ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland Writer says RU cancelled Yankee Stadium to save Money.

Marylands allready playing Texas at Fed Ex field next season.
That's not like playing in Camden Yard or Nationals Park.

Maryland is a good hoops program for sure. I could see their football team finishing 3-9 this year if we beat them. Indiana is favored by 5.5 over the Terps this week and their season ends with Michigan, Michigan State, and Penn State.

Everyone should have a problem with an "article" based on rampant speculation, as opposed to actual facts. The speculation doesn't even make sense - like the NYY just let us renege on a signed contract because we needed the $$ back?

The funniest part is how it's "angered fans of both teams" ...as RU fans hold the biggest celebration since Louisville '06.

What a bad blog post that guy wrote. Let's destroy MD special for him.
It's a blog, so I calibrate my sentiments accordingly.

From the Maryland student newspaper - I don't think that the student who wrote this should be counting on receiving any journalism awards in the future. Please hold your laughter:

"So ultimately, Rutgers made a decision to go from an exciting venue to their normal football stadium for a scheduling conflict that wound up not actually happening. We get the whole "playing it safe" thing, but come on — they couldn't have waited two more days? The lesson here is simple: Both Rutgers and the Yankees are the worst. (Our apologies to Kasim Hill and Kevin Huerter.)"

From the Maryland student newspaper - I don't think that the student who wrote this should be counting on receiving any journalism awards in the future. Please hold your laughter:

"So ultimately, Rutgers made a decision to go from an exciting venue to their normal football stadium for a scheduling conflict that wound up not actually happening. We get the whole "playing it safe" thing, but come on — they couldn't have waited two more days? The lesson here is simple: Both Rutgers and the Yankees are the worst. (Our apologies to Kasim Hill and Kevin Huerter.)"

The call on the field is "excessive butthurt". Upon further review, it is ruled that the author did in fact react in a manner inconsistent with any logic or reason. The ruling on the field is confirmed.

I went to the game there last year. You would have thought they were the 2-9 team and we were the one fighting for a bowl game. Our attendance is nothing to crow about, but their attendance that day was abysmal. I'm not sure football is as big a draw down there as much as B1GTerp likes to proclaim.
Wasn't attendance the main reason they fired Ralph Friedgen?

Reactions: cicero grimes
But that's the mystery. It's always been the mystery. "What's in it for us?"

The $750k "rental fee" is fact. Well established. You can listen to Politi wax pathetic about it, if you have time that isn't valuable to you.

Beyond that, we would get a cut of the gate. How much? No idea. But I doubt it would have much exceeded the $750k we were paying the Yankees given that we're down to about 16,000 season tickets (seats) and I highly doubt sales for the YS game outside of that demographic were very brisk. So worst case, the gate to rental ratio is break even, best case we pull in maybe another half a mil. We don't get any of the concession money from the Yankees. We don't get any parking revenue. There's no math that you can contrive, even with your Santa hat on, that brings the total revenue for that game to break-even, which would be $1.9M + $750k = $2.65M. So what was the point, other than "we're playing a game in Yankee Stadium", which nobody really wanted to do..?

To me it's like Occam's Razor. There's simply no logic behind why Rutgers would agree to such a horrible deal, therefore, the simplest explanation is that the deal has major elements we're unaware of. Either that or Hermann and Barchi were friggin' morons, lol.

To me it's like Occam's Razor. There's simply no logic behind why Rutgers would agree to such a horrible deal, therefore, the simplest explanation is that the deal has major elements we're unaware of. Either that or Hermann and Barchi were friggin' morons, lol.

Maybe some day, in the fullness of time, we'll hear a reliable accounting of what led to the near-disaster. Although I rather doubt it. We often hear accounts of disasters that happened, but not so many about "almost".

Hm.... doesn't sound like giving up a conference home game against a winnable opponent to play out of state on a baseball field they've already played on three times to me.

A comparable move would be to shift their home game against Illinois next year to Nationals Park in DC.... if they had already played three football games at Nationals Park in the past several years.

I'd have no problem with us scheduling a B12 opponent to play an OOC game at MetLife Stadium.

"Rutgers season ticket holders will be allocated their same seat locations as with all other games at High Point Solutions Stadium. All season ticket holders will be contacted regarding further details.

Single-game ticket purchasers will receive comparable seat locations, while those interested in purchasing single game tickets will have the option effectively immediately by going online at www.scarletknights.com. Rutgers students can claim their tickets online through the same process used for games at High Point Solutions Stadium on Monday, Oct. 30.

Season parking pass holders will be allocated the same parking lot and number of spaces as other games at the stadium at no additional cost.

Tickets and parking passes will be shipped as of Friday, Oct. 27. All tickets for Yankee Stadium are now null and void. Tickets for High Point Solutions Stadium will be printed and distributed to the original purchaser."

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...ubleheader_moved_out_of_yankee_stadium_f.html

That's not like playing in Camden Yard or Nationals Park.
+1
Isn't that a football stadium? Also not a league game.
+2, +3
And it's even located in their home state.
+4
Hm.... doesn't sound like giving up a conference home game against a winnable opponent to play out of state on a baseball field they've already played on three times to me.

A comparable move would be to shift their home game against Illinois next year to Nationals Park in DC.... if they had already played three football games at Nationals Park in the past several years.
+5

And the “+6” is I doubt Michael Dell and Redskins are charging Maryland $750,000.

So we’re up to six reasons why one of those things is not like the other.

It’s more like apples to tomatoes.

I wouldn't mind reading a fact based article on this subject someday regarding:

1) What was the REAL reason this game was ever scheduled for Yankee stadium in the first place. Did Delaney really want it? Or was it Julie? The Yankees? Some combination of the above?

2) What was the REAL financial calculus behind the decision? Was Rutgers really going to pay the Yankees for use of the stadium? If so, why? What's the point of speding $750,000 when you already have a stadium available free of charge? How would that financially benefit Rutgers? Or were the Yankees paying Rutgers to come to the stadium in exchange for parking and concession or some other rights to the game?

3) What was the REAL reason the game was changed and brought back to Rutgers Stadium?

Seems to me there's a lot of speculation from sports "writers" and fans alike, but I'm not convinced anyone has yet to get all of the facts straight.

I can only hope that the Big10 (Delaney) bending over for the bowl partnership is the reason we entered into such a shitty deal with our Yankee "partners". I can't see even RU (Hermann & Hobbs) being that independently stupid without leverage. The hayseeds from Iowa State loved the trip and the douche NBCU subway bandwagon jagoffs filled the stadium.

The big missing puzzle piece is the soccer angle, if true. WHEN was the MLS schedule determined? I gotta a bad feeling that we were only saved by the 11/5 soccer date.

Reactions: RU-AGK
If Barchi is doing this, I only hope that once the money train arrives he isn't thinking he can dip into it for other projects not related to athletics.

Careful here. Athletics has been "dipping into" money not meant for it for years.

Eventually, we'll be fine.

I make a solemn annual pilgrimage to Yankee Stadium to dunk a Jeffrey Maier doll in a toilet full of poop and then throw it under the D train but I already went this year and have no reason to go back. 21 years and I can't let it go.

Someone needs to tell this guy that he needs to stay away from his keyboard until basketball season starts, maybe then he can write a more legitimate article that contains factual information

When we make an announcement 2 weeks before the game and give a reason that doesn't make sense it certainly opens us up for criticism.

Reactions: BlockR
When we make an announcement 2 weeks before the game and give a reason that doesn't make sense it certainly opens us up for criticism.
Well Sarah will be the guest speaker at the next Touchdown Club meeting. Hopefully someone asks the right question on this.

+1
+2, +3
+4
+5

And the “+6” is I doubt Michael Dell and Redskins are charging Maryland $750,000.

So we’re up to six reasons why one of those things is not like the other.

It’s more like apples to tomatoes.
and the same people would complain here,shout they will not travel to Meadowlands for a game..dont kid yourself.We would hear how many miles it is from New Brunswick to East rutherford,lousy sight lines,parking..yadda yadda.

Well Sarah will be the guest speaker at the next Touchdown Club meeting. Hopefully someone asks the right question on this.

It appears the real answer is MLS soccer. Why not just say because RU has a homefield it was only logical to move the game to HPSS and let NY FC have their home field for their playoff game. Don't use the Yankees as the reason 13 hours before they get bounced.

I already did the math on this in a thread yesterday. Average game day revenue (2016 numbers) is $1.9M. So we get that, minus a few hundred grand in lost game day parking revenue. Add to that the $750k we won't be paying the Yankees and it's about a $2.2M swing.

Plus a sh*t ton of good will from the fan base.

Of all the team writers to write about another programs financial issues...

[laughing][laughing][laughing][laughing][laughing][laughing]

The financial situation is far worse than what is written about in this article. With Christie in Trenton the IG (an appointed position) has been kept at bay from looking into waste of State funds, improper conduct and mismanagement. Mark my words the moment P. Murphy wins the gubernatorial election there's going to be an immediate investigation of cornerstone and a potential class action suit of improper terminations of former UMDNJ employees. This will cost 10's of millions to defend. Rutgers will then fight your new Governor and South Jersey powerbrokers looking to increase their influence by demanding that the current 5 voting members on the BOT be increased to 15 and reducing the 16 alumni members to 6. Think outside the box for a moment to fully understand why the school is on a mission to save millions on the back of the B10 conference.

The politics and lawsuit culture in this country and state are the lowest level of humanity.

But this is a scary situation you've described so let me understand this more ..

Why would a class action suit be waiting for someone to investigate wasted funds ?

I wouldn't mind reading a fact based article on this subject someday regarding:

1) What was the REAL reason this game was ever scheduled for Yankee stadium in the first place. Did Delaney really want it? Or was it Julie? The Yankees? Some combination of the above?

------

I think part of the vision Delaney has, or had, is that RU would become the most followed college team in NYC, and this would enhance the tv ratings there also..... in his discussions with RU, he probably brought this up....and RU brought it up, as part of our sales pitch to be admitted to the big 10

so, this game was agreed to early on, in trying to sell the big 10 in NYC vision..... we agreed to it ...now the big 10 also is placing tourney games there....it is all part of that thought process.....

thing is, almost no one on the RU side liked the NY game, as the game got near.

The politics and lawsuit culture in this country and state are the lowest level of humanity.

But this is a scary situation you've described so let me understand this more ..

Why would a class action suit be waiting for someone to investigate wasted funds ?
The unions want a friend in Trenton and while it is only speculation I believe that deals have been struck between politicians on how to pursue this in such a manner to avoid a the appearance of a heavy handed approach. Mark my words there's going to be a referendum on the makeup of the BOT while not binding it will give Murphy momentum in the courts if he has public support.

Last edited:
The beauty of being NYC’s college football team is those people that made arrangements to stay in the city can still do so and conveniently get to the match/game.

Reactions: BigRnj
Hey another windfall will be the cheap Battle in the Bronx gear. You can buy a nifty t-shirt for pennies on the dollar! I wonder how much of that crap is already in a shipping container in Port Newark?

and the same people would complain here,shout they will not travel to Meadowlands for a game..dont kid yourself.We would hear how many miles it is from New Brunswick to East rutherford,lousy sight lines,parking..yadda yadda.
Not this guy.

Army game there while not ideal was nowhere near the same as this set up.

That one was:

1. In a football stadium
2. In the same state
3. Not a conference game
4. Made Rutgers money

Do you see the difference?

If we get better and have a product the Giants/Jets want to sell/promote IMO it’s worth for Rutgers to listen to see if the price is right for a nice payday for a premier OOC opponent. And I think that number would have to be north of $3M for Rutgers to consider.

Last edited:

does the 1.9 include season tix sales? IF so, we already got that part either way.
bottom line is this is good move IMHO. We lost the parking but we picked back up the $750 + in stadium stuff...and perhaps a bunch of additional tix sales.

This move saved me (at least) $100 of which I am willing to put some back into Rutgers somehow. [thumb2]

If Barchi is doing this, I only hope that once the money train arrives he isn't thinking he can dip into it for other projects not related to athletics.
I remember reading that the B1G money must go directly to the Athletic Dept. by B1G Bylaws. I'm sure that Barchi will reduce or completely eliminate the subsidy when the
B1G money starts pouring in.

Not this guy.

Army game there while not ideal was nowhere near the same as this set up.

That one was:

1. In a football stadium
2. In the same state
3. Not a conference game
4. Made Rutgers money

Do you see the difference?

If we get better and have a product the Giants/Jets want to sell/promote IMO it’s worth for Rutgers to listen to see if the price is right for a nice payday for a premier OOC opponent. And I think that number would have to be north of $3M for Rutgers to consider.
Plus you can tailgate in MetLife, which is half the fun anyway.

Which is a Football Stadium.

What the heck is so hard to figure out.

Not to mention it’s in their own state and a much bigger venue. ( vs. Yankee Baseball stadium)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT