ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Matt Correnti enters the Transfer Portal

I don’t think Espo is a future AA or anything but I think he is a lot better than a lot of people here give him credit for. Last year he was a young heavyweight thrown into a starters role unexpectedly.

Goodale made a comment towards the end of last season saying “Espo is our guy moving forward” so I wonder if he saw Correnti’s transfer coming. I think Rider will have an opening at heavyweight.

I agree that Espo has been better than expected and as long as he keeps developing/getting stronger he will be fine to hold down the spot until Hamilton is ready, which hopefully includes a RS as well. I believe he had the most pins on the team last year as well.

Moreover, I had heard that Correnti wants to be at 197 rather than heavyweight.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I agree that Espo has been better than expected and as long as he keeps developing/getting stronger he will be fine to hold down the spot until Hamilton is ready, which hopefully includes a RS as well. I believe he had the most pins on the team last year as well.

Moreover, I had heard that Correnti wants to be at 197 rather than heavyweight.

Espo has a good frame and nice athletic ability for his size. As long as he continually improves his technique, endurance and strength, we might be pleasantly surprised with his progress.

Espo has a good frame and nice athletic ability for his size. As long as he continually improves his technique, endurance and strength, we might be pleasantly surprised with his progress.

Still in the Big Ten with all those heavyweights I don’t see him winning many matches. He’ll be ok against lesser D1 teams.

that big ten lineup of heavyweights is pretty brutal.. every weight in the big ten is.

Still in the Big Ten with all those heavyweights I don’t see him winning many matches. He’ll be ok against lesser D1 teams.

that big ten lineup of heavyweights is pretty brutal.. every weight in the big ten is.
Espo won’t be beating any of the top end big10 hwt(good chance big10 has 6+ AA at this weight). However, if he keeps improving can hang with Purdue,Illinois, Maryland, mich st, Indiana, northwestern hwt

Logical choice for Correnti is Rider - stays in NJ and there are family connections to Rider If he goes there, that will be the 4th guy we sent to Rider in the last few years. We don't need to be the training ground for future Rider wrestlers.

If any wrestler wants to transfer and the parting is amicable, I am perfectly fine with being the training ground for future Rider wrestlers...provided their replacement is an upgrade and we continue to beat Rider.

I think Correnti was told that he would not be the 197 starter. So, either we're getting a transfer or Janzer is bumping up.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Logical choice for Correnti is Rider - stays in NJ and there are family connections to Rider If he goes there, that will be the 4th guy we sent to Rider in the last few years. We don't need to be the training ground for future Rider wrestlers.
I would agree with Rider being a good choice. Laird has a redshirt to use so a good fit if Laird wants to use the redshirt.

He was not going to be the starter at 197 which is why he left.
So I’m guessing the plan is Janzer? I was hoping he would be a career 184, but it’s sounding like no big time transfer and Janzer is the only one on the roster who is clearly better than Correnti.

I could have wrestled 197 for RU but this home isolation has pushed me toward the heavyweights!!

He was not going to be the starter at 197 which is why he left.

Had nothing to do with who was going to be the starter. The coaches don't know that now and that is not the way they operate. They were other reasons why he left.

Well then I guess that's, that with 197. I guess Poz is now going to be asked to man 184 as a true freshman as we don't have another one of them on the team.

Looks like we're going with, "let the youth movement continue." This is going to be a helluva team in two years. If not, someone done screwed up big time.

Last edited:
Was this transfer a surprise, to those of you who follow the team closely? As a red-shirt senior, I'm assuming he is graduating and will be a grad transfer, which makes him eligible immediately.
I get the feeling that Matt was unhappy how he was treated at Rutgers. Seemed to be the odd man out the last three years.

Well then I guess that's, that with 197. I guess Poz is now going to be asked to man 184 as a true freshman as we don't have another one of them on the team.

Looks like we're going with, "let the youth movement continue." This is going to be a helluva team in two years. If not, someone done screwed up big time.

Not based on anything but I wonder if Turley can jump up to 184. Goodale said yesterday that Poz will do some opens before a red shirt is possibly pulled so someone has to go there.

What? How was he treated? You get what you give...
Switching back & forth between 197 & 285 is very difficult.
They are the two most difficult weight classes to switch back & forth between.
Tough to compete at 285 when you weigh 215 & tough to make weight at 197 after you weigh 215.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
Not based on anything but I wonder if Turley can jump up to 184. Goodale said yesterday that Poz will do some opens before a red shirt is possibly pulled so someone has to go there.
I didn't like that approach they used to fill 165 at taking an undersized 157 and plugging him in to compensate for their lack of recruiting prowess and I wouldn't like it here either. We'd see the same results, a kid too young and too small getting his ass handed to him. Just so we could pull out another dual meet win or two in order for Goodale to keep his winning match streak intact. The staff would have now wasted two years of his development. Because let's face it, all this year taught him was how not to make weight.

I agree with the fact I like the team better with Correnti at 97 and Janzer at 84 however, I would assume most on the board including myself have no idea how the scholarships are divided up. I’m sure the staff needs to free up some money for potential transfers or Suriano coming back. Maybe they’ve there eyes set up on potential incoming recruits in 2022 and have to wrestle guys earlier than they want. You can’t redshirt everyone and have to turnover classes especially ones that aren’t producing or force out by letting them know they aren’t in the plans for the following year. I’m sure the coaches have a plan for the future with tough decisions. There’s not too many wrestling scholarships so mistakes in recruiting are costly. Sorry for the rant.

Reactions: KidDagger
Heightwise, Janzer is such a small 197.
Switching back & forth between 197 & 285 is very difficult.
They are the two most difficult weight classes to switch back & forth between.
Tough to compete at 285 when you weigh 215 & tough to make weight at 197 after you weigh 215.

Most heavyweights these days are on the lighter side.

I don’t know what happens behind closed doors but Correnti had chances all year to take either spot. Pagano outwrestled him at 197 and he kept gassing out late in matches at heavy. That’s really all there is to it.

I didn't like that approach they used to fill 165 at taking an undersized 157 and plugging him in to compensate for their lack of recruiting prowess and I wouldn't like it here either. We'd see the same results, a kid too young and too small getting his ass handed to him. Just so we could pull out another dual meet win or two in order for Goodale to keep his winning match streak intact. The staff would have now wasted two years of his development. Because let's face it, all this year taught him was how not to make weight.

I don’t think they intended to throw Donner at 165 but Glasgow’s suspension didn’t help.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
It's being reported that Correnti is heading to Rider, which isn't a surprise.

If you listened to Scott’s pod with AA and Frankie Edgar, he mentioned short distance like Brown/Harvard and drive to Cornell. No West Coast duals

Yeah he also said were no go on the Cliff Keen but drives to the Scuffle and the Midlands could be doable.

ADVERTISEMENT