ADVERTISEMENT

Miami NIL problem - Isiah Wong

No - it’s literally polar opposites. If Caleb returns and secures a NIL deal, that outcome will be representative of how NIL can result in kids who otherwise may not have stayed in school ended up continuing on to earn a degree or get a Masters.

The Miami kid wasn’t thinking of leaving. He planned to return to Miami - signed an agreement that he was happy with until he learned someone else had negotiated better and would get more.

Look - in corporate america, if you accept an offer for a $70k office job and then a few months after you start you find out that another analyst who has less experience than you was just offered $90k - it’s unlikely your going to barge into your new boss’ office and demand a raise or threaten to leave. Good luck finding something else if you do that. For the sake of collegiate sports, I sincerely hope this approach backfires on the Miami kid and other teams decide he’d be a locker room cancer and distraction.
Wait that office example..that’s EXACTLY what would happen in corporate America. In fact on my leadership team I’ve seen it this year a few times with staff.

😂😂😂 okay that was funny. I think this last year was definitely the best our offense has looked in terms of sets though. Hoping they continue to add to that especially with a shooter like Spencer coming into the fold.
Cliff will do that for a half court offense. Must be incredible to play with a guy like him. How was it for you?

In fact in 2020+ corporate america a person that doesn't change jobs is looked downed on.
Yes - after a year or so you want your resume to reflect growth. This Miami guy literally just struck a deal. It would be like starting an office job and asking for a promo a month or two into it because someone else makes more. It does not look good to quit a job after 60 days and not be able to explain it.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Yes - after a year or so you want your resume to reflect growth. This Miami guy literally just struck a deal. It would be like starting an office job and asking for a promo a month or two into it because someone else makes more. It does not look good to quit a job after 60 days and not be able to explain it.
Not anymore.

he is refinancing....like a mortgage. 😀

This is why I hate NIL and am very worried about what it leads to. Having said that I get where the players are coming from. Mr. Wong is doing exactly what his head coach would do.

Reactions: winfield102
Not anymore.
I think your wrong. The people who do this in corporate America likely have something else lined up as a back up plan. It’s a risk to simply walk out unless you know your role is in super high demand for the salary your looking to have matched (in which case you would’ve been pretty stupid to agree to the $70k in the first place 2 months earlier in my example).

he is refinancing....like a mortgage. 😀

This is why I hate NIL and am very worried about what it leads to. Having said that I get where the players are coming from. Mr. Wong is doing exactly what his head coach would do.
That’s true. But the coaches can, and often do, bring players along with them. It’s a clean slate regardless once they are coaching at the new school.

Im holding out hope that this won’t be so with NIL kids. This isn’t a good look for the Miami kid now no matter the outcome. Unless of course He ends up on a team where every starter gets that 800k deal and the car. No hard feelings. I guess that’s where you are coming from with your fear of what this can become. I’m hoping the opposite happens and instead this kid finds out he should’ve stuck with his original deal. We’ll see.

Sarcasm meter broken or have you just spent too much time on the boards lately?
The thought that we don't run an offense is just flat out wrong. I sit directly across the RU bench. There is a lot of communication and guards are getting the offense in to our sets. PLUS it is a jerk move even bringing this up with our celebrity guest present.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
my meter must be broke....their is a faction of people who say we don't run an offense and I can't stand it. I lose track of who those people are. Sorry

Reactions: GORU2014
You guys realize this is how Miami has conducted recruiting for decades, right?

Michael Irvin said his official visit at UM back in the day focused entirely on compensation negotiations.

Fake news.

College players were never paid money ever.
People have repeatedly said they would stop watching college sports if the athletes started getting money.
And those people are still here so obviously nobody ever received any money at all.

Players also never transfered schools until the "Transfer Portal" was created.

College athletics was a completely honest and level playing field for all until NIL/Transfer Portal came along to destroy everything.

All part of the process. Teams are finding out what they can and can’t do. Paying subpar players more money than your incumbent stars is a no go. This will all work itself out in the coming years.
Frankly I don't see it ever getting worked out. I see it continually devolving into a complete and utter sh*t show. With teams tampering with players on other teams to fill holes, NIL agents shopping kids around for the best deals and kids holding coach's hostage for better deals after they have a good year. This isn't basketball camps, T-shirts and video games anymore, it's pay for play with no rules or regulations. The underbelly has just started to show itself.

Frankly I don't see it ever getting worked out. I see it continually devolving into a complete and utter sh*t show. With teams tampering with players on other teams to fill holes, NIL agents shopping kids around for the best deals and kids holding coach's hostage for better deals after they have a good year. This isn't basketball camps, T-shirts and video games anymore, it's pay for play with no rules or regulations. The underbelly has just started to show itself.
That’s very shortsighted thinking

We are going through this with Caleb right now, just not as blunt or public.

Also came through in a slightly different way for Cliff who also considered leaving.
but yeah sojo, NIL is good!!! LOL.

You guys also have to realize, this is realllllllly goona be bad in basketball even moreso than football. It is so so so so hard to make the NBA. The money in europe is trash. These players realize that and know they might as well bend over these boosters while they can. It's going to end college sports as we know it imo and unfortunately going to provide far less educational opportunities and schollies for kids in prior generations. It's a shame

That’s very shortsighted thinking
Shortsighted how exactly? You said it's going to work itself out, how? Right now for it to work itself out you need rules and regulations. The Supreme court said, Schools can not restrict a players earning power in any way, shape or form or they will open themselves up to lawsuits. So that leaves Congress, good luck waiting for that one to straighten it out.

Shortsighted how exactly? You said it's going to work itself out, how? Right now for it to work itself out you need rules and regulations. The Supreme court said, Schools can not restrict a players earning power in any way, shape or form or they will open themselves up to lawsuits. So that leaves Congress, good luck waiting for that one to straighten it out.
If you think they’re just gonna let college sports die without finding a way to make this work then I don’t know what to tell you. College sports are too profitable. It’s the same “world is ending” kind of thinking that has been surrounding college sports for decades. It’s silly.

If you think they’re just gonna let college sports die without finding a way to make this work then I don’t know what to tell you. College sports are too profitable. It’s the same “world is ending” kind of thinking that has been surrounding college sports for decades. It’s silly.
it'll just shrink into a super league of like 32 teams much like the NFL. We won't be in it unfortunately.

• Sad
Reactions: AdventureHasAName
We know you just don’t like seeing certain people getting paid 😂. We established that already kid.
LOL. You're so dumb. You're on your 4th username in like 2 years. It's sad at this point. @Greg2020 formerlyknownas Rutgers_____ LOL.

who is they

Reactions: koleszar
😂😂😂 okay that was funny. I think this last year was definitely the best our offense has looked in terms of sets though. Hoping they continue to add to that especially with a shooter like Spencer coming into the fold.
Geo. How much do the players and you read the boards during the season? How far off were the posts on the team from reality

it'll just shrink into a super league of like 32 teams much like the NFL. We won't be in it unfortunately.

Why wouldn't we be in it?
We're already in the highest earning conference.
Have multiple players with various NIL opportunities.
Actively use the Transfer Portal to poach mid-major break out players to bolster rosters.

Rutgers is going to voluntarily give up $50m in conference money?

Why wouldn't we be in it?
We don't have an alumni base that will pay the amount of money necessary to compete.

We're already in the highest earning conference.

Rutgers is going to voluntarily give up $50m in conference money?
The conference isn't going to exist. Eventually there will be the single "Big Time Sports" conference and you're going to need to be invited into that conference by demonstrating you will do whatever it takes to compete in that conference.

We've been playing football since 1869 and the university governance didn't start to even pretend we cared about being competitive until 2005ish. Put another way, our lucrative t-shirt businesses aren't going to compete with "every player on the team gets $50k/year."

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
sounds like a cover your ass kinda tweet. The bidders didn't come. On another note, pitt just lost their best player to USC for an NIL deal LOL. This again is just the beginning.
From what we’ve seen so far, there’s no evidence that NIL has resulted in more movement than there would’ve been without it in a world where the sit out rule doesn’t apply to transfer.

So far it seems like there will be a small subset of elite college (but maybe not pro caliber) players who will be in a position to play cash-it-in-while-you-can musical chairs. Right now, there’s no reason to believe that developing a NIL brand over a college career won’t be the most successful course for making money through NIL for most kids (again - there will clearly be a few exceptions).

Mid-major kids will still transfer, and by the way, that doesn’t necessarily mean NIL is the driving factor - the best ones always transferred to prove themselves at the next level.

I understand this is new and many people are projecting the worst and assuming this is only the beginning. Maybe you guys will be right, but that’s not a given. We may not have the highest level of donor support, but there is currently no school better positioned to sell the prospect of developing a brand that will translate into NIL success over a college career. The face of our program is the leader of the whole dang movement! So let’s just calm down and wait and see.

Geo my man, I understand some of this is out of your control, but boy oh boy would it be a home run for the trajectory of our program if we could whip up something substantial for Ron and Caleb. Wouldn’t just be about them - it would be message breaking in terms of NIL impact on recruiting at Rutgers. We’re all rooting for you and have no doubt your giving it your best shot!

This is going to be very common. Use the portal as leverage to get an “NIL” deal. Clearly just pay for play.

Geo. How much do the players and you read the boards during the season? How far off were the posts on the team from reality
I’m not sure. Don’t want to speak for anybody else because I’ve never asked them. It’s usually very far off though 😂 I’m sure everyone looks at it though. Guys seem to always know when the fans think they’re not playing well. It’s tough cuz basketball is such a mental game. Once you have all that negative energy on your mind it’s hard to get out of the funk. Some other guys love ur though. I heard nick Suriano used to message back all of his “haters” 😂 i was probably somewhere in the middle. I was taught to ignore it but sometimes i love firing back too lol. I think i always had a really good game after my absolute worst games too because of the trash talk. I also think as you get older you don’t care as much what people say. Even after our early losses this year most of our vets knew we’d be fine. We didn’t really care about any outside noise. The funniest ones to me were the year before that our team didn’t like each other. We all love the guys who transferred out. That year was just so messed up cuz of Covid. Took a toll on everybody. Guys felt like the best thing to do was leave so they did.

From what we’ve seen so far, there’s no evidence that NIL has resulted in more movement than there would’ve been without it in a world where the sit out rule doesn’t apply to transfer.

So far it seems like there will be a small subset of elite college (but maybe not pro caliber) players who will be in a position to play cash-it-in-while-you-can musical chairs. Right now, there’s no reason to believe that developing a NIL brand over a college career won’t be the most successful course for making money through NIL for most kids (again - there will clearly be a few exceptions).

Mid-major kids will still transfer, and by the way, that doesn’t necessarily mean NIL is the driving factor - the best ones always transferred to prove themselves at the next level.

I understand this is new and many people are projecting the worst and assuming this is only the beginning. Maybe you guys will be right, but that’s not a given. We may not have the highest level of donor support, but there is currently no school better positioned to sell the prospect of developing a brand that will translate into NIL success over a college career. The face of our program is the leader of the whole dang movement! So let’s just calm down and wait and see.

Geo my man, I understand some of this is out of your control, but boy oh boy would it be a home run for the trajectory of our program if we could whip up something substantial for Ron and Caleb. Wouldn’t just be about them - it would be message breaking in terms of NIL impact on recruiting at Rutgers. We’re all rooting for you and have no doubt your giving it your best shot!
There’s gonna be some pretty big NIL news (not me) coming out really soon for rutgers. Next few days i believe. I’ll also be announcing some of the stuff me and Eric are planning in about a month. I’ve made ron and Caleb well aware of everything going on behind the scenes of course

I’m not sure. Don’t want to speak for anybody else because I’ve never asked them. It’s usually very far off though 😂 I’m sure everyone looks at it though. Guys seem to always know when the fans think they’re not playing well. It’s tough cuz basketball is such a mental game. Once you have all that negative energy on your mind it’s hard to get out of the funk. Some other guys love ur though. I heard nick Suriano used to message back all of his “haters” 😂 i was probably somewhere in the middle. I was taught to ignore it but sometimes i love firing back too lol. I think i always had a really good game after my absolute worst games too because of the trash talk. I also think as you get older you don’t care as much what people say. Even after our early losses this year most of our vets knew we’d be fine. We didn’t really care about any outside noise. The funniest ones to me were the year before that our team didn’t like each other. We all love the guys who transferred out. That year was just so messed up cuz of Covid. Took a toll on everybody. Guys felt like the best thing to do was leave so they did.
Thank you for clearing all that up Geo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT