ADVERTISEMENT

No. 25 Rutgers Men's Basketball Hosts St. John's in Exhibition Thursday

Yeah, I know this exercise means little ... except I enjoy speculating and guessing. I also know that based on Pikiell's recent comments on the exhibition, the exhibition itself may not mean much (he specifically stated that the staff was not doing individual opposition player tendency analysis or ST. John's game prep, but instead was focusing mainly on the RU tesam, and will try various line-ups during the game to get a feel for how different groups of 5 players work together on the court).

Even so ... fun, fun, fun ... this is the very early start to understanding RU's pieces.

So, I will give a try at considering how certain on-court match-ups might work. Some of the articles pre-game are talking about the match-uop between Harper and Richmond. That is what sparked my interest in putting together this post. In particular, I do not think RU will have Harper on Richmond as much as some might think - and nor should they ... not in a real game at least (not sure this qualifies as a real game).

So ... presuming the following starting line-ups:

RU: Harper, Williams, Bailey, Martini, Ogbole

St. Johns: Deivon Smith (though he has been hurt and not start or even play), Richmond, RJ Luis, Aaron Scott, Ejiofor or Iwuchkwa

Richmond is a PG - at 6'6" and strong ... but Smith was Utah's starting PG, and a good one also (only 6'0" or 6'1", but averaged 13+ ppg, 6 reb/g and 7 ass/g).

I actually would have BAILEY cover Richmond, to start ... here is my theory on that:

1) 2 years ago, RU smothered Richmond, with McConnell smothering him one on one without help ... Now Bailey is no McConnell defensively, I know. But McConnell was 6'7" ... Richmond is 6'6" and strong ... Bailey at 6'8" to 6'9" and extremely athletic, can play a half-step off Richmond and still give him real problems with his shot. Richmond is most dangerous backing down or shooting over smaller guards, and/or forcing double-teams on him because of getting position on smaller players, or beating slower players - and then dishing off ... and Richmond then passes to other now open players (kind of like Pickett of PSU of 2 years ago). If you can defend Richmond one on one, without much help defense, it significantly reduces his effectiveness - and his ability to make his teammates better. I feel that Williams cannot cover Richmond without help - though Williams is a good defender, better than average, he is SMALLER than Richmond - and he would need help defense to keep Richmond from backing him down.

2) To defend Richmond, who will surely be given a lot of high screens, in addition to potential switching, defenders MIGHT be able to go UNDER the screens - Richmond does NOT take a lot of 3's - and last season shot just 27% from 3 in only 63 attempts - the year before he shot 44% but in only 36 attempts.

3) I like having a 6'8" to 6'(" super athletic guy on Richmond, which allows for better, more favorable other defensive match-ups: the RU centers on the St. John's centers (neither the St. John's centers should be expected to be stars), Martini on RJ Luis (not a 3-point shooter, a 6'7" PF, rebounder type, mid-range and to the rim type), Harper and Williams sharing duties on the transfer WF Aaron Scott (a 6'7" transfer shooter from North Texas) and either Wilcher (6'4" PG returning from last season - averaged 11 mpg last year), or the transfer PG Smith (if healthy), a 6'1" PG - both Harper and Williams ought to be able defend either one of those 2.

We'll see, of course, how that plays out. Just my 2 cents ... and my pure speculation. And, in the end, just an exhibition, with another 3 full weeks of practice before the 1st real game.

P.S. If the reports are true about the "secret" (meaning private) scrimmage with Towson St., (nearly 50 points between Harper and Bailey - 30 for Bailey), I think that might just be a snapshot in some ways: I have long felt that Bailey is the type of player who can and will have games where he scores 25+ points on 10-14 or 10-16 from the field ... but he may ALSO have games where his shot is OFF ... but he keep shooting, meaning single-digit scoring games when he goes 2-12, or 3-13 or so. The more consistent Bailey can become, the better for both himself and the team (because for him "consistency" means fewer games with tough shot selection that miss ... in other words, "consistency" for Bailey means raising his FLOOR, not reducing his CEILING).

lion, I admire your dedication in breaking down an exhibition game.

I don't know much about St. John's, but I'm not sure I want my primary wing scorer guarding SJU's top scorer (Richmond) who will have the ball in his hands a LOT. Not sure you want to wear down Ace like that. I don't mind if Ace guards him occasionally, but not as the primary defender.

Richmond is not an explosive type of player, but rather a deliberate guy who gets most of his points in the mid-range. I think JWill is well-suited to guard him despite giving up 2 inches. But I would put Dylan on him too, if only to give Dylan a "test" of his defensive abilities, plus Dylan is just as tall (or even slightly taller) and has a nice wingspan. This might also be a good time for Derkack to show off his defensive abilities in reserve.

I get it.

But ... exhibitions are a good time to try different things. Richmond is really good ... and I do not think Williams can handle him, not without help ... and help means other St. John's players left open, where Richmond excels even more. Just my opinion.

Also, I would add: Why not have Bailey "test" his defensive ability also? And why would he be at risk being worn down more than Harper, defending Richmond?

In fact, the reason you provide - that Richmond is not explosive but more deliberate ... well, I know that, and his style ... and that is exactly why I would love to see Bailey be given a shot. Richmond will just back down Williams (bigger, stronger, taller), and without help defense, will just back him down, use his post moves and pull-up's and step back moves - and because Richmond is taller there will be very little Williams could do without help defense. Harper is taller and maybe stronger than Williams (not 100% sure about being stronger than Williams) - but the same height as Richmond - and somewhat similar style, physically and athletically. Bailey now ... not as physically strong as Richmond, but MUJCH more athletic, 2" to 3" taller, explosive leaper, long arms ... Richmond can back him down, but then what will Richmond do? Much tougher to shoot over a 6'9" Bailey than a 6'4" Williams or even a 6'6" Harper.

Just thought it would be an interesting experiment, and create better defensive match-ups more in RU's favor across the other Guard/Wing/PF positions.

P.S. In re the time spent on "analysis" of a useless exhibition game: For better or worse, I have the time, and the inclination. I do understand that until we actually begin to see some games, such analysis is really just mental masturbation - but for me, fun!

A few thoughts rather than start a new thread:

I'm not thinking we'll "know the answers" to the below after one scrimmage but hope for enough to have us nodding, not shaking, our heads:
1)`I'm assuming Acuff is out. Do we know until when?
2) Even if SJU's centers aren't stellar, does Zach look comfortable at the five in whatever minutes he may get;
3) Having two super-hyped frosh, will our other new guys be aggressive, be afraid to miss shots, not to hang out on O and see if the ball comes to them;
4) for JMike, offensively to realize that full speed is not always the best speed, and, I'd love for him set a claim to be a stopper against anyone 6'4" and under;
5) I think I have a good idea of what to expect from EO: if he was a C grade player to move up to a B, at least B-;
6) An aggressive Lathan who comes out with a chip on his shoulder: "Hey, I love Ace and Dylan, but there are three frosh ready to impact the game"; to play his game, not get deterred if his shot's not falling or he gets a bad call;
7) for Dylan to hold his own on D and, from day one, show that on the offensive end he is the QB (FULL STOP); shot clock is under 12: ball in Dylan's hands above key
8) Ace--intelligent aggression and, in terms of overall game, to look like the Number 2 frosh and a lottery choice. To stand out from the crowd.
9) Positive surprises elsewhere.

I get it.

But ... exhibitions are a good time to try different things. Richmond is really good ... and I do not think Williams can handle him, not without help ... and help means other St. John's players left open, where Richmond excels even more. Just my opinion.

Also, I would add: Why not have Bailey "test" his defensive ability also? And why would he be at risk being worn down more than Harper, defending Richmond?

In fact, the reason you provide - that Richmond is not explosive but more deliberate ... well, I know that, and his style ... and that is exactly why I would love to see Bailey be given a shot. Richmond will just back down Williams (bigger, stronger, taller), and without help defense, will just back him down, use his post moves and pull-up's and step back moves - and because Richmond is taller there will be very little Williams could do without help defense. Harper is taller and maybe stronger than Williams (not 100% sure about being stronger than Williams) - but the same height as Richmond - and somewhat similar style, physically and athletically. Bailey now ... not as physically strong as Richmond, but MUJCH more athletic, 2" to 3" taller, explosive leaper, long arms ... Richmond can back him down, but then what will Richmond do? Much tougher to shoot over a 6'9" Bailey than a 6'4" Williams or even a 6'6" Harper.

Just thought it would be an interesting experiment, and create better defensive match-ups more in RU's favor across the other Guard/Wing/PF positions.

P.S. In re the time spent on "analysis" of a useless exhibition game: For better or worse, I have the time, and the inclination. I do understand that until we actually begin to see some games, such analysis is really just mental masturbation - but for me, fun!
We’re not disagreeing. I said we should try Dylan and Ace to defend Richmond, in addition to JWill and Derkack. I was more saying that I wouldn’t want Ace to be the “primary” defender of Richmond. That’s all.

I’m gonna go in a different direction and say that this exhibition may reveal something about the coaching, in particular the head coach.

Imo, this season Pike will have his biggest challenge yet at the helm of RU bball. That’s because:
1) Expectations are high (incl. preseason ranking)
2) Two NBA draft picks on his roster, but young
3) Only 3 returning scholarship players
4) Blend of 5 freshmen with 4 veteran transfers
5) No proven center with P5 experience

So, this game I’ll be looking for things like what chemistry has been developed in the offseason, has Pike instilled a positive team-first attitude, will we defend like Pike teams do, what mix of players will he tinker with, how will he handle minutes distribution (at the 5-spot in particular), and will he let them run and gun more than any Pike team we’ve seen so to-date?

Reactions: RUGiddy777
I’m gonna go in a different direction and say that this exhibition may reveal something about the coaching, in particular the head coach.

Imo, this season Pike will have his biggest challenge yet at the helm of RU bball. That’s because:
1) Expectations are high (incl. preseason ranking)
2) Two NBA draft picks on his roster, but young
3) Only 3 returning scholarship players
4) Blend of 5 freshmen with 4 veteran transfers
5) No proven center with P5 experience

So, this game I’ll be looking for things like what chemistry has been developed in the offseason, has Pike instilled a positive team-first attitude, will we defend like Pike teams do, what mix of players will he tinker with, how will he handle minutes distribution (at the 5-spot in particular), and will he let them run and gun more than any Pike team we’ve seen so to-date?
I can tell you just watching the intrasquad scrimmage he has definitely instilled Pikell defense into them

Reactions: RUGiddy777
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT