ADVERTISEMENT

Mawot Mag: Per Jerry Carino

BigEastPhil

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2007
Per Jerry Carino: "I'm hearing good things about Mawot Mag as someone who appears ready to take advantage of the available minutes".

Good to hear as we can have 3 significant additions who will be contributors to the team this year: Cliff Omoruyi; Oskar Palmquist and Mawot Mag - let alone possibly Dean Reiber as well.

I just mentioned in another thread a couple days ago that I thought he would get important minutes and play an important role after another poster thought he would get almost no minutes at all. He is supposedly very tough and goes strong to the boards.

When Caleb announced his red shirt - I knew Oskar or Mag had to be playing well.

I also thought that was likely a consideration when it was announced; my assumption had been Oskar though.

One thing about Mag is there won't be an adjustment to the speed or skill level. He played at one of those prep schools along with a bunch of highly rated recruits and they played against similar opponents.

Mag will be a plus defender from his first time on the court. He was also the only selfless player on that Prolific Prep team. I’m really excited to see him play this year.

Mag will be a plus defender from his first time on the court. He was also the only selfless player on that Prolific Prep team. I’m really excited to see him play this year.
wow.. I cannot believe how easy it is going to be to root for these guys... as a Rutgers fan, I have no basis upon which to process this much goodness... I think we will all need some kind of psychological help... it is just too much...

Rutgers fan meets the 2020 team...
tenor.gif

I just hope he isn't TOO SELFLESS.. like some have been recently.. though, that is a better problem to have than the opposite. That's a great place from which to start.

Hey Rutgers Basketball....
tenor.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: KevH
I still think it's Geo, Mathis and Harper at 1, 2 and 3 with Palmquist and Mag spliting the 4.

Nine deep with Johnson at 5 with Young, Mulcahy and Omoruyi also off the bench. Duke and Reiber as emergency guys in case of foul trouble. Young could start but I like him as spark off the bench.

I think you always must have either Young or Mathis on the court for at all times for backcourt pressure.

Who is the last freshman to not exceed expectations? Doucoure? We are Already hearing positives about both Oskar and Mag. And Cliff is a stud. I expect this class to be very good. Everyone will have to earn their minutes.

Reactions: hughthompson
Who is the last freshman to not exceed expectations? Doucoure? We are Already hearing positives about both Oskar and Mag. I expect this class to be very good. Everyone will have to earn their minutes.
It almost feels like Oskar isn’t a freshman since he had all of last semester with the team.

wow.. I cannot believe how easy it is going to be to root for these guys... as a Rutgers fan, I have no basis upon which to process this much goodness... I think we will all need some kind of psychological help... it is just too much...

Rutgers fan meets the 2020 team...
tenor.gif

I just hope he isn't TOO SELFLESS.. like some have been recently.. though, that is a better problem to have than the opposite. That's a great place from which to start.

Hey Rutgers Basketball....
tenor.gif
Jason Kidd's famous quote.

"Everybody likes to play on a team with a guy who passes the ball."

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
That is not true. Coleman Hawkins was especially known for his passing and deferring on offense. He was a 20+ scorer at his high school before coming to PP. He said he knew he wouldn’t get as many shots but wanted to challenge himself against top competition. Averaged about 12 a game.

In fact, other than the two superstars, the rest of that team was pretty unselfish.

That is not true. Coleman Hawkins was especially known for his passing and deferring on offense. He was a 20+ scorer at his high school before coming to PP. He said he knew he wouldn’t get as many shots but wanted to challenge himself against top competition. Averaged about 12 a game.

In fact, other than the two superstars, the rest of that team was pretty unselfish.

Pike wanted that guy.

Wow, how many Polific Prep games did you watch?

I'm glad Pikiell & Co. don't let injuries get in the way of recruiting players they want. Mag would have had at least a dozen more offers if he was healthy the past two years. Also, it's doubtful Myles would be on the banks if he had a healthy senior scholastic season.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
This is outstanding news, particularly hearing that our staff is wowed by Mag. I remember some feelings on this board questioning him as a recruit. Can't wait to see this team in action again. The sky is the limit!

People have been overlooking him ever since pike got him. You have to be inspired by his personal story. And his style of play reminds me of Eugene in his Sophomore year, before he became a black hole on offense in his junior year. Mag is gonna do a lot of the important underrated little things this team needs and that winning teams get

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT