higgins3

All American
Dec 15, 2012
Hey folks.

Thiam won the 3 point contest.

Sanders won the dunk contest.

Diallo won the skills comp.

What I gathered:

Our forwards shoot better than our guard. Lol.

Thiam has a great shot. Sank a ton of threes, feet in same place. He has a very bright future here.

I would not hesitate to play Bullock at the four. Huge kid. Even bigger in person.

Candido Sa has a nice shot as well. Stretch four/five and space the floor out to let guards operate.

All in all, shots all uncontested so it will be different.

Could be my opinion, but our fan base needs a revival in the worst way. The place was so quiet. I have been to many funerals that were a lot louder, and that is no sarcasm.

The losing hurt us badly.

Pikiell, be the guy...please.

I could expand, but I decided to keep it short.

Also, just ran into Issa Thiam and spoke with him for a second. Extremely humble kid. I told him he could be special, and he was very thankful. Just seems like a great kid.

It seems like they are all getting along very well with Gueye. Five players were hanging out with him, and they all were having a good time. There is definitely a connection with the kids on the team from Africa. We will see how it goes, but it looked positive from a friend standpoint.

Last edited:
I hope for the best. Sounds like we have some new players with some potential. Our shooters need to shoot though.

I hope for the best. Sounds like we have some new players with some potential. Our shooters need to shoot though.

For sure. Shots contested are obviously a ton harder. The strokes though, follow throughs, feet hitting same spot off launch, are all there. Our big guys had a softer touch than Mike Williams tonight. Just some good looking shots.

^ For whatever reason Mike's shot is not soft. I really hope the best for him. He hustles a lot on d. I would love to see that translates on the offensive side of the court

^ For whatever reason Mike's shot is not soft. I really hope the best for him. He hustles a lot on d. I would love to see that translates on the offensive side of the court

Yes. I hope it comes around. He was something like 5/25. Take it all with a grain of salt.

Steve Pikiell has a great rapport with every player on our team. I sat in the first row and heard everything that was said between all the players and our coach. It really seemed like a a close knit group. Hopefully this continues. It was nice to bring Midnight Madness back. I enjoyed seeing the new guys and the entire team. Coach Pikiell walked into the stands and shook many hands and thanked fans for coming and for their support. The guy really gets it and has a wonderful personality. I really hope he can succeed. We do have a lot of size and many guys seemed in better shape. Mike Williams was really getting up and dunking in warmups like I've never seen him do before. Gettys is big and was really enjoying himself as were all of the guys. Freeman can really get up too as can Sa, Doorson and Omoruyi. Five weeks from tonight is the opener. Hopefully everyone stays healthy.

Great posts guys. Thanks for the updates.

higgins, hang in there man! I went to Rutgers in the fall of 1976. One good year and then 40 years in the desert! You do a super job of providing info on the program and this old ex-pat really appreciates it.

Thanks for the updates.

Any estimate on the size of the crowd? Any changes to the RAC?

I am guessing about 1,500 were there but maybe even 2,000. I think a few rows have been eliminated from section 118. The RAC is still the RAC but it did look a bit more spruced up. We need to win games to bring back crowds and get it rocking once again. I know Coach Pikiell is constantly working to bring back excitement to the program.

Reactions: higgins3 and MadRU
Couple of other comments, some reiterating from above.

Sanders looks in great shape. Also, I have video of him jumping over the Scarlet Knight and dunking...need help posting.

Nigel Johnson can leap! Our guards are going to be exciting. He also hit a half court shot before the student free car contest.

Thiam is a stud. Also you can see the work he puts in the gym shooting, it's visible.

Enjoyed attending the event .RAC had nice signage hyping the event.Thiam was impressive shooting the 3 pointer and Sanders dunk over the Scarlet Knight was terrific.The sound system needs improvement ,hard to hear what emcee was saying.Attendance approximately 1000 fans seated in the lower levels of RAC. Recco ,the new radio announcer, was seated with family in the first row.Pikiel and Stringer both spoke thanking fans for attending.I understand the time constraints for the event but I would like to have the players and coaching staffs introduced since there are so many new names on both squads.

Great posts guys. Thanks for the updates.

higgins, hang in there man! I went to Rutgers in the fall of 1976. One good year and then 40 years in the desert! You do a super job of providing info on the program and this old ex-pat really appreciates it.

ex-pat? Where do you live and how do you like it there? I'm considering moving abroad myself now that I'm retired.

Thanks.

He has lived in NZ for a number of years. Ask to see pictures of his "yard"/view. You'll have your bags packed and asking to move into a shed on his property the second you see it.

Reactions: MADHAT1
5 for 25 on uncontested shots? Wow. That is almost impossible for a 2 guard on scholarship.

I think it will change. Mechanics look okay, but he just has to find his groove. Comes down on one foot a good amount.

When the lights are on, Mike will shine the best he can. HIs game is grit, transition, and driving. I would like to see him drive with his head up more looking to pass. That is how Rutgers wins. Get some players, start being selfless.

Enjoyed attending the event .RAC had nice signage hyping the event.Thiam was impressive shooting the 3 pointer and Sanders dunk over the Scarlet Knight was terrific.The sound system needs improvement ,hard to hear what emcee was saying.Attendance approximately 1000 fans seated in the lower levels of RAC. Recco ,the new radio announcer, was seated with family in the first row.Pikiel and Stringer both spoke thanking fans for attending.I understand the time constraints for the event but I would like to have the players and coaching staffs introduced since there are so many new names on both squads.

Definitely. I liked the colors. I agree, it was hard to hear Pikiell.

It looked nice. The RAC is going to come alive soon.

I've been saying from day 1 that Thiam was a stud and if he had more exposure, would have been rated 4 stars

I am with you. My first write up from him was a while back, and I stand very impressed. His on ball defense will surprise.

Play him at the guard and he can move with the shooting guards seeing his weight. His long arms will make it hard for them to shoot.

I saw where Diallo won the skills contest. What was part of it?

Diallo looked good moving. He has added bulk, but that is no surprise. He has to stay patient with his hands. They set up those things that do not move, and you have to run in between them. He looked good. Gettys is a character, lol. Big boy, likes to hang on the rim a lot.

Couple of other comments, some reiterating from above.

Sanders looks in great shape. Also, I have video of him jumping over the Scarlet Knight and dunking...need help posting.

Nigel Johnson can leap! Our guards are going to be exciting. He also hit a half court shot before the student free car contest.

Thiam is a stud. Also you can see the work he puts in the gym shooting, it's visible.

Thanks for your additions. Sanders does look good. Johnson is very athletic, and seems to have a good shot. He lined it up and took it like it was a three pointer. I would have liked him to get the car seeing the other kid was a joke and seemed intoxicated, lol. Transition will be a bright point, but only if they can make the right passes and minimize trying to break ankles. Ball always moves faster than a person.

I like the potential of Sa. He had a smooth stroke,both feet landing where they took off. If he can hit a shot, and turn his head, identify the player coming in, and put a body on them, he will do his part.

Freeman looks like he has put on some bulk. Shopping at Costco.

He has lived in NZ for a number of years. Ask to see pictures of his "yard"/view. You'll have your bags packed and asking to move into a shed on his property the second you see it.

Thanks. I've never been to NZ but it is near the top of my bucket list of remaining destinations. But I haven't really considered it (or Australia) as possible places to live, mostly due to distance and the cost of getting to/from. I've started looking into this and so far, I'm thinking of Mexico and Costa Rica in LA, and Spain, Greece, and Portugal in Europe.

I'd love to hear from anyone whose retired to any Latin American or European countries, or even the Caribbean, though most of those countries would be on the costly side or not have a population sufficient to sustain high level medical facilities. Not being a good winter person, I'm not thinking about Canada or northern Europe at this point.

Thanks.

Thanks. I've never been to NZ but it is near the top of my bucket list of remaining destinations. But I haven't really considered it (or Australia) as possible places to live, mostly due to distance and the cost of getting to/from. I've started looking into this and so far, I'm thinking of Mexico and Costa Rica in LA, and Spain, Greece, and Portugal in Europe.

I'd love to hear from anyone whose retired to any Latin American or European countries, or even the Caribbean, though most of those countries would be on the costly side or not have a population sufficient to sustain high level medical facilities. Not being a good winter person, I'm not thinking about Canada or northern Europe at this point.

Thanks.
I live outside Dunedin, New Zealand. Have 38 acres overlooking the South Pacific. It's pretty sweet. But you should definitely consider an NZ vacation. The whole country is freakin' gorgeous and the people are super nice. Pic of Moms Skillethead and our alpacas.
2lnbvy0.jpg

I live outside Dunedin, New Zealand. Have 38 acres overlooking the South Pacific. It's pretty sweet. But you should definitely consider an NZ vacation. The whole country is freakin' gorgeous and the people are super nice. Pic of Moms Skillethead and our alpacas.
2lnbvy0.jpg
Holy crap that is awesome.

Reactions: SkilletHead2
Thanks for the writeups. After seeing where football is right now and what happened under Jordan, we could really use some bright spots to enjoy. Let's hope Pikiell gets the job done!

2lnbvy0.jpg
You looking to adopt?

Reactions: SkilletHead2
2lnbvy0.jpg
Skillet -

How did you end up in New Zealand? I have spent some time in Australasia and really enjoy it, New Zealand in particular. I will be moving to Brisbane in January so curious how other folks have made their way to that part of the world.

Last edited:

Thanks.
Ive been to both OZ & new Zealand and BOTH are not easy from a retirement standpoint as a US citizen unless you have family there. I get a break because i also have a British passport, but the sheer cost of living ruled out OZ for me. I loved Sydney but its one of the most expensive cities in the world.

I have visited 45 countries always with retirement in the back of my mind. Retiring in Spain, Greece or Portugal(or the EU in general) is not easy for USA citizens but it IS possible. Unless you do get some sort of resident status in the EU you will be able to stay 6mo. Again I am fortunate to have a British passport & can stay as long as I wish. Greece and Portugal are by far the 2 cheapest countries to live in as a retiree. I was just in Portugal for a travel writers conference and I adored it!

That said I have had a house in Costa Rica for the past 12 years & I adore it there. Despite people who will tell you its gotten more expensive, IF you learn the ropes it can be downright cheap. The culture is rich, the people friendly and the country is gorgeous. You can get residency fairly easily and once done you can buy into their national healthcare system. I pay $500 a year.

I somewhat stumbled upon another option and its changed my thinking entirely...For starters I have lived in Fla 33 years..(I last saw snow while at Rutgers in the 80s LOL)for the past 3 years I have been living mostly on a houseboat I built myself on an island 4mi off Key West> I love the people, the weather and the eccentricity....I am within broadcast(Miami Stations are boosted via TV /cell towers) TV reception and Cellphone reception(ergo I have internet) and if you fancy seafood ive found nowhere cheaper on the planet. For my purposes there are PLENTY of over educated, eccentric carmudgeons like myself in Key West....I have a Conch republic passport and am in the Conch Republic navy as well.....http://www.conchrepublicmilitaryforces.com/

So as you can tell ive done some research.....I could also rave about Thailand and Viet Nam..... and I LOVE to talk about retirement...............everyone has their dreams.....and I love hearing about them.....ive enjoyed Skilletheads NZ stories....and he is a Prof to boot(that was my profession as well)....
good luck !

Last edited:
Skillet -

How did you end up in New Zealand? I have spent some time in Australasia and really enjoy it, New Zealand in particular. I will be moving to Brisbane in January so curious how other folks have made their way to that part of the world.
Witness protection program. My wife is a born and bred Italian Jersey Girl (Roselle Park) whose dad was the head of a plumber's union. She marries a guy named Smith, takes his name, and moves to a new hemisphere. What else could it be?

Actually, we're both profs. We were looking for a big adventure (second marriage for both of us) and the chance to move to NZ and have professorships at the same uni seemed like an exciting possibility. We got leaves of absence to see if we liked it. Been here (OK, I'm in SF right now!) 11 years now and love it. We get back about three times a year. Dual citizens, but I would never give up my US citizenship.

mikefla is right. Hard to retire here as it is very hard to get permanent residence if you are over 55. I made it in by months! Not impossible, just very hard. But if you are under 55 and have skills that NZ wants, it's not hard at all.

As to cost of living, Auckland is super expensive in terms of housing, but the South Island, for the most part, is not. And Dunedin, a college town of about 125,000 nestled into a lovely harbor, is not expensive at all. We find that if you factor in everything (and I'm a maths kind of a guy), it's not much different than NJ, and if you want to be careful with your money, it's cheaper. We splurge some, and dining out is one of the expensive things. But we grow veggies, and could go one bay over from our place (you can just see it in the distance in the pic) and gather up enough little neck clams to feed an army in about 15 minutes (no exaggeration). And the lamb is unbelievably good.
This is a view of the Otago Harbor from our back yard.
2624g84.jpg

I was sitting in the first row and I could not hear what the person speaking was saying. I think higher up people could hear but I might be wrong. I know in my usual seats I had no trouble hearing anything last year.

I was sitting in the first row and I could not hear what the person speaking was saying. I think higher up people could hear but I might be wrong. I know in my usual seats I had no trouble hearing anything last year.
We were sitting in top row of 103 right under the media booth and it was still practically unintelligible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT