ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan fan here, coming in an offseason (in a season we don’t even play) to say one thing without being accused of bias

West Side Blue

Redshirt
Jun 27, 2001
I love the direction of the Rutgers program. I have no reason to root for Rutgers - born and raised in Michigan, UM grad - but Rutgers has low key been becoming my second favorite Big 10 team. One reason: Toughness. Schiano is tough as nails, and is building a tough program. We honestly had more trouble with RU than almost any other Big 10 team over the past few years, it’s always a long friggin day. I can’t wait to see some of the new PAC teams walk into the Big 10 thinking …. Road game in Piscataway in November? Shouldn’t be a problem. Guess what . . . It ain’t gonna be sunny and warm. I don’t think they are built for that.

Even as a newer member, Rutgers is a hell of a lot more Big 10 than UCLA or Oregon will ever be. It’s a different mentality. I look forward to seeing RU continue to ascend. Unless you are playing Michigan that is of course.

A year without OSU UM and the cult should go a long way towards growth and the general late Saturday happiness of most RU fans ☺️😉
Yeah, there are several Big Ten East programs that are grateful for the opportunity the new (lack of) alignment provides. It really masked the improvement of some programs...

Yeah, there are several Big Ten East programs that are grateful for the opportunity the new (lack of) alignment provides. It really masked the improvement of some programs...
how do you know some programs were improved ?

I love the direction of the Rutgers program. I have no reason to root for Rutgers - born and raised in Michigan, UM grad - but Rutgers has low key been becoming my second favorite Big 10 team. One reason: Toughness. Schiano is tough as nails, and is building a tough program. We honestly had more trouble with RU than almost any other Big 10 team over the past few years, it’s always a long friggin day. I can’t wait to see some of the new PAC teams walk into the Big 10 thinking …. Road game in Piscataway in November? Shouldn’t be a problem. Guess what . . . It ain’t gonna be sunny and warm. I don’t think they are built for that.

Even as a newer member, Rutgers is a hell of a lot more Big 10 than UCLA or Oregon will ever be. It’s a different mentality. I look forward to seeing RU continue to ascend. Unless you are playing Michigan that is of course.
Nice post ! Thanks for the compliments. Kinda crazy if we beat Michigan in 2020 harbaugh is probably out of Michigan.

What’s your thoughts on your new coach ? I know he had to get the job based off last year but I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a rough go of it by Michigan standards

For sure. It’s the opposite of the Big 10 West historically… how many times would Rutgers have been right there in that division? Would you rather have started every year with Michigan, OSU and Penn State on the docket? Or Illinois, Iowa, and Purdue? Schedules make seasons more often than not.

Reactions: Bagarocks
Nice post ! Thanks for the compliments. Kinda crazy if we beat Michigan in 2020 harbaugh is probably out of Michigan.

What’s your thoughts on your new coach ? I know he had to get the job based off last year but I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a rough go of it by Michigan standards
We love Sherrone and the continuity he provides. I love Harbaugh but he had some blind spots and weaknesses. I think Sherrone has the potential to be a better recruiter, and he was the guiding force behind our O line which is where it all starts.

NJ has an underdog chip on its shoulder. We were always surrounded by lots of professional teams in NY and PA and RU was never the state university power house in athletics due to indifference by the faculty. Playing the IVY's pretty much summed up the school's perception of sports.
As one book on NJ stated, "New Jersey has more attitude than all of the other 49 combined".
It was always said that if RU could keep some of its athletes home, things would be better. Well, we are seeing not just this happening but it becoming a destination for some top out of staters also.
Both BB and FB are getting a lot of positive press and speculation is really higher than it has ever been. Hopefully, we will live up to the hype.
Thanks for the nice words.

NJ has an underdog chip on its shoulder. We were always surrounded by lots of professional teams in NY and PA and RU was never the state university power house in athletics due to indifference by the faculty. Playing the IVY's pretty much summed up the school's perception of sports.
As one book on NJ stated, "New Jersey has more attitude than all of the other 49 combined".
It was always said that if RU could keep some of its athletes home, things would be better. Well, we are seeing not just this happening but it becoming a destination for some top out of staters also.
Both BB and FB are getting a lot of positive press and speculation is really higher than it has ever been. Hopefully, we will live up to the hype.
Thanks for the nice words.

Circa 1972. "Could you imagine Rutgers with a backfield of Joe Theismann, Franco Harris and Lydel Mitchell?"

Great observation on our games the last few years. They have been competitive although Mich always has the advantage with athleticism. Thanks for the kind words and best of luck this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT