ADVERTISEMENT

No. 14 Rutgers Wrestling Treks to No. 1 Penn State Monday Night

LOL stop. He isn’t close to AA and he is the backup at 165. Plus they said it on the broadcast that he weighed in at 160 tonight.
You’re wrong. I would say he’s a 90% AA at 157 and 70% at 165. He’s behind Messenbrink and Haines. Lost to Messenbrink 8-5 at Black Night. Pinned Caleb Fish, this year who is top 10

If he enters portal, someone going to be very happy to have him

LOL stop. He isn’t close to AA and he is the backup at 165. Plus they said it on the broadcast that he weighed in at 160 tonight.
Well even if bearclaw is the normal backup at 157.. fact still remains he pushed Griffith to a close loss up at 174 .. 🥲🥲

My son wrestled with a torn rib cage he sucked it up and wrestled. Plus 10 stitches above his eye. You gotta sucked it up and go.
Your son had guts. We could have used him tonight.

Don't worry folks will be destroy Maryland and finish with another sister from the poor in Bloomsburg. We have the potential to shut out teams like Duke, Cal Poly, Edinboro. Buffalo, Bloomsburg. But, do these teams really prepared us to compete against the top teams? Why schedule so many of them?

I hope there is some agreement that we need a big man coach. Maybe, Yara was ill tonight. Otherwise, how can an All American candidate lose to a back up who is 50 pounds lighter than him. He needs to get the feel of guys his size during practice.

If we don't get three All Americans, it's another year that we have underachieved. We clearly have kids with potential to AA. Hard to impressive future recruits with tonight's performance. Most of us think Goodale is a great guy. The NCAAs will determine if his coaching days have passed.

Really like the way Shawver and Cetta continue to compete.

People don’t understand Kerk is on another lvl to EVERYONE.. he TECHED the #2 wrestler in the all star match… Kerk was already amazing but he kept working on his craft and went up another lvl this year !!
He's also way bigger than everyone too

Your son had guts. We could have used him tonight.

Don't worry folks will be destroy Maryland and finish with another sister from the poor in Bloomsburg. We have the potential to shut out teams like Duke, Cal Poly, Edinboro. Buffalo, Bloomsburg. But, do these teams really prepared us to compete against the top teams? Why schedule so many of them?

I hope there is some agreement that we need a big man coach. Maybe, Yara was ill tonight. Otherwise, how can an All American candidate lose to a back up who is 50 pounds lighter than him. He needs to get the feel of guys his size during practice.

If we don't get three All Americans, it's another year that we have underachieved. We clearly have kids with potential to AA. Hard to impressive future recruits with tonight's performance. Most of us think Goodale is a great guy. The NCAAs will determine if his coaching days have passed.

Really like the way Shawver and Cetta continue to compete.
Yes We will destroy Maryland and Bloomsburg and I agree we have too many of these ez cake matches.. it’s good for building confidence building n stat padding though..

Yara losing to a backup 197er that should lose to Poz though is concerning.. I’ll watch the replay when I get home…

3 AA is a lot to ask for and I’m pretty sure you will be disappointed… unbiasedly, I’d probably set our AA line this year at 1 rn…maybe 1.5 just bc of how good Shawver has looked and this is probably what public will take.

Last edited:
Where are ppl getting this bear claw is 15 ibs lighter narrative??? He is backing up Cstar, whom wrestles at 174, and pushed Griffith in a close loss… if bearclaw wasn’t backing up Cstar he is a AA caliber wrestler….
He officially weighed in at 160 and wrestled 174.

Where are ppl getting this bear claw is 15 ibs lighter narrative??? He is backing up Cstar, whom wrestles at 174, and pushed Griffith in a close loss… if bearclaw wasn’t backing up Cstar he is a AA caliber wrestler….
PSU radio guy gets a copy of the weight sheets after weigh-ins. He reported that Barraclough weighed in at 160.

No replay available is total nonsense. Grab someone’s phone, sign into your streaming app, and rewind the feed. How the #1 team in the country can’t provide replay for a nationally televised match is embarrassing. I hope they get fined.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Initially, losing to the many backups last night got under my skin but let's keep things in perspective here. We are talking about backups to a team that is being talked about as the greatest of all time. Many of their backups would start on most teams around the country, including ours. Kasak was the backup to Van Ness and he is making plenty of waves at 49. So last night's results are disappointing but overall not surprising. The lower weights wrestled with grit and toughness. Dylan continues to amaze and showed me things I haven't seen from him before. Hermes wrestled much tougher than the other match I saw him in and almost took #1 into OT. He looked bigger and much more composed. Cetta gave up the first TD and that put him in the hole against a top 10ish wrestler. At that point, I thought I was going to see the first clunker of the year from him, but he kept fighting. 57' and 65'? Ummm, next. Turley came out strong but inexplicably couldn't escape from bottom for eternity. Barraclough had a death trap ride and Turley's best move was to reach back and try to shrug him off??? Yara was the biggest head scratcher and WTF match of the night. Anyone who watched and/or knows the circumstances should agree.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
No replay available is total nonsense. Grab someone’s phone, sign into your streaming app, and rewind the feed. How the #1 team in the country can’t provide replay for a nationally televised match is embarrassing. I hope they get fined.
The PSU SID indicated that there was technical difficulty with the replay. The first match was over by the time they got it working, and the rule is if it isn't available for one match, you can't use it for the others.

He (PSU) weighed in at 165 against Griffith and only lost 2-1...

Not having replay working for first match sucked for us and if other way around PSU would be whining and also calling us a 3rd world wrestling program for it. They come over here and ask why we wouldn't want to wrestle and test ourselves against the best if we sit our guys even being hurt or possibly sick we should be ashamed. It's laughable

Bill said Peterson still isn't healed from his injury and anyone know if this is different than "banged up"? Dylan, Hermes and Cetta came to compete and our two other weights we probably should have won looked like they were under the weather and gassed. I hope we can heal up for the BIG's as Turley looked like he was coming around and gaining confidence for the last month and Poz outside of a concussion has a WTF match then looks like last years model. I don't like the plateauing talk but we need some new blood in there.

Reactions: kupuna133
The PSU SID indicated that there was technical difficulty with the replay. The first match was over by the time they got it working, and the rule is if it isn't available for one match, you can't use it for the others.
I don’t think there was malicious intent but I don’t want to hear any excuses about technical difficulties. You’re the undisputed best and most lucrative program in the country. Figure it out. It cost our kid a match.

They said it on the broadcast that he weighed in at 160 lbs tonight
Shut the hell up ya frigging crybaby ...Griffith beat him 2-1 ...he ain't no slouch ..even backups at PSU are top 5 recruits in the country and could start anywhere else.....you act like the kid was a bumb...Iowa won 2 matches ..we won 1 and should had 2 ..Peterson was robbed despite some of you saying he needs to be replaced ... did u really expect us to win .....Yara was only disappointment ...the rest went as expected but yea keep asking for coaching change since we lost to the best team in the country ...

People don’t understand Kerk is on another lvl to EVERYONE.. he TECHED the #2 wrestler in the all star match… Kerk was already amazing but he kept working on his craft and went up another lvl this year !!
Kerk didn't even go tonite

I don’t think there was malicious intent but I don’t want to hear any excuses about technical difficulties. You’re the undisputed best and most lucrative program in the country. Figure it out. It cost our kid a match.
Agreed. There is no excuse for not having an operational review system. Anyone in the live event and tech space knows. You have redundancy on redundancy.

Shit I have run golf outings where I make sure to have multiple microphones , projectors and speakers (and do 3 dry runs Hahahah) available just to make sure I can announce the damn 50/50 and silent auction items.

Initially, losing to the many backups last night got under my skin but let's keep things in perspective here. We are talking about backups to a team that is being talked about as the greatest of all time. Many of their backups would start on most teams around the country, including ours. Kasak was the backup to Van Ness and he is making plenty of waves at 49. So last night's results are disappointing but overall not surprising. The lower weights wrestled with grit and toughness. Dylan continues to amaze and showed me things I haven't seen from him before. Hermes wrestled much tougher than the other match I saw him in and almost took #1 into OT. He looked bigger and much more composed. Cetta gave up the first TD and that put him in the hole against a top 10ish wrestler. At that point, I thought I was going to see the first clunker of the year from him, but he kept fighting. 57' and 65'? Ummm, next. Turley came out strong but inexplicably couldn't escape from bottom for eternity. Barraclough had a death trap ride and Turley's best move was to reach back and try to shrug him off??? Yara was the biggest head scratcher and WTF match of the night. Anyone who watched and/or knows the circumstances should agree.
Well said ....

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Watched the replay of the PSU/OSU Davis match this morning. Not only was it a take down but looks like Kilkeary should have had 2 backs.
Davis has gotten some VERY lucky calls at home. Kid looked like a douche, the way he kept his arm up and stared at Dean. Borderline taunting IMO. Someone is gonna take him out.

Davis has gotten some VERY lucky calls at home. Kid looked like a douche, the way he kept his arm up and stared at Dean. Borderline taunting IMO. Someone is gonna take him out.
When you have PSU fans saying there is something up with the calls and how Davis seems protected you know not all is right. Because they don’t ever go against the almighty.

Comments are insane. Especially from PSU fans that don’t agree

Reactions: njsportsphan
Just rewatched replay..

125- Peterson tried for a big move in first that got defended. Couple half shots in second.. third was spent mostly defending Davis shot..good defense by Peterson tho.. should that have been a TD by Peterson last 10s… at a minimum neutral danger call?? No replay.. what a joke… feels like Davis been getting lotta help from refs(last week vs Ohio st) have a feeling PSU 125 curse could catch up to them postseason.. just a feeling.. OT Davis hit the same slide by he hit on Ayala n wins..

133- good decision to take neutral in second by Shawver.. his scrambling abilities is also quite impressive.. would have liked to see him try to ride a little more though as each TD was with an immediate release.. 3:1 TD was the diff on the feet for Shawver.. Nagao is clearly dominant on top but wit new 3pt TD rules I have a feeling is with nagao’s decline.

141- Excellent match n gameplan for Hermes.. Bartlett usually wins tight matches n he needed last second TD for this win..

149- Was looking like a squash when Cetta was down 6-1.. got a reversal in second and forced two stall calls in third to push Kasak.. Cetta got heart and motor..

165- White was fairing pretty well w/ Mesenbrink till third.. then MM horsepower kicked in for tech.. so r we def sticking wit White or another shot w Gayer?

174- OK I heard ya guys bear claw weighed in 160.. really just thought he was backup at 174 since he wrestled Griffith to a 2-1 loss.. wonder if he will end up transferring out w/ PSU incoming class.. Turley was looking good w/ first takedown n then he couldn’t get off of bottom…

Hwt- Damn when I heard ppl complaining bout Yara’s bad loss I just assumed it was against Kerk… by just the eye test hard to believe Cochran was giving up 50 ibs…. Yara looks like hes 220ish…Cochran got the first td and in the third it looked like maybe Yara was going to get a td of his own but he ended up giving another td and thats all she wrote.. disappointing to say the least..

Takeaways from the match-
- Shawver is the real deal and our best wrestler rn
- Hermes and Walsh looked good and might be starters in the future
- Cetta got heart and motor
- Yara looking more r12 then AA

Hermes is a 133 pounder wrestling the #1 kid in the country to a 1-1 draw until the last 10 seconds. Yara works out with a terrific Russian every day who is world class for those who say we need a big man RTC

For anyone getting down on Yara, I’m pretty sure a couple years ago Bulsak had a couple head scratching losses around this time of year and he was still able to get it together at NCAAs.

Big 10 season is a grind

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT