NCAA / NIT / Other or None

• NCAA

Votes: 33 20.6%
  • NIT

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other tournament/None

Votes: 34 21.3%

• Total voters
Because of their strong OOC and the strength of the B1G. We have neither of those going for us this coming year.

Indiana almost made it because they

beat Michigan State on the road.

Beat Michigan State at home.

Lost by 3 at 4/5 seed Maryland

Lost by 11 at Top 10/12 ranked Michigan

Lost by 5 at home vs Iowa

Lost by 3 at home to Ohio State

Lost by 2 at Purdue

Won 4 straight games down the stretch before losing by 4 to Ohio State in the 1st round of the B1G tournament.

I know the OOC slate was extremely tough but they had injuries to Morgan and their starting PG Phinisee, which impacted them more than the strength of OOC.

We keep seeing OOC is mattering and it is not a large impact to making the dance....you have to be as competitive as you can at all times.

What matters for RU comes down to being consistent and closing the gap in the 21 to 22 B1G games, Pittsburgh, Seton Hall and St Bonaventure. These are the 25 games that matter more.

RU can have 3 to 4 blowout losses. Those are going to happen. But they cannot be obscene or completely out of hand like a young team had early in the B1G slate.

Here are the games last year.

Maryland home loss 77-63.....that game has to be 77-72 or less, if we lose, where the game is actually a game for 35 to 38 minutes.

88-70 loss at Minnesota....as a comparison later in the season, PSU took Minnesota to the wire on the road, only losing 77-72....that's where RU has to be, so the 10 to 12 B1G or other losses, are right there.

Losing 89-54 @ Purdue ....i know a loss is a loss, but losing 35 can't happen, even to a powerhouse like Purdue at home...

As a comparison, Iowa lost at Purdue by 16, Minnesota lost by 10, Nebraska lost by 19, PSU lost by 12 and Illinois lost by 17. All of these results are a little more respectable.

Lost at home to NW by 8...that has to be flipped to a win by 8.

Lost at Ohio state by 14....has to be.6 to 8 points, not bouncing between 14 and 18 points all game long.

Lost at home to Michigan by 12 (never really in the game), no runs against a tough Michigan team.

Signs of improvement was a loss by only 11 to Final 4 Michigan State. That was the signal, along with Iowa on the road and Illinois, Norrhwestern and Penn State on the road, that progress was being made.

I know we "think", we're competing against another bubble team in the SEC, ACC or Big 12.....but it really comes down to matchups and how we do in league....you can't go 9-11 and 1-1 in the B1G tourney and have 7 of the 11 losses be non-competitive or losses to teams we need to beat.

See our OOC schedule. Also the B1G is not supposed to be nearly as strong as last year.

The Big Ten can significantly worsen and .500 would still be a borderline top 25 team. Most years, .500 gets you in the tourney. I understand the Rutgers OOC would limit them, but I still do not see a borderline top 25 team.

Indiana almost made it because they

beat Michigan State on the road.

Beat Michigan State at home.

Lost by 3 at 4/5 seed Maryland

Lost by 11 at Top 10/12 ranked Michigan

Lost by 5 at home vs Iowa

Lost by 3 at home to Ohio State

Lost by 2 at Purdue

Won 4 straight games down the stretch before losing by 4 to Ohio State in the 1st round of the B1G tournament.

I know the OOC slate was extremely tough but they had injuries to Morgan and their starting PG Phinisee, which impacted them more than the strength of OOC.

We keep seeing OOC is mattering and it is not a large impact to making the dance....you have to be as competitive as you can at all times.

What matters for RU comes down to being consistent and closing the gap in the 21 to 22 B1G games, Pittsburgh, Seton Hall and St Bonaventure. These are the 25 games that matter more.

RU can have 3 to 4 blowout losses. Those are going to happen. But they cannot be obscene or completely out of hand like a young team had early in the B1G slate.

Here are the games last year.

Maryland home loss 77-63.....that game has to be 77-72 or less, if we lose, where the game is actually a game for 35 to 38 minutes.

Eugene fouls out in 18 minutes

88-70 loss at Minnesota....as a comparison later in the season, PSU took Minnesota to the wire on the road, only losing 77-72....that's where RU has to be, so the 10 to 12 B1G or other losses, are right there.

Eugene OUT

Losing 89-54 @ Purdue ....i know a loss is a loss, but losing 35 can't happen, even to a powerhouse like Purdue at home...

Eugene OUT

As a comparison, Iowa lost at Purdue by 16, Minnesota lost by 10, Nebraska lost by 19, PSU lost by 12 and Illinois lost by 17. All of these results are a little more respectable.

Lost at home to NW by 8...that has to be flipped to a win by 8.

Eugene OUT

Lost at Ohio state by 14....has to be.6 to 8 points, not bouncing between 14 and 18 points all game long.

Mathis and Baker 3-18 field

Lost at home to Michigan by 12 (never really in the game), no runs against a tough Michigan team.

Michigan on fire, D ?

Signs of improvement was a loss by only 11 to Final 4 Michigan State. That was the signal, along with Iowa on the road and Illinois, Norrhwestern and Penn State on the road, that progress was being made.

I know we "think", we're competing against another bubble team in the SEC, ACC or Big 12.....but it really comes down to matchups and how we do in league....you can't go 9-11 and 1-1 in the B1G tourney and have 7 of the 11 losses be non-competitive or losses to teams we need to beat.

I guarantee if we are in the first four in Dayton there will be some knuckleheads here complaining that "we're not really in the tournament"

I guarantee if we are in the first four in Dayton there will be some knuckleheads here complaining that "we're not really in the tournament"
All I know if that happens,I'll be ecstatic .
An NIT invite would have me jumping for joy as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT