ADVERTISEMENT

NJ HS Football starts with Week Zero August 25th.

Week zero is being used if you want to play 9 regular season games and those games are to be played around August 25th. I would say roughly 50% of the teams opted in for a 9th game with the rest starting week 1 which starts Thursday August 31st and continues on Friday and Saturday 9/1 & 9/2.

Week zero is being used if you want to play 9 regular season games and those games are to be played around August 25th. I would say roughly 50% of the teams opted in for a 9th game with the rest starting week 1 which starts Thursday August 31st and continues on Friday and Saturday 9/1 & 9/2.
Yup. Where do you coach at? Im pumped to get out to a bunch of games this year and check out some new teams. Every Friday I hit a HS game and then saturday is RU for me

2 additional weeks of ball? Sign me up. My soph junior and senior year we went a combined 31-4, went to 3 sectional title games and won 2 of them frankly we were bored. We pasted teams, we had very few teams actually stay in games with us. If we couldve scheduled a week zero game vs a south jersey power (we were north jersey) and then got 2 additional games after winning sectionals theres not a single kid who wouldnt sign up for it
I bet all those guys being "pasted" by you and yours would have just loved enduring 2 weeks more of drills in tropical heat and having no summer vacation to accommodate your need for another glory day.

You realize that NOBODY outside of your small circle gives a sh!t about your (or my) H.S. football success right? Had you won 2 more football games they (and me) would have 2 more things to not care about.

Tone deaf doesn't even begin to describe your post.

• Haha
Reactions: tico brown
I bet all those guys being "pasted" by you and yours would have just loved enduring 2 weeks more of drills in tropical heat and having no summer vacation to accommodate your need for another glory day.

You realize that NOBODY outside of your small circle gives a sh!t about your (or my) H.S. football success right? Had you won 2 more football games they (and me) would have 2 more things to not care about.

Tone deaf doesn't even begin to describe your post.
Dumb post by you imo. You realize that kids enjoy being around their friends and in the locker room right? You realize that outside of your bubble majority of kids familys dont have the funds to just be on endless vacation right? You realize for the inner city kid ball is a way to keep them out of trouble and off the street right? Talk about being fvcking tone deaf and living in a bubble. My lord.

And if you polled the kids itd be nearly 100% of them wanting more games, not less. 100% wanted the expanded playoff.

Tone deaf by you here.

Dumb post by you imo. You realize that kids enjoy being around their friends and in the locker room right? You realize that outside of your bubble majority of kids familys dont have the funds to just be on endless vacation right? You realize for the inner city kid ball is a way to keep them out of trouble and off the street right? Talk about being fvcking tone deaf and living in a bubble. My lord.

And if you polled the kids itd be nearly 100% of them wanting more games, not less. 100% wanted the expanded playoff.

Tone deaf by you here.
👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Thanks for explaining this to someone who wanted to keep everything in the 1970s.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
High school teams have always been able to practice all summer. It's non mandatory. Nothing counts until the NJSIAA practice starts date of August 8th or 9th (can't remember the date this year). There are also now double zero and week zero games. Same as last year.

None of this is new.
I think I remember back in the Sixties there were no official practices until September 1st. I guess we're lucky that summers have cooled down so much since then so they've changed the rule.

Tone deaf by you here.
Funny how your concern for those "inner city kids" wasn't in your original post. Guess you had to find something that doesn't come off as selfish.

I laughed at your insinuation that I had some sort of priveliged upbringing. You have no clue. Growing up I was one who had no extra $ for extravagance. Summer vacation (from school) was the greatest part of the year for me and my friends. There is more to life than football (or any sport) my friend.

My participation in this thread was about my concern for the health of the players which I have been part of protecting for decades. What will be the human cost of 2 more games for power programs to show how powerful they are? Is it worth it?

We have 12 year olds getting Tommy John surgery and an alarming number of young athletes dropping dead from coronary events. Is that making the world better? I would argue no.

But..but.. We'll know who has the biggest dick in H.S. football !!
SMFH

Funny how your concern for those "inner city kids" wasn't in your original post. Guess you had to find something that doesn't come off as selfish.

I laughed at your insinuation that I had some sort of priveliged upbringing. You have no clue. Growing up I was one who had no extra $ for extravagance. Summer vacation (from school) was the greatest part of the year for me and my friends. There is more to life than football (or any sport) my friend.

My participation in this thread was about my concern for the health of the players which I have been part of protecting for decades. What will be the human cost of 2 more games for power programs to show how powerful they are? Is it worth it?

We have 12 year olds getting Tommy John surgery and an alarming number of young athletes dropping dead from coronary events. Is that making the world better? I would argue no.

But..but.. We'll know who has the biggest dick in H.S. football !!
SMFH
Concern for the health of the players? LOL. Theyre 15-18 year old kids. Playing 2 extra game isnt effecting their health.

Part of summer vacation is sports. You dont just sit on a couch and watch tv.

2 a days were a great time for us. We loved them. Morning practice with teammates/friends, lunch and dicking around with friends, afternoon practice with friends, night time hanging out at a friends house with a pool with the field hockey and soccer girls, then do it all over again the next day. Your “concerns” are laughable.

Significantly less kids today are dying from the heat than were decades ago. Gassers are a thing of the past.

You take a very large L here

Reactions: vkj91
Concern for the health of the players? LOL. Theyre 15-18 year old kids. Playing 2 extra game isnt effecting their health.

2 a days were a great time for us. We loved them. Morning practice with teammates/friends, lunch and dicking around with friends, afternoon practice with friends, night time hanging out at a friends house with a pool with the field hockey and soccer girls, then do it all over again the next day. Your “concerns” are laughable.

Significantly less kids today are dying from the heat than were decades ago. Gassers are a thing of the past.

You "loved" 2 a days? Your practices must have been very different than mine.

You "loved" 2 a days? Your practices must have been very different than mine.
They were hard practices, hard work. But it built camaraderie. It was rewarding work. And we went there every summer with the same mentality we either win it all or we fail.

I have fond memories of my high school football days, but NONE of them involve 2 a days. I was so happy when Labor Day was the first few days of September because that would limit the number of 2 a days with school starting just two days later.

Reactions: Kbee3
Concern for the health of the players? LOL. Theyre 15-18 year old kids.
Odd that you find this funny. Their well being is of no concern to you?
Nice straw man. Never said otherwise. I and every one of my friends was non stop all summer. Jobs, sports and all sorts of crazy activities.
Your “concerns” are laughable.

Ever wonder why that number is significantly less? Because "concerned" people like me pumped the brakes on idiot coaches for "decades".
There are many families that are minus a member that would probably disagree.

It should go without saying that affirmation from you is irrelevant to me. I give less than a shit what u think.

Funny thing is, we have agreed on many issues in the past. Not getting your hostility to looking out for H.S. kids. If you think it isn't necessary, you are sadly mistaken.

Great for those who will get full rides. Not so good for those who want to have summer jobs to save some money.
Not entirely true but depends on the town. My town’s HS starts practice at like 630am. Practice and lift and still home before most teenagers are rolling out of bed. I know many parochials practice at night because their staffs don’t all work in schools. So they can work as well.

Week zero has been around for a while now. Yes many high school games begin in August now. This is because they wanted to expand the playoffs, but not run into the winter season. Week double zero is beginning also.

Nothing is run by players anymore. This would be massive liability on someone. Summer weight room, summer practices, summer conditioning is all run by the staff. It is a massive commitment by the players and coach, but if you are not doing it you are behind.

We would have the entire base packages installed for football going into day one of practice. If you did not come all summer you better be an absolute stud or you were never getting a look.
Why don’t they let coaches at all the 7 v7’s. That never made sense to me.

Odd that you find this funny. Their well being is of no concern to you?

Nice straw man. Never said otherwise. I and every one of my friends was non stop all summer. Jobs, sports and all sorts of crazy activities.

Ever wonder why that number is significantly less? Because "concerned" people like me pumped the brakes on idiot coaches for "decades".

There are many families that are minus a member that would probably disagree.

It should go without saying that affirmation from you is irrelevant to me. I give less than a shit what u think.

Funny thing is, we have agreed on many issues in the past. Not getting your hostility to looking out for H.S. kids. If you think it isn't necessary, you are sadly mistaken.
This is just an awful take. One of the all time worst in this board. You are quite literally taking the stance that kids are playing too much. Why not advocate for just an 8 game season and no playoffs even there? While were at it, why dont we just do away with contact and make it flag football.

Youre so out of touch here and the crazy thing is you genuinely dont believe you are. If you polled current hs football players on your stance vs mine 99%+ are agreeing with me. Kids dont sign up to play football and then hope to play less games

This is just an awful take. One of the all time worst in this board. You are quite literally taking the stance that kids are playing too much. Why not advocate for just an 8 game season and no playoffs even there? While were at it, why dont we just do away with contact and make it flag football.

Youre so out of touch here and the crazy thing is you genuinely dont believe you are. If you polled current hs football players on your stance vs mine 99%+ are agreeing with me. Kids dont sign up to play football and then hope to play less games
It’s a good thing he doesn’t get to see my daughters club soccer schedules. He might have a heart attack. Lol

Or cheerleading schedules.
And they say that Football Coaches are psychotic.
In the last 8 week span I will have been in
Texas x2
Philly X3
Indiana
St. Louis
Mississippi
Michigan
Florida
South Carolina

In the last 8 week span I will have been in
Texas x2
Philly X3
Indiana
St. Louis
Mississippi
Michigan
Florida
South Carolina
My nephew is in Texas right now with his 11 year old son. To me, it's a money grab as they take kids willing to pay even if they don't play. Those that have been on the team get passed over by other kids just joining to travel somewhere new and then dump them for another team. This is baseball I'm talking about now and it's insane how much my nephew has poured into this. Maybe if it was a town team with kids he'd grow up with and go to HS with but nope, just these pop up travel teams some kids across the NY border and coaches looking anywhere to fill a roster to keep cost down. So yes, I can only imagine the money and time you are putting into this vkj91.

My nephew is in Texas right now with his 11 year old son. To me, it's a money grab as they take kids willing to pay even if they don't play. Those that have been on the team get passed over by other kids just joining to travel somewhere new and then dump them for another team. This is baseball I'm talking about now and it's insane how much my nephew has poured into this. Maybe if it was a town team with kids he'd grow up with and go to HS with but nope, just these pop up travel teams some kids across the NY border and coaches looking anywhere to fill a roster to keep cost down. So yes, I can only imagine the money and time you are putting into this vkj91.
They’re a definitely money grab clubs but I’d your nephew wants to play college baseball he needs to play club. HS baseball means nothing. My nephew is one of the better players in the state and very rarely did college coaches come to games.
The soccer my girl ls play at is a whole different level. These are are clubs that eventually fill the national teams. My oldest daughters club had 21 girls on the roster. 19 going D1. One D2 and the one going D3 chose that route because it’s a top academic school. So in my case, money well spent. My younger daughter will most likely go P5

Why don’t they let coaches at all the 7 v7’s. That never made sense to me.
In the summer coaches can go to anything. In NJ out of season coaches can only attend lifting, conditioning, or other sport activities. So a football coach could not supervise a QB throwing to his WRs running routes, with a football, during the winter or spring, or a lacrosse coach can not supervise kids playing catch in lacrosse during the fall or winter.

Coaches can attend events their players are at, if fans are present, but can not actively coach in the sport.

For example I would watch my kids play winter league lacrosse, but would have to have an alumni on the side line coaching them.

When I coached high school football we had a place for footballs to be out in the weight room, but could not tell kids to throw with them.

In the summer coaches can go to anything. In NJ out of season coaches can only attend lifting, conditioning, or other sport activities. So a football coach could not supervise a QB throwing to his WRs running routes, with a football, during the winter or spring, or a lacrosse coach can not supervise kids playing catch in lacrosse during the fall or winter.

Coaches can attend events their players are at, if fans are present, but can not actively coach in the sport.

For example I would watch my kids play winter league lacrosse, but would have to have an alumni on the side line coaching them.

When I coached high school football we had a place for footballs to be out in the weight room, but could not tell kids to throw with them.
We did a 7 on 7 earlier this year. Dads had to coach but coaches could be on premise but couldn’t interact with players. Want to say it was late may into early June. Maybe even April into may

Reactions: gef21
We did a 7 on 7 earlier this year. Dads had to coach but coaches could be on premise but couldn’t interact with players. Want to say it was late may into early June. Maybe even April into may
If it was before the meet of champions football coaches would be unable to coach their players in the act of football.

Every year I watch my lacrosse team play winter league lacrosse against PA teams with full PA staffs on the sideline. It is an antiquated rule that NJ needs to fix.

Reactions: vkj91
They’re a definitely money grab clubs but I’d your nephew wants to play college baseball he needs to play club. HS baseball means nothing. My nephew is one of the better players in the state and very rarely did college coaches come to games.
The soccer my girl ls play at is a whole different level. These are are clubs that eventually fill the national teams. My oldest daughters club had 21 girls on the roster. 19 going D1. One D2 and the one going D3 chose that route because it’s a top academic school. So in my case, money well spent. My younger daughter will most likely go P5
That's extremely impressive to say the least with the clubs they play on and their talent level. Job well done pops!

I'm not entirely against kids playing year round if they choose. It's the added practice in ridiculous July heat that's the issue. And again, to gain what? You think it's worth it. I don't. That's all. I don't get your passion against my take. Just agree to disagree FFS. Call me what you want. I don't GAF.

Maybe in your rich people circles there are graduate degree trainers who will mitigate any problems. There are a ton of programs that are exactly opposite that.

Those comparing their kid's long, crazy soccer and baseball schedules are comparing apples and oranges. Put full football equipment on your kid and get back to me.

I thank God every day none of my kids got into the travel versions of any sport. God bless all of you on that treadmill. Except for the elite kids honing their skills, the whole travel team operation is a money shakedown. Including the biggest offender cheerleading.

Main reality is that most places don't have those things unfortunately.

As a coach I always took every precaution in oppressive weather (no equipment/helmets, extra breaks and water etc.). But, I have been at many facilities as an admin where folks were business as usual and had to tell them no bueno.

I pray I'm wrong about things to come.
Yeah the school I was at wasn’t exactly the type of school that gets everything on a silver platter. We were lucky that coaches chipped in and brought what was needed to make sure the kids were prepared or helped the kids in any way, even in emergencies. And yes we took all of the precautions you described.

Also the public school who practiced on the same field as us also had their own trainer with the right equipment and took their own precautions for the safety of their kids. And unlike the hood old days, coaches will get fired and maybe even have charges against him if he tried to coach like it was 1990 or whatever.

I'm not entirely against kids playing year round if they choose. It's the added practice in ridiculous July heat that's the issue. And again, to gain what? You think it's worth it. I don't. That's all. I don't get your passion against my take. Just agree to disagree FFS. Call me what you want. I don't GAF.

Maybe in your rich people circles there are graduate degree trainers who will mitigate any problems. There are a ton of programs that are exactly opposite that.

Those comparing their kid's long, crazy soccer and baseball schedules are comparing apples and oranges. Put full football equipment on your kid and get back to me.

I thank God every day none of my kids got into the travel versions of any sport. God bless all of you on that treadmill. Except for the elite kids honing their skills, the whole travel team operation is a money shakedown. Including the biggest offender cheerleading.
I think part of the disconnect is you are just talking without really knowing what you are talking about. Nobody is wearing full pads in June and July. Nobody is going “live”. For the most part, It’s helmets only until august. But you are right, it is apples to oranges. My daughters club practices and schedule is way more brutal than HS football in June and July.
Also, the wet bulb has changed the game. If that buzzer goes off practice is done. That’s why so many practice early early am.

I think part of the disconnect is you are just talking without really knowing what you are talking about. Nobody is wearing full pads in June and July. Nobody is going “live”. For the most part, It’s helmets only until august. But you are right, it is apples to oranges. My daughters club practices and schedule is way more brutal than HS football in June and July.
Also, the wet bulb has changed the game. If that buzzer goes off practice is done. That’s why so many practice early early am.
Yup. And most Board of Ed’s have no problem replacing HCs who ignores those buzzers because of lawsuits.

School district was on strike, coaches included. In August, captains said to players and hopers, show up at the beach. We showed up.

About 30 minutes in, what a coincidence. Coach carrying an umbrella and a cooler, young girlfriend on his arm, enjoyed a beach day right next to the captains' run.

They have starting earlier in other states for years. Come on "HOT" places like Florida, Texas, North Carolina , Louisiana etc use to have tow sometimes three games in before Jersey started. Even PA started two weeks earlier than NJ. You also have theses "Showcases" in Ocean City, Rumble on the Raritan etc.....They are in mid August and those are full fledge games.....I don't think Rutgers is running one this year but they had them the last two years

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT