ADVERTISEMENT

Matscouts National Ranking of Rutgers Recruits

bluemountain1967

Sophomore
Feb 8, 2020
Soldano # 16@ p4p and # 1 @ 182
Gayer #10 @ 160 (ahead of Ruiz, Fea, Norman & just lost to the #3 ranked kid in OT)
Casale #2 @ 220

Fongaro and Chletsos not ranked

The 3 uncommitted top 25 P4P wrestlers are in NJ or Pa. They are juniors

P4P #10 Shapiro Wyoming Seminary # 2 @ 145
P4P #12 McGowan Blair # 1 @ 120
P4P #13 Mullen St Joes Montvale. #2 heavyweight

With a number of guys graduating, the coaches may have funds available to offer a full scholarship to one of the top uncommitted kids. Looks we are going after quality and not quantity. Soldano and Casale have great resumes.

We can’t really go after quantity regardless. I believe we have 19 wrestlers who are considered freshmen athletically.

We can’t really go after quantity regardless. I believe we have 19 wrestlers who are considered freshmen athletically.
Agree need more quality over quantity....we will have some room with Bulsak, Rivera, Angelo, Benner, Campbell, Gapas, Robinson, Van Brill....who were all celebrated on Senior night.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Benner is a sr already?? Coulda sworn he was like a soph.. time flies…
Really does. Feels like he hit the lat drop against Angelo in the state finals not too long ago. Reality it’s been 6 years.

Really does. Feels like he hit the lat drop against Angelo in the state finals not too long ago. Reality it’s been 6 years.
Some of these guys have eligibility left, but they are graduating and will not come back. They are not getting much if any $$$ so to come back as a guy #2 or #3 on the depth chart really does not make sense for them.

Soldano # 16@ p4p and # 1 @ 182
Gayer #10 @ 160 (ahead of Ruiz, Fea, Norman & just lost to the #3 ranked kid in OT)
Casale #2 @ 220

Fongaro and Chletsos not ranked

The 3 uncommitted top 25 P4P wrestlers are in NJ or Pa. They are juniors

P4P #10 Shapiro Wyoming Seminary # 2 @ 145
P4P #12 McGowan Blair # 1 @ 120
P4P #13 Mullen St Joes Montvale. #2 heavyweight

With a number of guys graduating, the coaches may have funds available to offer a full scholarship to one of the top uncommitted kids. Looks we are going after quality and not quantity. Soldano and Casale have great resumes.
I'm hoping Soldano puts on a few pounds and goes 197. I expect him to be as competitive and ready as Poz was as a true frosh. I wonder what we might see from Casale - he'll have to bulk up in weight and strength. Not as easy a prediction as Soldano.

As for the uncommited, I expect they have plenty of choices. Has an Wyoming wrestler even gone to Rutgers? Blair we know about. And when I saw that Mullen had visited the Cowboys, I wrote him off.

I'm hoping Soldano puts on a few pounds and goes 197. I expect him to be as competitive and ready as Poz was as a true frosh. I wonder what we might see from Casale - he'll have to bulk up in weight and strength. Not as easy a prediction as Soldano.

As for the uncommited, I expect they have plenty of choices. Has an Wyoming wrestler even gone to Rutgers? Blair we know about. And when I saw that Mullen had visited the Cowboys, I wrote him off.
My guess on Soldano is he will go 174. He is going 190 because of the change of weights in NJ, if they had same weights as last year, think he would have been 182. With the weight being 175, he decided why cut weight when he can win the title at 190.

I think Soldano is a significantly better prospect than Poz was, though it would be unfair to expect him to match Poz’ #4 finish as a true freshman.

My guess on Soldano is he will go 174. He is going 190 because of the change of weights in NJ, if they had same weights as last year, think he would have been 182. With the weight being 175, he decided why cut weight when he can win the title at 190.
I had predicted 197 as long ago as last year because of his growth throughout high school. Of course, unless he has stopped growing. I certainly don't want to see another Sammy weight drop situation. It would be great for the line-up, but for him?

No plz… no super weight cuts.. i hope he goes 197.. or wrestle a weight he can focus on technique more.

No plz… no super weight cuts.. i hope he goes 197.. or wrestle a weight he can focus on technique more.
My contention is it will not be a super weight cut. Ask around what his natural weight is? If he weighs 185, is 174 a super weight cut? He is much shorter than his older brother. Of course if he grows 3 inches, that changes things. But currently 174 is not a super cut.

I was really hoping we would see more of Angelo this year. I thought the kid has such a high ceiling. I think the perfect weight would have been 157 or 165. For the life of me I don't know why the coaches did not utilize him more

My contention is it will not be a super weight cut. Ask around what his natural weight is? If he weighs 185, is 174 a super weight cut? He is much shorter than his older brother. Of course if he grows 3 inches, that changes things. But currently 174 is not a super cut.
Right, if it’s a ez cut to 174 then that would be great.. better for the overall team too.. i don’t think his natural weight is 185 tho as he’s wrestling 190 rn.. I’d imagine he’s cutting something to make 190 altho not much.

Watching Soldano’s matches/interviews he just is a winner… I’d be more surprised if he doesn’t AA then if he did..

I was really hoping we would see more of Angelo this year. I thought the kid has such a high ceiling. I think the perfect weight would have been 157 or 165. For the life of me I don't know why the coaches did not utilize him more
Agreed, he always has that big move potential too… dunno why we never see him at 157/65 tho… not like we need any help at those weights…

Right, if it’s a ez cut to 174 then that would be great.. better for the overall team too.. i don’t think his natural weight is 185 tho as he’s wrestling 190 rn.. I’d imagine he’s cutting something to make 190 altho not much.

Watching Soldano’s matches/interviews he just is a winner… I’d be more surprised if he doesn’t AA then if he did..
I assumed the long term plan based on what some people in the know have said in the past would be Turley 174, Soldano 184, Poz 197. Perhaps Janzer takes the 184 role next year as Soldano can redshirt.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I thought Angelo had a few more years. I think he grey shirted at Cornell redshirt here and Covid year.

I thought Angelo had a few more years. I think he grey shirted at Cornell redshirt here and Covid year.
He does, just like a few of the other guys that decided to participate in Senior night(some could change their mind).
But Angelo wrestled 1 match this season in the very first quad. So he was either injured or decided not to wrestle in the many open tournaments all the other back ups did.

Reactions: Leonard23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT