ADVERTISEMENT

Non QB problems in todays game thread

RobertG

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
The false start penalties were killers. In a game which we needed to capitalize when we had the chance 1st drive on Iowa 37 that's 2 down territory we have back to back false starts 3rd and 12 to Iowa 47.

On 4th and 1 first drive of the 2nd half on the Iowa 45 false start we have to punt.

Our center snapping the ball before everyone is set. Big loss.

Punting this game was really bad 2 punts of 35 and 36 yards gave Iowa the ball on the 50 and 45. Iowa scored on both of those posessions.

With yards at a premium somebody on D let the TE run free which resulted in a 54 yard pass.

Punter sucks

Rutgers doesn’t roll out QB , play calling sucks with zero imagination . Maybe sit down as a staff , hook up 3-4 TVs and watch all the night games together to get some other plays then the trap and power run.

VTech ran same damn roll out play 10 times and it worked 8-9 times ??

Tech had RB underneath open every time

Punter sucks

Rutgers doesn’t roll out QB , play calling sucks with zero imagination . Maybe sit down as a staff , hook up 3-4 TVs and watch all the night games together to get some other plays then the trap and power run.

When a play works the OC is brilliant when it doesn't he's trash. Sometimes their players have a better game than our players, and by all of the apparent mental mistakes we made on our o line, I wonder how many blocking assignments were missed or wrong reads made.

Reactions: newell138
Punter sucks

You are onto something here.

We have a running QB they don't let run (enough).. nor do they roll him out.

We had huge gains on swing passes to two RBs in the Temple game and have not seen that play again.

We had an 80-yard QB run TD on a bootleg vs Indiana and have not seen that again.

Wimsatt's follow the RB runs.. that works against poor defenses and fail against good defenses that close teh line behind the RB. Furthermore, as Monangai became the Big Ten's best RB, he gets a lot of attention from the defense. Why not use that attention and send Wimsatt and teh ball ELSEWHERE.. like on a bootleg.. or a rollout.

Lastly.. we are in 4-minute drill time needing multiple scores and we are obviously needing to pass the ball and we send RB Young for a fake handoff running SIDEWAYS? What was that? Why would any defense honor that?

lastly.. when we need an exclusive passing offense.. it is time to pull Wimsatt.. unless we start rolling him out and he will RUN instead of getting near the LOS and then throwing the ball away while he still has room to run. (yeah, that happened too). He chooses where he will throw the ball when the play is called. He doesn't look off anyone. He doesn't find or predict who will be open based on formation and coverage.

I disagree with some here and think Gavin can be a good QB despite these deficiencies if we use the run threat of the RB and add GW as a run threat. He was pretty accurate early on and it was noticeable. But we had the threat of Monagai then.

All this seems so basic, so obvious that I have to wonder if there is some rational reason as to why we do not do this. I cannot imagine what it is... but it just seems so self-defeating.

let me take a stab. On roll-outs.. maybe we need a more mobile OL.. at RT, for instance.. GW would likely want to roll to his right... maybe we do not do that because our best RT has limitations. Maybe Gavin himself is injured and we don't tell anyone? I just don't know.. maybe the OC doesn't ever roll QBs. Is that more of a passing-threat offense kind of thing to do? He can't really do a play-action rollout all that well.. too slow a play for us.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: RUScrew85
The false start penalties were killers.

Something that's really bugged me is that we wait til the very last second to snap the ball. This isn't on Wimsatt because obviously he's being coached to do this. But it's a horrible strategy in noisy Big 10 stadiums like what we faced yesterday. And what we'll face at State Penn next week. This sitting out there for 10-15 seconds, then looking to the sideline, then sitting for another 10+ seconds before snapping the ball is disastrous in these situations.

You are onto something here.

We have a running QB they don't let run (enough).. nor do they roll him out.

We had huge gains on swing passes to two RBs in the Temple game and have not seen that play again.

We had an 80-yard QB run TD on a bootleg vs Indiana and have not seen that again.

Wimsatt's follow the RB runs.. that works against poor defenses and fail against good defenses that close teh line behind the RB. Furthermore, as Monangai became the Big Ten's best RB, he gets a lot of attention from the defense. Why not use that attention and send Wimsatt and teh ball ELSEWHERE.. like on a bootleg.. or a rollout.

Lastly.. we are in 4-minute drill time needing multiple scores and we are obviously needing to pass the ball and we send RB Young for a fake handoff running SIDEWAYS? What was that? Why would any defense honor that?

lastly.. when we need an exclusive passing offense.. it is time to pull Wimsatt.. unless we start rolling him out and he will RUN instead of getting near the LOS and then throwing the ball away while he still has room to run. (yeah, that happened too). He chooses where he will throw the ball when the play is called. He doesn't look off anyone. He doesn't find or predict who will be open based on formation and coverage.

I disagree with some here and think Gavin can be a good QB despite these deficiencies if we use the run threat of the RB and add GW as a run threat. He was pretty accurate early on and it was noticeable. But we had the threat of Monagai then.

All this seems so basic, so obvious that I have to wonder if there is some rational reason as to why we do not do this. I cannot imagine what it is... but it just seems so self-defeating.

let me take a stab. On roll-outs.. maybe we need a more mobile OL.. at RT, for instance.. GW would likely want to roll to his right... maybe we do not do that because our best RT has limitations. Maybe Gavin himself is injured and we don't tell anyone? I just don't know.. maybe the OC doesn't ever roll QBs. Is that more of a passing-threat offense kind of thing to do? He can't really do a play-action rollout all that well.. too slow a play for us.

I think there are two issues on the roll out thing: 1) I think Gavin is less accurate on the move, so they keep him in the pocket when throwing for that reason; 2) He’s not an improvisational runner…sometimes you see on boot legs the quarterback reading the defense and making a decision to throw or tuck it and run (or just running when a play isn’t there down the field)…my guess is that they’re trying to ease the decision making process for him which is why on passing plays you often see him throw it away rather than switch to running. He runs when it’s designed, otherwise when it’s a designed passing play he’s behaving like a pocket passer…I assume this is by design to simplify the game and keep his focus on reading the pass coverage rather than eyeing the running lanes.

Penalties early really set back our offense. We have been so good on initial offensive possessions this year.
6 th man was a major factor in this loss.
They stuffed our running game
Powell's absence was glaring today.

This game was won and lost in the trenches.
It doesn't get this bad without a group effort. Everyone is at fault, from the players to the coaches. Well maybe not Patel since he never saw the field.

Something that's really bugged me is that we wait til the very last second to snap the ball. This isn't on Wimsatt because obviously he's being coached to do this. But it's a horrible strategy in noisy Big 10 stadiums like what we faced yesterday. And what we'll face at State Penn next week. This sitting out there for 10-15 seconds, then looking to the sideline, then sitting for another 10+ seconds before snapping the ball is disastrous in these situations.
Changing the tempo once in a while wouldn't be a bad thing and who knows, you may catch them napping and out of position. I know, crazy talk, Greg.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Verizon internet crashed for 24 hours so I haven't seen whole game yet,
On paper, and from the few plays I saw, it looked like the whole team didn't show-up.
Run game suddenly became a mirage and RU isn't built to bounce from that.

Something that's really bugged me is that we wait til the very last second to snap the ball. This isn't on Wimsatt because obviously he's being coached to do this. But it's a horrible strategy in noisy Big 10 stadiums like what we faced yesterday.

In his post-game Schiano specifically mentioned crowd noise as a problem.
He said they prepared for it but it was louder than what they prepped for

Last edited:
Who was the OC in the 2010s who did this at Rutgers and somehow led the league in delay of game penalties or had similar disastrous results?

I think there are two issues on the roll out thing: 1) I think Gavin is less accurate on the move, so they keep him in the pocket when throwing for that reason; 2) He’s not an improvisational runner…sometimes you see on boot legs the quarterback reading the defense and making a decision to throw or tuck it and run (or just running when a play isn’t there down the field)…my guess is that they’re trying to ease the decision making process for him which is why on passing plays you often see him throw it away rather than switch to running. He runs when it’s designed, otherwise when it’s a designed passing play he’s behaving like a pocket passer…I assume this is by design to simplify the game and keep his focus on reading the pass coverage rather than eyeing the running lanes.
I think that tracks with what I see when he runs. He isn't "quick".. once he gets space his long strides can generate speed.. but he doesn't seem to have quick feet.. he runs tall.. he'd need to be in a more compact "crouch" to quickly change direction or start-stop-shift quickly. Whereas Monangai keeps his feet under him and moving, when Wimsatt begins to lean forward he doesn't keep his feet under him.. it is a sign that he will get 2-3 more yards as he falls forward and that's that. Any contact and he goes down... he cannot absorb contact and bounce with it.. away from it.

On throwing while moving.. maybe they see him as more inaccurate in that in practice.. I don't think we've seen enough of him outside the pocket to judge how he'd do. I'd guess he'd be about the same because of his throwing "style". He doesn't seem to use proper, regular, consistent footwork to improve his accuracy. he seems to me to be all arm-feel. I don't know that his feet moving on a rollout changes that much. But, yeah, the rule for good QBs is that they are more accurate not on the move... so that's probably the way to bet as a coach.

In that QB preseason show that featured Cousins and Mahomes... Mahomes does all sorts of training and practice on throwing from odd positions and movements... but he has very quick feet. He could be moving one way and suddenly get his feet into a proper throwing stance.. for any number of throw types that he HAS PRACTICED. He is not making it up on the fly but merely getting into a position that he has practiced for and choosing that on-the-fly as needs dictate.

Who was the OC in the 2010s who did this at Rutgers and somehow led the league in delay of game penalties or had similar disastrous results?
Same guy that’s calling plays now. We used to call it the hurry up to the line clap 3 times and look to the sideline for 20 second offense.

Same guy that’s calling plays now. We used to call it the hurry up to the line clap 3 times and look to the sideline for 20 second offense.
The same OC???? Holy crap how things are the same!!!

The same OC???? Holy crap how things are the same!!!
Crazy how that works right? It’s like deja vu all over again.

I know you were being sarcastic but the women that sits behind me at the game gets so frustrated by it. We had to explain that it was worse the first go round. The whole row had no idea that this is our second stint with three claps and stare offense.

Last edited:
Schiano mandate to shorten games in every way possible.

Punter sucks

I agree, make the staff watch all the games. If it doesn't result in O changes at least they'll have to suffer like we do. LOL

It’s all about Greg slowing the game down and not giving the other Team more time to get the ball and score. He doesn’t seem to take into consideration the game environment and the impact on the OL cadence. You know small details. lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT