ADVERTISEMENT

New restaurants in New Brunswick target Rutgers students

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
"Back in the day, the Rutgers restaurant scene was known for its ‘grease trucks’ and ‘Fat Cats,’ a student staple which combined burgers and fries in a sandwich and offered the added bonus of being delivered.
“When I was a student here, you pretty much only had your choice of run-of-the-mill pizza, more pizza, and deli,” said Bruce Jones, who graduated from Rutgers in 2010 and now owns Mexican fusion eatery Papa Grande Grille on Easton Avenue. “But the restaurant scene on Easton has totally changed,” he said. “I would have loved to have had the options we have now."

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/life/2015/09/29/restaurants-rutgers-new-brunswick/72555686/

I'll be sure to skip Papa Grande Grille if I'm in the area. What a stupid, transparent mischaracterization - RU has always had plenty of fast food options, and a Mexican-burger place isn't exactly breaking new ground.

I'll be sure to skip Papa Grande Grille if I'm in the area. What a stupid, transparent mischaracterization - RU has always had plenty of fast food options, and a Mexican-burger place isn't exactly breaking new ground.

Silly reason. Their mango chicken quesadilla is really good.

"Back in the day, the Rutgers restaurant scene was known for its ‘grease trucks’ and ‘Fat Cats,’ a student staple which combined burgers and fries in a sandwich and offered the added bonus of being delivered.
“When I was a student here, you pretty much only had your choice of run-of-the-mill pizza, more pizza, and deli,” said Bruce Jones, who graduated from Rutgers in 2010 and now owns Mexican fusion eatery Papa Grande Grille on Easton Avenue. “But the restaurant scene on Easton has totally changed,” he said. “I would have loved to have had the options we have now."

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/life/2015/09/29/restaurants-rutgers-new-brunswick/72555686/
Uh... You also had Stuff Her Face, Noodle Gourmet, Tido's Hot Dogs, Cluck U. All four of these catered to students and they all specialized in food other than pizza or fat cats. Food options weren't terrible 5 years ago

I don't know back in the day I was fine with my options of the grease trucks or pizza - I was a college student and I I just wanted that junk anyway for the most part. Who knows maybe millenials are different with that.

The owner is a Rutgers grad and football supporter (I think his name is Bruce). While it might not be your thing, no reason to talk crap.

The owner is a Rutgers grad and football supporter (I think his name is Bruce). While it might not be your thing, no reason to talk crap.

Wasn't "talking crap". What he said in the article was inaccurate, period. Don't care what his background is.

I tend to disagree with what he said but I hope he does well. Nice to see a guy come back to start in NB. Hes down on Central Ave across from Joes Liquors- a tough spot kind of away from the crowds on Easton.

Easton is changing at light speed, though I find it hard to believe it was as barren as he described 5 years ago. You've got all the pizza spots but also some more expensive quick food - Sanctuary, Hansel, some dessert places, another bagel shop, Diesel and Duke, a new coffee shop. Some has popped up only in the past few years but not all of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT