ADVERTISEMENT

Mid-season observations

scrltnite1

Redshirt
Gold Member
May 29, 2004
I'll try to limit the recency bias and leave most of the discussion of the Wisky disaster to existing threads, but in any case, here are some of my mid-season observations...
  • Evaluating the D's terrible performances against UW-west and UW-midwest in the hopes of uncovering the 'problem' seems to be a fools errand. The D was 'broken' in the pre-season and the only question once the games began was how bad would things get. If Greg hasn't already done a postmortem and identified what, or who, is to blame for starting the season with the 5 best D players on the injured list, then something stinks.
  • On that note, disappointing that Richie indicated in an ATE that he might not be able to tell us at the end the season, the order in which the pre-season injuries occurred, and whether he thinks the staff handled the situation properly. With Powell already injured in the spring, it seems to me after the first summer injury, the rest of the D starters should have put in bubble wrap with the only priority ensuring they were ready to go in game 1.
  • Anyone else worried that USC will drop 60 on us? Hopefully we're able to run on them and shorten the game.
  • Understandable that KC thought he could get 'good' Athan from two years ago, but after having moved on from the least accurate passer in college football, it's unfortunately looking more and more like we may have literally moved on to the second least accurate passer in college football.
  • WR's have no doubt been poor pass catchers, but not all drops are created equal. By my recollection, almost all of Saturday's drops were on inaccurate throws -- catchable certainly, but not where they should've been. Wouldn't surprise me if many of Minny's drops last year were on similarly catchable, but not accurate throws.
  • Black reminds me (a bit) of Rochelle. Although he's much better at getting open -- which is important -- his catching fundamentals are equally terrible. Although different problems in that RR always let the ball get to his body and never caught with his hands, BB seems to have no idea how to position his hands to make a catch. Really important for Brock to correct this asap because BB can be very good if he learns how to catch.
  • Overall this team is not fun to watch. Offense is slow, plodding and boring. Defense, as noted, is broken. Special teams are embarrassing. This actually doesn't even look like a GS team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.