ADVERTISEMENT

My assessment of OSU/RU...

OSU will get 15 points from 125-141. Another 11 from 197-285. That's 27 points right there.

26-22 Ohio Sts wins

Flesh it out, because on its face it sounds like a prediction from an wildly unrealistic Ohio State fan talking.

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/5238814-285-lbs-match-cameron-wade-penn-st-vs-dj-russo-rutgers

It will come down to PSU 285 trying to ball up again trying to not get pinned.

Oh, January 28 is going to be so enjoyable.

Matter loves to put Rutgers down as he indirectly references how much better Penn State is. I think we all know that PSU has been great since Cael arrived and that PSU has a long tradition of wrestling success. Matter, we know we aren’t Penn State. True fans support their team without bashing other programs. I don’t look forward to his posts before and after the PSU match. How does one use the ignore function?

Matter loves to put Rutgers down as he indirectly references how much better Penn State is. I think we all know that PSU has been great since Cael arrived and that PSU has a long tradition of wrestling success. Matter, we know we aren’t Penn State. True fans support their team without bashing other programs. I don’t look forward to his posts before and after the PSU match. How does one use the ignore function?
Matter loves the attention he gets here.
He gets ignored at BWI.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Trash the program? Where? I said they wrestled a lot better against Ohio State than they did against Iowa. I said they wrestled to expectations Sunday. How is that trashing them?

I kind of expect one guy to surprise in front of a big home crowd. DeLuca was that guy, but it wasn't like DeLuca was ranked that much below Hayes. I think they performed pretty much in line with expectations.

But they looked like they were trying not to lose big, and being very conservative in doing it, which basically meant they wrestled to keep the dual score respectable, not to win.

"When do I trash the program?"

Next sentence... minimize a huge upset win as "expected" and then claims the team looked like they were not wrestling to win. Lol. Got it. This just proves my point. You know anytime a top 5 kid loses its a huge upset. Top 5 guys do not lose. Hayes is 48-4 as a college wrestler, and beat #3 Kolodzik a couple weeks ago.

Anyone think that matter7172 is actually Andy Matter who wrestled at Penn State in 1971 and 1972? If not, he’s a sad fan boy.

OSU will get 15 points from 125-141. Another 11 from 197-285. That's 27 points right there.

26-22 Ohio Sts wins

I’ll bet whatever you want on both of your predictions. You’re either nuts or smokin something if you truly believe what you wrote

Matter loves the attention he gets here.
He gets ignored at BWI.

Says the man with a like ratio here of 50:1. My ratio is something like 16 times yours here and you just got a cheapie.

"When do I trash the program?"

Next sentence... minimize a huge upset win as "expected" and then claims the team looked like they were not wrestling to win. Lol. Got it. This just proves my point. You know anytime a top 5 kid loses its a huge upset. Top 5 guys do not lose. Hayes is 48-4 as a college wrestler, and beat #3 Kolodzik a couple weeks ago.

That's not trashing. I just don't agree it's a huge upset. I think they are pretty close in ability. 149 seems to be a weight class where there is a clear-cut #1; a clear-cut #2 and then about 14 guys that are pretty equivalent - of which DeLuca is one. If an unranked guy beat Hayes, that's a huge upset. A somewhat lower-ranked guy still in the top 15 in the country is not to me. Maybe it is to you, but Hayes has been shown to be vulnerable late in matches (also lost to Heilmen late and nearly lost to Maruca {#11} late also). So, no, it's not a huge upset or wildly unexpected. Not a shock, which is "huge upset" to me. It's an upset. No need for hyperbole. I'm actually not minimizing DeLuca's ability, which you are by calling his win a "huge upset". You're the one trashing DeLuca.

They were wrestling to keep things close in almost all the matches yesterday to my eyes. DeLuca was the exception among guys who weren't favored. Even Lewis was closed up. I'm not the only one who has remarked on this.

OK. DeLuca beating Hayes was one of the biggest upsets in college wrestling history. It was HUGE. Seriously? It was a mild upset.

Anyone think that matter7172 is actually Andy Matter who wrestled at Penn State in 1971 and 1972? If not, he’s a sad fan boy.

No, I'm not Andy Matter. He was my first wrestling hero when I started wrestling and he won national championships in 1971 and 1972. Good enough for me. Are we really critiquing screen names? Dangerous move from a guy with your screen name. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Says the man with a like ratio here of 50:1. My ratio is something like 16 times yours here and you just got a cheapie.

That's not trashing. I just don't agree it's a huge upset. I think they are pretty close in ability. 149 seems to be a weight class where there is a clear-cut #1; a clear-cut #2 and then about 14 guys that are pretty equivalent - of which DeLuca is one. If an unranked guy beat Hayes, that's a huge upset. A somewhat lower-ranked guy still in the top 15 in the country is not to me. Maybe it is to you, but Hayes has been shown to be vulnerable late in matches (also lost to Heilmen late and nearly lost to Maruca {#11} late also). So, no, it's not a huge upset or wildly unexpected. Not a shock, which is "huge upset" to me. It's an upset. No need for hyperbole. I'm actually not minimizing DeLuca's ability, which you are by calling his win a "huge upset". You're the one trashing DeLuca.

They were wrestling to keep things close in almost all the matches yesterday to my eyes. DeLuca was the exception among guys who weren't favored. Even Lewis was closed up. I'm not the only one who has remarked on this.

OK. DeLuca beating Hayes was one of the biggest upsets in college wrestling history. It was HUGE. Seriously? It was a mild upset.

No, I'm not Andy Matter. He was my first wrestling hero when I started wrestling and he won national championships in 1971 and 1972. Good enough for me. Are we really critiquing screen names? Dangerous move from a guy with your screen name. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Not defending or agreeing but it seems if anything is said that a couple guys don’t agree with here then that person is called a troll ..I was called a troll for calling out Richie for his antics a bit ago and ridiculed for joining recently ..c’mon guys grow the hell up ..differences of opinion is healthy ..now if a guy constantly rips the team or the coach then have the moderators do something about it ..to call names and act like children I’m sure is not what this forum is for ..having said that I feel the team for the most part wrestled to not lose as opposed to wrestling to win ...I was there ..I thoroughly enjoyed our moments but they were few and far between ...why ? ..who the hell knows .

Matter is OK and even though I don’t agree with him all of the time he is knowledgeable and generally has the facts straight. If he wants to post an opinion go at it.

Reactions: matter7172
Matter is OK and even though I don’t agree with him all of the time he is knowledgeable and generally has the facts straight. If he wants to post an opinion go at it.

Thanks for being a voice of reason, Bill, as I know you are respected here. Really, saying the team wrestled to expectations is hardly an insult. And they did wrestle a lot better than they did against Iowa, even with Gravina being out.

I stand by what I said. Bill can defend you, that's his prerogative. From my point of view, all you have ever done on this board is criticize Rutgers and talk up PSU. Some may not mind it, I don't appreciate it. Your posts and agenda in being here are completely transparent.

Your little schtick of being the "voice of reason" when we are feeling positive about our team gets real old, real quick.

Look no further than your first post in this thread. Rutgers fan posts a positive message about the dual, you reply 1. It wasnt really positive; 2. Rutgers will be lucky to win 2 against PSU, 3. Change the subject to how great the PSU-OSU match will be.

Last edited:
Reactions: TRU2RU
Look no further than your first post in this thread. Rutgers fan posts a positive message about the dual, you reply 1. It wasnt really positive; 2. Rutgers will be lucky to win 2 against PSU, 3. Change the subject to how great the PSU-OSU match will be.

And you're being a little ridiculous. One, I don't have any responsibility to be "positive". I said Rutgers won one they "shouldn't have", which indicated I thought DeLuca/Hayes was not that big a surprise. And that DelV and Pletcher was a toss up in my mind which went against Rutgers. Again, I'm guilty only of being favorable to the Rutgers wrestler.

Two, I think Rutgers will win two against Penn State. I didn't say they'd be lucky to do it. They are better at two weight classes. Anything more will be upsets.

Three, I didn't :"change the subject". Read the original post:

"All in all... Some good, some bad... I thought 4 wins was absolute best case scenario..And we nearly achieved that.. OSU is the BEST dual team in the country.. I think head to head they're better than PSU.. As there isn't 1 hole in this lineup..."

How did I "change the subject"? It's something the OP brought up. Again, you're being ridiculous. This time a lot.

For what it is worth, I said OSU is the most balanced team I have seen with NT. I also think they will beat PSU. That does not make me genius. I also think we wrestled good against OSU and won more than expected. I did not expect to win 3. That we won 3 exceeded my expectations. I think Delvecchio should have beaten Pletcher if he was more aggressive. Ashnault beat him 3 times last year at141.

For what it is worth, I said OSU is the most balanced team I have seen with NT. I also think they will beat PSU. That does not make me genius. I also think we wrestled good against OSU and won more than expected. I did not expect to win 3. That we won 3 exceeded my expectations. I think Delvecchio should have beaten Pletcher if he was more aggressive. Ashnault beat him 3 times last year at141.

See, I think more of the Rutgers team than you guys. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I figured 3 wins with Nato being out. I agree about DelVecchio.

I disagree about OSU/PSU, though. I think Penn State, as I outlined above, will sweep 149-184 and wind up with more bonus points. Ohio State will get 4 bonus points at most(125 and 285 get two each - and Snyder only got 1 bonus point the last time he wrestled Nevills) and Penn State will get 5 from Zain and Nolf and will find either one upset at home (keep a close eye on 197 and, to a lesser extent, 141) or another bonus point. But they really only need the 5. It's going to be close, though. Unless Penn State can grab upsets at 141 and/or 197. Which could happen.

Wait, so, matter... you didnt even attend PSU?

Nope. But I've been a fan of Penn State wrestling ever since I started wrestling/watching wrestling, which is over 45 years now. Is that ok with you? I did attend Rutgers for a year in the Economics PhD program, as long as we are asking for irrelevant bona fides.

Okay. So its just PSU. Glad we settled that. I definitely think you can stop harping on it now. I mean, if you, as a PSU fan, are going to harp on this "culture" and attacking style, and it all really boils down to PSU is awesome and everyone else sucks, its kind of meaningless.

You have no point. All you do is trash our program, and put enough window dressing on it that you don't get banned.
It's been his shtick since day one. Every post boils down to psu is awesome, your team has no hope. He just disguises this basic premise in all of his posts. But make no mistake he's not here to talk wrestling, he's here to point out how superior he feels psu is to the rest of the field. With subtle digs at RU. He always puts a negative spin on whenever RU does well. Case in point the Midlands tournament. Now we'll hear how he's an RU season ticket holder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead

Not defending or agreeing but it seems if anything is said that a couple guys don’t agree with here then that person is called a troll ..I was called a troll for calling out Richie for his antics a bit ago and ridiculed for joining recently ..c’mon guys grow the hell up ..differences of opinion is healthy ..now if a guy constantly rips the team or the coach then have the moderators do something about it ..to call names and act like children I’m sure is not what this forum is for ..having said that I feel the team for the most part wrestled to not lose as opposed to wrestling to win ...I was there ..I thoroughly enjoyed our moments but they were few and far between ...why ? ..who the hell knows .
I stand by what I said. Bill can defend you, that's his prerogative. From my point of view, all you have ever done on this board is criticize Rutgers and talk up PSU. Some may not mind it, I don't appreciate it. Your posts and agenda in being here are completely transparent.

Your little schtick of being the "voice of reason" when we are feeling positive about our team gets real old, real quick.

So what ...ok he loves penn state ...you judges have made that point over and over ...does that mean he can’t post or give an opinion ...is this a RU forum only ...with only RU fans ..just playing devils advocate because as I said before I only joined recently and I follow RU because I know some of the kids and love wrestling as a whole but this guy called me a troll ..said I had multiple identities which I don’t and ripped me because I didn’t like the way the RL weight issue played out in the LH and Iowa matches ..for that I was called a troll ..read between the lines ..the guy loves PSU ...so what ...if that’s not allowed boot him ..otherwise move on and grow up.

Abro, messages 48 and 49 are waiting for a response.

A beer? A donation to Wrestling for Life in the name of the winner? Straight cash payment? Loser has to make his avatar a picture of himself in opposing team's gear? Anything? Or, are your convictions only message board deep?

I’ll bet whatever you want on both of your predictions. You’re either nuts or smokin something if you truly believe what you wrote

No, I am not going to Nationals, will watch on ESPN . Although I have relatives in Cleveland and would also love to see the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, so not 100percent decided

As far as this prediction I made:

"OSU will get 15 points from 125-141. Another 11 from 197-285. That's 27 points right there.

26-22 Ohio Sts wins"

I really think OSU gets at least 12 points from 125-141, even with Nick Lee in the lineup,
I really think OSU gets at least 9 points from 197-285 no matter who PSU puts in at 197.

I went a teeney bit overboard to elicit an outrage from either you, matter, or whatever PSU fan I was responding to back then, lol. I think I succeeded. Could I have been drinking when I wrote that? If it was Friday night or Sunday while a match was going on, then yes, probably either a beer, bourbon manhatten, or even a black or white russian. Smoking? those days are over, herb only makes me paranoid now, not belligerent, lol.

I'll bet a beer or cocktail on each prediction, but not sure if/when you are coming to Piscataway for a match or football game. Penn St wrestles at RU soon, and next season Penn St comes to RU for football.

Last edited:
No, I am not going to Nationals, will watch on ESPN . Although I have relatives in Cleveland and would also love to see the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, so not 100percent decided

As far as this prediction I made:

"OSU will get 15 points from 125-141. Another 11 from 197-285. That's 27 points right there.

26-22 Ohio Sts wins"

I really think OSU gets at least 12 points from 125-141, even with Nick Lee in the lineup,
I really think OSU gets at least 9 points from 197-285 no matter who PSU puts in at 197.

I went a teeney bit overboard to elicit an outrage from either you, matter, or whatever PSU fan I was responding to back then, lol. I think I succeeded. Could I have been drinking when I wrote that? If it was Friday night or Sunday while a match was going on, then yes, probably either a beer, bourbon manhatten, or even a black or white russian. Smoking? those days are over, herb only makes me paranoid now, not belligerent, lol.

I'll bet a beer or cocktail on each prediction, but not sure if/when you are coming to Piscataway for a match or football game. Penn St wrestles at RU soon, and next season Penn St comes to RU for football.
Outrage? Actually, I laughed.

So, are you wanting to change the bet to 12 and 9, from 15 and 11, or are you sticking with the original? Just want to clarify before I commit.

As far as payment, we'll just play it by ear.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT