ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Basketball G Derek Simpson enters Transfer Portal

This puts us at even for next year.
Any transfers in require an equal transfer out.

He'll be missed for his defense and free throw shooting but it wasn't going to be possible to keep him and JMike both on the team. They are too similar. Still more dominoes to fall.

Want to thank Derek for his hard playing for the Knights. Things did not work but he tried hard. Sometimes too hard.
Having said that there are hundreds of guards that can consistently make a driving layup into traffic and take contact. Derek never did. His mid range game could have made a huge difference but his shooting never got on track. Sad because he showed promise his freshman year.

Pike can now go get a three point shooting guard that can also finish at the rim. That would be an ideal replacement

It’s a shame it didn’t work out for him. He does most things well for a guard EXCEPT shooting.
Except shooting is what a guard needs to be able to do.

I wish him luck and hope he succeeds at his next stop.

I think he'll be real good at a lower level where he'll beat everybody to the tin, a lot of his layup misses were challenged in B1G--makeable (see the Uconn guards that make almost every contested layup)--but not free trips. His jump shot is a different story.

I thought Simpson did a lot of things really really well , especially on defense … except shooting and finishing at the rim. Which unfortunately were both near the bottom of the power 5 for an individual this year . It’s hard because you see a lot of potential there but he can’t be in the top 7 with another offensive season like that. And he had a whole lot of minutes to work himself out of a slump… so the conclusion had to be .. it’s not a slump.

He hit on it in the tweet. That Maryland game was hard to watch derek, his confidence was shot. Not for lack of effort but he needed new scenery. We needed him too much and too early, before he could develop.
Lack of confidence was warranted. Couldn’t shoot. At all. No time for that stuff.

Good luck to him. Yes a good foul shooter but last 5 games someone wrote never shot a foul shot. Need someone who can shoot the ball.
That was me - but if I recall correctly, he took (and made) two attempts in his last five games. Something went off the rails. He needs a change of scenery too, IMO. Good luck to Derek moving forward (except in any games where he might face us, of course!).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT