ADVERTISEMENT

MSOC takes on Howard tonight at 7pm

This is a game even this team should win. HBCU teams historically are among the worst athletic departments in the nation.

This is a game even this team should win. HBCU teams historically are among the worst athletic departments in the nation.
Howard had some awesome teams back on the 80s I think. May have gotten to a finals of college cup. Had a goalie named Shaka Hislop I think.

RU dominating play (12-2 in shots) ... still 0-0 with 30 min left. No tie! Break on through to the other side!!!!!! It’s a comin!

0-0 after 1st OT ... time to make a play in ouR hoUse

Congrats RU ... got that tie to improve to 2-8-2 ... Howard improves to 1-5-4 ... on to the next challenge!!!!!

RU came out firing, and ran out of gas late in the game and OT. The goalie muffed a save right to a Howard player on the losing goal.

Expected a win. Then it looked like it would be a tie. Of course a loss.

Have no expectations and you won’t be disappointed!

Just when you think the program has hit rock bottom, another back hoe of dirt is removed. So who does Hobbs go to for counsel on the next HC?

Good question? Who knows? I’ll just be happy if he actually pulls the trigger to remove and replace.

Coach’s postgame comments:

"It was clear we didn't finish our chances," said head coach Dan Donigan. "We certainly had enough opportunities, but at the end of the day you still have to put the ball in the back of the net and we weren't able to do
that. It was very unfortunate, a bad hop to give that game away.

"We've got to focus our attention to where that needs to be and that's conference play and Friday night. We can't focus on these negatives. We put ourselves in this position and we have to move on. We can really do a lot for ourselves Friday if we can bounce back from this loss."

Well, I don’t know the guy and I think that the critique of his coaching can be made without having to insult the man. That being said, there is absolutely no reason for him to remain on the banks after this season. He’s well overstayed his time given the past three years or so of losing seasons. I really won’t believe that Hobbs is going to do anything until I see it though.

Why do we have to let it get to this point?? I just don't understand it. Everyone other than Hobbs knew this was going to happen this year. We are literally one of the worst soccer programs in the country. That's incomprehensible. And we actually totally dumbed down the schedule and still can't win.

RU came out firing, and ran out of gas late in the game and OT. The goalie muffed a save right to a Howard player on the losing goal.

Expected a win. Then it looked like it would be a tie. Of course a loss.

Have no expectations and you won’t be disappointed!
To say that the goalie muffed that save is both accurate and kind of an understatement. The ball short-hopped him into the face and bounced off of his face right to a Howard player in the box who put away a clear shot into goal. Crazy.

Hobbs is a failure when it comes to accountability for coaches in more prominent sports.

Hobbs is a failure when it comes to accountability for coaches in more prominent sports.
This is wrong. If you want to blame someone, blame the BoG or Barchi. Hobbs has his hands tied behind his back when it comes to some of these coaching moves.

Rutgers are too frugal to fire people right now, especially within the Olympic sports. The reasoning is simple: we are still paying for Julie Hermann/Kyle Flood's messes.

The past two Olympic coaches who have been let go, were let go when their contracts expired. That is what presumably will happen with Donigan, so pray that his contract is up, which it should be according to what I've pasted below (from another thread).

" Dan Donigan (men's soccer)
In 2016, Rutgers men’s soccer coach Dan Donigan earned $139,340.

His initial four-year contract signed in July 2012 paid him a base salary of $120,000. In February 2016, he agreed to a two-year extension through the 2017 season. His current base salary is $140,000. If he met all of his incentives for on-field and academic achievements, Donigan could earn an additional $56,000.

Donigan is the second-lowest paid men’s soccer coach in the Big Ten, with the median salary standing at $235,500. Maryland’s Sasho Cirovski is the highest-paid Big Ten coach at $649,120."
I don't know whats left but Hobbs just needs to find a way to get it done.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i..._how_much_rutgers_coaches_earn_and_where.html"

Reactions: biazza38
This is wrong. If you want to blame someone, blame the BoG or Barchi. Hobbs has his hands tied behind his back when it comes to some of these coaching moves.

Rutgers are too frugal to fire people right now, especially within the Olympic sports. The reasoning is simple: we are still paying for Julie Hermann/Kyle Flood's messes.

The past two Olympic coaches who have been let go, were let go when their contracts expired. That is what presumably will happen with Donigan, so pray that his contract is up, which it should be according to what I've pasted below (from another thread).

" Dan Donigan (men's soccer)
In 2016, Rutgers men’s soccer coach Dan Donigan earned $139,340.

His initial four-year contract signed in July 2012 paid him a base salary of $120,000. In February 2016, he agreed to a two-year extension through the 2017 season. His current base salary is $140,000. If he met all of his incentives for on-field and academic achievements, Donigan could earn an additional $56,000.

Donigan is the second-lowest paid men’s soccer coach in the Big Ten, with the median salary standing at $235,500. Maryland’s Sasho Cirovski is the highest-paid Big Ten coach at $649,120."
I don't know whats left but Hobbs just needs to find a way to get it done.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i..._how_much_rutgers_coaches_earn_and_where.html"
Apparently his contract was up after last season (2017) according to what you’ve posted. That would have been at the end of two consecutive losing seasons. But I guess his contract was extended/renewed? I get it that Hobbs has his hands tied to a degree, but the MSOC situation is not difficult to solve especially given that they’ve had two occasions amidst Donigan’s recent years of losing to not renew or extend him. That seems to be a lack of vision on Hobbs’s part.

Apparently his contract was up after last season (2017) according to what you’ve posted. That would have been at the end of two consecutive losing seasons. But I guess his contract was extended/renewed? I get it that Hobbs has his hands tied to a degree, but the MSOC situation is not difficult to solve especially given that they’ve had two occasions amidst Donigan’s recent years of losing to not renew or extend him. That seems to be a lack of vision on Hobbs’s part.

Fair point. I created that mess of a thread last year thinking he would be gone and look where we are.

I just think this loss to Howard really compounds, yet highlights the reasons why Dan assuredly needs to go, no matter the contract situation. If Dan stays on, I will be right behind you with my pitchfork.

Fair point. I created that mess of a thread last year thinking he would be gone and look where we are.

I just think this loss to Howard really compounds, yet highlights the reasons why Dan assuredly needs to go, no matter the contract situation. If Dan stays on, I will be right behind you with my pitchfork.
Right on. I also wanted to state that within all of these MSOC threads, the tone towards Donigan can get kind of heated. I’m guilty of that myself and just feel like it’s important to remember that he is a guy, probably a good one, with a family and a job that I’m sure is crucial to him. So although we are all in our rights to be critical of him, I personally want to say that I feel for him and his struggles and the fact that every night must be a miserable sleep not knowing what lies ahead.

Hopefully the soccer alums are stepping up. If real moves are to be made, boosters need to be very involved.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT