ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Mawot Mag will enter the transfer portal

Why would any program trust him, after what he pulled at RU? Hes a good player, but is he worth the trouble. Maybe Hobbs vouches for him at Ga Tech

They should offer him a preferred walkon spot. No scholarship. He can pay us back some of the scholarship money he stole at the end of last season.

Mag came through a lot in life. His family struggled in a way most of us probably can’t understand. He isn't going to the NBA. He has to take his one shot at a life changing payday seriously. I think he may have made a bad choice and misplayed his hand. But I wish him and his family the best.

Mag came through a lot in life. His family struggled in a way most of us probably can’t understand. He isn't going to the NBA. He has to take his one shot at a life changing payday seriously. I think he may have made a bad choice and misplayed his hand. But I wish him and his family the best.
I think he received some awful advice somewhere along the line.

Coming off an injury, if he wanted a payday via transfer, he wanted to finish the season strong and eliminate any concern.

What he did creates either a question about his health or desire to compete. It was a lose lose decision.

He’ll end up somewhere, but hard to imagine it will be anywhere good.

A make-a-wish insider tweeted earlier that Georgia Tech seemed to be the favorite. Not sure if any recent info spurred that, or just trying to make a scoop out of long-held theories. Virginia Tech is also in the mix, I believe. Otherwise impressively quiet.

He’ll wind up somwhere…. The shame is that somwhere may not be what he had here

In all honesty, he might have struggled for minutes here as well. If he wanted to play 3, he was looking at beating out Bailey, Griffiths and Grant for minutes (when he entered the portal).

This is a very high level of basketball. Competition everywhere.

I wish him the best.

In all honesty, he might have struggled for minutes here as well. If he wanted to play 3, he was looking at beating out Bailey, Griffiths and Grant for minutes (when he entered the portal).

This is a very high level of basketball. Competition everywhere.

I wish him the best.
Mag would be the 3rd or 4th best player on this team. Unless he's still hurt, he would've been a locked starter

Trust is easy to lose and very hard to regain, as was said above, if a big pay day was Mags objective he needed to prove his worth not sit on the bench and abandon his team.

I have to assume that him sitting only created more red flags to potential suitors:

If he was really injured it just reminds teams - this guy is very injury prone

If he wasn’t injured it just tells teams - I’m not a good team mate/ I’m a selfish player

Arrested Development Gob Bluth GIF

Is this what he's thinking now? I cannot find any rumors listing schools that have contacted him.

These things all probably true:
-sitting out didn’t help his value
-he/his handlers knew it wouldn’t help his value but they were more fearful of destroying his value if he wasn’t fully healthy
-he will land at a P6 school
-he will get less $ than he/his handlers thought he would get when they collectively decided to sit out

Reactions: kcg88
These things all probably true:
-sitting out didn’t help his value
-he/his handlers knew it wouldn’t help his value but they were more fearful of destroying his value if he wasn’t fully healthy
-he will land at a P6 school
-he will get less $ than he/his handlers thought he would get when they collectively decided to sit out
Handlers?
What a travesty this become

I still don’t understand what happened. Does he have injury ptsd? There is no way it made sense financially to sit out. I need to knowwwwwwe

I still don’t understand what happened. Does he have injury ptsd? There is no way it made sense financially to sit out. I need to knowwwwwwe
Really need to forget the why he left …. He’s gone , we are stronger , he could have stayed but he quit on the team….

Mag would be the 3rd or 4th best player on this team. Unless he's still hurt, he would've been a locked starter
Considering he’s not on any radar or any list of top 100 and probably top 200 transfers I would strongly disagree with this

In reality he was a strong defender who had a good 6-8 game stretch last year that painted him as a much better player than he actually is

Before that he was a role player at best and this year he proved the same

Not going to miss him

He has the talent to be a very good glue guy capable of 12 pts 5 boards and great D. He also now looks like either he is injury prone, or willing to sit out/more concerned about himself than the program. I just find it odd that there are no rumors of schools recruiting Mag.

Reactions: High Quality H2O
Mag was a key cog in the machine in 2022-23 - a crucial element on a team that was long on chemistry, but short on depth. That team had a lot of flexibility and stifling defense, but virtually no bench. Losing a starter was a death knell.

The 2023-24 team was a patchwork of parts that didn't fit together. Mag was never an elite individual player - his value to the 2022-23 team was how well he fit, and how well his skillset complemented the players around him. None of that was present on this past year's team, and his value was less than it was the prior year (even if he were 100% healthy all season).

If he was truly not ready to return from injury, and he reinjured himself - that's a tough break. He's been injury-prone throughout his career, and he may just have had a nagging injury that never let him feel comfortable in a game setting. Or, he may have been fine and just checked out.

Either way, it's probably good he's moving on. If he can't get over the most recent of many injuries, I'm not sure what value he'd bring next year. If he checked out and bailed on the team, then he'd be locker room poison next year.

Mag will be the player trying to come back after he realizes that no team views him as a 3 and one of their perimeter players in their offense.

Pikiell will say " No Thanks".

The best case scenario for Mag, is to drop down 2 levels to a school like a Sun Belt or land at a Western Kentucky or UAB or a FAU..... get a program that will allow him to shoot 3s and play the 3 spot. If he goes that type of program and puts up 32 to 33 MPG and scores 14 to 15 PPG with 7 to 8 RPG against weaker competition, he'll draw some Pro Scout interest....he would also have to pull off a Caleb McConnell and earn Defensive Player of the Year in that smaller conference.

If he goes to another high major, he'll stay limited to the 15 to 18 MPG range....that's as many minutes as he would have gotten at RU if he stayed on this 2024-25 roster.

Reactions: fairhavenfool
I wouldn’t be surprised if he would up back in California at a Pepperdine or Santa Clara type program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT