ADVERTISEMENT

MLAX Scrimmage Navy/Umass Saturday @ RU

Counting on you Golfer, you are going to have to feed my RU Lax fix this weekend. Take notes

I'll do my best :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I'll need to do some prep work to make sure I know who's who...

Looking forward to it

RU v Umass....high level update

Q1 RU wins 6-4
Q2 Tied 3-3
Q3 RU wins 4-0
Q4 RU wins 3-2

Reset score after every quarter...which is expected in scrimmage format

I'm not gonna get into names at this point, but will talk position groups...

RU looks solid after game 1...lots of guys playing
In Q1, we struggled with transition from D to O, had a couple turnovers that led to easy odd man scores...I think 3 of the 4 goals Umass scored in Q1 were off transition turnovers

Offense looked very solid so far, lots of choices and weapons at midfield...deep, big, fast, talented

Attack was crisp. The guys you expected to look good...looked good.

Not sure but my guess is we had 10 different goal scorers accounting for the 16 goals.

Goaltending was plus (3-4 goals we're of the no chance variety IMO). Odd man transition give ups

Settled Defense looked very solid...again in my untrained eyes

Face offs looked plus ( I'm not keeping stats but I think we were clipping about 60%...again I'm not sure, maybe I'm way off but it felt like we were on the plus side)

Certainly some stuff to clean up, but I think it was a plus effort...again my opinion...I'm not a coach

I'll drop more after the Navy game

PS...it's cold here :flushed:

Thanks, Man! How’d the new transfer from Detroit Mercy do? He full go?
The UDM transfer scored his first goal as a Scarlet Knight on his first shot...thanks for asking

Speed dodge from the top, down alley, beat his man, hands free rip on run to far post high corner...goal. It was a nice take.

I think he's a little limited still...only started practice with contact this week again after 2 weeks sidelined...he's got some catching up to do (his words, not mine)

Yes, sorry I should have told you about that field. It is about 10 degrees colder their and everywhere else. Not sure why but is it colder there.

Happy to here about Kamish, he is going to be a weapon. For us. Who did he run with? Rose and Gellagher.? That would be my guess ( 20 and 34)

Great to here we were a plus at the face off X did 45 take most of them ( Schoen) or did 7 get some as well (Harryman)

Which goalie went in after Max. I have been most impressed with Touhy (91) after Max in cage

I heard we played Navy to a goal but that is all I know. It was 6-3 after one and then we started subbing

I heard we played Navy to a goal but that is all I know. It was 6-3 after one and then we started subbing
Q1 was 6-3 RU
Q2 was 7-3 Navy
Q3 was Tied 2-2
Q4 was Tied 3-3

The scrimmage v Navy was tight...we kind of jumped them in Q1, then they came out in Q2, won a handful of face offs in a row, and really just jumped us...we were down 3-0 in the first three minutes of Q2...my point being we had about a 4-5 minute bad run...with that said, very competitive plus lacrosse outside that Q2 first 5 min...

Navy was physically impressive...much bigger, more athletic than UMass

Yes, in both scrimmages, we subbed and played lots of players, many different combinations...so yes, to draw any major conclusions about who's better would not be possible...I would just call the matchup very even...both teams subbed in the second half. Navy did have one player #6...two way middie, barely left the field in Q1 and Q2...really a strong player, and he did play a lot in Q3...Didn't see him in Q4.

Max played Q1 in net....then RU rotated other keepers (as expected)

It was an enjoyable day for me...

Good to hear. These scrimmages are really about seeing what we have with new players and guys in new roles, getting people acclimated to the speed of the game and the shot clock.

Was that a factor?

From the highlights I saw, we looked fast. Strong. I saw a bunch of new guys making plays. Let’s hope AC is full to in the fall and we stay away from the injury bug. AC being on the field healthy is huge. That kid has a very unique skill set in all of NCAA lacrosse.

Reactions: rufamily
Q1 was 6-3 RU
Q2 was 7-3 Navy
Q3 was Tied 2-2
Q4 was Tied 3-3

The scrimmage v Navy was tight...we kind of jumped them in Q1, then they came out in Q2, won a handful of face offs in a row, and really just jumped us...we were down 3-0 in the first three minutes of Q2...my point being we had about a 4-5 minute bad run...with that said, very competitive plus lacrosse outside that Q2 first 5 min...

Navy was physically impressive...much bigger, more athletic than UMass

Yes, in both scrimmages, we subbed and played lots of players, many different combinations...so yes, to draw any major conclusions about who's better would not be possible...I would just call the matchup very even...both teams subbed in the second half. Navy did have one player #6...two way middie, barely left the field in Q1 and Q2...really a strong player, and he did play a lot in Q3...Didn't see him in Q4.

Max played Q1 in net....then RU rotated other keepers (as expected)

It was an enjoyable day for me...
Great recap of both games thank you so much, it will be really interesting to see how they use the middies and how much two way will they have to play. There are still some other questions like who will be the third pole? What will the faceoff situation look like, how much will they be able to use the d-mids. Will they rise with the o mods or sub out and try and get there d mods on the field.

Good to hear. These scrimmages are really about seeing what we have with new players and guys in new roles, getting people acclimated to the speed of the game and the shot clock.

Was that a factor?

From the highlights I saw, we looked fast. Strong. I saw a bunch of new guys making plays. Let’s hope AC is full to in the fall and we stay away from the injury bug. AC being on the field healthy is huge. That kid has a very unique skill set in all of NCAA lacrosse.
Good morning...currently up in the air flying back to Detroit...just a quick add on/follow-up

Regarding the shot clock impact...both teams in both scrimmages had a few violations...but not tons, and again, one could attribute that to playing different lines (both at attack and midfield)...so my opinion on the clock and impact to RU would be it will not have a major impact (at least negative) on what they want to do

Again overall if you lump both games together for a summary from my eyes (A fans perspective):

Team looked good for most of both scrimmages
RU has a lot of pieces to sort through on offense...lots of options, athletes and depth
AC didn't play of course so that's going to be a plus...assuming all goes well health wise
RU looked very athletic
We did have issues in transition, cost us multiple goals and we were sloppy at times (I'm sure it gets fixed)
Umass looked smaller, Navy looked bigger across the board
FO play was very solid v Umass, but we struggled v Navy (again I don't have stats...just my eye)
Everyone played...so again, can't put much weight on scores...but for my eye, RU looked the part

Gonna be interesting now after the Alumni game next week to see how things start falling into place as things slow down a bit and then they crescendo back towards January and as actual preseason practice ramps up for go time...

You have a lot of pieces in the middle of the field and by my eye, not much is separating 7-8 guys...but knowing injuries happen, and depth is always needed...that should be a big plus for this team in my opinion

Great recap of both games thank you so much, it will be really interesting to see how they use the middies and how much two way will they have to play. There are still some other questions like who will be the third pole? What will the faceoff situation look like, how much will they be able to use the d-mids. Will they rise with the o mods or sub out and try and get there d mods on the field.
All good questions...as I just noted, lots of parts to look at in the midfield position and I'm not so sure much separates those guys...lots of different skill sets, lots of athletes, some with D1 experience and success, some not (freshman)

#9 at the faceoff x looked good at times, 45 took most of them...that will be interesting

Tommy and Kieran looked good...as expected

I'm sure the coaches will have lots to critique and then coach up...that's their job right to evaluate and teach...but from my eye, the only negatives were at times, our inability to get clean clears (poles mainly) and then the bad 5 minute stretch at the start of Q2 vs. Navy where they won multiple face offs, we had violations and took back to back FO penalties and before we knew it, the quarter score was already 4-0...in the first like 3-5 minutes of that session...to me, that was the only time all day we didn't look the part...

It is not all that surprising that we struggled at times clearing and in transition as Rexrode was one of our best transition guys as was Scarpello and Mazzone. Christiano has been out most of the fall so Martin is the only guy with real game experience. That will get fixed. We are 8 deep at middie on the offensive side and 5 deep at d-middie. 5 deep at attack (AC) will be fine. 3 deep at LSM, and 6 deep at close. We have many more options at the face off X, as I heard the Ott (9) and Oltsman (52) both did pretty well with Schoen and Harryman that gives us four options at the faceoff X. All good problems to have

Reactions: Golfer2019
Good problems indeed...

Contrary to the uneducated non-lacrosse followers, the sport is very physical and takes a big toll on these kids bodies...making it through 4 year college career let alone a season is tough physically

Depth is actually what separates champions from teams that fall just short...

There is a reason that Bama is in the football playoff each year....they have injuries like everyone else...but they roll out another stud that's ready to compete that has been waiting....most other college teams can't sustain injuries...Bama can

With that said, I hope we have no injuries come January...but reality is reality...depth might be the key to a Rutgers run in April and May...

That is the way we want to play anyhow but it is going to force other teams with less depth to have to play the same way, which should give us an advantage when it comes to depth but we will have a offensive middies playing defense without Scarpello or Mazzone and Toliver who were all threats in transition but I think you will also see the d-miss staying out on defense less which should allow us to flow into our offense faster.

Good stuff guys. It’s always amusing to me when I hear non educated people say that lacrosse isn’t a contact sport. There are a couple of those on this site.

The word I keep seeing in this thread is depth. That is huge for the obvious injury reason. It’s also huge for another obvious reason- practice. As they say, steel sharpens steel. When you are competing against other great players, everyone’s game rises.

Thanks for the detailed posts guys.

Good stuff guys. It’s always amusing to me when I hear non educated people say that lacrosse isn’t a contact sport. There are a couple of those on this site.

The word I keep seeing in this thread is depth. That is huge for the obvious injury reason. It’s also huge for another obvious reason- practice. As they say, steel sharpens steel. When you are competing against other great players, everyone’s game rises.

Thanks for the detailed posts guys.
They're the same people that if you put a stick and helmet in their hands and told them to practice with the team, they'd be puking their guts out 5 minutes in.

They're the same people that if you put a stick and helmet in their hands and told them to practice with the team, they'd be puking their guts out 5 minutes in.

As I tell them. One of them is that Planning guy on the CE board. He equates lacrosse to field hockey. His utter ignorance is pretty comical.

As I tell them. One of them is that Planning guy on the CE board. He equates lacrosse to field hockey. His utter ignorance is pretty comical.

Just have that guy stand at field level of a D1 game...close enough to hear it, see it, feel it

Speed, athleticism, skill, IQ...and a hint of violence (not as much as football, but it's there)

Reactions: bigmatt718
Try getting hit with a field hockey stick or ball without any protection whatsoever, not to mention the speed required for both sports

He likes to equate it to women’s field hockey.

I’d bring him on the field but that would mean I would have to hang out with him. Pass.

Anyone who played lacrosse at any real level is walking differently in their older age. Feeling pretty fortunate in that regard so far. I know a lot of guys a lot less lucky.

He likes to equate it to women’s field hockey.

I’d bring him on the field but that would mean I would have to hang out with him. Pass.

Anyone who played lacrosse at any real level is walking differently in their older age. Feeling pretty fortunate in that regard so far. I know a lot of guys a lot less lucky.
Your comment about having to hang out made me laugh...

I hear you on walking differently...I played a couple years of D1 football before I walked away...I escaped ok, but still had back surgery at age 45 multiple broken fingers (my hands ache daily, probably arthritis) and it takes me a good 30 minutes to feel good in the morning...and I'm not 50 yet...but lots have it far worse...and we're not even talking about head injuries. I give lots of credit to kids at any level that play sports in college...from the superstars to the last guy on the roster...massive commitment and dedication.

Reactions: Caliknight
It sure does. I have tons of respect for all of these student athletes. It's why I try and support them the best I can.

Division 1 College athletics is simply crazy and you must be incredible dedicated in whatever sports you pursue. Division 3 is getting there as well (no fighting). Anyone who dismisses lacrosse and not a physical demanding sport has simply never been hit repeatedly with a stick or had a head on collision with another player. When I played there were few players where you were like wow that kid is big. well walk the sidelines at Rutgers today and those boys are Huge and I was fortunate enough to see Duke scrimmage Saturday night and they are gigantic. That being said I would say we are bigger and deeper than we have ever been, hopefully that translates to wins.

I remember playing Michigan St. when they had a team at RU one year...one of their D linemen from the football team was a reserve crease defenseman...not too many people, wanted to go in there when he was in and the game was out of hand.

Fortunately for us, we had one of the baddest D men in the NCAA.

I remember playing Michigan St. when they had a team at RU one year...one of their D linemen from the football team was a reserve crease defenseman...not too many people, wanted to go in there when he was in and the game was out of hand.

Fortunately for us, we had one of the baddest D men in the NCAA.
Yes, he certainly was a bad man.

Division 1 College athletics is simply crazy and you must be incredible dedicated in whatever sports you pursue. Division 3 is getting there as well (no fighting). Anyone who dismisses lacrosse and not a physical demanding sport has simply never been hit repeatedly with a stick or had a head on collision with another player. When I played there were few players where you were like wow that kid is big. well walk the sidelines at Rutgers today and those boys are Huge and I was fortunate enough to see Duke scrimmage Saturday night and they are gigantic. That being said I would say we are bigger and deeper than we have ever been, hopefully that translates to wins.
Easy family...I really don't want to start up the D1 v D3 discussion again...please not again :flushed::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

any info on how the freshmen played?
I was not there but I have been on other occasions and will say the Sprock and Daninger have been getting a lot of run at middie and will be in the top 8 of the offensive middies. Ott has been facing off well. Stahanczyk and Taub have been getting run at close with the second group while Rall is probably the third pole right now, behind Pless and Massesa. Russo has been switched to SSDM and is in the top four their Dancsecs is probably 6th at SSDM right now. Stevenson has been moved to Attack where he is on the second line with Thompson.

New comers Frankowiak, Kamish and Massesa will all play significant role this year.

while there is a lot of talent in this class, i would not expect a ton of these kids to play. I would expect to see- Sprock, Daninger, Ott, Rall, Russo get playing time. I think the fourth attackman is Schachte,I think and he will get little playing time of the other three are healthy.
Of the 8 middies locks for playing time are Rose, Kamish, Gallagher, Peterson the variables will be Mead and Sangiunetti and the wild cards are Sprock and Daninger. the feeling is Sprock is the most ready of the offensive players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT