ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Matt Correnti enters the Transfer Portal

Lex Knapp

All Conference
Staff
Mar 27, 2018
Redshirt senior, Matt Correnti, has entered the transfer portal. The former starter at 197-lbs will be wrestling for a new school in his final season.

Correnti started his career in quality fashion at Rutgers, but struggled with consistency after attempting to move up to heavyweight in his redshirt season.

Click the link below for TKR’s story on Correnti’s move, and what in means for Rutgers wrestling moving forward into next season!
https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/rutgers-wrestling-s-matt-correnti-set-to-transfer-for-final-year

Lex, do you think Poz has the frame to go 197? He always looked shorter and stockier to me. I thought Janzer has more of the frame to go 197. Just curious.

Well that's certainly not good news. Need a transfer. The moving guys up or guys not ready failed at 165 lbs. Hoping the staff can find one.

I'm hoping for an incoming transfer with 1-2 years of eligibility so Poz can redshirt this year and Janzer can stay at 184.

I am trying to see if I can get any info, but my first guess is that Janzer out-grew 184. Goodale in one of his interviews last season said they were worried about Janzer in the pre-season making 184 last year...said he was well over 200lbs. Possible he is up to 215/220 and the coaches told him and Correnti that Janzer will be the 197lber. He has gotten bigger and stronger each year at RU, silly to keep lifting and putting on muscle only to cut all the way back down.
Hey at least this gave us some wrestling talk!!!

Lex, do you think Poz has the frame to go 197? He always looked shorter and stockier to me. I thought Janzer has more of the frame to go 197. Just curious.
I don’t like the idea of Poz at 197 off the bat. With a year or two of a college weight room, maybe. I can’t see him being big enough to be a suitable 197 next year. More importantly, I really do not like the idea of Janzer at 197. Not that I think he will go up, but Janzer should be a lifer at 184 if possible.

Was this transfer a surprise, to those of you who follow the team closely? As a red-shirt senior, I'm assuming he is graduating and will be a grad transfer, which makes him eligible immediately.

Poz will go 184.

ideally a RS year would be better for his long term goals, but this kid is ready to go unlike some of our other true freshman. He wrestled a college open tournament earlier in the year and was right there with some accomplished guys... he got better as the year went on.

he ripped through the states this year like it was Districts. Just dominant. Poz 184 and Janzer 197 isn’t the worst scenario.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Janzer appeared shorter at 184 than many of his opponents.
I am hoping he can continue making the 184 weight,
I liked Correnti, but it seemed like he could not find a weight he was comfortable at.

Do we have a 197 pound wrestler currently on our roster?
Any Potential 197 pound transfers (Weller?)

It will be interesting....Still Hoping that Seabass enters the portal!!

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Janzer appeared shorter at 184 than many of his opponents.
I am hoping he can continue making the 184 weight,
I liked Correnti, but it seemed like he could not find a weight he was comfortable at.

Do we have a 197 pound wrestler currently on our roster?
Any Potential 197 pound transfers (Weller?)

It will be interesting....Still Hoping that Seabass enters the portal!!
Right now, I think Lightner is the only returning wrestler at 197 listed on the roster.

He is a 197lber if it is a brutal cut to 184.

I don't recall him missing weight a single time (at least that I could remember) so it doesn't seem like there is a real/valid concern there but then again only a handful of people would truly know for sure. Usually those types of situations make themselves known (i.e. Turley) throughout the year but then again some guys are simply much more disciplined than others.

I don't recall him missing weight a single time (at least that I could remember) so it doesn't seem like there is a real/valid concern there but then again only a handful of people would truly know for sure. Usually those types of situations make themselves known (i.e. Turley) throughout the year but then again some guys are simply much more disciplined than others.

Yes, as I said, only speculating and still trying to find the video of Goodale saying they were worried about him making 84. And yes, some are more disciplined about making weight than others.
I was just trying to figure out why a 5th year wrestler that is the only 197 option would transfer. Something must have happened.....either Janzer moving up, a transfer.....

We need to get a big name assistant for an upper weight coach similar to Pritzlaff.

Janzer is too short for 197. If he’s having trouble making 184 he should commit to changing habits during the offseason. If he makes an effort to stay under 200 lbs and does not focus on putting on bulky muscle/mass he can stay at 184. He should focus on technique, flexibility, endurance and not heavy lifting.

I forgot about Epperly coming in at 197.
Doesn't seem to be a superstar coming out of college, but maybe he is a late bloomer. What did he finish this year? 5th in states

Yes, as I said, only speculating and still trying to find the video of Goodale saying they were worried about him making 84. And yes, some are more disciplined about making weight than others.
I was just trying to figure out why a 5th year wrestler that is the only 197 option would transfer. Something must have happened.....either Janzer moving up, a transfer.....

100% agree it doesn't make much sense for him to essentially give up a starting spot at 197 unless there was a major change forthcoming. Hopefully it means a big time transfer because even if Janzer is bumping up to a new weight he wouldn't be a sure thing and there is still 6-7 months until the next match.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Janzer is too short for 197. If he’s having trouble making 184 he should commit to changing habits during the offseason. If he makes an effort to stay under 200 lbs and does not focus on putting on bulky muscle/mass he can stay at 184. He should focus on technique, flexibility, endurance and not heavy lifting.
I agree absolutely. Some 197 lbers have the skill set to overcome or exploit their shorter statures. Kyle Snyder is relatively short for his weight class, but is heavily muscled and his style works with with stature. There was a great Georgian world champion at 96kg, Eldar Kurtanidze, very short but chiseled, and was able to overcome his lack of height. Always seemed to come out on top over a great Iranian Alireza Heidari. Daniel Cormier was a great short 96kg. Those are all exceptional wrestlers of course. .But watching Janzer this year, I don't think he can generate a lot of offense at 197 lbs. His offense was often limited at 184 lbs.

I forgot about Epperly coming in at 197.
Doesn't seem to be a superstar coming out of college, but maybe he is a late bloomer. What did he finish this year? 5th in states
I don’t think Epperly is a starting caliber big 10 wrestler, and especially not as a true freshman. He’s here for depth. Pretty sure Epperly’s father or uncle or someone was Goodale’s high school practice partner.

Hope the kid proves me wrong over his career.

I don’t think Epperly is a starting caliber big 10 wrestler, and especially not as a true freshman. He’s here for depth. Pretty sure Epperly’s father or uncle or someone was Goodale’s high school practice partner.

Hope the kid proves me wrong over his career.
Rob Johnson

I have no idea what he weighs but Niccolo Colluci is coming in as a freshman. Wrestled 220 as a senior in high school last year and took this year off. Not sure how close he was to 220 at the time or if he can make the cut to 197.

I have no idea what he weighs but Niccolo Colluci is coming in as a freshman. Wrestled 220 as a senior in high school last year and took this year off. Not sure how close he was to 220 at the time or if he can make the cut to 197.
I am not knocking the kid but if he is our starter we have problems

Reactions: koleszar and MS-RU
He's a potential body at 197 sure, but I can't imagine him being a starter here for a few years at a minimum. Same with Epperly. He has the size/frame but needs to a lot of work to develop into a contributor.

If either of those guys are starters in 2020-2021, yikes.

Reactions: JudgeSmails56
He's a potential body at 197 sure, but I can't imagine him being a starter here for a few years at a minimum. Same with Epperly. He has the size/frame but needs to a lot of work to develop into a contributor.

If either of those guys are starters in 2020-2021, yikes.
Don’t think either guys had an influence on Correntti’s decision to transfer especially when he was the favorite to start 197... so the real question is y did he transfer ..... shitliner#2?

I thought this was a thread about Correnti entering the transfer portal? Funny how quickly some threads can be hijacked.

Reactions: RU23
A bit OT but who was the South Plainfield wrestler who started as a freshman at 197 then left for the Marines, I believe? Had a very solid year in a difficult spot. Hope he is doing well right now (in Arizona I seem to remember). $$$$

A bit OT but who was the South Plainfield wrestler who started as a freshman at 197 then left for the Marines, I believe? Had a very solid year in a difficult spot. Hope he is doing well right now (in Arizona I seem to remember). $$$$
Was it M. Wagner?

Reactions: IsItLuck
Chris Weiler would be a good one to get. I think a grad assistant of some sort is crucial even at 165 perhaps.

Definitely going to need a transfer there. I’m not confident that Janzer is a successful 197, doesn’t really have the big frame for it. Also had trouble getting up from bottom at 184.

I don’t think Lightner or Epperly are the long term solutions either but the weight class has been under recruited so maybe the plan all along had been to go Grello/Turley, Janzer/Poz, Correnti/Janzer, Espo from 174 up. Correnti leaving pushes that up a year.

I don’t know if he’s big 10 caliber anymore but it would be ironic if Tyree Sutton transferred in and took the spot for a year.

Chris Weiler would be a good one to get. I think a grad assistant of some sort is crucial even at 165 perhaps.
I'm not so worried about 165 now that Kannaird seems to have made a successful transition to the weight on the open circuit. Another year of strength and conditioning for him and he'll hold his own. No denying it, Heavyweight and 197 right now look like huge holes. Staff simply can't fail in getting transfers to fill them. Going with what we have now in the B1G will be a recipe for frustration.

Reactions: MS-RU
I don’t think Espo is a future AA or anything but I think he is a lot better than a lot of people here give him credit for. Last year he was a young heavyweight thrown into a starters role unexpectedly.

Goodale made a comment towards the end of last season saying “Espo is our guy moving forward” so I wonder if he saw Correnti’s transfer coming. I think Rider will have an opening at heavyweight.

Reactions: MS-RU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT