• NIT

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other tournament/None

Votes: 34 21.3%

• Total voters

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
Do you see Rutgers Basketball heading to the NCAA tournament, the NIT, or one of the other tournaments/no tournament this season ?

I think this team is capable of 14-19 wins. I voted NIT and I think they do it but they need to get more big wins. There are plenty of chances in the Big Ten but they need to beat Seton Hall (H) or Pitt (A) if not both to have a shot at the post season.

Reactions: MOBFreehold
I believe RU is on the way under Pike, but itt will take another year to reach NIT status, then on to the Dance.

Reactions: koleszar
NIT due to weak OOC schedule and the loss of EO. I'm fine with the weak OOC because we need the wins to continue to show improvement.

Let’s get to 500 for the first time in a long time but NIT especially with that weak out of conference schedule.

I think this team is capable of 14-19 wins. I voted NIT and I think they do it but they need to get more big wins. There are plenty of chances in the Big Ten but they need to beat Seton Hall (H) or Pitt (A) if not both to have a shot at the post season.
14 wins would be a disaster. We should hit that by February.

People saying .500 as a goal this season are setting the bar wayyy too low. That's the most minor of improvements and is expected this season.

The primary goal should be NCAA with NIT still being an accomplishment and a run at that title a secondary goal

People saying .500 as a goal this season are setting the bar wayyy too low. That's the most minor of improvements and is expected this season.

The primary goal should be NCAA with NIT still being an accomplishment and a run at that title a secondary goal
I would go as far as to say that over .500 is required for Pikiell to remain on track, rather than on a downward tilt toward not getting it done.

Reactions: Scangg
I think some people don't realize how difficult it is to get into the NIT. It is a 32 team tournament Tournament and it has automatic qualifiers.

Indiana got in this year with a losing B1G record but Indiana's OOC had Marquette, Duke, Butler, Arkansas & Louisville. They beat Marquette and Louisville and those 2 were NCAAT teams.

I think some people don't realize how difficult it is to get into the NIT. It is a 32 team tournament Tournament and it has automatic qualifiers.

Indiana got in this year with a losing B1G record but Indiana's OOC had Marquette, Duke, Butler, Arkansas & Louisville. They beat Marquette and Louisville and those 2 were NCAAT teams.

This.

Low target should be .500 in the B1G and no more than one loss non conference. That should be more than enough to get us in to the NIT. High target should be undefeated OOC and 12 BIG wins. That should be enough to get us into the tourney.

Reactions: Scarlet83

I will go further and say it’s going to be impossible for R hoops to get into the NIT this coming year.

Cause we are going DANCIN’ ladies and gentlemen! I am talking the NCAAs. Let’s go!

I will go further and say it’s going to be impossible for R hoops to get into the NIT this coming year.

Cause we are going DANCIN’ ladies and gentlemen! I am talking the NCAAs. Let’s go!

After such a long drought, this program needs to go someplace in the post season.

People still think it is ESPN driving the selection process when in reality there are few at large bids to the NIT because of upsets in conference tournaments (regular season conference champs get automatic bid if they fail to win there respective conference tournament). Then of the teams that are chosen it is truly the last teams that missed out on the NCAA. Reality is if we are in the NIT it probably means we are 2-3 good wins away from the true dance so they are almost one in the same at this point of projections.

14 is probably too low but the difference between 14-19 wins could be 5 makes or 5 misses. I would hope .500 is the minimum for next year.

I like this team a lot! I even think if we divided the teams into “two teams or two different lineups “ we would be very effective. For example, Start Baker, Young, Harper, Yeboah and Johnson. Take them all out at some point and replace with Mulcahy, McConnell, Mathis, Kiss and Carter. Guys in either lineup, replace least productive guys with most productive guys for a strong producing group. I like both these lineups with nice depth, including Doucoure.
I say we SHOCK the experts and go to NCAA with high expectations and a few major upsets along the way! And I dare to say, Pike gets coach of the year! And Yes, I’m having a few glasses of wine and I have my rose colored glasses on, so take it easy on the rebuttals..

I like this team a lot!
I say we SHOCK the experts and go to NCAA with high expectations and a few major upsets along the way! And I dare to say, Pike gets coach of the year! And Yes, I’m having a few glasses of wine and I have my rose colored glasses on, so take it easy on the rebuttals..

And the congregation said, “Amen!”

If RU doesnt win AT LEAST 17 the season is a disaster.

Personally I see us at 20-11 (10-10)

I think 10-1 OOC, 10-10 B1G, 20-11 overall is the GOAL. I don’t know if we can say it’s the most likely, but certainly a realistic aspiration.

There are questions that need to be answered in a positive way in order to reach this goal, e.g.,

— how will our interior defense be without Doorson and EO?

— will somebody else(s) step up as a leading scorer and leading rebounder without EO? Such as Jacob Young, Yeboah, Harper?

— will our Fab Four improve enough to put us in position to ascend to the top half of the conference?

— will our 3-pt shooting percentage improve to at least 35-36%

Unlike past years, I think this team has the answers on the roster.

If RU doesnt win AT LEAST 17 the season is a disaster.

Personally I see us at 20-11 (10-10)

Also, I don’t know if 17-14 would be considered a “disaster.” That would likely mean 9-2 OOC, 8-12 B1G.

Sure, that’s only incremental improvement, but I think “disaster” is a bit strong. I would label it more as a “disappointment” since it’s only a one game improvement in the B1G.

Reactions: knight82
We lost EO. That is a huge blow, people are not taking into account how big a loss that is. We have pieces to fill, but comon... I think optimistically we go 10-1 OOC, but realistically we will hit bumps and go 9-2 IMO.

In the B1G I see us at 7-3 or 8-12. So the 20-11 number is pushing it, to go 500 in the B1G is no easy task. Let it play out I think this season is incremental improvement, but next season is the season we should have HUGE expectations, not this one. Geo's senior year and I've been saying it since he got here would be the year we make real, real noise. Stay patient please and don't think 20-11 is end all be all because it is not. Let's get to 500 first can we please overall.. then next season have big expectations.

Thanks

Low target should be .500 in the B1G and no more than one loss non conference. That should be more than enough to get us in to the NIT. High target should be undefeated OOC and 12 BIG wins. That should be enough to get us into the tourney.

10-10 in Big Ten play basically means you are a borderline top 25 team and depending on the strength of the conference that particular season, probably a deserving NCAA tourney team. I have a hard time calling that the low target for this season for Rutgers.

(last season, 10-10, 9-11, and 8-12 conference records all made the NCAA tourney)

I think 10-1 OOC, 10-10 B1G, 20-11 overall is the GOAL. I don’t know if we can say it’s the most likely, but certainly a realistic aspiration.

There are questions that need to be answered in a positive way in order to reach this goal, e.g.,

— how will our interior defense be without Doorson and EO?

— will somebody else(s) step up as a leading scorer and leading rebounder without EO? Such as Jacob Young, Yeboah, Harper?

— will our Fab Four improve enough to put us in position to ascend to the top half of the conference?

— will our 3-pt shooting percentage improve to at least 35-36%

Unlike past years, I think this team has the answers on the roster.
interior defense will be better without EO. I don't know why alot of people think EO was a good interior defender because he really wasnt, he got tossed around like a rag doll down there and he knew it hence why he tried to take charges so much. Yeboah will be an upgrade on both ends of the floor imo. EO is better around the rim on O than yeboah but everything else yeboah is better at

10-10 in Big Ten play basically means you are a borderline top 25 team and depending on the strength of the conference that particular season, probably a deserving NCAA tourney team. I have a hard time calling that the low target for this season for Rutgers.

(last season, 10-10, 9-11, and 8-12 conference records all made the NCAA tourney)
See our OOC schedule. Also the B1G is not supposed to be nearly as strong as last year.

Also need at least 2 bigger road wins to prove we can win away from the RAC to make the team more desirable for NIT

People still think it is ESPN driving the selection process when in reality there are few at large bids to the NIT because of upsets in conference tournaments (regular season conference champs get automatic bid if they fail to win there respective conference tournament). Then of the teams that are chosen it is truly the last teams that missed out on the NCAA. Reality is if we are in the NIT it probably means we are 2-3 good wins away from the true dance so they are almost one in the same at this point of projections.

The reality is that we did this analysis back in March. The past three years there have been 22, 20, and 22 at large bids to the NIT. So there are more than a "few" at large bids.

If a team is in the top 30 on this list of "first teams out," they have a chance at making the NIT as an at large. That was based on an analysis of the 2016, 2017, and 2018 NIT fields. In the top 20, most teams make it, and anything better than that is a near lock for the NIT.

In 2019, since we didn't go through that analysis before, there were 22 NIT at-large bids, and they included Butler (#31), San Diego (#28), and Wichita State (#23). From the Big Ten, Penn State was #29 and did not make it.

http://barttorvik.com/tranketology.php

They update this list after every game I believe, so it will be pretty easy to track how Rutgers is doing with respect to the NIT.

The reality is that we did this analysis back in March. The past three years there have been 22, 20, and 22 at large bids to the NIT. So there are more than a "few" at large bids.

If a team is in the top 30 on this list of "first teams out," they have a chance at making the NIT as an at large. That was based on an analysis of the 2016, 2017, and 2018 NIT fields. In the top 20, most teams make it, and anything better than that is a near lock for the NIT.

In 2019, since we didn't go through that analysis before, there were 22 NIT at-large bids, and they included Butler (#31), San Diego (#28), and Wichita State (#23). From the Big Ten, Penn State was #29 and did not make it.

http://barttorvik.com/tranketology.php

They update this list after every game I believe, so it will be pretty easy to track how Rutgers is doing with respect to the NIT.

That site, by the way, has Rutgers as a 1-seed in the NIT with 19 wins. Thus, Rutgers is probably an NIT lock with 18 wins and may have a good shot to get in with 17 wins, with those win totals excluding the Big Ten Tournament.

Reactions: JavaDunk18
Also, I don’t know if 17-14 would be considered a “disaster.” That would likely mean 9-2 OOC, 8-12 B1G.

Sure, that’s only incremental improvement, but I think “disaster” is a bit strong. I would label it more as a “disappointment” since it’s only a one game improvement in the B1G.

I think 17-14 (excluding BTT) is a fair baseline expectation for next year. The absolute minimum acceptable achievement should be 16-15.

Wow. Unless we win the B1G tournament, we need at least 20 wins for an NIT or NCAA bid, which means we probably need to go at least .500 in the league assuming we only lose 1 or 2 OOC. Right now, 81% of those polled, think we will do that. Lots of high expectations.

Indiana did more than "got in." They were a #1 seed in the NIT.

Well when you haven't had a winning season in 14yrs., it's a pretty big accomplishment.

Because of their strong OOC and the strength of the B1G. We have neither of those going for us this coming year.

But does it matter what seed Rutgers is in the NIT if they get in? Just get in. I don't care if it is the lowest seed. Just get in. It would be significant and measurable progress.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT