ADVERTISEMENT

OT: President Holloway's budget address (mentions athletics)

retired711

Heisman Winner
Nov 20, 2001
Cherry Hill
I thought perhaps his speech would interest you. He talks about what is being done to solve the University's structural deficit and gives nice pie charts on where Rutgers' revenues come from (27% tuition, 21% the state, 21% patient care, etc.) and expenditures -- unsurprisingly, compensation to faculty and staff takes up the lion's share. He characterizes spending on athletics as an investment, and says it accounts for 3% of University spending. He also says the subsidy is 0.73% which (if I understand right) means that revenues are about three-quarters of expenditures. The speech also talks about the upsurge in applications and its implications. Anyway, I posted it here because I thought some of you would want to at least skim it.

https://www.rutgers.edu/president/2024-budget-address-university-senate

Thanks for posting.

Did not realize the minimal cost of athletics as a percentage of the overall budget. Also, President Holloway clearly understands the positive and necessary role of athletic success on the University as a whole.

Thanks for posting.

Did not realize the minimal cost of athletics as a percentage of the overall budget. Also, President Holloway clearly understands the positive and necessary role of athletic success on the University as a whole.
There's another way of looking at it. Holloway says that the operating deficit was last year was $88.5 million. He also anticipates that revenues from New Jersey will decrease. The total budget is $5.4 billion, and so a subsidy of 0.73% of that budget equals about $40 million -- a little less than half the deficit. Given those numbers, it's easy to see why the subsidy is controversial.

My own view, FWIW (nothing) is that athletics themselves perform an educational function (virtually everyone who has ever played an individual or team sport, revenue or non-revenue, agrees) and that being good in athletics improves the public's perception of Rutgers and thus helps the school raise money and attract good students. But not every good faith observer is going to agree with that.

Last edited:
There's another way of looking at it. Holloway says that the operating deficit was last year was $88.5 million. He also anticipates that revenues from New Jersey will decrease. The total budget is $5.4 billion, and so a subsidy of 0.73% of that budget equals about $40 million -- a little less than half the deficit. Given those numbers, it's easy to see why the subsidy is controversial.

My own view, FWIW (nothing) is that athletics themselves perform an educational function (virtually everyone who has ever played an individual or team sport, revenue or non-revenue, agrees) and that being good in athletics improves the public's perception of Rutgers and thus helps the school raise money and attract good students. But not every good faith observer is going to agree with that.
Cancel all sports and other non-essential programs like the RU library system, the various on campus museums, the student centers and the elitist golf course. Just keep football and MBB - problem solved.

Rutgers is very fortunate to have landed in the B1G
Colleges and teams will just vanish.
America's standard of living is evaporating and colleges are a mess.
VDH said Stanford has 15,000 administrators for 16,000 students.
Zoomers are already feeling despair unlike others before them.
Ivy League downplayed its sports and look what it got them?

revenues should be increasing from the state. it's such bs that we expect less revenues from the state.

Cancel all sports and other non-essential programs like the RU library system, the various on campus museums, the student centers and the elitist golf course. Just keep football and MBB - problem solved.
Surely you jest, right?

Libraries non-essential to a university? Rutgers Golf Course elitist? Lol.

I thought perhaps his speech would interest you. He talks about what is being done to solve the University's structural deficit and gives nice pie charts on where Rutgers' revenues come from (27% tuition, 21% the state, 21% patient care, etc.) and expenditures -- unsurprisingly, compensation to faculty and staff takes up the lion's share. He characterizes spending on athletics as an investment, and says it accounts for 3% of University spending. He also says the subsidy is 0.73% which (if I understand right) means that revenues are about three-quarters of expenditures. The speech also talks about the upsurge in applications and its implications. Anyway, I posted it here because I thought some of you would want to at least skim it.

RU's endowment grew back to just a hair under $2B again at $1.98B after dipping a bit after FY22.

revenues should be increasing from the state. it's such bs that we expect less revenues from the state.
We do better than some states in the B1G. The California and Michigan schools get single digit budget support from the state and their boards are packed with state beauracrats. We're the opposite thank God.

Reactions: Knight Shift
We do better than some states in the B1G. The California and Michigan schools get single digit budget support from the state and their boards are packed with state beauracrats. We're the opposite thank God.
The flagships in both states are damn good. They are doing something right.

The flagships in both states are damn good. They are doing something right.
It's hard to compare percentages of state support because not all money is created equal. Federal support money is mostly tied to specific research projects; medical revenue stays in medical services. The money that actually goes to support instruction basically comes from tuition, state support (although even some of this is restricted), earnings on the endowment, and private donations (although here too some is restricted to non-educational purposes).

The most important fact about the Rutgers budget, IMHO, is that it is in deficit. Holloway is not the only observer who thinks state support will be tighter this year and so the problem of balancing the budget is not going to disappear. So the issue of how the university should spend its money is one that will stay with us.

Reactions: ashokan

Thanks for posting, good to know the numbers. Yet despite the facts, unfortunately we will continue to hear many people repeating the tired notion that "Rutgers spends all its money on football."

Once the football and basketball players are officially declared employees when the Dartmouth decision is affirmed on March 5 and they vote to unionize it will be only a short time before the conferences will be forced to share the media $s with the players. Will Rutgers and other schools such as Northwestern, Vanderbilt, etc. be in a position to compete with diminished media revenues with the top tier sports factories in the B1G and SEC, only time will tell.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Once the football and basketball players are officially declared employees when the Dartmouth decision is affirmed on March 5 and they vote to unionize it will be only a short time before the conferences will be forced to share the media $s with the players. Will Rutgers and other schools such as Northwestern, Vanderbilt, etc. be in a position to compete with diminished media revenues with the top tier sports factories in the B1G and SEC, only time will tell.
The Dartmouth decision has no legal effect on Rutgers because the National Labor Relations Board's jurisdiction does not extend to public employers. It may not even have an effect on private schools like Northwestern that are part of conferences dominated by public universities. I think direct compensation for athletes is on its way, but the Dartmouth decision will not itself lead to that.

almost as if you're rooting for it

The Dartmouth decision has no legal effect on Rutgers because the National Labor Relations Board's jurisdiction does not extend to public employers. It may not even have an effect on private schools like Northwestern that are part of conferences dominated by public universities. I think direct compensation for athletes is on its way, but the Dartmouth decision will not itself lead to that.
Of course it will, the momentum is building, not long before legislation in blue states will follow. Very naive to believe that if the decision is affirmed that it will not eventually affect all of college athletics.

Of course it will, the momentum is building, not long before legislation in blue states will follow. Very naive to believe that if the decision is affirmed that it will not eventually affect all of college athletics.
I guess I'm being a persnickety lawyer. The Dartmouth decision will not obligate schools like Rutgers to allow unionization because Rutgers isn't private. But I agree it's certainly going to prove to be a huge step in that direction just as you suggest.

He needs to take out the trash with the faculty. Starting with the antisemitic ones. Also, he needs to fight back agains political censorship. Diversity of thought should be encouraged and celebrated.
To his credit he has been pretty consistent with defending this so far when issues have come up.

He needs to take out the trash with the faculty. Starting with the antisemitic ones. Also, he needs to fight back agains political censorship. Diversity of thought should be encouraged and celebrated.
It is amazing how he puts up with some of the racist profs. Free speech is one thing but I know my employer would not put up with some of the crap I’ve heard from faculty

Typically weird post.

The ivies are fine, but overall I think there are unfavorable demographics matriculating through the education system right now…smaller generational cohorts than in the past (a trend likely to continue), and higher interest rates are only hastening questions about the debt for a degree value proposition. A lot of colleges are seeing declining enrollment; agree that being in the Big Ten has protected RU against this trend.

Sorry, but in academia the first amendment only seems to "protect" left wing hate speech. Group think is very dangerous anytime, anywhere, for any reason.
When you say groupthink, do you find the "we suck we suck we suck OMG we won" fans annoying? Because I certainly do and that probably makes up 90% of the posters here. Negative fans cloak themselves as realists and gang up on those here that have positive opinions of certain players and coaches.

When you say groupthink, do you find the "we suck we suck we suck OMG we won" fans annoying? Because I certainly do and that probably makes up 90% of the posters here. Negative fans cloak themselves as realists and gang up on those here that have positive opinions of certain players and coaches.

He just means he wants to cancel the people that disagree with him and his various handles, Constitution be damned.

Reactions: rutgersfan1766
Holloway is a diversity hire. He'll never do it. We need to take our country back from these people- starting in November.

• Haha
Reactions: NotInRHouse
Except the antisemitic thought?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT