ADVERTISEMENT

No. 9 Rutgers Men's Lacrosse Heads to No. 6 Ohio State Saturday Game Thread

It is killing me to not see a shot clock.

Great start, hopefully we keep this up as I am heading to Face Off Showcase afternoon sessionand will miss the rest of the game. Will follow this thread like a hawk.

Reactions: Caliknight
As I’m typing saying man we look good they score ... impressive to be up 10-5

RU looking fast ... out hustling ... and better than usual face off %

Bad last 10 seconds .... slash penalty, give up a goal, win the face off with a minute advantage for OSU ... but RU outshooting 23-12 with 11 goals ... can’t let up!!!

Ok ... 11-7 ... lost 3 face offs in a row ... don’t let them sneak back in.

The announcer is obviously an Ohio State guy but he really seems to know the game well and gives Rutgers credit

Reactions: RickB113
Make it 26. That’s a huge number against Ohio St. Their D is for real.

Wow, what a dominant half. Hopefully we can keep it up in 2nd.

This team is looking like it could be something special. Kirst and Charalambides are both incredible.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Cam- glad you liked it. Yes, that’s always been an issue. Seeing the ball. The pro league uses a colored ball which seems to help. NBC does the production so it’s more viewer friendly.

As to who faceoffs, that’s a very specialized position. Kids doing that in college have been doing that, and probably very little else on the lacrosse field, for a number of years. It’s basically like being a kicker on a football team, only they are viewed much more highly. They are tough guys.

Thanks for your thoughts. I think that lacrosse has a good future in the U.S. It has elements of other major sports without some of their shortcomings. (e.g. the premium on height in basketball -- why should it be a benefit to have an unhealthy height?)

Reactions: Caliknight
Offense is obviously powerful but I’m actually more impressed with the defense. Outside of penalties OSU is unable to get anything going offensively. Also wing play is night and day vs. last year and gbs in general.

Thanks for your thoughts. I think that lacrosse has a good future in the U.S. It has elements of other major sports without some of their shortcomings. (e.g. the premium on height in basketball -- why should it be a benefit to have an unhealthy height?)
Lacrosse has a lot of different body types. If you are quick and athletic there is a spot for you.

Reactions: gef21
Offense is obviously powerful but I’m actually more impressed with the defense. Outside of penalties OSU is unable to get anything going offensively. Also wing play is night and day vs. last year and gbs in general.
Me too. If we can keep out of the penalty box and stop the silly offsides penalties I like our chances to seal this.

Facing off has become more and more specialized over the years, and the rules have changed as well. And not just the major changes in effect for this year. Over all the iterations one thing has never changed, the need for a lightning quick first move at the whistle. Beyond that, leg strength and toughness are important. As Cali said, comparisons to other sports are tough. As opposed to a kicker in football, I'd make a comparison to a gunner on punts and kickoffs.

Amusingly the best comparison may be to my grandfather, who was a 6"1" college basketball center in the '10s. That's the 1910's. And in those day there was a jump ball after every basket.

Six-one was an impressive height in 1910. And that was itself an increase: the soldiers in Napoleon's army in 1800 had an average height of 5-2. It is amazing what better nutrition has done for increasing heights both here and abroad. I notice also that young women are often taller than I am (Five-nine) -- that doesn't hinder me in finding them attractive.

I believe you’re still in the Cherry Hill area, yes?

Seeing (and “hearing”) a game live is great and beneficial to learning the sport. If you can’t get up to Rutgers for a game, maybe check out a good HS program like Shawnee?

@gef21 and @rufamily, can you think of any schools in the area @camdenlawprof might want to check out when the weather gets better?

Last edited:
Reactions: retired711
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT