ADVERTISEMENT

MLAX Schedule

Really boosting our OOC slate. It's a home and home with Cuse I presume? I'd love to drop Wagner too...get maybe someone like Penn for a home and home. RU Lax fans would take over Franklin Field on the road vs Penn.

I am not sure that we want to give up all of our gimmie's. I just left there prospect day and to say that the coaches are excited about the direction of the program is an understatement.

Between the B1G schedule, Princeton, Army, Brown, mid tier team Stony Brook and now Syracuse, our schedule is very, very challenging.

Syracuse out of the Dome with our home field advantage in March with all that we have coming back, as of right now we are favored in that game.

I bust on Syracuse a lot here but I give them credit for scheduling this game. No other Acc teams had the balls to schedule us, and I always thought if one did now it would be them. I wonder who they dropped to get it done. Guessing St. John's.

Between the B1G schedule, Princeton, Army, Brown, mid tier team Stony Brook and now Syracuse, our schedule is very, very challenging.

Syracuse out of the Dome with our home field advantage in March with all that we have coming back, as of right now we are favored in that game.

I bust on Syracuse a lot here but I give them credit for scheduling this game. No other Acc teams had the balls to schedule us, and I always thought if one did now it would be them. I wonder who they dropped to get it done. Guessing St. John's.
I think UDel will be tough too with their new coach but we get them at home.

True and there goalie is a beast. There are some that worry that Deluca's hard edge will scare kids off the team.

Good points on Delaware. I believe Fairfield is still on.

Our schedule is back to where it used to be under Coach Hayes.

Unrelated to the schedule but one of the ref's at my kids tourney last week noticed my Rutgers lax hat. Got to chatting, it was Casey Rose. Very nice kid. Did a decent job officiating too.

Reactions: Caliknight
Not sure if anyone is watching BTN Media Days for football here but one thing that might definitely affect RU Lax in a good way is the new 6 year deal with Fox for football, hoops and Olympic sports. I could see RU Lax getting an FS1 Friday night or Sunday afternoon/night game.

Not sure if anyone is watching BTN Media Days for football here but one thing that might definitely affect RU Lax in a good way is the new 6 year deal with Fox for football, hoops and Olympic sports. I could see RU Lax getting an FS1 Friday night or Sunday afternoon/night game.

That would be another game changer. Like BTN.

Unrelated to the schedule but one of the ref's at my kids tourney last week noticed my Rutgers lax hat. Got to chatting, it was Casey Rose. Very nice kid. Did a decent job officiating too.

He is a great kid. And a helluva an athlete. Check out his skiing vids on Youtube. Insane stuff.

I am sorry but TH consistently did more less than anyone in lacrosse. he had to compete with Hopkins, Cuse, Loyola, Maryland and the Ivies ( he always schedule a top 10-15 schedule and were ranked inn the top 20 most years) all of this without a full time assistant and with little to no support from the school, he was a much better recruiter than you know. The basis for Stagnitta's two tourney teams come from TH and Dirrgil's recruits. He recruited the best players ever to but on an RU Uniform in Jackson, Vencak, Cromwell, Rinaldi. I think his 1990 team would (if healthy) whomp today's team.

How many RU coaches in any sport have a better winning % than Tom Hayes?

Great question. Very few. Reasso. Stringer probably. Who else?

Coach Hayes has had more success to date than any coach the program has ever had, more than almost all other coaches in any sport at RU, is in the national HoF and is highly respected the world over in the sport of lacrosse. One of his life long missions has been the spread of the game, which we have seen in every direction. When it is in the Olympics, and it will be, there is one person who did the lion share of that work- him. Simply put, he is a titan in the game. Here are a few articles to better understand.

https://filacrosse.com/tom-hayes-is-lacrosse-magazines-person-of-the-year/

http://laxmagazine.prestosports.com...ayes_humility_helps_spread_lacrosse_worldwide

Reactions: rufamily

Coach Hayes has had more success to date than any coach the program has ever had, more than almost all other coaches in any sport at RU, is in the national HoF and is highly respected the world over in the sport of lacrosse. One of his life long missions has been the spread of the game, which we have seen in every direction. When it is in the Olympics, and it will be, there is one person who did the lion share of that work- him. Simply put, he is a titan in the game. Here are a few articles to better understand.

http://laxmagazine.prestosports.com...ayes_humility_helps_spread_lacrosse_worldwide
You want to know about Coach Hayes read the stories and understand that his players are fiercely loyal.

I am sorry but TH consistently did more less than anyone in lacrosse. he had to compete with Hopkins, Cuse, Loyola, Maryland and the Ivies ( he always schedule a top 10-15 schedule and were ranked inn the top 20 most years) all of this without a full time assistant and with little to no support from the school, he was a much better recruiter than you know. The basis for Stagnitta's two tourney teams come from TH and Dirrgil's recruits. He recruited the best players ever to but on an RU Uniform in Jackson, Vencak, Cromwell, Rinaldi. I think his 1990 team would (if healthy) whomp today's team.
What Tom Hayes had to compete with during his tenure was laughable. Two part-time ass’t coaches (each making a couple grand per season), hardly any recruiting budget, and less than half of the scholarship dollars allowed. The other schools had the full boat of scholies, full-time assistants, and recruiting budgets that enabled them to evaluate kids In person. Yet, Rutgers was still expected to compete on an annual basis. In the first half of his time coaching, he was able to excel in spite of all of this. Once other programs started boosting up their lacrosse budgets, RU got left in the dust. Georgetown was the best example. GT made the move to D-1 and started off with the full allotment of scholarship dollars to divvy up; the full number of assistant coaches; a recruiting budget to get out and evaluate kids and not just rely on the word of their HS coach. The result was them quickly becoming a major player in the game in the 1990’s. RU slid by staying the same. The program hit a long stretch of mediocrity as a result – something that was the case for Tom’s successors until last season (Stagnitta’s b2b NCAA appearances were impressive, but the bulk of his time on the banks was mediocre).

Long and short: college sports are pretty easy to figure out. It’s having the money that the other schools do. Start there and you’ve got a shot.

Add in Freddie Hill as well. Frank Burns too. Point is, Coach Hayes was a tremendous coach at RU for a long time. Only RU fans enjoy knocking down our own.

Reactions: RU62
Jim, I hope you learned something here. Bottom line is Rutgers until recently never fully committed itself to athletic excellence. For many years several of the Olympic sports did not have their full allowable number of scholarships as well as full time assistant coaches and yet competed against programs that did.

Going back many years to football this was true and makes the record of Frank Burns even more remarkable. And ask why did Tom Young and Theresa Grentz leave....lack of a full commitment while at a high point of doing more with less. It became the same old story of the State University wanting to be Harvard, Princeton and Yale during the week and Nebraska or Michigan on saturday. The success of coaches like Hayes and Reasso were remarkable given the limitations they were working with. There is no need to comment on football and basketball becsuse after Burns and Tom Young the results were less than stellar and the common thread is poor administration and again a half baked commitment. Fortunately Rutgers rightef the ship a bit when Mulcahy hired Schiano and found ways to put some $$$ into the athletic programs and was rewarded by being terminated. 'Nuff said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT