ADVERTISEMENT

No. 8 Rutgers Women's Soccer Returns Home for Matchups with No. 16 Michigan ( Wednesday) and Iowa (Sunday)

Was there also. Agree with most all of Luv's comments. Could have had several goals. Their keeper made some very good saves. We also just missed on a few shots. We came out hard & had other good pressure throughout the game. They didn't have a shot to speak of.
Think the penalty was for a hand ball. Thought the keeper guessed right but Becci Fuchel struck a great ball, low, hard & to the corner just inside the post.
Agree that the freshmen Mason & Daigle continue to struggle. Actually thought Mason was a little bit better today. Although Banks the frosh is getting better, thought she coughed a couple up again today. Poor passes. Actually think they are improving somewhat overall.
Late in the game Ali with the ball had a wide open Tiernan to her left at about the 18 & tried to beat two girls & lost it. No excuse for that. Did you see that Luv, & if you did what do you think?
All things considered a good win. Got to stay hungry. Congrats Ladies! GO RU!

Last edited:
Two things while Riley is going to be one of the best she still keeps the ball on her feet a little too long many times
Also I hate to say this but our offense creates way more opportunities when Amirah is out of the game she had a ply with about 20 minutes to go where she had the ball at the 18 and there were not only 1 but two girls to her left with absolutely no defenders within 5 yards of them and never looked up to pass the ball
Saw that too and said "wow, she is the most selfish player on the field."

Did she play at PDA? Not sure why the disconnect.

Two things while Riley is going to be one of the best she still keeps the ball on her feet a little too long many times
Also I hate to say this but our offense creates way more opportunities when Amirah is out of the game she had a ply with about 20 minutes to go where she had the ball at the 18 and there were not only 1 but two girls to her left with absolutely no defenders within 5 yards of them and never looked up to pass the ball
You should not hate to say that. She loses every single ball she touches

Amirah played at Pda

Riley played at PDA but not at the main Zarephat campus. They have Two others . One at the shore and one near Eastern hs ( I think? ) Riley played academy there along with Sara and Gia

Reactions: Scarlettrooper

Interesting observation.

I assume they break down game film like the football and basketball teams.

I wonder how the conversations go (amongst coaches and players) when they review plays like that.

I don’t think it’s disconnect I just believe she has never had such good offensive players around her and her game was and always has been beating the defense by herself so she rarely ever passed because there was never anyone to pass to so she is just so used to keeping the ball on her feet that she just never had to pass the ball in the past and like I said I think the offense flows better and creates more chances when she is out of the game

That was my thought about Riley. She looks super fast and aggressive but needs to be melded into the team a little a better. The good news that she is only a Freshman so I see a bright future!

That was my thought about Riley. She looks super fast and aggressive but needs to be melded into the team a little a better. The good news that she is only a Freshman so I see a bright future!
Or you can think of Riley like a point guard who creates opportunities for others by her movement passing skills. Or similar to kicking it out for an open three

I would have thought she would be considered a godsend after two years of slowly work the ball into Amirah and Nneka and have them lose it.

she is the difference between past year offenses we all hated and what we have today.

Or you can think of Riley like a point guard who creates opportunities for others by her movement passing skills. Or similar to kicking it out for an open three

I would have thought she would be considered a godsend after two years of slowly work the ball into Amirah and Nneka and have them lose it.

she is the difference between past year offenses we all hated and what we have today.
Yes, as well as Frankie who is a big piece. But as you say Riley is the setter-upper even though she is on the wing.

Yes, as well as Frankie who is a big piece. But as you say Riley is the setter-upper even though she is on the wing.
Dad do you agree about the offense when Amirah is out when she went out in the second half yesterday we created a bunch of chances in the time she was out and then she came back in?

Dad do you agree about the offense when Amirah is out when she went out in the second half yesterday we created a bunch of chances in the time she was out and then she came back in?
Lately yes Rich. Earlier in the year she seemed to mesh better. She seems to have reverted to more individual play. Lets face it she is used to being the focal point & the scorer always wanting to turn & dribble through the D. And as ho said lose it more often than not. She may be frustrated at not scoring more & thinks that's the way to do it. This team tends to really play together with more one touch passing or at least moving the ball. She really doesn't fit unless she greatly adapts. After that awful display of not passing to Riley I would sit her on the bench & let her think it over, & be sure she knows what she should be thinking over. If she buys in, if she even can at this stage, she will be a big asset as she has good speed & a great foot. And she will be open more frequently & have more success.

Last edited:
Well here’s what we’ve got:

@ Maryland
MSU
@ Indiana
@ Illinois

…Maryland and Illinois our combined 1-8-3 on the season season. There should be absolutely zero excuse whatsoever not to claim six points from those two matches. Michigan State is at home. That leaves in the air and on the road as the big test in my humble opinion. Come out of the stretch with 8-10 points and the regular season title SHOULD be ours. Purdue closes @OSU, @PSU, Northwestern. Indiana.

While Rutgers has an "easier" Big Ten schedule this year not playing the teams currently 2nd, 6th and 7th in the standings (Purdue, Northwestern and Wisconsin), Purdue is not playing the top team (Rutgers) and the current 3rd place team (MSU) plus Maryland. Purdue could sweep their remaining games forcing Rutgers to win 3 and a tie to get a title outright.

While Rutgers has an "easier" Big Ten schedule this year not playing the teams currently 2nd, 6th and 7th in the standings (Purdue, Northwestern and Wisconsin), Purdue is not playing the top team (Rutgers) and the current 3rd place team (MSU) plus Maryland. Purdue could sweep their remaining games forcing Rutgers to win 3 and a tie to get a title outright.
Purdue has Ohio St, Penn St, Northwestern and Indiana. Except for us it couldn’t be tougher for them

Interesting observation.

I assume they break down game film like the football and basketball teams.

I wonder how the conversations go (amongst coaches and players) when they review plays like that.

They definitely break down film. If you are in the lacrosse watch and that's on film, you hope the machine breaks that day. Can't imagine it's much better in soccer.

Reactions: RUonBrain
My comment on the strength of the schedule was for the entire conference schedule. They will not play the current first place and third place teams.

If RU is #5 in RPI, then winning out and then winning the B1G Tourney might land them a 1 seed in the NCAA Tourney, meaning we won't have to leave Yurcak unless we make the Final Four.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT