ADVERTISEMENT

MLAX Roster Updated

I've only started following RU Lax the past few years. I know they had a lot of injuries last year, but still had a strong team. Care to give me a short preview of the upcoming season? I'm guessing that we have a legitimate chance to make the NCAA tournament this year?

We play in what is arguably the toughest league, but our team is stacked. Seniors in college sports are invaluable, and we have 13 of them, who have contributed in a big way.

The young talent at the end of the roster has been upgraded too, creating for depth and competition in practices, I am sure.

On paper, it's easy to think this is the best team we have had since the early 90's. They have played a lot of lacrosse, are talented, work hard, and have a chip on their shoulder.

If we can avoid the injury bug again, there is no ceiling for this team. In one preseason ranking we were #3, so expectations are out there.

We also landed a grad transfer at FOGO from Towson who will be RSing. He will take over at the X in 2019.

Given the limited scholarship resources for nonrevenue sports like lacrosse how do you think we handle scholarship money for such players? Do they get a differential to only pay in-state tuition or a full ride? Just curious…

Given the limited scholarship resources for nonrevenue sports like lacrosse how do you think we handle scholarship money for such players? Do they get a differential to only pay in-state tuition or a full ride? Just curious…

Some guys get some, some guys get nothing, some guys get full. All depends on what the staff wants to offer.

Full rides in lacrosse are very rare, or never, unless you are counting financial aid as part of the scholarship package.

The maximum allotment for a D1 lax team is 12.6 scholarships. Those need to be spread out over a roster of roughly 45 kids.

You can see how having 12.6 at instate rates and 12.6 at out of state makes a massive difference.

Hobbs was able to fix in a month what no one else before him could do.

Reactions: RU62 and gef21
Full rides in lacrosse are very rare, or never, unless you are counting financial aid as part of the scholarship package.

The maximum allotment for a D1 lax team is 12.6 scholarships. Those need to be spread out over a roster of roughly 45 kids.

You can see how having 12.6 at instate rates and 12.6 at out of state makes a massive difference.

What was the issue with this? Was it just people not wanting to grant that kind of money? Was it a title 9 thing?

I'm not sure what the reason was exactly, though I don't believe it was a Title 9 thing. My guess is was simply funding it.

It's solved though. We are fully funded with our of state rates.

Reactions: gef21

So are in state recruits more attractive to RU staff because they take up less scholarship money than out of state recruits?

So are in state recruits more attractive to RU staff because they take up less scholarship money than out of state recruits?

All things being equal, yes. Which is a huge advantage for states like Maryland and now NJ that have great high school lacrosse.

But there is a lot more that goes into than just that. Our roster is very similar to Maryland's as it relates to the percentage of kids on the team from the home state, and much more than lesser high school lacrosse states like North Carolina and Virginia (though those are getting better).

NJ will always have a strong representation on the team, and rightfully so, but you will see kids from all over. That's very much by design.

Before Hobbs was able to fund at out of state rates, we were losing roughly 4 kids a class that. That's a huge gap in recruiting. Over the course of the next few years, you will really start to see what Coach Brecht is able to do with a roster full maximum allowable scholarships.

With the run and gun style we play, it's especially imperative. Even more so since they are talking about a 60 second shot clock installation.

So lets run this down...

• A coach who preaches/teaches/runs an offense the kids in the sport now love to play
  • The financial side has been take care of for guys from the rest of the country
  • The B1G has become a great conference to play in and be part of
  • The LAX complex is not just a thought anymore
  • $$$, like Winter is coming
  • Middies who are starting to look like LBs, Poles who are starting to look like PF
Did I miss anything?

Beware The Legion!

So lets run this down...

• A coach who preaches/teaches/runs an offense the kids in the sport now love to play
  • The financial side has been take care of for guys from the rest of the country
  • The B1G has become a great conference to play in and be part of
  • The LAX complex is not just a thought anymore
  • $$$, like Winter is coming
  • Middies who are starting to look like LBs, Poles who are starting to look like PF
Did I miss anything?

Beware The Legion!

Good list. We must make the complex more than just a thought though. We need it to become reality. Donate!

Lacrosse accolades at the national level are so subjective. If you look on paper, our team should get smoked every year by Hopkins and Maryland and all of their Under Armour All Americans...

Then you see us on the field and we are just as fast (actually faster and more athletic than Hopkins) and skilled.

Rankings of individual lacrosse players is not up to par. There just isn't enough money and people doing the evaluations to correctly rank these kids. Or even come close. Everyone can see there are a few can't miss kids, like that Nanticoke kid at Albany, but beyond a handful of kids, it's knowing what you are after and getting it.

Coach Brecht and staff do an exceptional job of identifying talent. This current squad has more of it than any time in the last 20 years. Gotta go back to the early 90's to compare.

gef- hearing a lot of good things about Sanguinetti...

Great! I love that kid. He got a ton of attention to flip schools but wanted to stick with Rutgers. He is a big influence on our club team for kids who are getting Rutgers interest. Another attackmen with us got an RU offer, and Demetrius will be coming up next year at midfield.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Seems like a number of schools are going after our kids now. That's a good sign.

What schools tried to flip him? Who is the atrackman they offered?

It's early but from what I'm hearing, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sanguinetti see some time in the spring. Must be earning it as there is a lot of older talent on the squad.

Seems like a number of schools are going after our kids now. That's a good sign.

What schools tried to flip him? Who is the atrackman they offered?

It's early but from what I'm hearing, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sanguinetti see some time in the spring. Must be earning it as there is a lot of older talent on the squad.

Basically everyone in the northeast gave him a phone call during his pg year when he made all New England.

Eric Henig out of Henig out of ND. Lefty attackmen. Very athletic.

Glad to hear he is doing well. I will be excited to cheer for him when I bring my team to a game this year. We also have a kid on the team from the HS I coach at.

Good to hear....it's what happens when your program matures and you are getting players. The attempts at poaching are only going to increase.

Hope we get Henig. Saw a little vid...looks legit.

Who is the player from your HS team?

Good to hear....it's what happens when your program matures and you are getting players. The attempts at poaching are only going to increase.

Hope we get Henig. Saw a little vid...looks legit.

Who is the player from your HS team?

Henig committed to RU officially. Really happy for him.

Message me and we can talk about the HS team I am the head coach of. I dont like giving all my info away publicly.

If I'm coach I tell the team to take EVERY game as it's the one that gets them an NCAA bid. I want to see these guys slaughter teams than can, not lose a single game they shouldn't, and take the B1G title so there's NO denying us a bid this time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT