ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern- Fitzgerald Suspended, Now Fired Due to Hazing

“A current Northwestern player, who asked to remain anonymous, also told ESPN on Sunday that the former player, whose hazing allegations late in 2022 launched the investigation, informed him of a detailed plan with the sole objective to take down Fitzgerald. The current player on Sunday relayed a conversation he said he had early this year with the former player to Northwestern trustees and other influential university figures.

"He just kept emphasizing, 'Yeah, it'll be OK, I'm just trying to get Coach Fitz fired,'" the current player told ESPN. "I don't think he ever acknowledged what he's saying is not true. It was just like, 'I might embellish or exaggerate to get Coach Fitz fired.' He said his sole goal was to see Coach Fitz rot in jail.

"The truth is none of that stuff happened in our locker room."

“A current Northwestern player, who asked to remain anonymous, also told ESPN on Sunday that the former player, whose hazing allegations late in 2022 launched the investigation, informed him of a detailed plan with the sole objective to take down Fitzgerald. The current player on Sunday relayed a conversation he said he had early this year with the former player to Northwestern trustees and other influential university figures.

"He just kept emphasizing, 'Yeah, it'll be OK, I'm just trying to get Coach Fitz fired,'" the current player told ESPN. "I don't think he ever acknowledged what he's saying is not true. It was just like, 'I might embellish or exaggerate to get Coach Fitz fired.' He said his sole goal was to see Coach Fitz rot in jail.

Maybe there’s some embellishment by a disgruntled player or players, but the independent investigation interviewed more than fifty people and had over ten years worth of emails at their disposal. This isn’t a giant imaginary smear campaign.

Maybe there’s some embellishment by a disgruntled player or players, but the independent investigation interviewed more than fifty people and had over ten years worth of emails at their disposal. This isn’t a giant imaginary smear campaign.
Im sure there was some level of “hazing”. Theres hazing everywhere. Theres different levels to it though of course.

Yes and other players have said it was bad and Fitz knew and didn't do a thing.

No. Just curious. Because itd have to be pretty bad to rat out your teammates about.
It’s bad to commit crimes KyK. What has been described is criminal as Hazing is illegal in most states. Coaches get fired for much less. Kevin Bannon was fired for naked free throws, which is nothing compared for what’s described here.

Much different environment from when we went to school. Going back even further in the 70’s they had pledges doing push-ups in the streets.

Yeah, I mean if there was legitimate sexual assault this whistle blower wouldve went to the police. Theres probably some form of hazing that occurred but this is a money grab more than anything else imo
They went to the school. Isn't the school required to notify the police?

Yes, in this case I I trust the investigators more than the disgruntled, anonymous players. But most importantly, as I have said, there’s no way for me to know.

I find it odd that’s so many posters in this thread are sure that they do know, and that they are so anxious to condemn…
What investigators? Northwestern investigating themselves does not cut it.

They went to the school. Isn't the school required to notify the police?
Yes, which leads me to believe theres no sexual assault.

Further, if you were sexually assaulted at work, are you going to hr or the police? The police, no?

The only thing I know for sure is that Northwestern and President Schill totally screwed up the handling of the announcement of this. How they didn’t anticipate that their very vague announcement was going to blow up in their faces is hard to comprehend.

What investigators? Northwestern investigating themselves does not cut it.
The investigation conducted since December by the former Illinois Inspector General.

It’s cool if you are so certain about all of this. I am waiting for the message board frenzy to pass and for more information before passing judgment...

I gotta be honest, that doesnt seem awful.

1) a basic fake “dry hump” (its not its a group tight bear hug im told by a former player) while everyone is clothed really isnt a big deal

2) clapping by someones face again, not a big deal

3) spraying water at guys in the shower. Again, like not a big deal.

4) the gatorade shake is honestly probably the worst one haha. That would suck.

But its 2023 so fitz probably doesnt survive this one.
You think dropping the F-bomb during the national anthem at MSG is cool and funny. Your response above (in addition to your MSG chants) helps support my thoughts that you have some F-ed up morals.
This may be the worst take in the history of these boards. Epically bad.
That would be incorrect. Anybody defending Paterno after he allowed Sandusky to continue his abuse at PSU would have ultimate dibs on the worst take in board history.

Reactions: wisr01
Harvard AD comments about recent alleged hazing on Harvard's women's ice hockey team (their coach recently retired).

"Our current women's ice hockey team has not fostered a culture of hazing," McDermott said in a statement earlier this week. "However, it is clear that some traditions in recent years were experienced differently by different people and not all were comfortable with those activities or with expressing concerns relating to the program. We now have an opportunity to end team traditions that are harmful to team culture and inconsistent with our community norms."

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...arvard-ad-no-culture-hazing-women-hockey-team

Read The Athletic story on this.

I'm still not seeing any verifiable evidence that anything remotely like what was described in the media actually occurred. Just lots of noise from twitter personalities and media outlets (that appear to be citing one-another or citing anonymous and/or unvetted sources).

The entire thing seems very much like a he-said, she-said thing. We have the school, post-investigation, issuing a slap on the wrist and not releasing details. Which never would've happened if the law firm investigation revealed the worst of what has been alleged. There would be multiple arrests if those things were true.

We have some number of players on the current team issuing a letter claiming that a lot of the stories out there are false. We have one unknown person, purportedly a former player and the source of the worst of the allegations, allegedly quoted as saying he's making stuff up trying to get the coach fired by another anonymous, purportedly current player.

So I ask again, how is anybody reaching any conclusions about any of this?

I'm still not seeing any verifiable evidence that anything remotely like what was described in the media actually occurred. Just lots of noise from twitter personalities and media outlets (that appear to be citing one-another or citing anonymous and/or unvetted sources).

The entire thing seems very much like a he-said, she-said thing. We have the school, post-investigation, issuing a slap on the wrist and not releasing details. Which never would've happened if the law firm investigation revealed the worst of what has been alleged. There would be multiple arrests if those things were true.

We have some number of players on the current team issuing a letter claiming that a lot of the stories out there are false. We have one unknown person, purportedly a former player and the source of the worst of the allegations, allegedly quoted as saying he's making stuff up trying to get the coach fired by another anonymous, purportedly current player.

He said she said. Isnt that what most sex assaults are? Did you expect video?

The investigation conducted since December by the former Illinois Inspector General.

It’s cool if you are so certain about all of this. I am waiting for the message board frenzy to pass and for more information before passing judgment...

Inspector General hired by Northwestern.

He said she said. Isnt that what most sex assaults are? Did you expect video?
I expect people to be skeptical of what they read or hear second-hand. Do you think it's a good idea to convict people based on what's put out by the media?

LOL. A team that might be 15% White is racist.
doubt a raciest team, but also doubt the low estimate of white players
on roster
https://nusports.com/sports/football/roster/2022

Also found this
The enrolled student population at Northwestern University, both undergraduate and graduate, is 43.1% White, 15.5% Asian, 9.24% Hispanic or Latino, 5.67% Black or African American, 4.01% Two or More Races, 0.128% American Indian or Alaska Native, and 0.0354% Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islanders.

Agreed. Hope it’s not true (or as bad as some say) as Fitz always seemed like one of the good guys in college FB.

But then again, JoPa was also part of that club, once upon a time.

These kids smell blood in the water and see dollar signs now. You got players from 2 decades ago now looking for the bag.
I mean, maybe the program was/is a cesspool of homoerotic hazing and racism. I'm not saying it didn't happen.

But it feels too neatly lined up. It feels planned. It feels contrived and stinks of ulterior motives. Not saying that's the case. We just don't know what happened. But that's how it seems to me.

Because, in order to believe the allegations, we also have to believe that across years of different big, tough D1 football players, with all the alleged toxic stuff going on, not one player had the toughness to report it to the school or the coach or the media?

If these were kids or battered women who were prayed upon on by larger, stronger, asshole husbands or BFs, then it's believable. Sadly, that happens all the time in those contexts. It's the strong preying on the weak.

But football players who spend their lives being screamed at on the field? They are not weak at all. Not physically and not mentally. They're ALL gonna be too afraid to speak out? Even after transferring or otherwise leaving the team? I find that extremely difficult to believe.

I mean, maybe the program was/is a cesspool of homoerotic hazing and racism. I'm not saying it didn't happen.

But it feels too neatly lined up. It feels planned. It feels contrived and stinks of ulterior motives. Not saying that's the case. We just don't know what happened. But that's how it seems to me.

Because, in order to believe the allegations, we also have to believe that across years of different big, tough D1 football players, with all the alleged toxic stuff going on, not one player had the toughness to report it to the school or the coach or the media?

If these were kids or battered women who were prayed upon on by larger, stronger, asshole husbands or BFs, then it's believable. Sadly, that happens all the time in those contexts. It's the strong preying on the weak.

But football players who spend their lives being screamed at on the field? They are not weak at all. Not physically and not mentally. They're ALL gonna be too afraid to speak out? Even after transferring or otherwise leaving the team? I find that extremely difficult to believe.
Thats my skepticism as well paired with the “whistle blower” literally saying he planned on embellishing things to ensure fitz gets canned

Agreed. Hope it’s not true (or as bad as some say) as Fitz always seemed like one of the good guys in college FB.

But then again, JoPa was also part of that club, once upon a time.
I hope it's not true, too (the ugly allegations - we know some hazing occurred). I find the whole thing extremely hard to believe. But who knows.

I think the Sandusky thing was different. It was a coach preying on little kids. These are D1 football players. I gotta think more than a few players would've refused to play along and the whole thing would've blown up the very first season it started.

Maybe we'll find out one day. If some of this ever makes it to court. My guess is it never gets that far.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
These kids smell blood in the water and see dollar signs now. You got players from 2 decades ago now looking for the bag.
As always, it's best to wait for the investigation to conclude before jumping to conclusions. The problem for Northwestern now is that there is a perception and perhaps a stink on the program. If Fitz survives, that stink should go away in time. However, once the lawyers get involved, whether he did anything wrong or not, Fitz' job may not survive the media scrutiny.

Would you want a player who was known to be one of the ones forcing this on underclassmen?
Depends if he can help you get to a bowl game .
Myles hartsfield still got a full scholarship and played in the nfl . No one seems to have a problem with what he rammed up some freshman in the sayreville hs locker room; he which is sad

Reactions: MoreCowbellRU

There’s certainly enough out there for anyone following the story to believe there was hazing; I don’t know the extent or severity. With that disclaimer:

It’s not hard to believe that a group of men in the situation you describe could / would silently abide such hazing. It becomes part of the culture, especially if veteran guys are participating in it (or even coaches…)

Guys who have an issue with it might keep their mouths shut, even if they don’t actively participate in it, for fear of rocking the boat, ostracizing themselves, damaging the careers / reputations of guys they otherwise respect as teammates.

Frats, sports teams, military, even corporate world…there are tons of cases where terrible hazing or inappropriate group behavior has gone on for longer than you’d otherwise expect.

Thats my skepticism as well paired with the “whistle blower” literally saying he planned on embellishing things to ensure fitz gets canned
I don't know if he did or did not say he would embellish - but what you are hanging your hat to is a clear case of hearsay...

I don't know if he did or did not say he would embellish - but what you are hanging your hat to is a clear case of hearsay...
The individual said that the whistleblower told him this directly. Just as the whistleblower is saying he saw/heard something directly. Same thing, no?

This is the part where the pile on starts for Fitz and Northwestern:

Yep. Here comes the pile on. Activist student organizations and activist professors LOVE going after sports teams, especially football. Going to be hard to sort through the truth, embellishments and lies. And that’s exactly what they will want. The press will pump our article after article because it gets them clicks.

As always, it's best to wait for the investigation to conclude before jumping to conclusions. The problem for Northwestern now is that there is a perception and perhaps a stink on the program. If Fitz survives, that stink should go away in time. However, once the lawyers get involved, whether he did anything wrong or not, Fitz' job may not survive the media scrutiny.
I was listening to big ten radio on sirius this afternoon and they brought up some interesting things.

1) a few summers ago at the peak of the BLM thing Ferentz and Iowa were accused of bullying and racism and it was a media firestorm for a couple weeks that resulted in the strength coach taking the hit and getting canned

2) I forget the 3 guys hosting but they all said, “look weve all seen worse but times are different today. Back when we played (they played in 90’s and 2000’s for iowa and ohio state) the things we are hearing out of NW dont sound that bad but its not the 90’s any more and times are different. You cant do the same stuff these days.”

3) talked about how theyd pin a freshman down and “rough him up” not to hurt them but to let them know who the boss was. They kind of compared it to sounding similar to the accusation of 8-10 guys pinning down a freshman.

I said it earlier in the thread but for those who never played football you wont understand. Football culture had alot of hazing. Things that sound crazy were just the norm. Now times have changed but if youre a woman or someone who never played ball this all sounds nuts to you. But pretty much anyone who played pre-social media days dealt with some level of hazing. Some worse than others

doubt a raciest team, but also doubt the low estimate of white players
on roster
https://nusports.com/sports/football/roster/2022

Also found this
The enrolled student population at Northwestern University, both undergraduate and graduate, is 43.1% White, 15.5% Asian, 9.24% Hispanic or Latino, 5.67% Black or African American, 4.01% Two or More Races, 0.128% American Indian or Alaska Native, and 0.0354% Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islanders.
What's the other 22%? Did not disclose?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT