ADVERTISEMENT

North Jersey.com (App.com) Article on Stringer (Behind Paywall)

Can’t really tell but it looks like Coach was at Cheyney University to celebrate the teams 40th final four Anniversary. If you go to their twitter you can see more pictures.

Coach Nadine was in attendance as well. Can’t really tell but she looks okay to me. Maybe the only hold up is getting the official go ahead from her doctor.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletteK80
He stated on the podcast that he is waiting for her to make the decision which is AD speak for my hands are tied and I can't do a damn thing this has lingered for years now as I have said previously he would have liked to have relieved her of her duties a few years ago but the optics and everything else would have put a black eye on the athletic department and the university; she knows this and is and has been taking advantage of the university; if he had any leverage trust me should would be gone by now
Yeah. I'd trust whatever she has to say.. 9 days after new contract in lol. Zero trust earned. Take charge. Why dooesc she get to decide now?

Reactions: bac2therac
Can’t really tell but it looks like Coach was at Cheyney University to celebrate the teams 40th final four Anniversary. If you go to their twitter you can see more pictures.

Coach Nadine was in attendance as well. Can’t really tell but she looks okay to me. Maybe the only hold up is getting the official go ahead from her doctor.

And Betnijah, and her mom, Yolanda Laney. The one picture that concerns me is this one I'll post. She is obviously being helped along, and holding on to the other two people.

This was the same at her 1000 game celebration. Brian Shank followed around constantly, and she looked kinda out of it. Mini strokes? Other wise she seems happy, and I feel much better seeing her

And Betnijah, and her mom, Yolanda Laney. The one picture that concerns me is this one I'll post. She is obviously being helped along, and holding on to the other two people.

This was the same at her 1000 game celebration. Brian Shank followed around constantly, and she looked kinda out of it. Mini strokes? Other wise she seems happy, and I feel much better seeing her
I didn’t see that until you pointed it out. Coaches jacket and the other lady’s jacket blended together. If she was really unstable, shouldn’t she have some type of walking aid?

What ever the case is, I think the team and the fans deserve an answers.

The problem is Rutgers not cvs is taking a hit from the parents of players

Hobbs failed to get out in front of this and Rutgers will end looking like the bad guy instead of working with the players and their parents to oust Stringer

The problem is Rutgers not cvs is taking a hit from the parents of players

Hobbs failed to get out in front of this and Rutgers will end looking like the bad guy instead of working with the players and their parents to oust Stringer
actually it looks like the parents and players are mad at the lack of communication, but would play for CVS if she came back.
Not knowing if she will and the general feeling of being mislead is what they are griping about and the cause of entering the portal.

actually it looks like the parents and players are mad at the lack of communication, but would play for CVS if she came back.
Not knowing if she will and the general feeling of being mislead is what they are griping about and the cause of entering the portal.
That's not how I read the statement from the parents. Yes they were upset by lack of communication (CVS didn't meet with team prior to LOA). I took it as they signed to play for CVS and were excited to play for her (past tense). The fact that they didn't interact with CVS, and the situation never explained, has left a bad taste in their mouth.

Reactions: newell138
Unless Hobbs is going after one of the head or assistant coaches on a Final Four team, he is longgg overdue from making the announcement.

Reactions: bac2therac
Unless Hobbs is going after one of the head or assistant coaches on a Final Four team, he is longgg overdue from making the announcement.
At this rate we are going to be lucky to field a team next year!! It just speaks of how bad CVS has become as obviously she is stringing Hobbs and all of us along

That's not how I read the statement from the parents. Yes they were upset by lack of communication (CVS didn't meet with team prior to LOA). I took it as they signed to play for CVS and were excited to play for her (past tense). The fact that they didn't interact with CVS, and the situation never explained, has left a bad taste in their mouth.

These parts in article :
>Lauded Rutgers women's basketball coach's leave approaches a year, leaving players in limbo
Jean Rimbach & Abbott Koloff NorthJersey.com<

made me feel that the players would stay if they knew Stringer was back.

>Players are starting to enter the transfer portal. Others are considering following them out the door — especially if Stringer doesn’t return — and behind the scenes there has been some discontent with communication by the university and how her coaching replacement has handled the team.<

>“Most of the teammates and their parents, that is like an across-the-board feeling.”
“She wanted to play for a legend, and she was getting that opportunity, and now that opportunity wasn’t there,” the woman added. She said her daughter still wants to play for Stringer and has not yet decided whether to transfer.<

>Ralph Martino said his daughter, Liz, would consider staying at Rutgers if Stringer returns and other changes are made. He said his family loves Rutgers but that Eatman actually pushed his daughter to transfer, berating her in front of the other players and saying, “I will make it so difficult for you that you will leave.”
“If Tim comes back, we have an issue with that,” Martino said.<

>Nikia Sanderlin also took issue with how her daughter, Kierra, was coached this past season, and was critical of Eatman’s behavior. She said that if Stringer doesn’t return, “I don't foresee her playing for Eatman another year.”
Sanderlin said “the program needs to be revamped.”
“As a parent, I'm not really confident in the program at this moment,” she said. “However, I am optimistic that if and when Coach Stringer comes back that there is a possibility that she can revamp the program.”<

>Andrea Lafayette, whose daughter, Erica, a sophomore from Louisiana, had come to Rutgers to play for Stringer, said she understood the coach's taking time off during the pandemic, but acknowledged that it may have affected the team's performance.
“We had a lot of seasoned folks on the court,” she said. “So, no, they shouldn't have had the record that they had, but also the system was chaotic. A legend wasn’t here.”
“I don’t have ill feelings," Lafayette said. "I think young ladies have to take accountability for themselves. I’m hoping that they go back to being one of the number one basketball teams” and that “nobody’s pointing fingers, and just getting it back to where it needs to be.”<

>Ruth Smikle said her daughter, Kaylene, a high school senior who is one of Rutgers’ top recruits for the upcoming season, plans to play for Rutgers even if Stringer remains sidelined, saying she was drawn to the shool because of academics and its proximity to her home in New York state.
“It would be the icing on the cake with coach Vivian,” she said.<

But on the flip side of coin in article:

>Other parents said their daughters may transfer to other schools.<

Key words, in my opinion, is “may transfer “ meaning nothing definitely planned and if they know Stringer is returning the thought of transferring probable will end.

That said, I do believe CVS retiring from coaching and hiring her replacement from outside the cureent staff would be best for the program , even if it causes players to use the portal and need to be re-recruited by the new RU WBB HC and staff

Reactions: Rufan07
These parts in article :
>Lauded Rutgers women's basketball coach's leave approaches a year, leaving players in limbo

>Players are starting to enter the transfer portal. Others are considering following them out the door — especially if Stringer doesn’t return — and behind the scenes there has been some discontent with communication by the university and how her coaching replacement has handled the team.<

>“Most of the teammates and their parents, that is like an across-the-board feeling.”
“She wanted to play for a legend, and she was getting that opportunity, and now that opportunity wasn’t there,” the woman added. She said her daughter still wants to play for Stringer and has not yet decided whether to transfer.<

>Ralph Martino said his daughter, Liz, would consider staying at Rutgers if Stringer returns and other changes are made. He said his family loves Rutgers but that Eatman actually pushed his daughter to transfer, berating her in front of the other players and saying, “I will make it so difficult for you that you will leave.”

>Nikia Sanderlin also took issue with how her daughter, Kierra, was coached this past season, and was critical of Eatman’s behavior. She said that if Stringer doesn’t return, “I don't foresee her playing for Eatman another year.”
“As a parent, I'm not really confident in the program at this moment,” she said. “However, I am optimistic that if and when Coach Stringer comes back that there is a possibility that she can revamp the program.”<

>Andrea Lafayette, whose daughter, Erica, a sophomore from Louisiana, had come to Rutgers to play for Stringer, said she understood the coach's taking time off during the pandemic, but acknowledged that it may have affected the team's performance.
“We had a lot of seasoned folks on the court,” she said. “So, no, they shouldn't have had the record that they had, but also the system was chaotic. A legend wasn’t here.”
“I don’t have ill feelings," Lafayette said. "I think young ladies have to take accountability for themselves. I’m hoping that they go back to being one of the number one basketball teams” and that “nobody’s pointing fingers, and just getting it back to where it needs to be.”<

>Ruth Smikle said her daughter, Kaylene, a high school senior who is one of Rutgers’ top recruits for the upcoming season, plans to play for Rutgers even if Stringer remains sidelined, saying she was drawn to the shool because of academics and its proximity to her home in New York state.

Key words, in my opinion, is “may transfer “ meaning nothing definitely planned and if they know Stringer is returning the thought of transferring probable will end.

That said, I do believe CVS retiring from coaching and hiring her replacement from outside the cureent staff would be best for the program , even if it causes players to use the portal and need to be re-recruited by the new RU WBB HC and staff
Agree to disagree. The damage is done. Players and program is in "limbo." Eatman was handpicked by Stringer to run the program while CVS is gone. I don't see a ringing endorsement by the parents that says these athletes will stay if CVS is back either. I see kid's entering the portal saying they signed to play for CVS and that the program needs to be revamped. Last time I checked revamped is not a good thing. More negative in those comments than positive.

Eatman was a disaster and should be canned. I am sure it was printed somewhere CVS LOA was extended to June 22 so nothing happens till then which I believe Hobbs referred to HR

These parts in article :

I didn’t read the article but the most shocking take as Martino and Sanderlin’s take on Tim.
Even if Stringer comes back does she keep Tim on staff? Most of us wanted him gone anyway because of how awful this year went.
The fans deserve answers!

On another note the transfer portal keeps growing each day but outside of Martino and Maddox no other players from Rutgers has entered the portal.
Do you think they have been informed by Coach Stringer herself that she will be back?
I just find it strange that they wouldn’t have entered yet.
Geno mentioned that it’s a numbers game and some of those players already in the portal will find themselves without a home next season.

Agree to disagree. The damage is done. Players and program is in "limbo." Eatman was handpicked by Stringer to run the program while CVS is gone. I don't see a ringing endorsement by the parents that says these athletes will stay if CVS is back either. I see kid's entering the portal saying they signed to play for CVS and that the program needs to be revamped. Last time I checked revamped is not a good thing. More negative in those comments than positive.
Revamp the program at 74 - sure.

Eatman was a disaster and should be canned. I am sure it was printed somewhere CVS LOA was extended to June 22 so nothing happens till then which I believe Hobbs referred to HR
June!!!! Are you sure? Where did you see this at?

June!!!! Are you sure? Where did you see this at?
Where I read it

>Initially, her return date was set as Aug. 31, 2021. Her leave was later extended at her request to Nov. 1, and then extended again to Jan. 1, 2022, a Rutgers spokesman said in an email.
On Nov. 4, 2021, Stringer’s leave was extended for the third time, with her return date set for June 15, 2022.<

The best way forward in the present moment is .......

Get Tim out of the Head Coaching spot. He was likely the one to get it over Nadine only because he was there longer. Michelle hasn't shown an interest in the top spot.

Put Nadine or Tim's replacement on the staff in the Acting Coach spot. If Chelsea could be talked into doing it or you bring in someone else who can get the best out of the roster. Heck, why not bring in Yolanda Laney as a part of the staff.?! If she is up for it,.....she knows how to develop talent. Did excellent job with her daughter. She could be a valued asset to the staff if Tim is dismissed.

We need to focus on the immediate future instead of completely centering on what eventually happens with Coach Stringer. So many unknowns with CVS' future. Let's deal with what we know and can affect right now.

Last edited:
The best way forward in the present moment is .......

Get Tim out of the Head Coaching spot. He was likely the one to get it over Nadine because he was there longer. Michelle hasn't shown an interest in the top spot.

Put Nadine or Tim's replacement on the staff in the Acting Coach spot. If Chelsea could be talked into doing it or you bring in someone else who can get the best out of the roster. Heck, why not bring in Yolanda Laney as a part of the staff.?! If she is up for it,.....she knows how to develop talent. Did excellent job with her daughter. She could be a valued asset to the staff if Tim is dismissed.

We need to focus on the immediate future instead of completely centering on what eventually happens with Coach Stringer. So many unknowns with CVS' future. Let's deal with what we know and can affect right now.
What needs to be done is let Stringer know she won't be given another extension and out of loyalty to her the administrative position is available at the same salary and if she's still not healthy enough to work the same LOA terms will be put in effect, except as a Athletic Department administrative position, not Head Coach.

On June 16th 2022, Hobbs starts interviewing candidates for the permanent RU WBB HC position if CVS isn't back and ready to handle the HC role.
If Stringer says she's coming back and then finds oput health still not up to it, no LOA unless she moves to administration and the process of removing her because she's not healthy enough to do the job starts and a interim HC is named
(Tim is ineligible, if he's still on staff)

What needs to be done is let Stringer know she won't be given another extension and out of loyalty to her the administrative position is available at the same salary and if she's still not healthy enough to work the same LOA terms will be put in effect, except as a Athletic Department administrative position, not Head Coach.

On June 16th 2022, Hobbs starts interviewing candidates for the permanent RU WBB HC position if CVS isn't back and ready to handle the HC role.
If Stringer says she's coming back and then finds oput health still not up to it, no LOA unless she moves to administration and the process of removing her because she's not healthy enough to do the job starts and a interim HC is named
(Tim is ineligible, if he's still on staff)
Hobbs can do all of that.......BUT, in the meantime, it's April 1st. June is too long to wait before any actions are taken to secure the current roster and ease anxieties about next season and who could possibly be coaching.

Each day that Tim remains as Acting HC, I fear, is another day closer to entering the portal for some players. From what you and others have posted above about what was said in the article, it looks like most, if not all currently on the roster, do not want to leave.

What I laid out above can be done along with what you suggest here.

Hobbs can do all of that.......BUT, in the meantime, it's April 1st. June is too long to wait before any actions are taken to secure the current roster and ease anxieties about next season and who could possibly be coaching.

Each day that Tim remains as Acting HC, I fear, is another day closer to entering the portal for some players. From what you and others have posted above about what was said in the article, it looks like most, if not all currently on the roster, do not want to leave.

What I laid out above can be done along with what you suggest here.
1) End Tim's interim status and let him go
2) Let it be known a coaching search will start June 16th if CVS isn't ready to retake the helm by then ( letting Vivian , the parents and players know that is going to be announced)
3) Tell the RU HR this has gone on long enough and no extensions should be given dragging the situation out even longer.( if the HR is the one giving extensions or advising the extension must be given when asked)
4) Let Vivian know the administrative position will be open for her if she can't return by June 15th, but the coaching job will be taken from her if she can't return by June 15
5) Hobbs and the RU President tells the RU Legal department to find a way to terminate Stringer paying her in full if needed , but make sure she can't return as HC if she can't meet the June 15th deadline
6) If CVS claims she's healthy enough to return to the rigors of coaching, she must bring a medical release for returning and submit to a physical exam by a physician of RU's choosing to make sure .
7) Vivian is made to understand no more LOAs and if the job proves to much for her health she will be moved out of her HC position whether she likes it or not .
She'll be asked to retire, given HC Emeritus status and given an administrative roll within the program if she agrees.
If not, terminated and all honors and administrative positions offered put on hold until the dust settles.

Can not believe this has been tolerated for a whole year. I have been at places where people were threatened with firing because they went a few days over pregnancy or bereavement leave. Either announce she is being replaced or she is coming back today, no more of this nonsense.
Man, if you worked at a place that did that you should have quit and found a new company to work at.it's

How did she not have to pass some sort of dr exam before the last contract was signed? She filed for LOA one week later.
Lighting 5 million dollars on fire is something else.

Administrative position? Lol.

Wondering why there are two threads on the same article? The mergerator loves to merge threads, but not these two?

Anyway, CVS has been making videos for Twitter and going to Cheney State for the ceremony. Has she (or why can't she) hold meetings with the team via Zoom/Teams/Webex to at least give the players the feeling she still has some part of coaching the team?

Wondering why there are two threads on the same article? The mergerator loves to merge threads, but not these two?

Anyway, CVS has been making videos for Twitter and going to Cheney State for the ceremony. Has she (or why can't she) hold meetings with the team via Zoom/Teams/Webex to at least give the players the feeling she still has some part of coaching the team?
I understand that her LOA prevents her from being in contract with the program like you , I and everyone want her to be.
NCAA rules makes it so she can't be considered part of the WBB program while she's on a LOA from it.
Making tweets and videos along with attend ceremonies are something she can do if it doesn't involve the RU WBB program..

Reactions: Knight Shift
Bs. Tell her June 16 she is an administrative role. Stop the nonsense thinking this 70 + woman is physically and emotionally capable of running the WBB program. Start the freaking HC search at 12:01 am June 16

Bs. Tell her June 16 she is an administrative role. Stop the nonsense thinking this 70 + woman is physically and emotionally capable of running the WBB program. Start the freaking HC search at 12:01 am June 16
not bs when leave is taken as a coach.( if that's what you mean)
but LOA from an administrative position in the Athletic Department might be the same, but I can't say it is.
But if you mean what's going on and lack of communication about it is bs, totally agree

Agree with start the HC search time and date you set .
My reason is that due to fatigue in 2019, age now and possible health concerns make it look like she isn't a lock to last the term left in her contract and she already had 3 extensions given because she wasn't ready to return.
No more extensions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Time to shit or get off the pot because (now ) what's going on isn't smelling right

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT