ADVERTISEMENT

Podcast New Portal Big Man Target + Scrimmage No. 2 Recap

If Dylan has the ball, what is the role for Acuff, JWill, Kerkack off ball and how do their skillsets complement Harper having the ball?

Couldn't (shouldn't?) Jones be offered a starting spot next to Harper?

Move JWill/Acuff/Derkack into the 6th man/3 guard lineup starter spot?

Wouldn't having a shooter like Jordan next to Ace/Dylan be a better option than another guard who is driving into the lane and further clogging up space?

Last edited:
If Dylan has the ball, what is the role for Acuff, JWill, Kerkack off ball and how do their skillsets complement Harper having the ball?

Move JWill/Acuff/Kerkack into the 6th man/3 guard lineup starter spot?

Wouldn't having a shooter like Jordan next to Ace/Dylan be a better option than another guard who is driving into the lane and further clogging up space?
JWill, I think, is a plus defender. However if he doesn't have the ball in his hands I don't think he is a positive on the offensive end because he can't shoot.

If Harper is the primary PG I realize there is probably 12 minutes he will be on the bench and jWill is the guy.

I know/realize/understand that there is no every possession point guard for a Pikiell team, but when the game slows down and becomes a half court game there usually is a 1 who on most possessions is looking over at the bench is the one who initiates offense. That guy at time is hounded by the opposition. I have to think we are at our best when that guy is Jwill

In transition Harper is the guy I want the ball in the hands of. Will there be enough opportunities. Will we rebound enough on the defensive glass. Will we push the tempo when games are close against the meat of the schedule.

Felix Okpara announced that he was staying at Ohio State. We'll see if that sticks. These guys seem pretty well convinced he's more likely to end up at Tennessee than OSU.

I saw the big man from Drexel committed to Kentucky. I wonder how much they paid him. I was hoping RU could get him.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU677381
Felix Okpara announced that he was staying at Ohio State. We'll see if that sticks. These guys seem pretty well convinced he's more likely to end up at Tennessee than OSU.

I saw the big man from Drexel committed to Kentucky. I wonder how much they paid him. I was hoping RU could get him.
because of the shorter supply and always sky high demand for bigs any big man who is half decent is going to command more NIL than we probably have available... were going to probably be scraping for a guy who will split time with sommerville and ogbole for better or worse

Did you get this from Triily's Twitter? If you did I think you misread his post from yesterday morning as he was saying you never know if a player is staying until portal closes as Okpara previously announced he was staying.

Ohio State athletics confirmed to NBC4 that Buckeyes center Felix Okpara has entered the transfer portal after two seasons in Columbus. Okpara, a 6'11” center from Nigeria, had stated on April 1 his intention to stay with OSU for his junior season. Now, he is the fourth Buckeye to announce his intention to transfer

GLsglgfWQAAbIm_

Reactions: LeapinLou
Great podcast. The X factor that can continue to help us is that talented players want to play with other talented players. Dylan having that performance last night only helps. If players are insecure about their place relative to what we have, then they are not the right fit.

Move JWill/Acuff/Kerkack into the 6th man/3 guard lineup starter spot?

I think Derkack is more of a scorer than a shooter. Not even 28% from 3 last year and I believe about 23% the year before..and that’s vs. NEC defenses.

I think Derkack is more of a scorer than a shooter. Not even 28% from 3 last year and I believe about 23% the year before..and that’s vs. NEC defenses.
If he can finish through contact at the rim and get some and ones, I’ll take it. Agree that no one is expecting him to come in and be a sharpshooter from deep. Not saying he can’t hit some key ones when other teams sleep on him.

Great podcast. The X factor that can continue to help us is that talented players want to play with other talented players. Dylan having that performance last night only helps. If players are insecure about their place relative to what we have, then they are not the right fit.
I don’t think that true for players with high major talent. They want high usage/high scoring opportunities. The 4 and 5 star players leaving blue bloods are doing that because they want higher ppg

If he can finish through contact at the rim and get some and ones, I’ll take it. Agree that no one is expecting him to come in and be a sharpshooter from deep. Not saying he can’t hit some key ones when other teams sleep on him.

My personal opinion (which is likely wrong) is that “scoring through contact at the rim” isn’t easily translated when moving up a level. Now you are being contacted by bigger and stronger and faster players than before.

Something like 3pt shooting is easier to translate. An open 3pt shot is an open 3pt shot.
Obviously situation dictates someone may get more or less open shots. And previously open shots are not open when moving up (defenders are better, close out quicker).
But if you get a shot then it’s the same distance as before.

My personal opinion (which is likely wrong) is that “scoring through contact at the rim” isn’t easily translated when moving up a level. Now you are being contacted by bigger and stronger and faster players than before.

Something like 3pt shooting is easier to translate. An open 3pt shot is an open 3pt shot.
Obviously situation dictates someone may get more or less open shots. And previously open shots are not open when moving up (defenders are better, close out quicker).
But if you get a shot then it’s the same distance as before.
No one is saying it’s easily translated but the role is different and the defense’s attention is focused elsewhere. He isn’t expected to be the man and will fill a complementary role. Otherwise, why are we trying to do the portal thing at all?

Yes, obviously we want shooters. Pike has been VERY clear about that. And so does everyone else.

Also, guards driving the lane is a very good thing for our offense. They DO NOT not clog the lane, instead, they put a ton of pressure on the defense. And force defenders to move, react, double, help and foul, all things that defenses don’t want to do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT