ADVERTISEMENT

***New Wrestling Analyst***

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
I'd like to welcome our site Lex Knapp as the TheKnightReport's new Wrestling Analyst. Some of you may know Lex from his wrestling days at Rutgers! Here's a quick intro from Lex.

Lex Knapp (Wrestling Analyst): My name is Lex Knapp, and I am excited to be covering Rutgers Wrestling for Rivals.com. This is a topic I am particularly passionate about, as I am a Rutgers Wrestling alumnus. My background in wrestling dates back to kindergarten, where I first began wrestling in my hometown of Forked River, NJ. I attended Lacey Township High School where I was a four year varsity starter at 189lbs. and 220lbs. Throughout my high school career I was a two-time NHSCA All-American, a two-time District 24 Champion, 2012 Region 6 Champion and Most Outstanding Wrestler, and 2012 NJSIAA State Runner Up. I went on to Rutgers University to study Planning and Public Policy and to wrestle for Coach Goodale and the Scarlet Knights from 2012-2016. I look forward to using my wrestling background and experience with the Rutgers Wrestling program to provide the most insightful knowledge to the Rutgers faithful.

I'd like to welcome our site Lex Knapp as the TheKnightReport's new Wrestling Analyst. Some of you may know Lex from his wrestling days at Rutgers! Here's a quick intro from Lex.

Lex Knapp (Wrestling Analyst): My name is Lex Knapp, and I am excited to be covering Rutgers Wrestling for Rivals.com. This is a topic I am particularly passionate about, as I am a Rutgers Wrestling alumnus. My background in wrestling dates back to kindergarten, where I first began wrestling in my hometown of Forked River, NJ. I attended Lacey Township High School where I was a four year varsity starter at 189lbs. and 220lbs. Throughout my high school career I was a two-time NHSCA All-American, a two-time District 24 Champion, 2012 Region 6 Champion and Most Outstanding Wrestler, and 2012 NJSIAA State Runner Up. I went on to Rutgers University to study Planning and Public Policy and to wrestle for Coach Goodale and the Scarlet Knights from 2012-2016. I look forward to using my wrestling background and experience with the Rutgers Wrestling program to provide the most insightful knowledge to the Rutgers faithful.

I remember Lex as a terrific wrestler in HS . Welcome aboard. My son is applying to the same Grad school as you, Lex ! Hoping he gets in.
Who's our next Heavyweight? Any eligibility left, Lex ? lol

I remember Lex as a terrific wrestler in HS . Welcome aboard. My son is applying to the same Grad school as you, Lex ! Hoping he gets in.
Who's our next Heavyweight? Any eligibility left, Lex ? lol

I appreciate it, and best of luck to your son.

As for heavyweight, that seems to be the glaring hole in the line up next year. There is depth on the roster, but it is an inexperienced group. And from what I’ve been told, Correnti is struggling to put on weight and mass, and will be back down to 197 next season.

Goody and staff have one of three options:
1. Groom a young and inexperienced D’Amore or Esposito to man the spot for the next three years or so.
2. Go with a more seasoned, but undersized, Ralph Normandia.
3. Scout out the transfer/grad transfer market to see if there is anyone looking for a new home.

I appreciate it, and best of luck to your son.

As for heavyweight, that seems to be the glaring hole in the line up next year. There is depth on the roster, but it is an inexperienced group. And from what I’ve been told, Correnti is struggling to put on weight and mass, and will be back down to 197 next season.

Goody and staff have one of three options:
1. Groom a young and inexperienced D’Amore or Esposito to man the spot for the next three years or so.
2. Go with a more seasoned, but undersized, Ralph Normandia.
3. Scout out the transfer/grad transfer market to see if there is anyone looking for a new home.
I'm in favor of Option 3 for this year and going all in to land Schultz or Fernandez for the 2019 class. Ralph, god bless his soul, just isn't good enough for the B1G grind at Heavy.

Reactions: PSUPOWER
I'm in favor of Option 3 for this year and going all in to land Schultz or Fernandez for the 2019 class. Ralph, god bless his soul, just isn't good enough for the B1G grind at Heavy.

From what I’ve been told, Schultz is the top priority in the 2019 recruiting class. One could argue that would be the best signee in the Goodale era.

Fernandez is not a bad 2nd option if Schultz goes elsewhere. I was impressed with his movement and wrestling ability down in AC this year. Much more than just a big body.

Schultz to RU would be absolutely huge. Huge. That is how you keep momentum building. I have been saying this awhile, to get to where we want to be we have to start landing legit blue chip talent. Need guys ranked top 3 at their weight class, not guys ranked 5-15.

Schultz to RU would be absolutely huge. Huge. That is how you keep momentum building. I have been saying this awhile, to get to where we want to be we have to start landing legit blue chip talent. Need guys ranked top 3 at their weight class, not guys ranked 5-15.

I understand that we need blue chippers but if we don't get them.Guys ranked 5-15 are just as good as long as we can develop them.There is no guarantee any of them become All Americans.

DeSanto of Drexel has been granted his release and will transfer. PSU and Nebraska are listed as 2 possible landing sites. Cael has already met with him.

I personally was surprised to hear it but nothing would shock me anymore. Yesterday my money would have been on Lock Haven but looks like the bigger schools are looking to take a chance on his talent.
Besides the incident with Micic, This kid has a motor and was getting praised all season.. I'd be pretty pumped if he came to RU..

Reactions: brentx35
How likely it is, is hard to say. This is all still very fresh. But if I’m Austin DeSanto, and I know my workout partners will be Nick Suriano and Anthony Ashnault, I know I’d be highly intrigued.

Not to mention having Donny Pritzlaff as one of your coaches as well as having other partners like Nic Aguilar and the Van Brill's.

IMHO, highly unlikely. No inside info at all though. During the NCAA tourney, I read a few of his tweets and he took a few jabs at RU wrestlers and NJ. But, who knows. He certainly isn’t poised in public when he gets frustrated regardless of his “situation”. That troubles me when you’re continuing to build a solid foundation and a close knit Family. However, I would have faith & trust the coaches’ decisions should it even be an option.

Go RU!
Diane

IMHO, highly unlikely. No inside info at all though. During the NCAA tourney, I read a few of his tweets and he took a few jabs at RU wrestlers and NJ. But, who knows. He certainly isn’t poised in public when he gets frustrated regardless of his “situation”. That troubles me when you’re continuing to build a solid foundation and a close knit Family. However, I would have faith & trust the coaches’ decisions should it even be an option.

Go RU!
Diane

Keep in mind he also had words for a certain Iowa wrestler. I don't see that being an issue and if both sides were ready to pull the trigger I'm sure all will be forgiven.

With that said I tend to agree with you, and quite frankly, I'm excited to see how MVB develops. Of course, talent is talent and this kid is a pure talent.

Reactions: PSUPOWER

Go RU!
Diane

Those tweets were not from Desanto....it was a parody account set up during the NCAA tournament

Reactions: rondi
Not to mention having Donny Pritzlaff as one of your coaches as well as having other partners like Nic Aguilar and the Van Brill's.

I have had the pleasure of speaking a few times to "resident athlete" Montel Marion. I think he would also be a wonderful, calming, and experienced mentor. Not to mention an ultra talented training partner.

Reactions: koleszar
That would be a potentially lethal lineup for next season with DeSanto here:

125: Aguilar or Suriano
133: Suriano or DeSanto
141: DeSanto or MVB
149: Ashnault
157: JVB or Glasgow
165: JVB or Glasgow
174: Grello
184: Gravina
197: Correnti
HVY: Transfer or JUCO or Ralph N.

Heavy would be the only weak spot in the lineup. And I'd trust Goodale and Pritzlaff if they decide to bring DeSanto in.

That would be a potentially lethal lineup for next season with DeSanto here:

125: Aguilar or Suriano
133: Suriano or DeSanto
141: DeSanto or MVB
149: Ashnault
157: JVB or Glasgow
165: JVB or Glasgow
174: Grello
184: Gravina
197: Correnti
HVY: Transfer or JUCO or Ralph N.

Heavy would be the only weak spot in the lineup. And I'd trust Goodale and Pritzlaff if they decide to bring DeSanto in.

Sounds like a top 5 line up to me

With Lewis and DeLuca gone, we have room for another loose cannon. DeSanto would be a great get. Its all a matter of balance, and having the good influences outweigh the bad. Always trust the staff.

Exactly. These guys know what they’re doing, and they’ll evaluate this carefully. It is not the first, nor will it be the last time, the staff has to evaluate the pros and cons of a prospect with a controversial history.

Alright, all, I’m signing off for the night.

I would just like to take the time to say thank you for all of the warm welcomes, support, and great questions. My first two days in this role have been even more fun than I anticipated.

Like you all, this is a team and a sport I am extremely passionate about. It was an honor to be apart of this program, and it’s just as great of a privilege to now cover it. I can’t wait to provide more content and coverage for the best fan base in NCAA wrestling.

Keep the questions and comments coming tomorrow!

DeSanto will be 3x all american, and will contend for national title. It will not be us wanting him or not - it'll be the exact opposite: him picking the best situation for him.

But with the talk of Suriano possibly going up to 133lb, and would DeSanto be 141? He didn't look big when wrestling against Delvecchio. Hope the weights do work out, and he comes to wrestle for RU.

DeSanto will be 3x all american, and will contend for national title. It will not be us wanting him or not - it'll be the exact opposite: him picking the best situation for him.

But with the talk of Suriano possibly going up to 133lb, and would DeSanto be 141? He didn't look big when wrestling against Delvecchio. Hope the weights do work out, and he comes to wrestle for RU.

Per the Christian Pyles tweet, DeSanto said he wanted to go 141, which makes us an ideal situation. Room to start, and terrific training partners. Could you imagine if we add Meredith through the NJRTC?? Now you are competing with the big boys.

Let it be so...

On DeSanto - I remember him cutting weight from 132lb to 126lb to wrestle Spence Lee again in 2017 PIAA to avenge his loss in 2016 finals. That says a lot about a person's character. Minor note: Spencer Lee also wrestled his senior year in highschool with ACL tear.

Goodale and Pollard just started following DeSanto on twitter.
More like they think they are following Austin, them along with Lex and many others are following the first fake DeSanto account. Austin doesn't do social media, reports are that he doesn't even own a phone.

Reactions: R U Crazy
More like they think they are following Austin, them along with Lex and many others are following the first fake DeSanto account. Austin doesn't do social media, reports are that he doesn't even own a phone.

Smh... In any case, that doesn't surprise me regarding his lack of social media use given his condition.

Edit: This is why I use twitter sparingly and why I tend to not follow HS or college athletes.

but maybe DeSanto is following what's going on with his fake account, and appreciates the interest. if all potential coaches follow his fake account and we don't, that's negative. i.e., it wouldn't hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT