ADVERTISEMENT

Niagara 5 Thoughts

A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

1) After a disappointing opening night performance, this is how a good team bounces back. Complete and total domination from start to finish. Listen it’s Niagara but thats what youre supposed to do against a low major.

2) We’re seeing glimpses of the benefits of Eugene being gone. Not once did the ball get stuck in the post today, the ball kept rotating around until we found a great look. Everyone got involved and no one just was left sitting around and looking at the post to see a guy play one on one.

3) Geo is still our go to guy. A week ago I wouldve told you it was Ron but it’s clear from body language, and demeanor that Geo is still our #1. Huge game today from the captain hitting shot after shot from range and jumping out of the gym for that monster dunk. Hes come a long way. His on ball defense has been very good as well and he’s been very active on the defensive end. My only concern is he still struggles any time a screen is set on him.

4) I trust Yeboah. Yeboah always makes the smart play and seems to be the type of guy that is always in the right place at the right time. He doesnt try to do too much and epitomizes the concept of being a team player. Smooth stroke from 3 and a willing rebounder when hes down low. Hes a pleasure to watch. Not to mention hes a tremendous free throw shooter

5) Bryant was a blessing in disguise. Bryant allowed pike to get these kids attention and get on them. We came out ready to compete today, we played with maximum effort and intensity on the defensive end and played unbelievably efficient on the offensive end of the floor. Gotta continue to take care of business against these sub top 100 opponents until we hit that Pitt stretch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not taking too much from the first two games but it’s just obvious we have more skill than we’ve had in years. No more guys coming off the bench that look like DII players. Duke looked good. Mulcahy looked good. Two guys we’ll need to be effective off the bench in B1G games in January and February.

I was somewhat surprised the summary didn't include Young and Caleb, who took good shots, under control.

I don't have access to a chart on passes per possession but Yeboah probably had the ball in his hands for a couple of seconds per possession. He flubbed a couple of passes inside he should have handled but the transition 3 is there for him.

There were harmless looking plays in the 2nd half like Mulcahy finding Baker on a little hesitation move at the foul line.....and a neat little wrap around pass to Carter...5 points that are generated by sharing the rock.

I was thinking #3 also - this is Baker’s team, period.

Still waiting for a truly breakout performance by Harper.

And, yeah, I really like Yeboah’s game. Just very solid and smart.

Mulcahy with 6 assists, kid definitely knows how to find guys. But his footwork on defense is pretty slow. Just something to keep an eye on as we move forward against better competition.

Reactions: MV9000
I’m in the air right now so couldn’t watch. Doesn’t sound like we attempted many free throws, But how did we shoot them? What percentage? I can’t find it and am curious.
Nice win!

I was somewhat surprised the summary didn't include Young and Caleb, who took good shots, under control.

I don't have access to a chart on passes per possession but Yeboah probably had the ball in his hands for a couple of seconds per possession. He flubbed a couple of passes inside he should have handled but the transition 3 is there for him.

There were harmless looking plays in the 2nd half like Mulcahy finding Baker on a little hesitation move at the foul line.....and a neat little wrap around pass to Carter...5 points that are generated by sharing the rock.
Caleb looked great, his mid range game is tremendous. Young played more under control today but he did play me ball a couple of possessions. Youngs best role is 15 mins off the bench in big ten play and provide energy and defense imo

Caleb looked great, his mid range game is tremendous. Young played more under control today but he did play me ball a couple of possessions. Youngs best role is 15 mins off the bench in big ten play and provide energy and defense imo
He will probably play more than that most days. He’s instant offense off the bench. I could see him playing as few as 15 in a game but as much as 30 depending how under control he is.

Reactions: satnom
Agree that Caleb has an awesome mid range jumper. Jury still out on J Young. I think he could contribute but he seems a bit out of control at times...ala Corey.

It was good to see Caleb more involved and he played well. I think he more than anyone was negatively impacted by the crazy substitution pattern vs. Bryant.

Reactions: Scangg and MV9000
He’s got tremendous court vision. Even making a no look pass to Young on the perimeter gave Jacob a wide open 3 point three that he nailed. Good things happen with the ball in Mulcahys hands.

1. Extremely well played game. Loved the passing. Best passing team in years?
2. Great perimeter defense. Could still use some work blocking out and rebounding.
3. Thought Geo and Caleb were outstanding shooting from the outside/mid range and Harper and Montez driving to the hoops or going to the inside is how we should be playing. At times it was a thing of beauty.
4. Yeboah looked like he has a smooth stroke.
5. Loved Mulcahy in the high post dishing passes. He looks smooth.
6. Like Young in the Darius Griffin role creating chaos. Threw a beautiful alley oop pass to Harper.
7. For the longest time we scored a ton of points with no foul shooting at all. Was wondering if that would have been a record for most points scored with least amount of free throw points.
8. Three Point foul at end of first half was bad.
9. Uncontested three in middle of second half was pretty bad.
10. Shot clock violation for RU after TO was unfortunate.
11. All in all almost a perfect game and feel much better about this team then after Bryant.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
1) After a disappointing opening night performance, this is how a good team bounces back. Complete and total domination from start to finish. Listen it’s Niagara but thats what youre supposed to do against a low major.

2) We’re seeing glimpses of the benefits of Eugene being gone. Not once did the ball get stuck in the post today, the ball kept rotating around until we found a great look. Everyone got involved and no one just was left sitting around and looking at the post to see a guy play one on one.

3) Geo is still our go to guy. A week ago I wouldve told you it was Ron but it’s clear from body language, and demeanor that Geo is still our #1. Huge game today from the captain hitting shot after shot from range and jumping out of the gym for that monster dunk. Hes come a long way. His on ball defense has been very good as well and he’s been very active on the defensive end. My only concern is he still struggles any time a screen is set on him.

4) I trust Yeboah. Yeboah always makes the smart play and seems to be the type of guy that is always in the right place at the right time. He doesnt try to do too much and epitomizes the concept of being a team player. Smooth stroke from 3 and a willing rebounder when hes down low. Hes a pleasure to watch. Not to mention hes a tremendous free throw shooter

5) Bryant was a blessing in disguise. Bryant allowed pike to get these kids attention and get on them. We came out ready to compete today, we played with maximum effort and intensity on the defensive end and played unbelievably efficient on the offensive end of the floor. Gotta continue to take care of business against these sub top 100 opponents until we hit that Pitt stretch.
In response to #3 don’t forget Geo’s block against Bryant that saved the game the other night and he had 2 blocks today in like a 2 minutes span

I’m in the air right now so couldn’t watch. Doesn’t sound like we attempted many free throws, But how did we shoot them? What percentage? I can’t find it and am curious.
Nice win!
I believe we were 8 for 9 which is pretty good.

I stated several times that Paul was a big time player but many especially GRF were negative about him. The kid is a player. His first though is to set up his teammates. If he scores he scores but that is not his role at the moment. There is a reason he was First Team All State. He can really pass the ball.

Agreed. Young was night-and-day better than his first game. He was a much better team player today, who let the game come to him instead of forcing it on offense.

Reactions: Scangg and BillyC80
That will come with time. Not worried about his offense, love how he always looks to set up his teammates.

So far Paul has exceeded my expectations based on the stats from the Spain trip.

However, while he looks to pass first and looks for the open man, imo this only works if he's a threat to hit a deuce or trey himself. Sort like the RPO QB's!

MO
PS But so far so good!!!

Reactions: satnom
On point 3 in Kyk’s opening post, Geo is the go to guy but Harper will also have his opportunities

St. Bonaventure close enough to 100 to know that game isn't foregone conclusion.
Theyre around 150. NJIT should be more of a challenge imo.

the bonnies lost by double digits to ohio and dropped one to vermont as well. Theyre a poor shooting team. We should head into the pitt game at 7-0. And if we win that we travel to Michigan State at 8-0 with some serious momentum building up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT