ADVERTISEMENT

No. 9 Rutgers Men’s Lacrosse Faces No. 1 Seed North Carolina in NCAA Quarterfinals - Saturday at 2:30 p.m., ESPNU

As someone who played in the early to mid 90's, I am not afraid to say it. The kids today on Rutgers would beat our 90 team pretty handily, which was the last RU team to advance to the quarters.

Kids today are far better prepared, bigger, quicker, stronger, and the sticks allow them to do things that would have been impossible back then.

Lacrosse, like every other sport, has advanced. It would be fun to see them play with the equipment we had though. Would be a different game for them, but one they would adapt to, provided they had the other training and whatnot they do now.

Not to be discounted but the game has changed dramatically as well. The rise of box the cross in the United States has added a streetball Element to the game.

Players move differently. The tactics are different. The way players use their sticks… Obviously equipment is a major factor but it also is a different approach to the game…

As someone who played in the early to mid 90's, I am not afraid to say it. The kids today on Rutgers would beat our 90 team pretty handily, which was the last RU team to advance to the quarters.

Kids today are far better prepared, bigger, quicker, stronger, and the sticks allow them to do things that would have been impossible back then.

Lacrosse, like every other sport, has advanced. It would be fun to see them play with the equipment we had though. Would be a different game for them, but one they would adapt to, provided they had the other training and whatnot they do now.

At the very top, players particularly and teams to a lesser extent, imho there's not that much different than the past. What is incredibly different is the depth of talent and training. There are probably 10X the number of HS programs there were in the early 70s. Hell, there were only about 25 in Pa. and 35 in NJ. You have that many in Georgia and Utah these days. And athletes exist in all 50 states. So with 10X the programs there are SO many more talented athletes playing the overall quality of the college game (where there are NOT 10X the number of programs) has skyrocketed. The biggest difference to me is not #1 vs. #1, but #20 vs. #20. I'd say the #20 team in 2019 (2021 is an aberration that's not a fair comparison) would beat the #20 of 1976 by a score of something 17-7.

Oh, and the only clubs were for summer leagues.

Edited to add: And the #30 team in 2019 would beat the #30 team from 1976 by something like 20-5.

Last edited:
I might agree with that. The depth is much different, and the game is played by guys who are just bigger and/or faster. The training is the difference, along with the technology allowing for better preparation.

I've been seeing D1 games at field level since I was 12. I've never seen what I see now with these teams. It's just a different game. In some ways better, but not all. Even so, lacrosse is in a great spot. In 25 years, the players then will be even better. Evolution is a great thing.

Interesting Lax Vegas lines for Saturday

UVA +1 over UNC Over/under 29.5
Maryland +1.5 over Duke Over/under 25,5

I might take a drive down to Fanduel in the Meadowlands and see if I can get the Tar Heels +1

Interesting Lax Vegas lines for Saturday

UVA +1 over UNC Over/under 29.5
Maryland +1.5 over Duke Over/under 25,5

I might take a drive down to Fanduel in the Meadowlands and see if I can get the Tar Heels +1
I'm hitting UNC on that one. They will be laser focused vs UVA.

On a different book I see
UNC -1.5 / UVA +1.5
UMD -1.5 / Duke +1.5.
I’m surprised the bookies have Duke as the underdog

The skinny spreads show that you can make a case for any of these 4 winning the National Championship IMO.

At the very top, players particularly and teams to a lesser extent, imho there's not that much different than the past. What is incredibly different is the depth of talent and training. There are probably 10X the number of HS programs there were in the early 70s. Hell, there were only about 25 in Pa. and 35 in NJ. You have that many in Georgia and Utah these days. And athletes exist in all 50 states. So with 10X the programs there are SO many more talented athletes playing the overall quality of the college game (where there are NOT 10X the number of programs) has skyrocketed. The biggest difference to me is not #1 vs. #1, but #20 vs. #20. I'd say the #20 team in 2019 (2021 is an aberration that's not a fair comparison) would beat the #20 of 1976 by a score of something 17-7.

Oh, and the only clubs were for summer leagues.

Edited to add: And the #30 team in 2019 would beat the #30 team from 1976 by something like 20-5.

Agree completely

On a different book I see
UNC -1.5 / UVA +1.5
UMD -1.5 / Duke +1.5.
I’m surprised the bookies have Duke as the underdog

With the expected weather taking the under may have been the best bet. They've probably changed them in the last 18 hours, but I don't see 29.5 happening in the rain.

With the expected weather taking the under may have been the best bet. They've probably changed them in the last 18 hours, but I don't see 29.5 happening in the rain.
That’s a lot of goals. Considering all 4 final 8 games last week were lower scoring games
Duke. 10-9
Md. 14-13
UVA 14-3
UNC. 12-11
I’d have to take under in bad weather also.

Acc teams are country club lacrosse. I expect it to be high scoring, regardless of weather.

Acc teams are country club lacrosse. I expect it to be high scoring, regardless of weather.
UNC played better D against us than I was hoping for. Their Freshman goalie was better than advertised and their Ride was tough. I don’t know if our guys clearing would consider it country club lax. We got manhandled in the midfield

UNC played better D against us than I was hoping for. Their Freshman goalie was better than advertised and their Ride was tough. I don’t know if our guys clearing would consider it country club lax. We got manhandled in the midfield

I would say that was the best D I saw Unc play all season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT