ADVERTISEMENT

Max Roster Limit for Lacrosse Set by NCAA

Saw that - don’t think I like it. Will further the separation btw the BIG/ACC and the rest of the country.

May also make the cost of starting a men’s program too high for entry further hurting growth of the game.

It could have a the opposite effect given title 9. Some big schools could add it now that the costs are fixed. At least with roster size.

Reactions: Wagram97
I think this will separate the ACC and Big10 from the pack of D1 conferences even more than currently. Will Bucknell, Holy Cross or Albany fund 48? It will likely hurt the Ivies as their tuitions continue to rise and a full ride elsewhere is more available.

Ivys have unlimited “financial aid”. They will be ok.

There are so many ways this can go but the general consensus is smaller conference schools are going to feel the pain.

So is the prevailing speculation that many smaller conferences, albeit D1, will not fund 48 ? If the vast majority of 70 D1 lax playing schools DID fund the 48 per team that’s over 2,400 more scholarships. Would D1 vacuum up more D2 and D3 talent cause they can? Would more HS prospects find homes at D3 and D2 levels because of it?

Probably. Ivy's aside, they only school's I can see funding at the max level are Acc/B1G schools.

Don't forget, there is Title 9 considerations as well that will need to be funded.

There is a lot in play but few scenarios play out well for smaller conference schools. Their alumni are going to have to step up en masse if they want to keep pace.

The more I hear about NIL at big conference schools the more it's becoming obvious the smaller conference schools are going to have trouble competing. Not really sure how this is great for the game of lacrosse as a whole but it's good we are on the right side of the ledger.

Ivys have unlimited “financial aid”. They will be ok.

There are so many ways this can go but the general consensus is smaller conference schools are going to feel the pain.

They have the resources to do it, but the Ivies cannot offer a full ride to most candidates. If they tried there would be admission office leaks that would quickly end it. Watch Duke swoop in with full rides. I think they will be the biggest winner.

They have the resources to do it, but the Ivies cannot offer a full ride to most candidates. If they tried there would be admission office leaks that would quickly end it. Watch Duke swoop in with full rides. I think they will be the biggest winner.
Harvard, Princeton and Yale are absolutely gaming the financial aid system. I would wager a lot that UPenn is too. I can't speak to Dartmouth or Brown but it wouldn't shock me. Cornell I assume does.

It's fun to say for the Ivy powers that be at their cocktail parties that they are above offering athletic scholarships but don't kid yourself. They are doing even more.

Reactions: mikershoein
Harvard, Princeton and Yale are absolutely gaming the financial aid system. I would wager a lot that UPenn is too. I can't speak to Dartmouth or Brown but it wouldn't shock me. Cornell I assume does.

It's fun to say for the Ivy powers that be at their cocktail parties that they are above offering athletic scholarships but don't kid yourself. They are doing even more.

Full rides for kids from wealthy parents? Didn't happen in my time. Saw All-Ivy football players in the dining hall with work-study jobs. Do the standards get stretched? Absolutely. Do all non-wealthy students get better financial aid packages because of large endowments? Absolutely. Where Penn would stretch standards was admissions to kids they kept out of undergraduate Wharton. Harvard set an all time low in SATs to get a kid for the hockey team who was on the 1976 Olympic team (not the Dream Team) after attending Framingham St. The schools also make promises about life after college athletics. Harvard used that to get a HS AA minority lax player out of Gilman who had 1250 SATs, and that was before the scores were boosted. But his family was lower income so he would have gotten a large grant if he didn't play sports.

Full scholies? I doubt it

It’s happening. I personally know of more than a few examples. It’s happening in women’s lacrosse too.

Full financial aid packages? It some cases yes. In many cases less than they’d pay at a state school.

It’s happening. I personally know of more than a few examples. It’s happening in women’s lacrosse too.

Full financial aid packages? It some cases yes. In many cases less than they’d pay at a state school.
Yep, they are able to stack financial aid, athletic scholarship , and then awards to get coveted layers

My friends kid just committed to Sacred Heart U, roster size is currently 58 kids.
Wonder how that will work…

Probably. Ivy's aside, they only school's I can see funding at the max level are Acc/B1G schools.

Don't forget, there is Title 9 considerations as well that will need to be funded.

There is a lot in play but few scenarios play out well for smaller conference schools. Their alumni are going to have to step up en masse if they want to keep pace.

The more I hear about NIL at big conference schools the more it's becoming obvious the smaller conference schools are going to have trouble competing. Not really sure how this is great for the game of lacrosse as a whole but it's good we are on the right side of the ledger.
I think there is a gamble on the tv audience and markets paying more in the future. LAX is growing, but I don’t know if ther money is there yet. PLL guys are working on Wall Street Monday - Thursday before leaving town to play games.

Cuts. Starting next year there can only be 48 total players. Scholarships or not.

PLL is in it's infancy. Through the 70's NFL players routinely had second jobs. The funding for the PLL is strong and the numbers are getting better every year.

I think we will see a similar trajectory as the MLS though not as robust. Those franchises have increased in value significantly. The early buy in was $3MM-$5MM a little more than 20 years ago. San Diego's cost of entry was $500MM.

Reactions: Wagram97
Cuts. Starting next year there can only be 48 total players. Scholarships or not.

PLL is in it's infancy. Through the 70's NFL players routinely had second jobs. The funding for the PLL is strong and the numbers are getting better every year.

I think we will see a similar trajectory as the MLS though not as robust. Those franchises have increased in value significantly. The early buy in was $3MM-$5MM a little more than 20 years ago. San Diego's cost of entry was $500MM.
Only Power 5 schools are subject to the settlement agreement and thus the roster limits. Any nonP5 school may opt in but that seems unlikely. The only reason they'll have to opt in is if the American U wrestling coach's rumor is true:

That’s not my understanding. It’s a D1 limit.
No, Leonard23 is correct. The 48-man roster limit is only for Power 5 schools. Non-Power 5 schools can choose to opt in to the agreement to participate in revenue sharing and no scholarship limits but would then be limited by the roster cap. I think that it is very unlikely that service academies would opt to participate in revenue sharing, so they would essentially continue operating as usual. This is likely the case for the Ivies as well. JHU would likely opt out and continue business as usual.

Reactions: Leonard23
No, Leonard23 is correct. The 48-man roster limit is only for Power 5 schools. Non-Power 5 schools can choose to opt in to the agreement to participate in revenue sharing and no scholarship limits but would then be limited by the roster cap. I think that it is very unlikely that service academies would opt to participate in revenue sharing, so they would essentially continue operating as usual. This is likely the case for the Ivies as well. JHU would likely opt out and continue business as usual.

The service academies are essentially 100% scholorship already so opting out makes sense.

Service academies aren’t bound by scholarship limits.

I wonder if Hopkins is a P5 school.
For lacrosse it is. The way I read it is that any school that offers athletic scholarships I’ll now have a cap on players. So Hopkins can give out 48 ships but can not exceed the 48 cap. I believe that the P5 part is the revenue sharing piece

For lacrosse it is. The way I read it is that any school that offers athletic scholarships I’ll now have a cap on players. So Hopkins can give out 48 ships but can not exceed the 48 cap. I believe that the P5 part is the revenue sharing piece
Did you read the article Cali linked to above? Terry Foy notes "That means that, in men’s lacrosse, this situation may only affect 11 programs: Duke, Maryland, Michigan, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Syracuse, Utah and Virginia."

Non-Power 5 schools can opt to not participate in revenue sharing. This will apply to JHU.

Reactions: rufamily
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT