ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Mawot Mag will enter the transfer portal

What program in their right mind would take a chance on a kid who is out more than he plays?

I don't know anything about these things.....So where is all this money coming from? How are we paying Ace and Dylan? Is it from the same pool that could have kept Cam and Paul here? Or have Cliff stay?
Just look at where Dylan did his announcement with Jalen Rose. When your a projected lottery pick 3rd parties will pick up the tab. Not for Mawot, Paul, Cliff etc.

Pure speculation on my part, but I think that the dinero that Paul and Cam got had an effect on some of the guys that stayed and didn't get that kind of money.
I have no idea why Mawot practiced and didn't play. I have entertained the possibility he was holding us up for ransom. My confidence isn't that high though.

He stayed last year because of what Rutgers did for him and because of Steve. He was offered a huge number by an SEC team and stayed. I felt that such loyalty would carry over. It's a new world. As to Cliff, he was offered high 6 figures last year and stayed. Stayed for much less. His parents wanted a Rutgers degree. He will get that. Can't see him staying.
Richie just said he wasn't happy with his role and the staff. He hated playing the four last year.

I don’t get why he wouldn’t wanna play on next year’s team.
US_one_dollar_bill%2C_obverse%2C_series_2009.jpg

He checked out on this team way before entering the portal. If you’re a coach does that affect his perceived value to you?

I don't know the details of why he didn't play down the stretch. Perhaps injury, perhaps what others have said. Either way, a healthy, happy Mag would have been perfect for next years team.

Thank you for your service and goodbye. Should have cut ties last spring

These players are insufferable. Imagine Rutgers taking care of his injury and giving cash but then the kid acts like this...disgraceful
Not only that, Mag and Cliff are not exactly shooting, scoring, and offensive savants. Our offense was atrocious last year. They were not fully responsible for those issues, but they were involved with many others. I am all for new life and new talent being brought in here, right now we can add 3 portal players. Maybe we’ll be able to get 5 if Oskar and Ogbole leave (hoping they do), then the key annd biggest issue will be if Pike can properly evaluate and select the right players in the portal. We’ll find out as the portal is going to have a huge impact on next year’s team (positively or negatively).

Magic question that I dont know enough about. We have 5 Frosh coming in with Ace, Dylan, Lathan, Grant and Dortch. Assume thats costing a pretty penny. If we are keeping Gavin and Jwill again probably tsking some $. Ogbole cant imagine is much.

Do we have $ for 4-5 more spots to get quality players?

Let’s trade Mag for Ndongo via the portal, I would take that in a heartbeat. Not realistic to happen, but would take it if possible.
I thought last year the rumor was that Hobbs was trying to lure him Georgia Tech after he left. He had already flipped Ndongo.

I have no idea why Mawot practiced and didn't play. I have entertained the possibility he was holding us up for ransom. My confidence isn't that high though.
He didn’t want to play as he knew he was entering the portal. He didn’t want any further injuries as he is a guy who already has to be looked at as injury prone. He wanted to protect his future interests. His first concern was ME and for sure not WE (the team). Anyone who actually thinks he was hurt or could not play near season’s end due to injury is kidding themselves. Richie said it today on the pod, said Mag was healthy to play and chose not to play, he clearly called it out on the pod today.

• Angry
Reactions: bac2therac
I thought last year the rumor was that Hobbs was trying to lure him Georgia Tech after he left. He had already flipped Ndongo.
Correct, Rutgers managed to keep Mag and stop him from leaving, but Mag was already nearly out of here once. We certainly shouldn’t be shocked. Mag probably figures that worked last year to get some money out of Rutgers, probably figures other schools will pay more and I assume he figures the Rutgers well has somewhat dried up for him this year based upon what went down last year. Meaning, he’s not going to be able to pull the same shenanigans a second time. Plus, maybe there is more money out there for him than RU will provide him. I can’t blame him for leaving, I just don’t love the way he went about it and question how committed he ever was to this season.

He didn’t want to play as he knew he was entering the portal. He didn’t want any further injuries as he is a guy who already has to be looked at as injury prone. He wanted to protect his future interests. His first concern was ME and for sure not WE (the team). Anyone who actually thinks he was hurt or could not play near season’s end due to injury is kidding themselves. Richie said it today on the pod, said Mag was healthy to play and chose not to play, he clearly called it out on the pod today.

Pike should have booted him

But they just wanted some extra cash to buy a sandwich

And for the 3rd string center to hold a bball camp at his high school…that one will always stick with me.

Pike should have booted him

Worked at PSU. I get there has to be balance and regardless if they are paid players at this point you need to maintain cohesion as it’s still a team game - and there are other people impacted by decisions. Mag may have been popular in the locker room for example.

To me this is why folks are glass half empty on Pike’s ability to manage the personnel side of the new CBB landscape.

Reactions: bac2therac
Mag & the other Omoruyi (Oregon’s poachee) both ended up being traitors.
Using Rutgers, then bolting..
We would never have scheduled a game in Toronto.
Mag could have paid for his own Rehab..
Cliff’s situation, while I do not agree with it, would be understandable if it is a financial decision.
At least he played through the year, & he took plenty a beating & could have milked an over-exaggerated injury.
But people saying a better St John’s graduate degree, c’mon!? Better NBA prep!? No
Had he stayed, his Jersey could have been up there in the ring of honor & would have gotten a lot of exposure playing with future NBA stars, & in a deep NCAA run..

Last edited:
Truth be told had Steve Pikiell removed Mag from the active roster without giving the correct reason Rutgers would have been in the news and not in a good way. It was quite obvious in numerous post game pressers that when Mag was not playing and Steve hesitating about the injury, post surgical or not , many here began to realize Mag was cleared but unwilling to play. The several games he did play we went on the 5 game win streak I believe. It put us at 15-10 with some real possibilities going forward.Clearly this player let his team down.

Truth be told had Steve Pikiell removed Mag from the active roster without giving the correct reason Rutgers would have been in the news and not in a good way. It was quite obvious in numerous post game pressers that when Mag was not playing and Steve hesitating about the injury, post surgical or not , many here began to realize Mag was cleared but unwilling to play. The several games he did play we went on the 5 game win streak I believe. It put us at 15-10 with some real possibilities going forward.Clearly this player let his team down.
He was playing until he had 2 bad games then he quit….

Reactions: runrutgersrun
He was hit and miss and when his TEAM needed him he QUIT pure and simple. Let’s not think he was anything but concerned about one person …Mawot Mag… good for Mag.
Absolutely. All about Mag. But I still doubt he would’ve quit if he was playing at a high level because it would’ve boosted his NIL stock. He wasn’t doing great and continuing to do poorly would’ve cast doubt on his post major injury health. I bet that, and not saving his body, is the real reason and yes - it’s absolutely a quitter mentality.

Haven't heard a pin drop on Mag. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets no offers and begs Pike to return. I think he's out of luck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT