ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting North Carolina big man commits to Rutgers (PWO)

Sooooo why was this BIG NEWS? I’m sorry, but if a contributor makes a tweet like that it needs to be at least a three star commit or grad transfer. I don’t need to brace myself for a PWO who isn’t going to play. I think we can all agree on that. I know there isn’t much going on, but this is ridiculous. This doesn’t move the needle

Give it a rest. You are now on two boards complaining that this is not Big news. Get another hobby....because complaining is not a good one.

Congrats Daniel on joining a B1G program. It is a BIG accomplishment to be able part of a BIG time program.

Give it a rest. You are now on two boards complaining that this is not Big news. Get another hobby....because complaining is not a good one.

Congrats Daniel on joining a B1G program. It is a BIG accomplishment to be able part of a BIG time program.
That’s not the point, but whatever

Reactions: Jim_from_RU
Who is the last RU PWO to eventually contribute significantly?

He described himself as a Good Shooter and Good Free Thrown shooter. I hope he can develop into a Wisconsin type walkon. They have success with guys that turn down D3 offers, go to Wisky and contribute.down the road.

Looks bigger there then the video I saw, definately hit the weight room

It’s amazing to me that there are negative posts in a thread like this. No downside, potential upside. Remember the old saying, if you can’t find something nice to say...
It’s all in how it was presented.

Reactions: kcg88
Some Brutal replies here, Geez, we get it. But for God's sake I trust we got a solid pick up to the team and some of you trash the kid cause of the headline not meeting expectation?

Kudos to the grown ups taking the high road. Welcome kid. Good luck to you.

Who is the last RU PWO to eventually contribute significantly?
if you mean in games , maybe you won't find one that played like an All American candidate constantly.
But don't forget their contributions could come in practice as the team gets ready to play their next opponent.

Daniel is a PWO and if he does wind up contributing significantly, expect him to be in line earn a scholarship.
If that happens, I expect complaints and questions about if he should have been given a scholarship before he earned B1G first team status.

EDIT: Answer to your question is in this 2017 OTB article (The Walk-Ons Of Rutgers Men’s Basketball - On the Banks)
it has in it: " the most famous walk-on for basketball that I found was actually Jim Valvano, who quickly earned a scholarship and became one of the best players in program history, as well as being named Senior Athlete of the Year in 1967"
>"Last year, Jake Dadika played in some big spots and proved to be a stabilizing force at times."<
https://www.onthebanks.com/2017/7/6...n-smith-luke-nathan-joey-downes-steve-pikiell

Last edited:
Reactions: toby83
Didn't we get an acknowledgment from the "big news" headline writer or the site that the title was overblown? Let it go. Maybe the embedded big news is the kids relationship with a scholarship worthy team mate. If that should pay dividends consider it a big bonus. Otherwise at a minimum, we have another competitive practice participant.

Some Brutal replies here, Geez, we get it. But for God's sake I trust we got a solid pick up to the team and some of you trash the kid cause of the headline not meeting expectation?

Kudos to the grown ups taking the high road. Welcome kid. Good luck to you.

Literally nobody is trashing the player.

Reactions: biazza38
I didn't write the article, but if you need a new headline for it what about these:
Little news to report , except a 6-7 player is coming in as a Preferred Walk-on

PWO isn't that big , only 6-7 , but Pike got him.

Rutgers accepting a PWO under 7 foot, that's BIG NEWS

He described himself as a Good Shooter and Good Free Thrown shooter. I hope he can develop into a Wisconsin type walkon. They have success with guys that turn down D3 offers, go to Wisky and contribute.down the road.

Wisconsin has also had success with guys who turned down D1 offers, go to Wisconsin as a walk-on and contribute down the road.

Josh Gasser had offers from Northwestern, Northern Iowa, Maryland and Creighton. He decided to be a PWO at Wisconsin. Then a miracle happened and a Wisconsin player was charged with burglary in the dorms and withdrew from school creating a scholarship for Gasser.

I do like the Jaylon Gibson player as well for 2020.

Reece Brown is great. His injury history though makes me think of he can get through college. Stress fractures can be very reoccurring.

I'm sure comments like " he'll never play" or "getting excited about a walk on is a new low".. makes him and his family really feel great about choosing our school to spend their out of state money at.

Let's hope he can become our Luke Maye. Maye was originally a walk-on at North Carolina. You never know.........

Best of Luck,
Groz

Literally nobody is trashing the player.
Right, but he's going to feel great when he comes on here and sees the fans are a bunch of whiny bitches that take significant offense to him being called big news and questioning why they are paying for subscriptions.

(I bet he thinks it is big news, because for him it is.)

Reactions: ChasRC69
Right, but he's going to feel great when he comes on here and sees the fans are a bunch of whiny bitches that take significant offense to him being called big news and questioning why they are paying for subscriptions.

(I bet he thinks it is big news, because for him it is.)

The mods should have just announced it without any build up and there would have been little complaining

Seems like he has more potential to develop into a good player than a lot of PWO's. Should be fun to watch how he does.

Reactions: dkostus
Congrats to Daniel! Getting a preferred walk-on that could have gone to school free somewhere else is great news and speaks well of the program.

Sad that our fans have more energy to bitch about every tiny thing than they do to be happy for a positive development.

Exactly! Lol

Reactions: ru66 and dkostus
Exactly. That’s all we were saying

Idiotic comments in a thread announcing he is coming aboard. He, his family and friends will most likely visit the board to get a sense of the basketball program, the fans and the basketball discussions going on.

And what will they find.....3 Boneheads trashing his PWO commitment as not big enough news for their liking,. And doing it In the very thread announcing that he will be coming aboard in a few months.

If your issue is with the MOD...send him a frekkin direct message !!!

Last edited:
Idiotic comments in a thread announcing he is coming aboard. He, his family and friends will most likely visit the board to get a sense of the basketball program, the fans and the basketball discussions going on.

And what will they find.....3 Boneheads trashing his PWO commitment as not big enough news for their liking,. And doing it In the very thread announcing that he will be coming aboard in a few months.

First off, I’m not trashing the kid. Second, the only reason some of us were upset was because a rivals contributor tweeted brace yourself rutgers fans. BIG NEWS is coming. We are in the heart of spring recruiting with grad transfers taking visits while also looking for an assistant. With all of that surrounding the program, it’s safe to say we were expecting something big. Especially when we’re going after a grad transfer or two who could help us get to the tournament. Nothing against the kid, congrats to him and going to Rutgers. But PWO commit doesn’t warrant a warning shot like that. Find me one post where I trashed his game.

As solid of PWO pick up as possible lets land Akwasi Yeboah now as an insurance plan/rest for Gene + a C

The PWO kid is IMO a no brainer----no risk and a potential reward.

Can't for the life of me see why a kid comes as a grad transfer to play 20 minutes.

He looks very solid for a PWO. This is a no loose opportunity for this kid and RU. Welcome to the team young man!

First off, I’m not trashing the kid. Second, the only reason some of us were upset was because a rivals contributor tweeted brace yourself rutgers fans. BIG NEWS is coming. We are in the heart of spring recruiting with grad transfers taking visits while also looking for an assistant. With all of that surrounding the program, it’s safe to say we were expecting something big. Especially when we’re going after a grad transfer or two who could help us get to the tournament. Nothing against the kid, congrats to him and going to Rutgers. But PWO commit doesn’t warrant a warning shot like that. Find me one post where I trashed his game.
Can’t believe you are still complaining about this. Yes mod was wrong. We get that. Now you are acting like a 2 year old brat. You crapped on the kid unnecessarily. It’s not his fault. Stop making this about you.

Reactions: knightinaz
This isn’t big news. In no way shape or form is a PWO big news. There’s nothing big about getting a guy who is not going to play.

This kid will see minutes...Especially if he is as hard working as it sounds. Given a year of S&C and college coaching plus hundreds of additional shots (3s) and I think this kid gets off the bench...maybe not every game but perhaps in games where offense is stagnant to give it a jump start.

The boneheads are critical of the mods more than anything

Reactions: Jim_from_RU
Can’t believe you are still complaining about this. Yes mod was wrong. We get that. Now you are acting like a 2 year old brat. You crapped on the kid unnecessarily. It’s not his fault. Stop making this about you.
Jesus f’ing Christ. I didn’t crap on the kid. I didn’t say a single bad thing about him. That’s why I’m still talking about this. I said it wasn’t brace yourself type of news. And it’s not. It was a mistake. No big deal. A lot of people agreed. I’m done. If you want to name call then fine. The guy above me can call me a bonehead all he wants.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT