ADVERTISEMENT

NJ Vinny Depalma to BC..

BlockR

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 28, 2015
over RU..actually RU finished third behind Navy..:flushed:
http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news...-boston-college-over-navy-rutgers-and-others/

"I just feel like when I went up there, they talked about you'll be with like-minded people as far as the culture of the program and me myself," he said. "We are like-minded in the fact that we want to play great defense, we want to tackle, we want to do all the little things right. And that's why I felt the most comfortable up there."

But which school was closest on BC's heals?

"To be honest, towards the end, it probably came down to Boston College and Navy," DePalma said. "So the last couple weeks, that's who I was kind of sorting it out between. And I decided on Boston College."

Hometown Rutgers was also in the mix, despite missing out on DePalma in the end.

"They were definitely in the top five," he said. "Going into the evaluation period, they were right in the mix. And I didn't write them off or anything. But when I started narrowing it down, I just settled on Boston College and Navy.

over RU..actually RU finished third behind Navy..:flushed:
http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news...-boston-college-over-navy-rutgers-and-others/

"I just feel like when I went up there, they talked about you'll be with like-minded people as far as the culture of the program and me myself," he said. "We are like-minded in the fact that we want to play great defense, we want to tackle, we want to do all the little things right. And that's why I felt the most comfortable up there."

But which school was closest on BC's heals?

"To be honest, towards the end, it probably came down to Boston College and Navy," DePalma said. "So the last couple weeks, that's who I was kind of sorting it out between. And I decided on Boston College."

Hometown Rutgers was also in the mix, despite missing out on DePalma in the end.

"They were definitely in the top five," he said. "Going into the evaluation period, they were right in the mix. And I didn't write them off or anything. But when I started narrowing it down, I just settled on Boston College and Navy.

"We are like-minded in the fact that we want to play great defense, we want to tackle, we want to do all the little things right. And that's why I felt the most comfortable up there."

Damn Coach Ash for not wanting to play great defense, not wanting to tackle, and not wanting to do all the little things right. We are so screwed.

Who started the worst case scenario and we are so screwed thing? They were serious comments at one time I'm assuming?

the combination of Flood and last season was catastrophic to recruiting. There is no reason why we shouldn't have a recruiting class on par with Maryland. Now we're losing recuits to BC. Even though BC had a cupcake schedule, they went 7-6, we went 2-10. They actually beat Maryland. Also the last time we were good, BC was really good too. Some posters like to pretend that we're so much better than schools like BC, Maryland and Syracuse. We're not.

I don't think the sky is falling yet. We always lost north jersey prep school school kids like Depalma to BC.

the combination of Flood and last season was catastrophic to recruiting. There is no reason why we shouldn't have a recruiting class on par with Maryland. Now we're losing recuits to BC. Even though BC had a cupcake schedule, they went 7-6, we went 2-10. They actually beat Maryland. Also the last time we were good, BC was really good too. Some posters like to pretend that we're so much better than schools like BC, Maryland and Syracuse. We're not.

I don't think the sky is falling yet. We always lost north jersey prep school school kids like Depalma to BC.

Rutgers was certainly positioned above BC and Cuse at one point. Opportunity squandered. This commit is not a surprise though. His recruitment has been well documented for a long time.

I'll start worrying about BC/ND recruiting in Jersey when they start mining public school programs.
I think for the 2016-17 classes and so far in the 18 one BC got 1 public school program recruit, one private (Peddie) and 7 Catholic School kids.
Though in 2015 BC did get 2 NJ public school recruits, I feel that was an exception to the rule instead of them being a player when it comes to the NJ HS public school FB programs.

Players from the Catholic School programs look too ND nd BC before they look at RU (back-up school) and probably the traditional powers before RU as well.
Ash needs to make sure the B1G don't invade NJ public school scene and accept that the NJ Catholic School players will look elsewhere first, until he can prove to their coaches that he's building a winner at Rutgers.

No disrespect intended, but he was a plan B kid for us. I'm very alarmed by our recruiting this year, but not by "losing" players like DePalma and Stewart we didn't want. More that it creates a negative perception, and I wouldn't be surprised if we lose out on our plan As, and the plan Bs we could have gotten now are better than the plan Cs. But for now, not a loss.

guess all the Jersey kids didnt get the memo that the BC coach will get fired? LOL

No disrespect intended, but he was a plan B kid for us. I'm very alarmed by our recruiting this year, but not by "losing" players like DePalma and Stewart we didn't want. More that it creates a negative perception, and I wouldn't be surprised if we lose out on our plan As, and the plan Bs we could have gotten now are better than the plan Cs. But for now, not a loss.

I would agree but add that the "negative perception" you're speaking of is manufactured by people having no clue. Most of the time media is guessing based on information from the kid how involved a school really is - posting articles saying "x recruit chooses BC over Rutgers and Navy" never tells the really story - but our local papers love that narrative.

Think about it. These kids with top 15s with all mid level ACC/BIG schools and out of place 1 or 2 power house programs never commit to a headline "x chooses BC over Ohio St".

The fact is north east college football beat writers with VERY limited contacts in the field are guessing interest levels much of the time. But they became beat writers in the first place for the power to control a narrative. Following in line, many average fans or posters, especially those who don't pay for premium content (but not always), read it and think Navy would out recruit Rutgers and the sky is falling.

It's just not the case. The fans create the culture and our fan base is good at hurting it's development. 3 months after our coach recruits our best class in 5 years and about 5th best ever fans are thinking he's already failed. It would be laughable if not got realizing people are really that dumb.

I would agree but add that the "negative perception" you're speaking of is manufactured by people having no clue. Most of the time media is guessing based on information from the kid how involved a school really is - posting articles saying "x recruit chooses BC over Rutgers and Navy" never tells the really story - but our local papers love that narrative.

Think about it. These kids with top 15s with all mid level ACC/BIG schools and out of place 1 or 2 power house programs never commit to a headline "x chooses BC over Ohio St".

The fact is north east college football beat writers with VERY limited contacts in the field are guessing interest levels much of the time. But they became beat writers in the first place for the power to control a narrative. Following in line, many average fans or posters, especially those who don't pay for premium content (but not always), read it and think Navy would out recruit Rutgers and the sky is falling.

It's just not the case. The fans create the culture and our fan base is good at hurting it's development. 3 months after our coach recruits our best class in 5 years and about 5th best ever fans are thinking he's already failed. It would be laughable if not got realizing people are really that dumb.

Who are these people?

Reactions: mildone
Rutgers was certainly positioned above BC and Cuse at one point. Opportunity squandered. This commit is not a surprise though. His recruitment has been well documented for a long time.

This.
We are unfortunately in the rear view mirror now of BC and Cuse.
Sad but true. Time for a Recruiter with local ties.

Reactions: BlockR and RUaMoose
I read another site, other players are higher up on the board.

I don't buy into this plan A-B-C kid. We're not in a position to thumb our noses up at any kid right now. A 6' 225lbs kid who's willing to put in a 100% is a kid you want on your team.

Lacewell is a kid who could commit to Ru who should be a linebacker.

While Kill is 10x the coach DM was, losing young dudes like DM, Kuhr and Henry may be hurting us for the short term when it comes to recruiting. Perhaps they were all damaged goods anyway given the on field performance last year but who right now on the current staff is thought to be a strong recruiter. Blazek? At one point I heard Burnham had good connections in Florida but I don't see alot of productivity on that front.

Reactions: CCvNYC and madchuck
No, but 9 of the Top 20 NJ Recruits of the 2018 Class were and they all committed to elsewhere already.
We have zero of the Top 20 for next year. Need to change this now.
I never got excited over that narrative when the other guy was coach, and I will not now. We have a small recruiting class for 2018. What if most of the kids in the top 20 are not a fit for what Ash is looking for, or if there are better targets outside of NJ? I would not fixate on this goal every single year.

And "Need to change this now." How? 2-10 isn't going to change many minds now. I'm not trying to argue with you--just trying to point out we as fans need to accept where we are right now, and hope we produce on the field to get some flips, or else we will get recruits from other states.

LOI day is over 2 months after the season is done. Show strong improvement and you'll see kids committing big time even some flipping to RU from other P5 schools. 6 wins would do it for sure. Even 4 wins would produce a top 35 class. Kids want to see improvement.

This.
We are unfortunately in the rear view mirror now of BC and Cuse.
Sad but true. Time for a Recruiter with local ties.
How many months are you guys going to ignore the fact that our most recent hire grew up in Paterson and went to Eastside? Oh, and he's very popular with NJ coaches.
Vinny was never coming to RU regardless of where he was on Ash's board. He was always a lock for smaller academic school

How many months are you guys going to ignore the fact that our most recent hire grew up in Paterson and went to Eastside? Oh, and he's very popular with NJ coaches.
Vinny was never coming to RU regardless of where he was on Ash's board. He was always a lock for smaller academic school

This narrative of "recruiting sucks cause we have mid western coaches" is going to be repeated again and again no matter what actually transpires with recruiting.

BC and Cuse passed us? BC and Cuse WISHED they had our recruits last year. What about this year you say? It's a small class, we're being picky. Many kids are on a wait and see mode. Many of our prime targets are still available, AND with whom we are actually in pretty good shape with. LET ME REPEAT THAT FOR THE SLOW ONES - MANY OF THE PLAN A KIDS WE ARE STILL IN GOOD SHAPE WITH.

But no matter how many times this is explained, the same nonsense is repeated over and over again. Need a local recruiter. BC passed us. Maryland passed us, Cuse passed us. Woe is to us. We're never gonna be good. Bring back Schiano. Should have hired Golden. Blah blah blah blah blah ........

I never got excited over that narrative when the other guy was coach, and I will not now. We have a small recruiting class for 2018. What if most of the kids in the top 20 are not a fit for what Ash is looking for, or if there are better targets outside of NJ? I would not fixate on this goal every single year.

And "Need to change this now." How? 2-10 isn't going to change many minds now. I'm not trying to argue with you--just trying to point out we as fans need to accept where we are right now, and hope we produce on the field to get some flips, or else we will get recruits from other states.

Not a fit for what Ash is looking for ? They all had Offers and passed on RU.
Getting a Coach on Staff with local ties is a must or the mass exodus will most likely continue IMO.

Reactions: madchuck
Getting a Coach on Staff with local ties is a must or the mass exodus will most likely continue IMO.
Ignoring my post? Well done

Respectfully disagree. See the posts above--particularly Baker--who has deep ties to NJ. I will reserve judgment on the staff's recruiting ability until signing day

Last edited:
Reactions: vkj91
It's a no win situation.
Right now there's the moaning and groaning about the lack of recruits for the class of 2018.
Once they start committing: the whining and crying about other schools offering them will start and every Chicken little one of them will be posting about decommits falling from the sky.

After a 2-10 season following the self destruction the previous year the RU FB program had, no one shouldn't expect to see the better HS talent ( NJ or nation) flocking to Rutgers until Ash shows he's capable of making RU a competitive team when the play the best, indication he might just have the Chops to make RU FB a top B1G East program.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
This narrative of "recruiting sucks cause we have mid western coaches" is going to be repeated again and again no matter what actually transpires with recruiting.

BC and Cuse passed us? BC and Cuse WISHED they had our recruits last year. What about this year you say? It's a small class, we're being picky. Many kids are on a wait and see mode. Many of our prime targets are still available, AND with whom we are actually in pretty good shape with. LET ME REPEAT THAT FOR THE SLOW ONES - MANY OF THE PLAN A KIDS WE ARE STILL IN GOOD SHAPE WITH.

But no matter how many times this is explained, the same nonsense is repeated over and over again. Need a local recruiter. BC passed us. Maryland passed us, Cuse passed us. Woe is to us. We're never gonna be good. Bring back Schiano. Should have hired Golden. Blah blah blah blah blah ........
Maryland has long since passed RU in recruiting..
Baker has not shown any NJ significant impact in recruiting to date.

Last edited:
Maryland has long since passed RU in recruiting..
Baker has not shown any NJ significant impact in recruiting to date.

I think 2-10 has more to do with it than "we're being picky. The board loves every kid who commits and says we never really wanted any kid who goes elsewhere. It's ridiculous.

We are
dr-doom-fantastic-four-1967-1.6.jpg

There is a top 40 list of prospects. If 9 go to Ru that means 31 are going elsewhere. Sorry just don't get the moaning and groaning. We are not getting a lot of these kids.

Reactions: Knight Shift
There is a top 40 list of prospects. If 9 go to Ru that means 31 are going elsewhere. Sorry just don't get the moaning and groaning. We are not getting a lot of these kids.
With 85 schollies over, say 4.5 classes.. we need 18-19 recruits per class.

The programs we need to compete with might get 9 of their state's top 40 as you point out.. but much of the other ten will be from other states' top 40s.

We do have a disadvantage here with such an unbalanced situation with parochial schools recruiting and general lack of state pride and a media who generally wants to sell the idea that Rutgers should not be in the Big Ten. So any coach here has hurdles in recruiting. We need to get over those hurdles.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
With 85 schollies over, say 4.5 classes.. we need 18-19 recruits per class.

The programs we need to compete with might get 9 of their state's top 40 as you point out.. but much of the other ten will be from other states' top 40s.

We do have a disadvantage here with such an unbalanced situation with parochial schools recruiting and general lack of state pride and a media who generally wants to sell the idea that Rutgers should not be in the Big Ten. So any coach here has hurdles in recruiting. We need to get over those hurdles.

In a typical year, you usually have about 17-20 kids graduating. Add the normal attrition rate of transfers and available ships for a given recruiting year nets you anywhere from 23-26.

There are currently 13 or so graduating scholarship seniors on the team. With a normal attrition rate, expect the available ships to be around 16-18 or so - actually could be even less if some of the walk-ons prove themselves worthy of ships.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT