ADVERTISEMENT

New Jersey "brain drain" persists

mkollar

I agree it's getting better and I did get an email from "Friends of RU" announcing the ranking and saw it on facebook for RU athletics and the RUAA but I'm not sure high school students see it. Perhaps sending a poster to the guidance counselor's office or something like that would help.

The "penalty" was my understanding of the implication of RU taking an OOS student. I believe the state charges RU for each non-NJ student that comes in making the OOS tuition less lucrative for RU and keeping us around 10-15% OOS. Perhaps my understanding is incorrect, but I always thought there was a legal bar to adding more OOS students.

Originally posted by NotInRHouse:
mkollar

I agree it's getting better and I did get an email from "Friends of RU" announcing the ranking and saw it on facebook for RU athletics and the RUAA but I'm not sure high school students see it. Perhaps sending a poster to the guidance counselor's office or something like that would help.

The "penalty" was my understanding of the implication of RU taking an OOS student. I believe the state charges RU for each non-NJ student that comes in making the OOS tuition less lucrative for RU and keeping us around 10-15% OOS. Perhaps my understanding is incorrect, but I always thought there was a legal bar to adding more OOS students.
I *thought* I heard that the penalty has been abolished. RU's own rules used to prohibit it from taking more than about 10% OOS undergrads, but I do not know if that is still in effect.

On the penalty, someone would have to delve into past issue of the Star-Ledger, and that might not work; the S-L might not have reported on this, although I think it did. Finding out about the cap would require the thankless job of researching Rutgers' regulations.

p.s. my quick attempt to find out about the cap got nowhere. I can't find anything about admissions in the University Policy library.

This post was edited on 7/29 9:28 PM by camdenlawprof

A real non issue. Going "away" to college has been a tradition in NJ for many decades. Certainly in my era. You have a high income state with many great high schools in a small state with few classic college towns. People who can afford it want a great college experience with all the bells and whistles. Often that can be found in either some of the great OOS privates or at some of the better publics--UVa, Michigan, Wisconsin, UNC, Berkeley etc etc. Places such as those cannot be re-created today--even with piles of cash. But most will return to the area after college. I'd guess over 80%. So not that much to worry about.

Originally posted by badger74:
A real non issue. Going "away" to college has been a tradition in NJ for many decades. Certainly in my era. You have a high income state with many great high schools in a small state with few classic college towns. People who can afford it want a great college experience with all the bells and whistles. Often that can be found in either some of the great OOS privates or at some of the better publics--UVa, Michigan, Wisconsin, UNC, Berkeley etc etc. Places such as those cannot be re-created today--even with piles of cash. But most will return to the area after college. I'd guess over 80%. So not that much to worry about.
IMHO, you are missing what this all about. We all know there are more high school graduates in New Jersey who want to go to college than there are freshman seats for them. The point is that we at Rutgers want as many of the brightest as possible to come to Rutgers. We are not concerned about whether students not good enough for Rutgers are leaving the state (as opposed to going to say, Montclair State), we are concerned about keeping the best students, if at all possible. Any increase in the number of bright students staying to go to Rutgers would improve our student body, and hence improve the institution.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT