ADVERTISEMENT

Nixon Provillon WR epected to walk-on

His Twitter says he is 21....wow.....and the trainer Brian Martin says they've been working together. Does that mean a college kid has been paying a trainer already?

like the taller receivers... fits our profile over the past few years of successful WR's. Welcoming him and hope he does well for us.

At this time the number one thing we need at WR is speed, speed and more speed.
Period!
The 6-4 strong, possession type reciever is great, but his usefulness and productivity is greatly reduced without explosive threats surrounding him.
We need that first and foremost at this time

Reactions: beaced
Hell kids in grade school and middle school have paid trainers. Especially club soccer. Tennis for sure...

Yep. It's definitely a different world today. I know a guy who does pretty well as a trainer for these kids and any number of parents whose sons....mostly baseball and football players... have personal trainers. It's gotta be a nice edge for some of them.

Reactions: scrltnite1
Period!
The 6-4 strong, possession type reciever is great, but his usefulness and productivity is greatly reduced without explosive threats surrounding him.
Especially in this offense where the ball comes out faster

Welcome, Mr. Provillon! Love to see as many options as possible at WR, because if Mehringer's year at JMU shows us anything, we'll be drawing deep from that well.

Period!
Speed is great but without...hands, hands and hands who cares how fast he is?

He is a walk on.

It is what it is. Of course he doesn't have all the talents right now or he would be offered a scholarship.

But he has potential and that's why he will get a shot.

One more time ...

Is Westfield, NJ RB Jack Curry a preferred walk-on?

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/stor...area-football-offensive-player-year/77078388/

Did Curry's Dad play at Rutgers?

There is this on twitter.
Shawn Brown ‏@ShawnBRivals Feb 14

Westfield '16 all state RB @jack_curry27 visited the Rutgers campus Thursday, has ties to the Scarlet Knight program https://rutgers.n.rivals.com/news/westfield-rb-jack-curry-recaps-rutgers-visit…

And an article on Premium.

UNM Lobo Baseball Coach Ray Birmingham told my 13 year old 7th grader who plays baseball 11 months a year (and this spring is on 2 teams and will play 40 games from March - May including tournaments) that at this point in his baseball career building strength is the key. My son works out 3x a week for 1 hour plus and his arm strength and hitting power has increased dramatically. Coach Birm is a hitting guru (batting coach for Team USA 6x and the Lobos led the country 2 years ago in hitting) and the Lobos should be a top 20 team this year with very few seniors. So I'm sure his advice applies to many other youth sports as well.

My 14 yo duaghter is on her 2nd year of a private hiting coach, has had personal kobata fielding training, and has had some speed and agility classes (need to get her in more of these). If your kid is playing tournament level A ball in any sport they have to have private coaches now a days.

My 14 yo duaghter is on her 2nd year of a private hiting coach, has had personal kobata fielding training, and has had some speed and agility classes (need to get her in more of these). If your kid is playing tournament level A ball in any sport they have to have private coaches now a days.

very true - as they progress, they reach points where their technique will need to progress / transform - either because it is necessary in order to climb to the next level of evolution of their game - or because they grow and their physiology requires an adaptation. Often the transformations that are needed are not intuitive ... not simply "try harder" / "go faster" and it is important that the guidance of a skilled & well informed coach be provided. A rec league coach / school coach may not be well versed in the finer points & even if they are - they may not have adequate time to do a one-on-one instruction needed to properly set a technique change in place.
Yes, a 'professional private trainer' might seem like a way to climb to new heights - but it also may be the way to learn how to reach for a best performance without unwittingly inflicting injury.

Paying for personal trainers for your kids?

I believe in capitalism and trickle down economics. No poor man offered me a job. But this is a joke. What a waste of money. Spend quality time with your kids. They'll be better off in life.

(But the world is passing me by.)

I have to tell you, too many coaches try to reinvent the game that's been taught for 100 years. I was taught and coached that the glove points the way, and this kobata method has the player flying open, so maybe you get the throw off quicker, but I don't believe with as much on the throw. I don't like it, and would reteach the player the glove points the way technique.

Reactions: KnightsofChrome
Get yourself a box of bottle caps and cut a broom stick down to size, stand 20 feet away and toss them to her, when she can hit those caps with a toss, add a little steam, if she can hit those you've saved yourself 1000s of dollars worth of hitting lessons.
If you have a coach teaching your kid to lead with the elbow and throw your body open God bless you.

Last edited:
very true - as they progress, they reach points where their technique will need to progress / transform - either because it is necessary in order to climb to the next level of evolution of their game - or because they grow and their physiology requires an adaptation. Often the transformations that are needed are not intuitive ... not simply "try harder" / "go faster" and it is important that the guidance of a skilled & well informed coach be provided. A rec league coach / school coach may not be well versed in the finer points & even if they are - they may not have adequate time to do a one-on-one instruction needed to properly set a technique change in place.
Yes, a 'professional private trainer' might seem like a way to climb to new heights - but it also may be the way to learn how to reach for a best performance without unwittingly inflicting injury.
If your kids are good athletes and have that gifted hand and eye coordination you CAN'T TEACH, you'll know because they'll play up, playing up is better than any individual instruction in any sport.

Reactions: KnightsofChrome
I'd not get that excited about a guy who couldn't make a bottom of the barrel D-2 program.

UNM Lobo Baseball Coach Ray Birmingham told my 13 year old 7th grader who plays baseball 11 months a year (and this spring is on 2 teams and will play 40 games from March - May including tournaments) that at this point in his baseball career building strength is the key. My son works out 3x a week for 1 hour plus and his arm strength and hitting power has increased dramatically. Coach Birm is a hitting guru (batting coach for Team USA 6x and the Lobos led the country 2 years ago in hitting) and the Lobos should be a top 20 team this year with very few seniors. So I'm sure his advice applies to many other youth sports as well.
That's great, as long as you don't mind you're son having Tommy John surgery by the time he is 22.

Get yourself a box of bottle caps and cut a broom stick down to size, stand 20 feet away and toss them to her, when she can hit those caps with a toss, add a little steam, if she can hit those you've saved yourself 1000s of dollars worth of hitting lessons.
If you have a coach teaching your kid to lead with the elbow and throw your body open God bless you.
+100000,000000 On the money Zap! Don't overthink it Ohio. Also, a good game of stickball against a wall, will help with hand eye coordination, even Ping Pong. Save the money.

Daughters team just won a ASA qualifier this past weekend. She led the team in hitting with a 600 average for the tournament, we are happy with her hitting instructor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT