ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Basketball G Derek Simpson enters Transfer Portal

More of this four game stuff. Game one, JWill scored 10 points on 12 shots and had 2 assists (Simpson had 19 on 13 shots and 6 assists). Both Cliff and Mag had 15. Game two, JWill had 14 points and 1 assist (highly pass first). Mag w 15, Derek w 3 assists and two less to's than JWill. Game 3, JWill played well, taking 15 shots to score 18, but did add 7 assists. Cliff went 13/13/and 8 blocks, Noah scored 17 on 6 shots, Mag w 12, Hyatt 11, Simpson w 3 boards, 5 assists, 3 steals - EVERYONE contributed. Game 4, was another good JWill game w 15 and 6, and five other guys scored 8 or more. Believe this was game where Oskar had 9 points in 1st half to keep us in and J Will played well in the 2nd? Simpson and Noah w 3 assist each also.

While JWill led team in scoring those four games, that was more because he took 12 more shots than Cliff and Mag didn't play game 4. Simpson led in assists and had double the steals anyone else did those four. Everyone contributed, but JWill was a nice breath of fresh ajr.
The most interesting thing to me, in those four, with lots of guys contributing, Gavin went 1-16 w 2 points scored. Nothing from him.
A guy who hasn’t played in a couple of years and suddenly leads the team in scoring is pretty impressive to me. Much more likely to continue improving as he shakes off the rust vs someone who has been such a historically bad shooter. JWill had Illinois and then Rutgers after him, even after serious injuries. It’s hard to fathom Simpson getting any P6 interest in the portal.

Reactions: shields
We have several here who have a lovefest with DS. Great kid but let’s move on … hopefully better days for RU MBB . Just watching all these games should be a wake up call. Our talent sucked this season. Add that to the no shows and how did we expect to make the tournament.

I think Gavin is getting 24 min next year too, so take that down to 28 for new guy, JMike, and the freshman.

I mean - just so we’re on the page, you realize that your bashing J Will’s 44.4% and in the same breath your penciling in 24 minutes for a guy who shot 27.4% from the floor during the same stretch of time. Yes - Gavin was better later in the season but I’d hardly call his 31% from deep during that stretch great especially since many of his 3s came in garbage time.

But to your original point - either Gavin is going to come in next year and suddenly shoot around 35% or better from deep at high volume, in which case, he will address the concern you have about J will and Dylan not being 3 point shooters anyway - or there is no way he’s playing 24 minutes unless we stink again because outside shooting is what he would conceivably bring to the table. He’s not going to be playing for his elite defense, passing or penetration. It would be his outside shooting. Am I missing something in that he either gets a lot better with perimeter shooting or he’s not playing 24 mpg?

I mean - just so we’re on the page, you realize that your bashing J Will’s 44.4% and in the same breath your penciling in 24 minutes for a guy who shot 27.4% from the floor during the same stretch of time. Yes - Gavin was better later in the season but I’d hardly call his 31% from deep during that stretch great especially since many of his 3s came in garbage time.

But to your original point - either Gavin is going to come in next year and suddenly shoot around 35% or better from deep at high volume, in which case, he will address the concern you have about J will and Dylan not being 3 point shooters anyway - or there is no way he’s playing 24 minutes unless we stink again because outside shooting is what he would conceivably bring to the table. He’s not going to be playing for his elite defense, passing or penetration. It would be his outside shooting. Am I missing something in that he either gets a lot better with perimeter shooting or he’s not playing 24 mpg?
No, I think it's Pikes intent to play him that time. Gavin was awful this year, shot 28% the last 12 games and his minutes went up and there was no attempt to reign in his jacking up of shots. It's possible he shoots 28% again and Pike pulls back, but I think that's his plan to start the season.

That said, I expect steps forward from any freshman. Obviously that didn't happen with last year's freshman, so nothing is guaranteed.

JWill has so much potential imo. If he works on his spot up 3 shot and gets coaching on his dishes when the big rolls to the hoop (like the idea but not a lot of good is happening if the big catches the ball 13-14 feet from the hoop), next year is going to be exciting. He looks to score and has an eye open to make the pass, his takes to the hoop are consistently strong and under control, almost all short range shots are under control.

I'm praying the staff is telling him that spot up 3's are the top priority for him in the off-season.

I'm excited to see him with Dylan and Ace. I think that will allow him to be more efficient.

100% must change his shoes. Again, the staff has to address if needed.

There is no universe where Simpson ends up the better college player by the time he is done. None.

I see Rocket Watts is now on Oakland. I knew I remembered that name. Played for MSU a couple years ago before bouncing around to Mississippi and then Oakland. Is this Simpson in a few years?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT