ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting New Rivals 150 Hoops Rankings released

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
I know we’re in it with Patterson and Blakes but do we really have a shot with Diggins or Etienne?

There is literally no chance that there are 89 better players than Jones in the country. He is a top 40 player. IMO perhaps our best recruit in all my time following recruiting which started in 2000.

How many times have you seen him play?

How many times have you seen him play?
I have had a lot of time to watch any video of him that is out there and I have watched a lot of video on the top recruits and top recruits over the last twenty years. I have watched a lot of full games of top recruits over the last twenty years. I played high school basketball against guys like John Celestand. I feel comfortable in my level of knowledge and research. Take my comment however you want.

Patterson is scheduled to make his college choice on June 18,2020 which is his birthday.Villanova remains the favorite among 10 finalists.

I have had a lot of time to watch any video of him that is out there and I have watched a lot of video on the top recruits and top recruits over the last twenty years. I have watched a lot of full games of top recruits over the last twenty years. I played high school basketball against guys like John Celestand. I feel comfortable in my level of knowledge and research. Take my comment however you want.

I’m not being critical. I was just wondering if your opinion is based on more than his pretty limited highlight reel. Because to me, as highlight reels go, I found it rather unremarkable. To me it looked like he has some skills but is going to need to play a lot stronger and quicker than his highlight reel to make any sort of impact in the B1G.

I’m not being critical. I was just wondering if your opinion is based on more than his pretty limited highlight reel. Because to me, as highlight reels go, I found it rather unremarkable. To me it looked like he has some skills but is going to need to play a lot stronger and quicker than his highlight reel to make any sort of impact in the B1G.

I think the last one posted showed much more explosiveness to his game.

Geo Baker and Quincy Douby weren’t super quick either. I want to see how his lateral movement is. That’s something not shown much in the videos.

Can a college strength coach and drills improve quickness to a certain degree?

There is literally no chance that there are 89 better players than Jones in the country. He is a top 40 player. IMO perhaps our best recruit in all my time following recruiting which started in 2000.
Jones should work on other areas of his game other than shooting threes from a standstill off a pass. He’s already mastered that. With some work he should be able to make a three and shoot midrange left handed and shoot while moving off the dribble.

What seems to be lost in these lists is how a player fits into a system or addresses a team need.

Jones is the perfect Pikiell recruit. Would be interesting to see the final rankings address that after signing day.

Can a college strength coach and drills improve quickness to a certain degree?

Of course. But my opinion based solely on his highlight film is that he won’t be coming in B1G ready without a lot of work between now and then. That doesn’t really jive with Brad’s impression that he’s maybe the best recruit we’ve landed in 20yrs and at least a top-40 player. Believe me, I hope he’s right and I’m wrong. And I’m delighted to have the young man joining our program. He has talent and plenty of room to grow. I don’t pretend to have any special expertise in player evaluation.

I think @brad1218 is looking at the overall handle and size, which is definitely more fluid for someone at 6'7"...& while standing still dropping 3s isn't an automatic transfer to high level Power 5 basketball, it's difficult to watch his highlights and say 90th is where he lands.

In theory I would say that about a host of players that likely have similar upside.

I also think RU fans are like many others, looking at the rankings as some sort of justified way to feel good about this program being sustainable at this 20 win level most years going forward.....and can only equate that to how highly ranked or sought after, each player was based on ranking or something else.

[roll][roll][roll]:flush:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT