ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Basketball G Derek Simpson enters Transfer Portal

I made references to it.

You can downplay it, but I am certain it contributed to his shooting and overall play.
You made a good observation at least mid season (PSU) maybe earlier, might have missed it, and this is a good take. But do wonder what rubbed his teammates the wrong way...just his inefficiency...which then became a snowball / downward spiral.

Strange for guys to have a such a problem with a personality that seems so likable to some of us.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
The guys not picking him up when he went down in the Miss State game was telling.
1. Jwill yelling "ball ball" when Derek had the ball
2. Gavin, of all people, shaking his head when Derek didn't pass
3. Players not making eye contact/walking away when he speaks in huddle
4. Not picking him up multiple times when he went down

Reactions: SBP
You made a good observation at least mid season (PSU) maybe earlier, might have missed it, and this is a good take. But do wonder what rubbed his teammates the wrong way...just his inefficiency...which then became a snowball / downward spiral.

Strange for guys to have a such a problem with a personality that seems so likable to some of us.
JUST a GUESS...early in the season he tried real hard to be the man and assert himself as the leader when the team clearly wasn't ready for that.

His inability to pass definitely made it worse and then his woeful shooting

Derek’s issues are Derek’s issues. I don’t want to hear he didn’t perform well because of his teammates. That wasn’t talked about all season. So let’s not overcomplicate this or make excuses. He didn’t handle the expectations well. As the season wore on his performance got worse because he knew he wasn’t performing well. He needs a fresh start at a lower level where he won’t be expected to be an all B1G performer.
I mean I think he clearly would be a better player if asked to shoulder less of the offense. And that was talked about all season.

I kind of doubt it just because the rest of the team was also super inefficient. Yes he was the worst in that respect but he wasn’t a standout the way he would’ve been on virtually any other team.

I kind of doubt it just because the rest of the team was also super inefficient. Yes he was the worst in that respect but he wasn’t a standout the way he would’ve been on virtually any other team.
I think it was probably his usage rate that was off putting. The worst percentage shooter on the team shouldn’t be the guy taking the most shots.

As long as we don’t lose ogbole we’ll be fine..I think he’s gonna be special…he’s freaking 290 pounds and coming off a knee injury last season..he got his feet wet this year and will be a beast next year

1. Jwill yelling "ball ball" when Derek had the ball
2. Gavin, of all people, shaking his head when Derek didn't pass
3. Players not making eye contact/walking away when he speaks in huddle
4. Not picking him up multiple times when he went down

Never noticed any of this while it was happening but wow. Did we have a team full of jerks? Too bad some of the other guys didn't have Simpson's competitive drive and effort.

Reactions: G- RUnit
Never noticed any of this while it was happening but wow. Did we have a team full of jerks? Too bad some of the other guys didn't have Simpson's competitive drive and effort.
I'll bet it is rare to have cohesive units where everyone likes one another and get along.

We have had success without everyone getting along.
Eugene O was not a favorite of players
Jacob Young was not a favorite either of some of the vets
Mathis and Caleb would shake their head (many times) when Paul came in to games

Reactions: BigEastPhil
Every single guy on the team was a brick layer.

Yes - but the guy we’re talking about put the ball through the net only 30.5% of the time.

Cliff did so 51.2% of the time. J Will 44.4%. Mag 38.7%. Hyatt 37.6%. Ja Mike 37.1%. These are significantly higher numbers from every other guy averaging 23+ Min on the team and yet Simpson shot way more than all except Hyatt.

Reactions: Scangg
As long as we don’t lose ogbole we’ll be fine..I think he’s gonna be special…he’s freaking 290 pounds and coming off a knee injury last season..he got his feet wet this year and will be a beast next year
Good chance.

Agree. Ogbole has wild, Myles Johnson like potential.

Both small and quick. Both good defenders and poor shooters. But Derick makes his free throws. How do you see them as different?
If you listened to yesterday’s podcast (with MB and RS ) they gave a very informative take comparing both players. I will stand by my professional take😊. JMike is the better choice to stay.

Reactions: Scangg
Considering the expected role: 4th guard after Dylan, Transfer, JWill

I don’t think “Simpson v. Davis” will really matter this upcoming season.
Either player would hopefully have minimal impact on the team.

We’re talking about likely 10m/game.

I think it was probably his usage rate that was off putting. The worst percentage shooter on the team shouldn’t be the guy taking the most shots.
His usage wasn't outrageous for the main ball handler, JWill was much higher and Simpson was similar to Mag, Hyatt, Gavin, and Cliff. There were also 4 guys who took more shots per 40.

I didn't think he was very good this year, but his size and ability to move are impressive.

What did you like about his game this season?

His usage wasn't outrageous for the main ball handler, JWill was much higher and Simpson was similar to Mag, Hyatt, Gavin, and Cliff. There were also 4 guys who took more shots per 40.
Jeremiah William’s made over 44% of his shots. Simpson finished last in all of D1. Literally. His shot volume was off the charts for a guy with such poor results. Last year was understandable for Paul’s surrounding cast of guard ball handlers to end up with high volume. Paul didn’t like taking shots at the end of the shot clock. That left Caleb and sometimes Derek when he was in stuck hoisting. This year Derek just couldn’t put the ball in the basket and kept shooting it.

Jeremiah William’s made over 44% of his shots. Simpson finished last in all of D1. Literally. His shot volume was off the charts for a guy with such poor results. Last year was understandable for Paul’s surrounding cast of guard ball handlers to end up with high volume. Paul didn’t like taking shots at the end of the shot clock. That left Caleb and sometimes Derek when he was in stuck hoisting. This year Derek just couldn’t put the ball in the basket and kept shooting it.
J Will's Efg% of 46ish% was still pretty bad, even if it was much better than Simpson's, and he jacked up more shots than anyone when he was out there. JWill % was still lower than the 13th place team in conference in Efg%. JWill's strength is the most inefficient strength one can have.

Tried to figure out what you were comparing there. JWilliams played far better than DS . Derek was unable to play under control .

J Will's Efg% of 46ish% was still pretty bad, even if it was much better than Simpson's, and he jacked up more shots than anyone when he was out there. JWill % was still lower than the 13th place team in conference in Efg%. JWill's strength is the most inefficient strength one can have.
Just stop. Jeremiah proved he could finish drives and dish passes in his first few games. We had no other playmakers. Eventually they figured him out. Outside of FT shooting, Simpson isn’t materially better than J Will at anything.

Just stop. Jeremiah proved he could finish drives and dish passes in his first few games. We had no other playmakers. Eventually they figured him out. Outside of FT shooting, Simpson isn’t materially better than J Will at anything.
Well, except dribbling without falling down, not committing fouls, turns it over less, ect. JWill is borderline elite in the paint and midrange. Overall, he's below average offensively because of his lack of ability from the outside. If you ask me who is better two years from now, it wouldn't shock me if it's Simpson.
Unfortunately, the paint and mid range is where we will see Dylan most of the time, they aren't a great match together unless we get a couple shooters on the floor with them for extra spacing.

Well, except dribbling without falling down, not committing fouls, turns it over less, ect. JWill is borderline elite in the paint and midrange. Overall, he's below average offensively because of his lack of ability from the outside. If you ask me who is better two years from now, it wouldn't shock me if it's Simpson.
Unfortunately, the paint and mid range is where we will see Dylan most of the time, they aren't a great match together unless we get a couple shooters on the floor with them for extra spacing.

Dude - stop. Jeremiah only played real teams. Remember? How can you compare turnover rates. He averaged 12.2 ppg. The biggest difference between them is he finishes in transition and penetration. Which is a huge deal. When the focus isn’t on him he could put up big numbers.

Reactions: RUBOB72 and cm_13
Dude - stop. Jeremiah only played real teams. Remember? How can you compare turnover rates. He averaged 12.2 ppg. The biggest difference between them is he finishes in transition and penetration. Which is a huge deal. When the focus isn’t on him he could put up big numbers.
Only played against Big Ten competition and it quickly became apparent to opposing teams that shutting him down was the key to beating us. The amount we were asking Jeremiah to do from the moment he stepped onto the court this season was crazy.

Reactions: RUBOB72
Has anyone seen one of those posts/reports that lists teams that have reached out to Simpson? I'm very curious where he will end up.

i felt the same about Jacob Young and he had good seasons after he left
He played one year at Oregon after he left and his scoring average, and FG, 3pt and FT shooting percentages all decreased significantly…

He played one year at Oregon after he left and his scoring average, and FG, 3pt and FT shooting percentages all decreased significantly…
didn't realize that. he was a key piece on a decent team though. his Offensive Rating on KenPom was actually higher that year on Oregon though.

didn't realize that. he was a key piece on a decent team though. his Offensive Rating on KenPom was actually higher that year on Oregon though.
Not sure exactly how ORtg is defined (it did go up very slightly) but looking at his overall stats they look clearly worse in his last season compared to his 2nd season at Rutgers and the other advanced stats (box plus/minus, Bart's PPRG!) seem to bear that out as well:

Reactions: toby83
Jesus. Williams committed 21 turnovers in 12 B1G games, Simpson 29 in 21. Simpson averaged more assists and rebounds against B1G teams, and he had to play every game, not fresh legs for just 12. WE ALL KNOW JW was a better finisher than Derek. It's not a huge deal though when it's still below average. He's also only really valuable with the ball in his hands. When the ball is in his hands the focus will be on him.

Jesus. Williams committed 21 turnovers in 12 B1G games, Simpson 29 in 21. Simpson averaged more assists and rebounds against B1G teams, and he had to play every game, not fresh legs for just 12. WE ALL KNOW JW was a better finisher than Derek. It's not a huge deal though when it's still below average. He's also only really valuable with the ball in his hands. When the ball is in his hands the focus will be on him.
Bricking wide open mid range jumpers time after time is as bad as a turnover

Go watch the first 3 games he played. J Will was dishing and finding guys. Lots of assists. Teams figured out that if they focused on stopping J Will they could shut us down as before because we still didn’t have anyone else who could score consistently. Next year hopefully we will. The blended stats include a lot of desperation turnovers by J Will when our season was over at points when we were just riding out games where the outcome was already decided.

JWill and Simpson are both equally bad from 3. But JWill's offensive game is much better in every other respect. Could Simpson improve? Maybe. But so could JWill.

Having said that, I agree with the general concern that with no reliable 3 point threats our O will become one dimensional.

Bricking wide open mid range jumpers time after time is as bad as a turnover
Perhaps, but when its the only open look a team can create, you need to take it. It's not like 90% of our possessions didn't end in a missed shot or anything. 5 of the bottom 250 guys in the country in Efg%. That's amazing.

Go watch the first 3 games he played. J Will was dishing and finding guys. Lots of assists. Teams figured out that if they focused on stopping J Will they could shut us down as before because we still didn’t have anyone else who could score consistently. Next year hopefully we will. The blended stats include a lot of desperation turnovers by J Will when our season was over at points when we were just riding out games where the outcome was already decided.
He played well, but he also shot 41% in those three games. Don't forget, Mag was probably our best player during that three game stretch, not JWill.
It was only JWill with desperation turnovers? I expected leadership from JWill down the stretch, I believe he provided the opposite by disappearing for large stretches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT