ADVERTISEMENT

Next up: Temple

They lost a lot on defense.
If you listen to Temple fans, they don't think so. They are quick to point out several returning players who were hurt last year or took over at starters midway through the season. IMO, I see a program in transition. They are not a bad program, but they may not be as good as last year.

Reactions: shields
If you listen to Temple fans, they don't think so. They are quick to point out several returning players who were hurt last year or took over at starters midway through the season. IMO, I see a program in transition. They are not a bad program, but they may not be as good as last year.
Temple has done a great job in recent years. Going from Al Golden to Addazzio to Rhule. They haven’t missed a beat.If they competed like that twenty years ago they wouldn’t have gotten kicked out of the Big East.

2020 college football preseason preview: Temple Owls
Five wins seems at least a game too high. We’re going under here unless the Cherry and White can find a quarterback in the portal to replace the sub-mediocre Russo. This defense is falling back this season, and he can’t score enough to cover for them.

But the bigger issue for a team that was once kicked out of the Big East for not staying competitive: what good transfer quarterback wants to play in front of no fans with no support?

Temple has been stable for the last several years, but outsiders are quick to forget or overlook the fact they don't get top tier recruits. It's vital for Temple to develop players, and that takes time. They were an older and experienced team last year, but this year they are breaking in a lot of new players on defense. There is a lot of pressure on Russo to step up on offense while the defense gains experience and learns to play with one another. Temple is at its best when they have experienced players, and their staff can get fancy with schemes. This is when Temple is relentless because they can count on the veteran players who are less prone to mistakes.

Reactions: beaced
Temple has done a great job in recent years. Going from Al Golden to Addazzio to Rhule. They haven’t missed a beat.If they competed like that twenty years ago they wouldn’t have gotten kicked out of the Big East.
They definitely wouldve been in the ACC. Still can or maybe even the B12 to be one of WVU roommates.

If they had the Matt Rhule/Greg Schiano type at Temple now, they would be on a faster track for that On Campus Stadium that they need instead of paying the Eagles millions for the Linc. Their current coach is coa hing during their most important run to stay in FCS. If he stays afloat, they still have a chance. Their coach is the key now, who the jury is still out on.

If they had the Matt Rhule/Greg Schiano type at Temple now, they would be on a faster track for that On Campus Stadium that they need instead of paying the Eagles millions for the Linc. Their current coach is coa hing during their most important run to stay in FCS. If he stays afloat, they still have a chance. Their coach is the key now, who the jury is still out on.
FBS you mean. That on campus stadium was a pipe dream. Doesn’t matter how good they are, there’s not nearly enough support to override the neighborhood’s anti-development sentiment. And especially not now in the current political environment.

Temple is still a solid team, but they've faded a bit as the Golden/Rhule players continue to graduate. I'm not sold on Carey and his weaker recruiting ties to the area. I think they'll continue to slip back towards an average G5 team.

They lose a lot on defense in 2020 despite what Temple fans say to the contrary. They do however bring back an experienced and winning QB, their deep threat WR, Jaden Blue, will be playing on Sundays, and they also have a very good young RB. The offensive line looks to be solid again this year with the addition of the graduate student center from NIU. I think they will score some points, but I am counting on Schiano finding a QB by the third game that can exploit their young defense and lead us to victory.

Temple has been stable for the last several years, but outsiders are quick to forget or overlook the fact they don't get top tier recruits. It's vital for Temple to develop players, and that takes time. They were an older and experienced team last year, but this year they are breaking in a lot of new players on defense. There is a lot of pressure on Russo to step up on offense while the defense gains experience and learns to play with one another. Temple is at its best when they have experienced players, and their staff can get fancy with schemes. This is when Temple is relentless because they can count on the veteran players who are less prone to mistakes.
We had some great games with the OWLS back in Frank Burns Day..Down at the VET,at RU and at GS.I remember Bill Cosby on the sidelines at GS.

Reactions: MADHAT1
They lose a lot on defense in 2020 despite what Temple fans say to the contrary. They do however bring back an experienced and winning QB, their deep threat WR, Jaden Blue, will be playing on Sundays, and they also have a very good young RB. The offensive line looks to be solid again this year with the addition of the graduate student center from NIU. I think they will score some points, but I am counting on Schiano finding a QB by the third game that can exploit their young defense and lead us to victory.
Temple (according to ESPN):
The interior line gets a makeover -- All-America center Matt Hennessy and all-conference guard Jovahn Fair are both gone, which is scary -- but the tackles return, as does another all-conference guard in Vincent Picozzi. The grad transfer from Northern Illinois is CJ Perez. He was a two-year starter at NIU.

That whole "sure-thing defense" theory is going to get a test. Coordinator Jeff Knowles has to replace three of the top four tacklers on the line, the top three linebackers, and three of four DBs. There are still some proven veterans -- tackle Ifeanyi Maijeh, corner Christian Braswell, safety Amir Tyler -- plus breakthrough-ready youngsters like end Arnold Ebiketie, tackle Khris Banks, and, if eligible, WVU safety transfer Kwantel Raines. But depth is a massive concern when you lose that many stalwarts at once.

What I don't like is how several publications give credit to schools when mentioning transfers or young players flashing potential, but that's rarely the case with Rutgers. The damage done to Rutgers' image by Ash and Flood has caused writers to revert back to "I told you so" when it comes to Rutgers.

Reactions: NorthBroad
Temple (according to ESPN):
The interior line gets a makeover -- All-America center Matt Hennessy and all-conference guard Jovahn Fair are both gone, which is scary -- but the tackles return, as does another all-conference guard in Vincent Picozzi. The grad transfer from Northern Illinois is CJ Perez. He was a two-year starter at NIU.

That whole "sure-thing defense" theory is going to get a test. Coordinator Jeff Knowles has to replace three of the top four tacklers on the line, the top three linebackers, and three of four DBs. There are still some proven veterans -- tackle Ifeanyi Maijeh, corner Christian Braswell, safety Amir Tyler -- plus breakthrough-ready youngsters like end Arnold Ebiketie, tackle Khris Banks, and, if eligible, WVU safety transfer Kwantel Raines. But depth is a massive concern when you lose that many stalwarts at once.

What I don't like is how several publications give credit to schools when mentioning transfers or young players flashing potential, but that's rarely the case with Rutgers. The damage done to Rutgers' image by Ash and Flood has caused writers to revert back to "I told you so" when it comes to Rutgers.

Hennessy was a low 3 star from Don Bosco, not sure if RU even recruited him.

Reactions: NorthBroad
We do lose a lot on defense. We've lost a lot every year on defense, which is why we have 29 guys currently on NFL rosters, to Rutgers 18. 13 of the 29 are from New Jersey. Coaches keep coming and going. We keep winning 8, 9, and 10 games.

Reactions: Mystic Mountie
We do lose a lot on defense. We've lost a lot every year on defense, which is why we have 29 guys currently on NFL rosters, to Rutgers 18. 13 of the 29 are from New Jersey. Coaches keep coming and going. We keep winning 8, 9, and 10 games.
Ahhhhhh. I knew it was only a matter of time before someone had to say his team has a bigger d**I than your team.

I'll play along. Who is has more potential at long term success? We do. Who is in a better conference? We are. In head to head match up, who has more wins? WE DO. Now back to breaking down the game with d**k swinging comments. :Laughing

Yeah you took our spot on the AAC. We’ve moved on and struggled in the BIG. We will outman you and win handily.

I think we have more Big Ten wins than Rutgers does since you joined the Big Ten, and we're not even in the conference! :Laughing

I think we have more Big Ten wins than Rutgers does since you joined the Big Ten, and we're not even in the conference! :Laughing
This is what I wanted to avoid. You are visiting our board, so you need to be respectful. We can't visit your board since you guys went to a paid subscription. That was to keep people off the site and doing precisely what you're doing now. Either talk football or we say, "Bye Felicia" to you for good.

Reactions: shields
That’s just a false statement. Do you work for CNN or are you a Pelosi staffer? You have 2 wins in the BIG since we joined. I was happy you won both of them. But you cannot move up to the BIG so you don’t have to worry about going through what we have been. Keep winning 6-9 games in a weak conference. Those were good days for us as well.

If they competed like that twenty years ago they wouldn’t have gotten kicked out of the Big East.
Nope, that was not the reason they got kicked out. The main issue was that they played in the Vet, and shared that with the Phillies and Eagles. And that was a huge problem, because they could not schedule home games until November. The Big East got tired of twisting their scheduling into pretzel loops. The Phillies were the key issue: because they could possibly go into the post season, Temple could not schedule home games in October. Once they moved to the Linc, which was football only, that problem went away.

Temple had a great AD in Pat Kraft, a Big 10 Football player, and he hired very good coaches and gave those coaches enough of a budget to hire good Assistants. THAT AD deserves a ton of credit for rebuilding Temple. Boston College just hired him away from Temple.

Reactions: RUSK97
This is what I wanted to avoid. You are visiting our board, so you need to be respectful. We can't visit your board since you guys went to a paid subscription. That was to keep people off the site and doing precisely what you're doing now. Either talk football or we say, "Bye Felicia" to you for good.

Hey, Temple Football replaces guys well on defense, produces National Football League guys, and many of the football recruits are from New Jersey. Here's how many football games we won recently.

Stick to football or you're banned.

That’s just a false statement. Do you work for CNN or are you a Pelosi staffer? You have 2 wins in the BIG since we joined. I was happy you won both of them. But you cannot move up to the BIG so you don’t have to worry about going through what we have been. Keep winning 6-9 games in a weak conference. Those were good days for us as well.

Yeah, I'm enjoying those good days. And we're still recruiting under recruited kids, many from Jersey and still developing them, no matter the coach, AD, or anything else that you'd like to pin the success on. We've likely had more P5 wins since you joined a P5 conference. Stomped Maryland a few times, Penn State, Georgia Tech, Vandy. Not even the schlubs like Kansas.

Hey, Temple Football replaces guys well on defense, produces National Football League guys, and many of the football recruits are from New Jersey. Here's how many football games we won recently.

Stick to football or you're banned.
Many? 2 of 9 this year. Fran Brown says hello. He's with us now.

Yeah, I'm enjoying those good days. And we're still recruiting under recruited kids, many from Jersey and still developing them, no matter the coach, AD, or anything else that you'd like to pin the success on. We've likely had more P5 wins since you joined a P5 conference. Stomped Maryland a few times, Penn State, Georgia Tech, Vandy. Not even the schlubs like Kansas.
Stop the BS. Since 2014 (Rutgers entrance to a P5 conference), Temple has won a total of five P5 games. In 2014 alone Rutgers won five P5 games. There is a difference in playing one or two P5 in a season than playing at least nine or ten per season. I don't care what you say, Temple would not fare any better than a p*ss poor Rutgers team under Ash. Even under Flood, Temple could not defeat Rutgers.

So our Temple visitors have overstayed their welcome.

PnHop9l.jpg

Five wins seems a bit low. Havent they won 7+ for years?

No chance they slip out of the FBS... They've been in above average in their conference

Five wins seems a bit low. Havent they won 7+ for years?

I'm guessing the limit is five this year because of all the talent they lost on defense. Temple is not one of those programs that simply reload like Ohio State, Clemson, or even fellow G5 power Boise State. Also, there are questions about the current HC's ability to recruit Temple's standard recruiting footprint. He's a good coach but lacks the relationship with local HS coaches, and by the time he establishes a solid bond, it might be too late.

No chance they slip out of the FBS... They've been in above average in their conference
I don't think Temple will go anywhere, but the current climate has put a strain on the finances for a lot of schools, especially those who don't have access to tv money or other sources of revenue. That could be the cause of any change in status for Temple. Not on the field results.

Rutgers has that guy that help you recruit those players now.

Reactions: scripts
Rutgers has that guy that help you recruit those players now.
Those guys Temple was getting were not the top NJ players. Top NJ players were going to other B1G schools or other Power 5 leagues. The players Temple was getting were guys that Flood used to get after he ran out of Schiano's last recruits. The arrival of Ash meant no connection to NJ HS, coaches, or recruits. Temple's success happened to take place during this time because of these events.

FYI: Schiano's last few recruiting classes were top NJ players.

There is plenty of HS talent in MD, PA, NJ, NY, and Virginia for Temple to succeed in the AAC even with a competitive Rutgers in the B1G. In addition, thanks to the transfer portal, there will also be plenty of 3 and 4 star kids that decided to go out of the area that will be looking for a safe place to land back home and Rutgers can't take them all. UConn and UMass are not an option, so some of those kids will land at Temple. I can't stand Temple, but there is really no reason other than coaching why they can't sustain the same level of success going forward no matter what we do.

There is plenty of HS talent in MD, PA, NJ, NY, and Virginia for Temple to succeed in the AAC even with a competitive Rutgers in the B1G. In addition, thanks to the transfer portal, there will also be plenty of 3 and 4 star kids that decided to go out of the area that will be looking for a safe place to land back home and Rutgers can't take them all. UConn and UMass are not an option, so some of those kids will land at Temple. I can't stand Temple, but there is really no reason other than coaching why they can't sustain the same level of success going forward no matter what we do.
Yes and no. A lot of the kids who ended up at Temple who were from NJ made it clear that as long as Flood and Ash remained at Rutgers, they would never consider the schools. You could say it's similar to Rutgers' rise coincided with Syracuse's failure in NJ. The sheer numbers of quality NJ recruits at Temple now were higher than usual than any other time. When Rutgers was under Schiano and the early stages of Flood, you saw less quality second-tier NJ recruits at Temple.

Schiano: top-tier recruits considered Rutgers as well as the usual Power 5 schools.
second-tier recruits filled a spot at Rutgers when top-tier kids went elsewhere.
It resulted in fewer second-tier kids to Temple. Fewer hidden gems for them.

Flood: early stages (first year & half) was similar to Schiano, then it fell apart
Temple begin competing with Rutgers for more second-tier recruits and winning.
It resulted in the quality of play for Temple rises with More bowl games and NFL type players.

Ash: reduced Rutgers to third-tier NJ recruits and recruits from non-traditional areas.
Temple now becomes a local destination for some top-tier NJ recruits along with more second-tier.

Schiano will not stop them from winning. They have a good coach in place, but the quantity and quality of NFL players will dry up. Kids still want to play in a perceived better conference in front of large crowds. These kids know what Schiano did back in the day at Rutgers, and that's intriguing for kids to stay local and experience it.

Reactions: ScarletNut
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT