ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling New 2020 Wrestling Commit

He was undersized at 152. He was a 145 but had to go 152 because of Cabanillas.

Very nice pick up with O’neill!! I was a little disappointed when I saw Ryan Anderson committed to Iowa State. Did we back off him?

For the most part,do high school wrestler verbal commitments mean more than football? It seems like in football these days,nothing really matters until the signature is on the NLI.

For the most part,do high school wrestler verbal commitments mean more than football? It seems like in football these days,nothing really matters until the signature is on the NLI.

In any sport, no commitment means anything until the NLI is signed. Football, is more volatile in this regard, and of course, more popular in the media. However, it happens plenty in wrestling as well. Mostly due to coaching changes or academic issues.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Sounds as if academics and effort are important at Rutgers. The coaching turnover and culture at Iowa State would be a concern. Wish Anderson picked a school with a better environment.

Sounds as if academics and effort are important at Rutgers. The coaching turnover and culture at Iowa State would be a concern. Wish Anderson picked a school with a better environment.

Anderson chose ISU due to the fact the staff could not asure his enrollment at Rutgers. ISU was able to give him a more confident opinion on enrollment.

Ultimately a kid can only chose a school that he is more likely to get accepted to. Even after verbal commitments, it’s not assured (ie - Brick Memorial’s Gianni Ghione being committed to Princeton, then having to go to UPenn, after not being accepted to Princeton. Not a bad second option).

Anderson chose ISU due to the fact the staff could not asure his enrollment at Rutgers. ISU was able to give him a more confident opinion on enrollment.

Ultimately a kid can only chose a school that he is more likely to get accepted to. Even after verbal commitments, it’s not assured (ie - Brick Memorial’s Gianni Ghione being committed to Princeton, then having to go to UPenn, after not being accepted to Princeton. Not a bad second option).
I thought we accepted the NCAA minimum requirements for athletes. I know we do in football. Is wrestling held to a different set of standards? If so, that needs to change and change fast.

I thought we accepted the NCAA minimum requirements for athletes. I know we do in football. Is wrestling held to a different set of standards? If so, that needs to change and change fast.

No, standards are the same for football and wrestling

No, standards are the same for football and wrestling
Thanks for answering. If that's the case, then how the hell is he getting into Iowa St.? Sounds to me this kid was just fed a line of BS by their coaching staff and Mr. Anderson might just end up prepping for a year.

Reactions: Caliknight
Supposedly it was academic related.
Unless hes not going to qualify this is untrue. Are you saying that he may not end up at ISU either? I have no personal knowledge of Anderson's academic status. I do have personal knowledge of RU academic standards for recruited wrestlers.

Reactions: obrats
Wrestling is not held to a different standard. Either the post by Jim is BS or Anderson is not ending up at ISU either.

So what you are saying is that the kid chose ISU because he wants tui go there even if he is not eligible to wrestle? Because anything else doesn't square with your statement.

Reactions: obrats
Wrestling is not held to a different standard. Either the post by Jim is BS or Anderson is not ending up at ISU either.
Yea, kind of got the 1st answer already? Two posts above yours. Also I knew the answer, was just perplexed by the academic statement as reason, so doubled checked.

Thanks for answering. If that's the case, then how the hell is he getting into Iowa St.? Sounds to me this kid was just fed a line of BS by their coaching staff and Mr. Anderson might just end up prepping for a year.
And this was another post of mine which laid out that exact scenario in the second part of your post, which you just reiterated for me. Also wasn't just Jim who said it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim_from_RU
So what you are saying is that the kid chose ISU because he wants tui go there even if he is not eligible to wrestle? Because anything else doesn't square with your statement.

What I am saying is what I have been told by sources. It was not a matter of eligibility, but acceptance.

ISU staff felt more confident in being able to get him into school than the Rutgers staff did. From what I’ve been told, Rutgers was his number one, but it wasn’t an appropriate fit academically.

No one is guaranteed enrollment. Based on his grades and test scores, ISU feels they are able to get him in; Rutgers felt it would be difficult.

What I am saying is what I have been told by sources. It was not a matter of eligibility, but acceptance.

ISU staff felt more confident in being able to get him into school than the Rutgers staff did. From what I’ve been told, Rutgers was his number one, but it wasn’t an appropriate fit academically.

No one is guaranteed enrollment. Based on his grades and test scores, ISU feels they are able to get him in; Rutgers felt it would be difficult.
Still don't really understand what you are saying unless it is that he is not tracking to be eligible and ISU is more bullish on his improving than RU is.

I know acceptance and eligibility are different but I have been involved in the recruitment of an RU wrestler and unless something has changed in the last 22 months the somewhat exact quote (Im getting old) was "as long as he meets clearinghouse, we will get him in." And I've got to think that they might guy might have gone a little harder after Ryan Anderson than they did after my guy. Unless there is something more to the story.

Something doesn't add up. Maybe my 1st paragraph in this post is correct and I'm just being a little slow on the uptake.

Still don't really understand what you are saying unless it is that he is not tracking to be eligible and ISU is more bullish on his improving than RU is.

I know acceptance and eligibility are different but I have been involved in the recruitment of an RU wrestler and unless something has changed in the last 22 months the somewhat quote (Im getting old) was "as long as he meets clearinghouse, we will get him in." And I've got to think that they might guy might have gone a little harder after Ryan Anderson than they did after my guy. Unless there is something more to the story.
Something doesn't add up.

From what I was told, and understand, it’s not as simple as meeting NCAA clearinghouse requirements. Every school has its own qualification requirements in order to be eligible for an academic waiver from the school. From the sounds of it, ISU’s qualification requirements are slightly lower than RU’s.

Is it possible there’s more to it? Of course there could be. I can only report what I am told.

@dicemen99 I have received a little more clarification for you.

Up until recently, the school allowed anyone who passed NCAA Clearinghouse requirements enrollment via an academic waiver. At the time I went through the recruiting process (2012), the minimum NCAA clearinghouse requirements were a 2.5 GPA and 1000 SAT score. I believe the GPA requirement is the same, however the SAT score is different from when I was going through it. The SAT was scored out of 2400, and is now back to the original 1600.

Upon passing clearinghouse requirements, every school has their own minimum standards that may be above, or equal to, the NCAA Clearinghouse requirements. In Rutgers case, the minimum is an X amount of A’s and B’s on the high school transcript. So one can be NCAA eligible, but based on the school now “cracking down” on its academic standards, as a source told me, still may not be eligible for enrollment.

Your experience 22 months ago with your athlete was correct, however, in very recent time, Rutgers has changed their standards.

I apologize on the vague wording regarding this topic. It is a very touchy subject when speaking about a 16, 17, 18 year olds academics. We’re not in the business of bashing athletes, especially those who are not yet at the collegiate level. We just try to report the info as correctly and delicately as possible, while respecting all parties involved in the story. I hope this gives better clarification

I know acceptance and eligibility are different but I have been involved in the recruitment of an RU wrestler and unless something has changed in the last 22 months the somewhat exact quote (Im getting old) was "as long as he meets clearinghouse, we will get him in." And I've got to think that they might guy might have gone a little harder after Ryan Anderson than they did after my guy. Unless there is something more to the story.

Diceman99 - It seems that RU standards may have changed. I heard that in earlier years Rutgers was more flexible with admission. Maybe now they require more than clearinghouse standards. Did the wrestler you helped go to Rutgers and succeed academically? It seems some kids left the team (maybe for academic reasons) and the school has become more rigid. I don't know. Just a guess.

Thread got me thinking of Tyree Sutton. Is he still on our radar? Thanks. $$$$

Up until recently, the school allowed anyone who passed NCAA Clearinghouse requirements enrollment via an academic waiver. At the time I went through the recruiting process (2012), the minimum NCAA clearinghouse requirements were a 2.5 GPA and 1000 SAT score. I believe the GPA requirement is the same, however the SAT score is different from when I was going through it. The SAT was scored out of 2400, and is now back to the original 1600.

Upon passing clearinghouse requirements, every school has their own minimum standards that may be above, or equal to, the NCAA Clearinghouse requirements. In Rutgers case, the minimum is an X amount of A’s and B’s on the high school transcript. So one can be NCAA eligible, but based on the school now “cracking down” on its academic standards, as a source told me, still may not be eligible for enrollment.

Your experience 22 months ago with your athlete was correct, however, in very recent time, Rutgers has changed their standards.

I apologize on the vague wording regarding this topic. It is a very touchy subject when speaking about a 16, 17, 18 year olds academics. We’re not in the business of bashing athletes, especially those who are not yet at the collegiate level. We just try to report the info as correctly and delicately as possible, while respecting all parties involved in the story. I hope this gives better clarification
Great so now we're voluntarily going to handicap ourselves. Splendid news. You guys can talk about academics and how this is a good thing, but I buy season tickets to watch wrestling, not an English class. Man, I hate this friggin school sometimes and these boneheaded self-inflicted wounds they cause themselves.

Last edited:
Great so now we're voluntarily going to handicap ourselves. Splendid news. You guys can talk about academics and how this is a good thing, but I buy season tickets to watch wrestling, not an English class. Man, I hate this friggin school sometimes and these boneheaded self-inflicted wounds they cause themselves.

Haha. Great post. Reminds me of the scene from the Program when the coach says to the board “80,000” people aren’t packing the stands to watch a science experiment (I’m paraphrasing)

Is there any school in the Big Ten that will accept an athlete that only meets the NCAA clearinghouse? If not, then having a little higher requirement makes sense. If there is, then we really are handicapping ourselves.

Thread got me thinking of Tyree Sutton. Is he still on our radar? Thanks. $$$$

Great question. Heard a lot of talk about Tyree, but not much in recent time. I should be able to get an answer on this soon.

Tyree is a freak of an athlete. I haven’t seen much film on him at ICC. His wrestling ability was good, but made up for a lot of technical errors by being so athletically superior. Wouldn’t be a bad guy to have in the room, or as a roll player at 197 or heavy.

Reactions: dollarbill
Is there any school in the Big Ten that will accept an athlete that only meets the NCAA clearinghouse? If not, then having a little higher requirement makes sense. If there is, then we really are handicapping ourselves.

I unfortunately do not have an answer to that. Every school is different, and my guess would be that there are still schools only requiring minimum NCAA Clearinghouse requirements.

This is a definitely a legitimate argument, and could be a real concern for future recruiting. Rutgers, even at my time there, really tries to hold their athletes to a high academic standard. Team GPA is a conversation every week, of every year. Have they gone too far with it to the point that it will hinder future recruiting? Time will tell.

At the same time, it can also be a way to eliminate those who would have a higher chance of not lasting academically. Would cut out wasted years on recruits and scholarship money that do not pay dividends for all 4-5 years.

Thanks for the reply. Makes more sense now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT