ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball No. 19 Rutgers defeats No. 13 Illinois, 2-0 to start B1G play

What a game against a very tough Illini team. We have some tough games coming up, but have to love the start of the season. Wasn't sure we were going to win this one midway through that first half, where we struggled, but this team never gives up - just grinding it out all the way. Getting 36 FTs to 15 for them helped, although the last 10 or so of those were in foul-mode at the end of the game.

Harper with 28/9 and was lights out in the 2nd half, especially from deep - All American is in reach the way he's playing. And JY and Mathis both playing well with 24 and 15 (and Tez should've had 19 if not for those two blown dunks) and great defense. But maybe the unsung here of the game was Myles with 9/13 and 3 blocks, 3 steals and 1 assist and some great defense against maybe the best big man in the B1G - and not getting into foul trouble. Mulcahy also played pretty well with 8/7 and drawing that critical flagrant foul and some great help defense at times and hitting 6-6 FTs. Geo with a quiet 7 points and 5 assist and it's pretty cool that we can with without him lighting it up. Cliff did ok while he was in, but tough for him to guard Cockburn - hope his ankle is ok.

How awesome would it been to have been there today? It just sucks not being able to be at these games, but still a great win. Coach Pikiell had good rotations, but we're going to need more than 7 guys (and we played only 6 once Cliff went out - we need at least one of the other frosh to step up a bit), but kudos to Coach for having the team come out playing better ball in the 2nd half, especially on defense, where we just turned it up a notch. Great, great win.

Not saying it's going to happen but if they win next 5 games they have to be #1 or #2 in country

Last edited:
Reactions: Kbee3 and ecojew
What we are seeing are players that are developing every year, Something we haven't seen in a while. Pike is the man.
Agreed, which is why not having more OOC games early in the season has hindered that for this year's frosh. We'll need 1-2 of those guys at some point, I think.

We should move into the top 15 since several teams ahead of us had a tough week. Teams like San Diego State, Illinois, Creighton, Florida State, and Texas Tech.

ILL is solid but in the 2H you could tell we are definitely the better team. Were well in control until it became a FT contest.

Reactions: carmenst
Mulcahy also played pretty well

I think this is a gross understatement. He played fantastic and was the grit along with Myles that held this thing together along with JY stepping up. Paul did so many good things that don't necessarily make the stat sheet. His under the board play was amazing and he and Myles outplayed Kofi and Georgi.

Rutgers beat down Maryland easily and beat top 15 Illinois. They are going up at minimum 5 spots, maybe even more

12-13 should be where we check in

Only time we have ever been higher than 15 was 75-76

Win against Ohio state On the road (who should be ranked 23-25 even with loss to Purdue) propels us to the top 10

I think this is a gross understatement. He played fantastic and was the grit along with Myles that held this thing together along with JY stepping up. Paul did so many good things that don't necessarily make the stat sheet. His under the board play was amazing and he and Myles outplayed Kofi and Georgi.

I might have said great game, if he didn't have those two bad walks and was better than 1-4 from the field. But he had a very good game and yes did a lot of little things well, like setting screens and help defense.

12-13 should be where we check in

Only time we have ever been higher than 15 was 75-76

Win against Ohio state On the road (who should be ranked 23-25 even with loss to Purdue) propels us to the top 10
I'm sure you know the history better than I do, but 75-76 was the only time above 15?

i didnt see a travel on either play. the second he was dribbling

I might have said great game, if he didn't have those two bad walks and was better than 1-4 from the field. But he had a very good game and yes did a lot of little things well, like setting screens and help defense.

Reactions: jared04
Such an awesome awesome game to watch. I can’t remember the last time on Sunday at 1pm I didn’t watch a second of the NFL... just a great game to watch.
I am with you didn't watch 1 minute of NFL and I am in my fantasy football playoffs but Rutgers takes precedence !!!

Reactions: gmay8
images

• Haha
Reactions: ScarletDave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT