ADVERTISEMENT

No. 12 Rutgers Wrestling Faces No. 16 Wisconsin Sunday in Madison / Match Thread

this one is going to be close and on paper I see Wisconsin as a slight favorite. Without Alvarez (didn't make weight) Wisconsin is ranked higher in 6 of the 10 bouts and were on the road. Real excited to see Joey Olivieri today. RU is pulling his RS...Let's Go RU....RU 18 Cheese 15

Why are they pulling Olivieri’s redshirt? Seems kind of short sighted. It’s not like he’s going to be wrestling in major tournaments unless there are some concerns about Alvarez’s health.

this one is going to be close and on paper I see Wisconsin as a slight favorite. Without Alvarez (didn't make weight) Wisconsin is ranked higher in 6 of the 10 bouts and were on the road. Real excited to see Joey Olivieri today. RU is pulling his RS...Let's Go RU....RU 18 Cheese 15
Wow, didn’t expect them to pull his redshirt which means there might be some long term concerns with Sammy which would be a shame.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Why are they pulling Olivieri’s redshirt? Seems kind of short sighted. It’s not like he’s going to be wrestling in major tournaments unless there are some concerns about Alvarez’s health.
Crap.. this makes no sense unless Alverez is going to be hurt for the year.. and can’t make nationals… no other reason to pull a RS for a dual only..😐

Sounds like Sammy weighed in but didn’t make weight. If he’s injured that bad that pull JO redshirt he wouldn’t have weighed in.

Or the weight cut got him again. Easy for everyone to say he can/should make weight......
For sure which is why i said it's another long term issue... I know it's not an easy cut but it sucks because there is no place for him in the current lineup other than to give Seabass a rest occasionally.

Unless they are gonna go wild and let Sammy go at 149 eventually and bump up MVB and Kanniard...

Sounds like Sammy weighed in but didn’t make weight. If he’s injured that bad that pull JO redshirt he wouldn’t have weighed in.
Not sure he weighed in at the dual. WNG knew last night Olivieri was wrestling, if I had to guess he needed to be a certain weight Friday or Saturday and did not make that weight. Just a guess on my part.

For sure which is why i said it's another long term issue... I know it's not an easy cut but it sucks because there is no place for him in the current lineup other than to give Seabass a rest occasionally.

Unless they are gonna go wild and let Sammy go at 149 eventually and bump up MVB and Kanniard...
No way is that happening!L

😲 very surprised to hear Olivieri is going. On the flip side, Sammy could be hurt much worse than we know, so that makes the weight cut and maintenance really impossible, even if he was trying to wrestle today or much later in the season. People don't understand how hard it is to cut and maintain.

Shawver gives up an immediate takedown once again. Can't start every match behind especially against top guys.

This drone camera view for a lot of the action is terrible. Also, it's a bit too dark for my liking in there. Now get off my lawn 🤣

How on gods green earth is going from the leg, out the backdoor and back to top position a stall?

Can't? He's wrestling #4 so I wouldn't be surprised if he does.
Can't meaning if we want to win this dual. We need to limit bonus points in the matches where we aren't favored to have a chance since it very well might be a 5-5 split. He definitely worked hard and fought back given how the match started.

Barnett is good but he's not #4. He lost on Friday as well so he will be dropping.

Reactions: Leonard23
Rutgers-Wisconsin wrestling is about to begin in Madison. Sammy Alvarez is out again today; it sounds like Rutgers may burn Joey Olivieri's redshirt at 133 pounds. Stay tuned. -- Kratch

It sounds like the staff is beating around the bush with Alvarez. Is he mentally in this game, or is she actually really hurt?

How was that not a TD and 4 backs? Olivieri had control, even if the other guy had his leg. Don't like that noncall

He should just go 149.. he already has the frame for it… and most cases I see wrestlers do better when they focus on just wrestling and not the cut… Ash had his best year when he went up weight.

Reactions: njsportsphan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT