ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tourney Saturday Night Games Thread

Hurley wanted 7 years..remember we were a shit show

Hurley would have won here but likely gone too after he won...maybe Nova or some other bigger name

Yup. And we were paying 2 coaches not to coach at the time while getting less than full share.

Also, Hurley didn’t have to build a program - UConn had 2 nattys in the 7 years before his hire.

Pike did. Different skills. Hurley is a damn elite coach, but building a program from the ground up isn’t easy nor the same skill.

The fact that Hurley demanded 7 years should give pause to the “you can turn around a basketball team in 1-2 years” people FWIW.

Hurley knew how difficult a job it would be.
Much different environment back then pre NIL and pre liberal transfer rules. The recipe for success is now focused on having NIL support and the coaching ability to meld significant new pieces each year. No more program building based solely on 3-4 years of player development. It can happen much faster. Hurley always seems to be on the edge intensity wise but has done an excellent job at UConn.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
The fact that Hurley demanded 7 years should give pause to the “you can turn around a basketball team in 1-2 years” people FWIW.

Hurley knew how difficult a job it would be.

People have to remember how unattractive this job was with no prior commitment to hoops

I was advocating for Sendek (wtf) as an experience guy but felt Hurley would be good too

Hobbs was high on Lonergen at GW who thankfully didnt get the job since he was involved in scandal shortly after

Masiello was mentioned. Pickings were slim. Pikiell was not a hot candidate for anywhere but a very solid way to ho after Hurley wasnt going to come

I'm watching Cam's sweet passes into Clingan and tearing-up envisioning him getting Cliff 3-4 more dunks a game this year.😒

Much different environment back then pre NIL and pre liberal transfer rules. The recipe for success is now focused on having NIL support and the ability to meld different significant pieces each year. No more program building based solely on 3-4 years of player development. Hurley is
People were making that argument well before NIL and instant transfers.

It’s probably *more* true these days but you still need the brand and resources to attract the transfers.

Whoa wtf bac you would never give pike a pass like that. Lol.

There was literally nothing he could have done...he called timeout i think at 37-23 and then another a minute later. They missed 3s and then hammered in transition

And we arent in the elite 8..who said im given a pass to Brad his team was gutless with no fight for 10 minutes

Reactions: bethlehemfan
There was literally nothing he could have done...he called timeout i think at 37-23 and then another a minute later. They missed 3s and then hammered in transition

And we arent in the elite 8..who said im given a pass to Brad his team was gutless with no fight for 10 minutes
Thank you buddy. Brad sucked!!!

People have to remember how unattractive this job was with no prior commitment to hoops

I was advocating for Sendek (wtf) as an experience guy but felt Hurley would be good too

Hobbs was high on Lonergen at GW who thankfully didnt get the job since he was involved in scandal shortly after

Masiello was mentioned. Pickings were slim. Pikiell was not a hot candidate for anywhere but a very solid way to ho after Hurley wasnt going to come

It’s worked out pretty well so far. If Hurley thought it would take 7 to get us respectable, Pike did it faster. But it is time for Pike to take the next step. I think a roster reboot next season isn’t a bad thing.

IIRC it’s sort of true, but Hurley wanted extremely onerous contract terms that we would never have realistically agreed to.
Hurley was sitting on an elite Rhode Island team returning and we put out an embarrassing offer at the time.

Hobbs unwilling to pay bigger money bc he didn’t yet go to the tourney. It was a foregone conclusion that was a formality. Not making an offer commensurate with that implication was not a real effort to get him.

Wish there wasn’t such denial that this has to get rehashed over and over.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift

Not to mention, Hurley experienced our second rate facilities as an assistant under Bannon.

Hurley was sitting on an elite Rhode Island team returning and we put out an embarrassing offer at the time.

Hobbs unwilling to pay bigger money bc he didn’t yet go to the tourney. It was a foregone conclusion that was a formality. Not making an offer commensurate with that implication was not a real effort to get him.

Wish there wasn’t such denial that this has to get rehashed over and over.
Even if that is true (and I dispute this characterization but whatever), so what?

It’s over and done with for years now. I don’t think we’re going to be able to lure him away from UConn.

Also he did NOT have an “elite” Rhode Island team at this point. Rhode Island did not make the tournament under Hurley until Pike’s first year here and they were 17-15 (9-9) in 2016 which was Eddie’s last season.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Rutgers should spend the summer watching UConn tapes executing the half court offense with precision.Outstanding coaching and talent at every position .Learn the fundamentals and with Bailey and Harper leading the scoring ,Rutgers can have a very successful season.

Yup. And we were paying 2 coaches not to coach at the time while getting less than full share.

Also, Hurley didn’t have to build a program - UConn had 2 nattys in the 7 years before his hire.

Pike did. Different skills. Hurley is a damn elite coach, but building a program from the ground up isn’t easy nor the same skill.
I have serious doubts that Hurley would have been able to deal with all the challenges around Rutgers without melting down.

But you can believe he might not have been the right coach for us, and at the same time recognize that right now he is probably the best coach in colllege basketball.

Also he did NOT have an “elite” Rhode Island team at this point. Rhode Island did not make the tournament under Hurley until Pike’s first year here and they were 17-15 (9-9) in 2016 which was Eddie’s last season.
That’s what im talking about. They were a no doubter that next year. Hobbs didn’t want to pay because he “hasn’t done it yet” everyone in their right mind could see it was coming. You can’t get someone to leave a situation they have all the leverage in to come to Rutgers.

It was a complete miss by Hobbs.

That’s what im talking about. They were a no doubter that next year. Hobbs didn’t want to pay because he “hasn’t done it yet” everyone in their right mind could see it was coming. You can’t get someone to leave a situation they have all the leverage in to come to Rutgers.

It was a complete miss by Hobbs.
The “no doubter” was only 25-10 and 13-5 in the Atlantic 10. They tied for 3rd in the regular season. They likely would not have gotten an at large bid if they hadn’t won the A10 tourney.

It was a solid team for that level but what you’ve written is an extreme exaggeration.

The “no doubter” was only 25-10 and 13-5 in the Atlantic 10. They tied for 3rd in the regular season. They likely would not have gotten an at large bid if they hadn’t won the A10 tourney.

It was a solid team for that level but what you’ve written is an extreme exaggeration.
Too bad you guys couldn’t see the potential

• Haha

Lonergan scandal ends up to have been a fabrication from what I understand.

Doesn’t seem like a response. Why did you call that decent Rhode Island team “elite”?
Because they won they were one of the hottest teams going into that year in an era of elite mid major a10 era.

He was the next stud coach racing a team to the top of conference that was putting out studs. Then he went out continued that ascension and won the conference tournament to boot.

And he had already had great success earlier in his tenure in a stacked A10.

Idk what your smear campaign is really about but Hurley was a no doubter.

Took multiple jobs of awful teams and would take them to 20 wins with a snap of his fingers.

Everyone sees he’s the best coach in CBB now. Would’ve been great if Hobbs saw what I did back then.

Seem to recall the back story at the time was that the Hurley Camp kept counteroffering and upping Hobbs' offers, and the thinking was Danny never really wanted the RU job biding time for shu then.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Hurley is a great coach the way Chip Kelly was a great football coach. He’s certainly done a great job at maximizing his advantage when he has a huge amount of talent. It’s less clear that he’s that good when the players are on more even footing.

Because they won they were one of the hottest teams going into that year in an era of elite mid major a10 era.
Elite mid major come on. They were a good team. Not great. Definitely not elite. This is just a fantasy.
And he had already had great success earlier in his tenure in a stacked A10.
No he hadn’t. He was 30-38 in the A10 at that point and had not made the tournament.
Idk what your smear campaign is really about but Hurley was a no doubter.

Took multiple jobs of awful teams and would take them to 20 wins with a snap of his fingers.

Everyone sees he’s the best coach in CBB now. Would’ve been great if Hobbs saw what I did back then.
None of this is a smear campaign dude. He didn’t do anything impressive really until last season. Hell, you yourself were apparently unimpressed enough with his work at UConn up until January 2023 that you labeled Rutgers the best program in the East. Seems weird since you were always so certain Hurley was the best coach in the whole wide world.

Elite mid major come on. They were a good team. Not great. Definitely not elite. This is just a fantasy.

No he hadn’t. He was 30-38 in the A10 at that point and had not made the tournament.

None of this is a smear campaign dude. He didn’t do anything impressive really until last season. Hell, you yourself were apparently unimpressed enough with his work at UConn up until January 2023 that you labeled Rutgers the best program in the East. Seems weird since you were always so certain Hurley was the best coach in the whole wide world.
Ball don’t lie

Hurley is a great coach the way Chip Kelly was a great football coach. He’s certainly done a great job at maximizing his advantage when he has a huge amount of talent. It’s less clear that he’s that good when the players are on more even footing.
I just explained above how I could see how Hurley was not the right guy for Rutgers.

But questioning as a coach right now is ridiculous. Everyone who has played for him the last couple of of years was recruited by him, and they are literally dismantling the best teams in college basketball. Without question, he is elite.

I just explained above how I could see how Hurley was not the right guy for Rutgers.

But questioning as a coach right now is ridiculous. Everyone who has played for him the last couple of of years was recruited by him, and they are literally dismantling the best teams in college basketball. Without question, he is elite.
Recruiting, coaching with a talent advantage, and coaching without a talent advantage are three different skills.

To be clear Chip Kelly WAS a great coach at Oregon. But it doesn’t necessarily translate everywhere.

That’s.. also not a response. You’re flailing here.
Guy took over a 7 win team and you wanna talk about his conference record rather than the fact he tied 2 in conf 3 years later. You’re smearing Hurley and that’s your right.

He took every team he’s ever had from the basement to like .700 win pct and did it at Rhode Island before we hired pike.

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT