ADVERTISEMENT

Football New Gameday Experiences

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
PISCATAWAY, N.J. (Aug 21, 2018) – Rutgers Athletics is committed to making the fan experience as safe and enjoyable as possible each season. With the assistance of fan feedback, Rutgers Athletics has made several enhancements to the game day experience in 2018. These improvements will positively impact fans from the time they purchase a ticket, through game day and until their departure from High Point Solutions Stadium.

"The passion our fans bring to Highpoint Solutions Stadium on a weekly basis makes Rutgers games truly special events to attend,” said Rick Thorpe, Sr. Associate Athletic Director - External Affairs and Strategic Communications. “We work to match that passion and continuously evolve and improve the game day experience for them. In response to fan feedback, we are excited to announce a number of new partnerships, technologies and initiatives that will only enhance game day for our most passionate supporters."

Prior to Arrival
A More Mobile-Friendly Ticket Experience –
This year, fans will have the option to select mobile delivery for Rutgers football tickets, allowing them to print their tickets at home prior to arrival.

Fans can also add mobile game tickets to their Apple Wallet or Watch. Fans will receive a push notification when close to the stadium asking if they would like to have their ticket on their mobile device. Fans can then have their tickets scanned from their Apple Wallet or Watch.

Free Ticket Transfer Fees for Season Ticket Holders – For season ticket holders, all ticket transfer fees have been waived for the 2018 campaign, allowing fans to transfer tickets to friends and family at no cost.

New Partnership with StubHub – Rutgers Athletics has partnered with StubHub, the world's largest event marketplace, to be the “Official Fan-to-Fan Ticket Marketplace” of the Scarlet Knights. Via the integration, season- and single-game ticket holders can post tickets from their online accounts to StubHub with ease. StubHub also provides 24/7 customer service and its Fan Protect™ guarantee, which backs every order so you can buy and sell tickets with 100% confidence. With industry-leading interactive seat maps, pricing assistance data, and nearly five million registered users, Scarlet Knight fans who want to buy or sell tickets have every tool they need at their fingertips.

Scarlet Memories – Rutgers launched Scarlet Memories for the 2018 football season, a mobile-based program that allows fans to customize their game day experience via the Rutgers Gameday App. All fans can participate in these exclusive offers, which include game day stadium tours, fourth quarter sideline passes, behind-the-scenes access, mascot seat visits and more. The program is available for all seven homes games and Scarlet Memories are available for purchase with a valid debit/credit card. All season ticket holders received free credits in their account based on priority points.

Partnership with ReplyBuy – Rutgers Athletics announced a relationship with ReplyBuy, a service that allows fans to purchase tickets quickly and easily via text message. The new service offers Scarlet Knight fans the chance to receive exclusive last-minute ticket offers to football games, and will also be offered for men’s basketball, women’s basketball, men’s lacrosse and wrestling events. More information on the service can be found here.

Infant & Toddler Tickets
Rutgers Athletics requires all patrons, regardless of age to have a ticket for all football, men’s basketball, women’s basketball, wrestling and men’s lacrosse games. The Athletic Department will allow one lap child without charge when attending an event with a ticketed adult. To obtain a complimentary lap ticket, a parent or guardian can request the ticket at the stadium’s North Gate Ticket Office on football and men’s lacrosse game days or the RAC Ticket Office for the winter sports calendar.

The Athletic Department defines a lap child as any child less than two years of age. This child must be seated on the lap of the accompanying adult. If you would like to have your infant/toddler to have their own seat, you must buy a ticket to the event. Car seats, baby carriers, and strollers are not allowed in any Rutgers Athletics event.

Pre-Game & In-Game Enhancements
Game Day Promotional Activities –
Rutgers Athletics is excited to offer a number of pregame and in-game promotional activities, including:
  • A Variety of New Jersey food trucks and vendors along Scarlet Knight Way.
  • Enhanced coverage of in-game updates via the @RUAthletics Twitter account.
  • Rutgers Athletics’ Gameday App, the go-to spot for team information, schedules, stats and exclusive game day offers.
  • Honorary Captains who will partake in the coin toss, including former Scarlet Knights Eric LeGrand, Kevin Malast, Khaseem Greene and Kathryn Tappen from NBC Sports!
  • Upgrades to the Rutgers band, including new pre-game and halftime shows. The band, which has increased in size, will add a new segment highlighting Rutgers History and “The Birthplace of College Football” and feature the RU Rock Band from under the scoreboard for the Texas State and Penn State games.

Game-by-Game Themes
  • Sept. 1 vs. Texas State – “War Before the Shore”
  • Sept. 29 vs. Indiana – Pre-Game RU Brewfest: Rutgers will host RU Brewfest in the Block R Party prior to the Indiana matchup as fans can purchase access to a beer festival as well as a ticket to the game for $50. Capacity for the beer festival is limited and fans are encouraged to purchase their tickets early. A limited quantity will be reserved for season ticket holders to purchase.
  • Oct. 6 vs. Illinois – Blackout Game & Parent-Family Weekend
  • Oct. 20 vs. Northwestern – Homecoming
  • Nov. 10 vs. Michigan – Military Appreciation Day
  • Nov. 17 vs. Penn State – Senior Day
Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield Fan Corner – The Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield New Jersey FAN CORNER will now be located in southeast concourse of the stadium and will host fan-engagement activities, focused on health and wellness, throughout each Rutgers football home game.

Dyehard, Our New In-Game Retailer – Rutgers Athletics selected Dyehard Fan Supply, an event and retail merchandise marketing and e-commerce company, as the official merchandising partner for the Scarlet Knights. In addition to carrying adidas merchandise, Dyehard Fan Supply will provide an array of products from other licensees and novelty items. Fans will have a wide range of styles, sizes and selections to choose from for men, women and youth. There will also be an increase in offerings of specialty, event-themed merchandise, as well as high-end merchandise for purchase in the Audi Club, including Vineyard Vines, Columbia and Top of the World.

New Concession Items – Rutgers Athletics is excited to announce a host of new concession items for the 2018 season. New items include:
  • Raw Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Sundae Bar
  • "Hot" Apple Fritter with Vanilla Ice Cream-Apple fritter topped with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream and drizzled with Chocolate sauce and sprinkles
  • Guido's Italian Meatball Hero roll stuffed with 3 Italian Meatballs
  • Three Dog Knight-3 Mini hot dogs topped with choice of sauerkraut, Sweet onion sauce or chili
  • Walkin Taco's-Tostito Tortilla Chips topped with Chili, Cheese Sauce, Sour Cream and Scallions served in a Tortilla bag
  • Boneless Buffalo or General Tso's Chicken Nuggets
  • Bottomless popcorn Bucket
Fans will also have access to a “Horizon Healthy Huddle” stand that features such items as BBQ chicken and Portobello mushroom sandwiches, turkey burgers and fresh fruit.

New 2018 Intro Video – Rutgers football will debut a historical intro video in 2018. The video will tell the story of the Rutgers football program and will air on the videoboard prior to kickoff.

50/50 Raffle: The 50/50 raffle will be available during all seven home games this year. Sellers will begin walking through the parking lots approximately three hours prior to kickoff. There will also be four kiosks inside the stadium for fans to purchase 50/50 tickets, located behind sections 101, 116, 127, and 131. Sales will conclude at the end of the third quarter. The winning number will be announced during the fourth quarter.

Due to new state legislation, the winner is not required to be present to claim their prize and Rutgers Athletics will not pay the winner on the day of that game. The winner can report to a kiosk before the end of the game or email5050@scarletknights.com within 30 days of the game. During the game, the current jackpot total will be available online at5050.scarletknights.com/jackpot. The winning number for each 50/50 drawing will also be available on Scarletknights.com.

Complimentary Flip Cards & Rosters – Fans can now access rosters and flip cards for all seven football games on their mobile devices via the Rutgers Gameday App.

Customer Service Initiatives & Information
New Customer Service Booths –
Rutgers Athletics will provide customer service booths, located inside the main concourse outside of sections 116/117 (North Endzone) and section 131 (South Endzone), to further assist fans with their game day questions and requests.

Lost Child Wristbands – Rutgers Athletics will provide wristbands, free of charge, for fans to have their children wear, providing contact information in case a child gets separated from their parents/guardians during game day. Fans will be able to pick up wristbands from either of the two customer service kiosks inside the stadium. Wristbands will also be available outside of the North gate prior to kickoff.

New Lyft Drop-Off/Pick-Up Locations – Lyft Pick-up and drop-off locations for ride share services will now be located on the far-end side of the Yellow Lot on Scarlet Knight Way. Lyft is the official rideshare partner of Rutgers Athletics, allowing Scarlet Knight fans to earn discounts on rides when using Lyft.

Reactions: brgRC90
I like the bottomless popcorn idea.

Would like to see that done for soft drinks too like they do at Great Adventure. Buy the cup and it's good for the season.

Oh happy day!

• Upgrades to the Rutgers band, including new pre-game and halftime shows. The band, which has increased in size, will add a new segment highlighting RutgersHistory and “The Birthplace of CollegeFootball” and feature the RU Rock Bandfrom under the scoreboard for the TexasState and Penn State games.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Sooooo...the horse intro video has been bagged again?
Stop beating a dead horse.
This is the intro to the intro video . . .
giphy.gif

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
"Walkin' Tacos" sounds like an interesting play on the Frito Pie. If they actually use fresh ingredients and not dog food, it will probably be a hit.

New state legislation not requiring the 50-50 winner to be present will mean a lot more empty seats earlier during the blowouts.

And we'll have to wait and see what this new historical intro video means...It's Rutgers so hope for the best but expect the worst.

Ash's first year administration heard loud and clear that the horse video was a must, which is why it was returned last year. I am sure it is back again this year.
Yeah.

I’m guessing this new video is before the horse one.

"and feature the RU Rock Band from under the scoreboard for the Texas State and Penn State games."

@RU4Real is going to be happy his suggestion to athletics is being implemented.

Reactions: rurichdog
"and feature the RU Rock Band from under the scoreboard for the Texas State and Penn State games."

@RU4Real is going to be happy his suggestion to athletics is being implemented.
He wasn’t the only one.

And as of right now, I like that it’s not for every game.

He wasn’t the only one.

And as of right now, I like that it’s not for every game.

I hope it expands to every game. I thought it was great at the football game and at the wrestling match and MBB game. We have a damn music school...lets showcase them!

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Lost Child Wristbands – Rutgers Athletics will provide wristbands, free of charge, for fans to have their children wear, providing contact information in case a child gets separated from their parents/guardians during game day. Fans will be able to pick up wristbands from either of the two customer service kiosks inside the stadium. Wristbands will also be available outside of the North gate prior to kickoff.

Are these only for kids? You go missing a lot from these things.

Not needing to be present for the 50/50 means no one is sticking around through the 3rd quarter if there is a blow out.

And what happens to the 50/50 money if no one tries to collect in the 30 days?

Reactions: rurichdog
Not needing to be present for the 50/50 means no one is sticking around through the 3rd quarter if there is a blow out.

And what happens to the 50/50 money if no one tries to collect in the 30 days?
I get it. Will take Mr. Screw on a golf trip... and lessons :cool2:

Reactions: MrsScrew
Could have skipped all that and made everyone happy by just saying.

New Game Day Experience:
You can now bring into the stadium unopened nonalcoholic beverages and food.

What you think this is Yankee Stadium or Citi Field or something?

Reactions: koleszar
https://scarletknights.com/news/2018/8/21/rutgers-adds-enhancements-to-football-game-day.aspx

shame the university does its usual lame a$$ job of getting the word out and leaves it for folks to come across.

could actually make a difference in folks buying some tix and coming to the games! several of the things folks have been asking for (no, not the bottle tops sorry)

what else would you like them to do? :flushed:

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
emails were sent out
they put out multiple tweets
they announced it on Facebook
they announced it on Scarletknights.com ( https://scarletknights.com/news/2017/8/21/football-gameday-gets-new-look.aspx )
it was posted in the fan Rutgers Facebook page and the fan Rutgers Tailgate page
Richie put a specific thread about it here and on the RT ( https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/new-gameday-experiences.149216/#post-3412557 )
@Leonard23 started a thread about it ( https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...day-app-concessions-sound-system-more.127345/ )

what else would you like them to do? :flushed:

didn't get any email
I don't "tweet"
I don't actively Facebook.
I completely missed Richie's posting. It wasn't pinned and I was driving back from Virginia all Tuesday.

I guess in this age of paperless news, they had it covered but not for any casual fans who may be motivated by this news. Those folks aren't getting the emails, tweets, facebook, or forum postings.

So I get it...no more full page ads in the papers or billboards. Not sure how you grab the attention of the general population. But even a die hard can miss the news as above. Could have put it the season tix package (yeah, not the causal fan) since I now know how not to gamble.

Edit: not lame a$$...

@1984 I'll give you the "it could have been in the season ticket packet" but I'm sure that went to press/packing long before the final plans were made about the changes.

otherwise, you are right...we are in a digital age..no more newspaper ads

@1984 I'll give you the "it could have been in the season ticket packet" but I'm sure that went to press/packing long before the final plans were made about the changes.

otherwise, you are right...we are in a digital age..no more newspaper ads

I guess I also just think this is a shame in that RU DID some GREAT stuff here and needs to make sure as many people as possible know. We (me included) like to bitch about things but I also believe in giving credit where credit is due. Is it flagged on the SN Football ticket site? Are the reps at the ticket office mentioning this to fans who call in? Including this news in a flyer for all new tickets mailed out? How about a robo call like they do for other solicitations/fan support. Ash making a (general) comment about it at a presser? Get the news out to our buddies at NJ.com ..Honestly, that is the PR effort I believe it is worth.

(getting off the soap box now :) )

Rich, Some nice things going on for the GD experience.
Question: Why do they continue to not address a need to get the old fan base up to the West Gate if not in the Scarlet or Green lots ? It's a long walk from the drop-off point by the grove to seats in section 102 & 103.
This suggestion was brought forward 3 years ago when they were switching the Knightengale service company, but nothing was ever done.
I've personally seen carts go past the gates at the drop-off point with fans attending the game.

didn't get any email
I don't "tweet"
I don't actively Facebook.
I completely missed Richie's posting. It wasn't pinned and I was driving back from Virginia all Tuesday.

I guess in this age of paperless news, they had it covered but not for any casual fans who may be motivated by this news. Those folks aren't getting the emails, tweets, facebook, or forum postings.

So I get it...no more full page ads in the papers or billboards. Not sure how you grab the attention of the general population. But even a die hard can miss the news as above. Could have put it the season tix package (yeah, not the causal fan) since I now know how not to gamble.

Edit: not lame a$$...

Same here.
I didn’t get any emails from RU on this. 20 year season ticket holder and my email is current. No spam either.
You are right a Billboard on the Tpke and Ads in local newspapers (cheap cost) would drive interest and $ales.

Not a fan of the infant/toddler ticket policy. I had a good thing going for a few years. I’m not buying tickets for them to watch us get blown out each game so I guess I’m not buying tickets for my wife and I either.

Not a fan of the infant/toddler ticket policy. I had a good thing going for a few years. I’m not buying tickets for them to watch us get blown out each game so I guess I’m not buying tickets for my wife and I either.

The toddler tickets are free.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT