ADVERTISEMENT

No. 15 Rutgers Wrestling Opens Season Friday with Cal Poly, Duke

More of the same from Turley. Not sure why he waits so long to get going and runs out of time more often than not.

Outside of Turley's lack of urgency again, I was very pleased with what I saw tonight. Poz and Yara are a hell of a duo at the top of the lineup and White finally may have closed a perpetual hole at 165 for us.
Looked pretty good. Need to clean up some match strategy stuff ie. working on top too long when nothing is happening and we are much better on our feet than the opponent.

Reactions: mikemessner
Looked pretty good. Need to clean up some match strategy stuff ie. working on top too long when nothing is happening and we are much better on our feet than the opponent.
This should be emphasized by every coach in the country. The take down/let him up game is +2 now instead of +1. If you’re the dominant neutral wrestler then 3 take downs and the match is 9-3.

Very excited to how Poz looked.
Surprised at how PHYSICAL Mitch Moore looked.
I can only imagine the wars between Moore and Seabass.

White looked good as well.
Va Tech will be the big test.

I know from my own competitive experiences and from coaching youth that your opponents allow you to look good or make you look bad. We need to see how they do against good competition.

Peterson seemed to slow up in the second, then was outwrestled in the third. He didn't look like what we've been told to expect. Need to see him against good competition.
Shawver seems comfortable with the new weight. I'm hoping to see him win >50% of his matches.
Moore did what I expected from what I've seen of his past matches. He's great at decapitating his opponent but should use his strength in other ways. If taught a good tilt, he could score eight additional points each match.
Butler I didn't get to see.
Clark I didn't get to see.
White looks better than I had expected for a guy going up two classes. We need to see him against a top-20 guy.
Turley was disappointing (again). I started plugging at the end of last season for him to stay in shape and start the season where he left off. It didn't happen, but he looked to have more in the 3rd than his starting point last year. I think we'll have to wait until the second half of the season for him to come along. I hope he stays healthy. Sad. I think he has/had greater potential than what he has shown.
Soldano looked like Soldano. Maybe he was confident enough with his competition to funk as much as he did. I think he would have been in trouble with top guys. Still, he's fun to watch, and I look forward to seeing more.
Poznanski does look solid. Again, we need to see how he does against a top-10 opponent. I see differences in his style. The guy he wrestled was up from 174 last year.
Yara-Slav looks solid and hopefully competitive with the top 10 guys.

The backup situation is not good at five weights or more. I hope the guys stay injury free.

V-Tech will be the real measure. I hope it doesn't become the annual WTF moment.

I know from my own competitive experiences and from coaching youth that your opponents allow you to look good or make you look bad. We need to see how they do against good competition.

Peterson seemed to slow up in the second, then was outwrestled in the third. He didn't look like what we've been told to expect. Need to see him against good competition.
Shawver seems comfortable with the new weight. I'm hoping to see him win >50% of his matches.
Moore did what I expected from what I've seen of his past matches. He's great at decapitating his opponent but should use his strength in other ways. If taught a good tilt, he could score eight additional points each match.
Butler I didn't get to see.
Clark I didn't get to see.
White looks better than I had expected for a guy going up two classes. We need to see him against a top-20 guy.
Turley was disappointing (again). I started plugging at the end of last season for him to stay in shape and start the season where he left off. It didn't happen, but he looked to have more in the 3rd than his starting point last year. I think we'll have to wait until the second half of the season for him to come along. I hope he stays healthy. Sad. I think he has/had greater potential than what he has shown.
Soldano looked like Soldano. Maybe he was confident enough with his competition to funk as much as he did. I think he would have been in trouble with top guys. Still, he's fun to watch, and I look forward to seeing more.
Poznanski does look solid. Again, we need to see how he does against a top-10 opponent. I see differences in his style. The guy he wrestled was up from 174 last year.
Yara-Slav looks solid and hopefully competitive with the top 10 guys.

The backup situation is not good at five weights or more. I hope the guys stay injury free.

V-Tech will be the real measure. I hope it doesn't become the annual WTF moment.
Agreed, matches went as expected and we won’t really know where we are at until VT.. and I hope both teams go with their starters..

- White looks like a good sized 165, think the weight jump will do him good..

- Kinda confused why Butler didn’t wrestle Lamer.. coulda been good chance to move up in rankings..

- Love that freshman wrestlers can wrestle up to five free matches rule for the ppl worried bout not having enough backups..

Saw several people say that we ducked at 149, but I think Butler wouldnhave mopped the floor on that guy.

Love what I saw from Moore. Hope we see more punishments by him. Haha

This should be emphasized by every coach in the country. The take down/let him up game is +2 now instead of +1. If you’re the dominant neutral wrestler then 3 take downs and the match is 9-3.

wait what? take down is 3 now????

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT