ADVERTISEMENT

No. 5 Rutgers Men's Lacrosse Heads to No. 19 Loyola Saturday @ Noon

Trap game! Tough game on the road against a desperate team who has already lost to 2 Big Ten teams. A loss here will be bad.

Wouldn't call it a trap game, as nobody's been under the illusion that it would be an easy win. However, there's something to "desperate".

Reactions: Scarlet83
Maybe not a full trap game but very dangerous. Loyola is a talented team that is not playing well yet, they are at home and really need a win. Rutgers comes off a solid win against Army and have arguably their biggest rival waiting for them next week in Princeton. Dugenio is on a tear and if that continues I think that we win by a couple. The team should be very focused as a win gets them into the top 4

Lol I literally said earlier this week that Loyola would be desperate. No sane lax fan would say this is a trap game as Loyola on the road is still an extremely good team. A trap game IMO would be Stony Brook should we get past Loyola with a win as the threat of looking ahead to Princeton would be there.

Maybe not a full trap game but very dangerous. Loyola is a talented team that is not playing well yet, they are at home and really need a win. Rutgers comes off a solid win against Army and have arguably their biggest rival waiting for them next week in Princeton. Dugenio is on a tear and if that continues I think that we win by a couple. The team should be very focused as a win gets them into the top 4
I thought we play Stony Brook first before Princeton.

Yup, Stony Brook next, well there goes that thought! unfortunately, I do not think the Rutgers schedule gives them a lot of wiggle room in terms of losses, although it appears that Lafayette is a little better, this team has to show up against its ranked competition. This will be a tough test for the boys and for @Golfer2019 I wonder if Joey is Brennan's matchup when he plays midfield.

Reactions: Golfer2019
Yup, Stony Brook next, well there goes that thought! unfortunately, I do not think the Rutgers schedule gives them a lot of wiggle room in terms of losses, although it appears that Lafayette is a little better, this team has to show up against its ranked competition. This will be a tough test for the boys and for @Golfer2019 I wonder if Joey is Brennan's matchup when he plays midfield.
Hey @rufamily hope you are well!

Joey will start at attack (assuming health is good) and so he will get one of close guys most of the time although I’m sure a screen or rub will lead to a matchup or two. We will see

If we win this game next week would be the trap game at SB. This is a red letter game on the schedule for RU

Loyola is a very good team that is struggling and really gave away the Hop game and the other game was at MD...look at how we play vs MD and then recalibrate your thoughts on Loyola

I still think Loyola will win the Patriot. Army is very good, but in April and May I’ll take Loyola over Army

I like RU in this game but not by much. We will see Loyola’s best this weekend

I’ll stick by my original thought going into the season looking at the schedule. We need to take 2 of 3 from Army/Loyola/Princeton ...and run the rest of the OOC slate. If we’re 8-1 going into the Big ten, then all opportunities are ahead of this team. Now go 9-0 (which is damn hard) then we are in a really good spot

Tomorrow is a big game but the Army win allows for a little wiggle room...but not much

And frankly the OSU win over UNC helps us a lot because it now gets another Big Ten team in the top 10/15...of course we will need to beat them and our overall schedule strength gets a bump we didn’t think would be there

Big game this weekend

Looking forward to this game. Don’t see this as a trap game at all. I don’t think anyone on the team is under the illusion that Loyola is an easy out. They may be struggling now but they are talented and well coached. Lax in many ways is a streaky sport and you never know when a talented team (or player) that is cold is going to get hot. You just hope you are not on the receiving end when it happens.

I think the two things we have in our favor are faceoffs and goalkeeping. Dugenio is playing lights out, the Loyola goalie is struggling and Kirst is one of, if not the, best in the country. If those trends continue and we shoot as well as we did against Army, I think we have a good shot at continuing Loyola‘s cold streak for another week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loyal-Son
Sports are a funny thing. The best team doesn't always win. Loyola has more talent than they have displayed. They really gave that Hopkins game away. When I look at Loyola though I just don't see any areas they are clearly better. Attack, maybe though I'd say no. Call that a wash. Our D is better, our O middies are better, our D mids are better, our goalie is much better. They play 3 goalies which means they don't have any goalies.

I do think their close D is very good, or can be. They just haven't played like it.

Away games are always tough though. I am expecting a close game. If Loyola plays like they have though and we play well, I would not be shocked to see us win by 5 or more goals.

Their goalie play has been atrocious. If that doesn't get fixed I just don't see how they make it a game. Especially if we go near 50% at the x.

Sports are a funny thing. The best team doesn't always win. Loyola has more talent than they have displayed. They really gave that Hopkins game away. When I look at Loyola though I just don't see any areas they are clearly better. Attack, maybe though I'd say no. Call that a wash. Our D is better, our O middies are better, our D mids are better, our goalie is much better. They play 3 goalies which means they don't have any goalies.

I do think their close D is very good, or can be. They just haven't played like it.

Away games are always tough though. I am expecting a close game. If Loyola plays like they have though and we play well, I would not be shocked to see us win by 5 or more goals.

Their goalie play has been atrocious. If that doesn't get fixed I just don't see how they make it a game. Especially if we go near 50% at the x.
Fair post @Caliknight

Don’t like pinning on one thing but last week if Loyola gets even average goalie play they win. Period

Your other assessments are fair.

Loyola close D and LSM are very good

Savio if on, is very good at the face off x

But we have an All American Goalie, we have a very good defense, we have a very good rope unit

This game puts me in a tough spot for obvious reasons

I just think this Loyola team has pieces and I think they’ll be much better in a month...but I’ve been wrong before

See how it plays out. I’m not sure

But if Loyola can’t get 50% saves and 50% face offs then it will be a long day vs RU

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Loyola did this last year then was one of the hottest teams in May.

Pieces are there for certain to get it together. But their goalie play is problem. Even with a team playing well that is a spotlight position. They have a history of really good goalies so it's a bit surprising one hasn't stepped up. Toomey himself is a former goalie. You'd have to believe at some point they will get better production there.

I know this is a hard one for ya. Enjoy it as much as you can. It's a great testament to you and your family.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't be unhappy if RU put one on em with #3 having all their goals. That would a great game :)

Reactions: Golfer2019
Yes.

It's a big one. I'm told the boys had a very solid week of practice. Not always, but often that translates to game day.

I was wondering what happened to the broadcast on espn+. The icon was on my TV and now its completely gone..

Me too. I was ready to rip ESPN a new one.

The reason is pretty funny if you know the parties involved.

Reactions: TRU2RU
It's not showing on the upcoming ESPN+ schedule now??
Will it still be steamed?

I'm on the phone with ESPN now. They aren't very helpful.

Basically he didn't know if its going to stream or not. He took my number and is going to call me back when he finds something out. Allegedly.

1:15pm & ESPN+ is NOT steaming it due to change in scheduled time.

Go RU!
Diane

UVA 8 - Syracuse 1 at the end of the 1st. Syracuse clearing is mediocre, but UVAs ride is NASTY! Good wing play by UVA on faceoffs as well.
It’s pretty hard to give up 8 goals in 1 quarter. Wow. SU SUcks!!

UVA 11-5 at the half.

Other scores

Delaware 11 - Monmouth 1 in the 2nd

Penn St 6 - Yale 5 in the 3rd

Duke 7 - Penn 6 in the 3rd.

Syracuse is terrible.

They may go to 8 after this loss.

The thing that has been amazing to me is the Ivy League teams haven’t played in a year and a half in so many of them started the season ranked. Thought they would have at least had to earn their rankings – though I know the cream is rising to the top at this point of the season.

I only had ESPNplus for this game. They actually called me back to tell me it wasn't streaming. I cancelled my service and got a refund believe it or not.

Doesn’t appear to be a great start this far. Down 5-7 with 4 mins left in the 2nd.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT