ADVERTISEMENT

NIT path

NIT has 32 teams. Last year, there were 11 automatic bids for conference champions that did not dance. That's basically the same as 12 bids guaranteed to teams in the power six conferences at the end of the year. Those 12 teams are also guaranteed to host opening round games.

Look - there are 79 major conference (big 6) schools total. Let’s use Lunardi’s current bracket which projects that 37 of those teams will make the NCAAs. That leaves 42 major conference teams. Of those, 16 have no chance at an NIT bid based on their record to date. That leaves 26 teams and mid majors to fill 32 spots. Shouldn’t we feel pretty good about this even at 17-15ish? The committee gets to select. Money will matter more than a couple spots in the NET. They aren’t putting a Northern Texas type into the field over us just because their net is slightly higher. If we finish strong we will make it, right?

What am I missing?

North Texas won the NIT last year...currently 78...we do not know how they will select the rest of the field, they may go strictly by net...the idea that they will not take any lower level school is uncertain, i dont think its just going to be about power 6

North Texas won the NIT last year...currently 78...we do not know how they will select the rest of the field, they may go strictly by net...the idea that they will not take any lower level school is uncertain, i dont think its just going to be about power 6
But the fact that they changed the criteria leads one to believe it’s going to be more about the Power 6.

I think its more for getting those top seeds and home courts but I think there will be plenty of lower levels filling out too

I think its more for getting those top seeds and home courts but I think there will be plenty of lower levels filling out too
I agree with you but they did change the criteria so has to be some purpose for doing it.

Occam’s razor.

I'm leaning towards PSAL on this point. I think it's fair to say that if we don't finish strong, we don't deserve any postseason bid. So let's ignore any scenario where we are not 5-4 minimum down the stretch. Let's say we finish 6-3. Those wins come from somewhere. Unless the whole B1G finishes 9-11 (except Michigan and Ohio State, let's say), that would likely have us climb past some of the other B1G teams.

Then put two of Minnesota, Nebraska and NW in the NCAA. So that's two less teams competing for the B1G NIT slots. We have the non-dancer of those three, plus Iowa, Maryland, Indiana, and PSU to get an auto NET bid. But at least three and maybe four B1G are likely going to the NIT IMO.

One might speculate that they changed the format in part to avoid future match ups like Northern Texas vs UAB.

Regardless, its probably safe to say it’s unlikely they would pick a 10+ loss mid-major from CUSA which is the best Northern Texas could do if they don’t get an autobid.

I guess where I’m coming from is - how many mid majors out there have a realistic chance to fit the profile of NET top 90ish and less than 10 losses. Remember that the current conference leaders will likely win their autobids but even if they don’t - the loss they would take to not get it would be a significant NET hit. A couple MVC teams. Maybe a few Mountain west teams. But not many. There’s a 6 team buffer to start to get to 32 assuming the committee doesn’t take Michigan types.

I wouldn’t make the NIT the goal. Win as many games as possible and see where the chips fall. The team looks to be at full strength now with Mag back from injury and JW eligible.

• Haha
Reactions: DoyleRU
One might speculate that they changed the format in part to avoid future match ups like Northern Texas vs UAB.

Regardless, its probably safe to say it’s unlikely they would pick a 10+ loss mid-major from CUSA which is the best Northern Texas could do if they don’t get an autobid.

I guess where I’m coming from is - how many mid majors out there have a realistic chance to fit the profile of NET top 90ish and less than 10 losses. Remember that the current conference leaders will likely win their autobids but even if they don’t - the loss they would take to not get it would be a significant NET hit. A couple MVC teams. Maybe a few Mountain west teams. But not many. There’s a 6 team buffer to start to get to 32 assuming the committee doesn’t take Michigan types.
Two good games tonight.
Dayton v VCU. Is VCU an NIT candidate or both?
SD State v Nevada. Is Nevada an NIT candidate or both?
Colorado State also plays tonight. Is CSU an NIT candidate or both?

Want to tease BAC with MWC!
Mountain West is entertaining. Lol

If we win enough games where we look like a competelt different team... this team will be extremely dangerous in the B1G tournament and more motivated to win it than anyone else

Does anyone actually care about getting into the NIT?

Serious question. I don’t think any program claims success or momentum unless they win it. The players last year seemed disinterested . And even then the general population doesn’t really care.

I think the bigger point is that we finish the season looking like a capable team.
Yes. Based on how we were short handed early on and finish strong, it would feel much different than last year, which was huge let down

Two good games tonight.
Dayton v VCU. Is VCU an NIT candidate or both?
SD State v Nevada. Is Nevada an NIT candidate or both?
Colorado State also plays tonight. Is CSU an NIT candidate or both?

Want to tease BAC with MWC!
Mountain West is entertaining. Lol

I’d figure a couple teams from the MWC will make the NIT. Probably Nevada. Colorado State will make the NCAAs barring a collapse. Their resume is good enough this year. VCU would probably need to beat Dayton to be considered.

By the count I put up before - a minimum of 6 mid-majors would have to make it to fill the 32 slots.

Take it one at a time. Win the next two at home then you've got OSU, Michigan and MD at home, two of which we've already beaten at their place, and Minn. and Nebraska on the road - all winnable. Win five of them and that gives you 19 wins. One in the B1G Tournament makes it 20 and you're in. Gotta win the next two at home. It's far from impossible now with JWill. NIT is a lock.
Again, one at a time.

It's one game at a time for the players. Fans can look as far ahead as they want. It has zero impact on anything
To me as a fan 1 game at a time is also more enjoyable. If you start counting games to the NIT or NCAA, you make each one more stressful than it has to be, And you cant enjoy each one as much, because as soon as it’s over you are looking ahead to the next ones … all that then the season is over and your reward is maybe 1-2 NCAA games or a few NIT games, what’s the fun in that

Does anyone actually care about getting into the NIT?

Serious question. I don’t think any program claims success or momentum unless they win it. The players last year seemed disinterested . And even then the general population doesn’t really care.

I think the bigger point is that we finish the season looking like a capable team.
Making a run in the NIT with the new players would be great for getting this team playing together and laying the ground work for next year. Otherwise, no one cares. It's like the extra practices for a bowl game. It helps going forward.

Making a run in the NIT with the new players would be great for getting this team playing together and laying the ground work for next year. Otherwise, no one cares. It's like the extra practices for a bowl game. It helps going forward.

Not in this day and age where everyone’s roster gets completely turned each year . The team itself can’t even confidently exit with any momentum becusse each player then has to “evaluate “ their situation. And as we saw this past offseason- even if they “made up their mind to stay “ and told coach. That wasn’t even solid enough for two starters on last years team.

This year there's actual value in playing the NIT. Last year there wasn't.

I agree with this statement

I mean at the time (due to last few games) NCAAs is still a (very remote) possibility

But if they don’t get that - even finishing above .500 (particularly. 500 in conference) and making NIT would be a solid accomplishment for this years team (particularly in light of where they were early in the season )

Reactions: bigmatt718
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT